ROI

Yellow Ledbetters

ROI

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:04 pm

I just wanted someone to confirm my thinking...
A $1000 satellite collects $15000 and pays out $12,000 for a profit margin for the NFBC of 20%.
The main event collects $720,000 (30 contests x $1600) and pays out $546.450 for a rake of roughly 24%.

All other factors even would it be safe to say satellites have the greater ROI? Or is there another NFBC contest with a rake lower than 20%?

I'm not trying to get into a debate of pros and cons of strictly looking at ROI, just wanting to find the contest where the most money gets paid out.

KJ Duke

Re: ROI

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote:I just wanted someone to confirm my thinking...
A $1000 satellite collects $15000 and pays out $12,000 for a profit margin for the NFBC of 20%.
The main event collects $720,000 (30 contests x $1600) and pays out $546.450 for a rake of roughly 24%.

All other factors even would it be safe to say satellites have the greater ROI? Or is there another NFBC contest with a rake lower than 20%?

I'm not trying to get into a debate of pros and cons of strictly looking at ROI, just wanting to find the contest where the most money gets paid out.
That's a no brainer, join the Platinum.

4 spots open
Highest ROI

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:25 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote:I just wanted someone to confirm my thinking...

We don't have 30 leagues in the Main Event. We had 28 leagues last year.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:35 pm

Valid point Greg.

What I'm getting at though is if someone wanted to "grind" out maximum profit without chasing the big prize satellites would be the way to go if my math is right, correct?

I don't see Platinum listed but I assume the entry is above the $1500 I'm willing to risk on any one entry.

Kudos to NFBC for being very competitive with regards to payout %.I also respect that the NFBC doesn't charge the small time $125 satellite players a higher ROI like some competitors.

I'm not a lottery player so I don't chase the grand prizes unless it was tilted to where the ROI was extremely favorable. The DC's are fun to hold me over until satellites start but i know the ROI is not as favorable.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Never mind..if you click "contests" from inside the main screen it shows the Platinum league. IF you do it from the message board it does not.

That is more than i would invest in fantasy baseball plus I'm not willing to travel to draft but best of luck to you KJ.

Travel expenses alone put a dent in the ROI. If the main event didn't have an online option i wouldn't even consider it.

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:52 pm

Boy there is something about this discussion that makes me feel badly. It shouldn't because everyone has a right indeed to work to make the most profit he or she can in these games. But I wonder what the NFBC/NFFC would be if everyone had that approach. No one would go to a live event because of the extra expenses incurred. Owners would abandon their teams once they are mathematically eliminated (or close to it) even if it could impact the final standings. I don't know, I get the question - a totally fair one. Just not sure why it bothers me so much. Dave
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:07 pm

I respect your opinion Dave. For me, it comes down to your motives. I have hobbies and things I do for the love of it. Most of those things involve my family as fellow participants. Fantasy baseball is something I do on my own strictly for profit. Don't get me wrong...I enjoy it. But I would not do it for free or if i was not good at it. I combine it with my gambling (sports investing) and treat it like a business on a Schedule C. I keep detailed records and know where i am to the penny each year.
I am fortunate enough to have a well paying job, but with that comes a decent amount of travel. I would not want to add to that travel for fantasy baseball so the opportunity to do it online is key. As far as the well being of the NFBC/NFFC...that is for their leadership to worry about. I pay my fees and play fairly. If they price their product and manage it well the profit takes care of itself. I don't mean to sound cold but it is just business to me.

I do have a competitive streak that would not allow me to abandon a team so that isn't really an issue.

On the bright side there are room for people like you Dave who love the game and people who participate in it, and people like me who do it for profit only. Best of luck this year.

davetniagarafalls

Post by davetniagarafalls » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:20 pm

I totally understand that position. Thank you for not seeing my response as an attack in any way. It's always difficult to get the spirit of emails/posts across in forums like this. It's funny. One of the guys who I partner up with on some of my drafts got together with me last night to talk about the season, and I was talking with him about the challenges in managing the teams during the season - in part because I do too many drafts. And he reminded me that I need to get over making moves in leagues where I/we have no chance to win. And that too sounded cold to me. BUT, we found a happy medium where I will work hard to prioritize the leagues at least, especially when time seems to be of the essence. But I am like you. I am competitive. So I DO care about finishing 8th instead of 10th. Though, truth be told, nobody else probably cares. Anyway, good luck also to you this year. Cheers! Dave
"Dont sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff."

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44 am

Basic humanity 101 is being able to listen to opinions different from your own and have intelligent discussions without getting personal.

My pet peeve is people who think everyone should think like them or do things the way they do. I was in a DC with a guy who whined the entire two weeks because another player was punting categories. I don't see these tactics as being profitable in the long run (or I would be doing it) but I would never question how someone else drafted as long as it was within the rules. The other topic he whined constantly about was that the $400 DC's pay the same to 1-3 place. Most people would simply choose a different contest that had payout terms more suitable to their personal preference. Not this guy...he rather complain because of this misguided notion that his opinion was more important than others. He absolutely hated the fact that all i cared about was winning...called it the pokerization of fantasy sports. Guy turned out to have a horrible draft..go figure.

The live events are great for people who want the bonding and comraderie as part of the draft experience. I hear the NFBC does a great job with these events. The message boards give people who have time/interest in writing about the hobby a place to do so. There is also room for people like me who want to use a strong grasp of game theory and statistics to make some extra cash.

I can respect any man who can disagree with me respectfully. Kudos to you for staying competitive..don't listen to your friend lol. Keep worrying about every team regardless of standings. One of those teams will come back and win...

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote:Basic humanity 101 is being able to listen to opinions different from your own and have intelligent discussions without getting personal.

My pet peeve is people who think everyone should think like them or do things the way they do. I was in a DC with a guy who whined the entire two weeks because another player was punting categories. I don't see these tactics as being profitable in the long run (or I would be doing it) but I would never question how someone else drafted as long as it was within the rules. The other topic he whined constantly about was that the $400 DC's pay the same to 1-3 place. Most people would simply choose a different contest that had payout terms more suitable to their personal preference. Not this guy...he rather complain because of this misguided notion that his opinion was more important than others. He absolutely hated the fact that all i cared about was winning...called it the pokerization of fantasy sports. Guy turned out to have a horrible draft..go figure.

The live events are great for people who want the bonding and comraderie as part of the draft experience. I hear the NFBC does a great job with these events. The message boards give people who have time/interest in writing about the hobby a place to do so. There is also room for people like me who want to use a strong grasp of game theory and statistics to make some extra cash.

I can respect any man who can disagree with me respectfully. Kudos to you for staying competitive..don't listen to your friend lol. Keep worrying about every team regardless of standings. One of those teams will come back and win...
My pet peeve is people who say "shut up" when they don't like your opinion.
Especially when it's an American since most of you would fight to defend The Constitution which includes Freedom of Speech.

(Since we're sharing)

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Thank you for sharing Deadheadz. You are a good dude.

There seems to be plenty here that have an over inflated sense of their importance to other people. I don't care how obnoxious or opinionated the people on the MB are...as long as their money is green we are cool. My bank accepts the money of nice people and a-holes alike.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:21 pm

Oh, aren't you just special? Didn't we already litigate this? You are clearly referring to me AGAIN in spite of prior warning. And you have once again passive-aggressively directed something towards me of which I was never involved nor commented. Well, I won't be personally attacked without rebuttal.
Basic humanity 101 is being able to listen to opinions different from your own and have intelligent discussions without getting personal.

(Passive)

Make an idealized statement, claim oneself to be acting in accordance with idealized notion, then do the complete opposite of said ideal. Classic passive-aggressive behavior. See statement below.
I was in a DC with a guy who whined the entire two weeks because another player was punting categories. The other topic he whined constantly about was that the $400 DC's pay the same to 1-3 place. Most people would simply choose a different contest that had payout terms more suitable to their personal preference. Not this guy...he rather complain because of this misguided notion that his opinion was more important than others.

(Aggressive)

I posted my thoughts on this on the MB. Still feel strongly about it. NEVER claimed my opinion was more important than others. Stated my opinion clearly and why I thought the way I did. I think someone else brought it up in the chat room and it was discussed one night. Some agreed. Some, like you, (though I don't remember if you ever weighed in on subject or not) did not. In fact, I acknowledged it was all well within the rules but I want to play in games where the prize structure encourages and rewards playing for FIRST place, not THIRD. You have made it clear you play for "investment" purposes. I prefer to play in games that reward first place and discourage 3rd place finishes and reward Championships, not merely to "show," in horse-racing speak. I have since joined two DC contests that have a traditional prize structure which typically, because of the prize structure, "forces" owners to draft well-balanced teams, and most likely avoids punting strategies.
He absolutely hated the fact that all i cared about was winning...called it the pokerization of fantasy sports.

You overstate my feelings and overestimate your importance in my life. I don't even know who you are. You are nothing to me and irrelevant until you called me out for no reason in a post I was not even engaged with. I had no idea what you care about nor what motivates you until you explained you play to "grind out maximum profit" and this is for "sports investing," and not for fun. I don't even remember any chat room interaction with you. For the most part, I thought things were cordial. I am a bit of a smart-ass, so maybe it came across more harshly than intended, especially to such a buttoned-up investment guy like yourself. Again, busting balls is part of the fun to me. Apparently, not to you. This is serious stuff I know when you have investments on the line. This is play money to me, not investing. I have a portfolio and mutual funds for my investments.
Guy turned out to have a horrible draft..go figure.
This coming from the same Dunce who drafted Hiroki Kuroda in the 28th Round and who goes by the team name of "Shandler's Folly."
There is also room for people like me who want to use a strong grasp of game theory and statistics to make some extra cash.
Sure is room for you, son. Now go read one of Doughboys' posts about the Yahoo-types and others' first-timers forays into the NFBC. As far as I know, you have never actually won anything in the NFBC. Until you do, I suggest you refrain from discussion on your strong grasp of game theory and statistics.
There seems to be plenty here that have an over inflated sense of their importance to other people.
Indeed.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Son I've seen you draft. Perhaps less time should be spent on your "rebuttals" and more on research. If you are new to fantasy baseball and need help call my secretary and I will personally tutor you free of charge because I'm a nice guy. If you are just lashing out because you feel intellectually inferior, I can't help with that. I'm sure you can find a counselor qualified to help you hash those things out. While the NFBC is certainly a quality organization which I'm glad to have found, it is by no means the only place where one can prove their fantasy mettle. Go back to ambulance chasing...I'm a little busy.

By the way...I have no more interest in hearing what Doughboy has to say on Yahoo or anything else than I do you. Never played Yahoo and I don't have time to read other people's opinions on things.

Kuroda was a dumb mistake that was a byproduct of me being on autodraft while away from the computer longer than I intended to be. That being said i will gladly put up a side bet on my team against yours.

Shandler's Folly is simply a play on the fact at I drafted Trout whose evaluation Ron Shandler screwed the pooch on. I'm sure you like Ron...his ego and feeling of self importance rivals yours.

That being said the offer stands if you want a) a side bet b) assistance with strategy. Otherwise screw off.
Last edited by Yellow Ledbetters on Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:48 pm

Coz, I'm sure YL can defend himself but I was pretty sure you were around the chat when he told us that after round 23 he goes on auto pick because he uses the DCs only as practice for preparation in advance of the larger events.

I personally feel that going on auto pick so early (and getting Kuroda) is a waste of money but so much the better for the other 14 guys.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Deadheadz wrote:.

Coz, I'm sure YL can defend himself but I was pretty sure you were around the chat when he told us that after round 23 he goes on auto pick because he uses the DCs only as practice for preparation in advance of the larger events.

I personally feel that going on auto pick so early (and getting Kuroda) is a waste of money but so much the better for the other 14 guys.

You are correct Deadheadz. However i don't simply go on auto. I keep my queue loaded. At that point in the draft I just want best talent available to serve as backup. My mistake was in letting other obligations get in the way and forgetting to replenish my queue. Either way my team's success will not hinge on Round 28 or whatever.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:57 pm

I'm reading a lot of smack talk for someone who went 0-for-5 in the DC's last year.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:06 pm

I did horribly at the DC's last year. I've still forgotten more about fantasy baseball than either of you know.
I'm kind of bored interacting with people of lower intellect. That's all i've done today. I've got the answer to my initial inquiry. I'm not responding to anyone else on this matter. Like I've said the people who post the most on these boards are some of the worst players from what I've seen. Have fun this season. I know i will.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote:Like I've said the people who post the most on these boards are some of the worst players from what I've seen. Have fun this season. I know i will.

Deadhedz does post a lot. Sorry, we've tried to slow him down until his drafting catches up with his post quantity ... but he's got a lot of enthusiasm. You're 0 for 5, huh? That would rank you right below deadhedz, so with the two of you dominating this thread your statement has some truth to it.

You're to be feared ... the question is why?

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:37 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Yellow Ledbetters wrote:Like I've said the people who post the most on these boards are some of the worst players from what I've seen. Have fun this season. I know i will.

Deadhedz does post a lot. Sorry, we've tried to slow him down until his drafting catches up with his post quantity ... but he's got a lot of enthusiasm. You're 0 for 5, huh? That would rank you right below deadhedz, so with the two of you dominating this thread your statement has some truth to it.

You're to be feared ... the question is why?
I've seen his work in one DC this year. Nothing special. He's middle of the pack so maybe he'll pull off a third place.

I mean if you're an average player you at least go 1-for-5 in the money.

Yellow Ledbetters

Post by Yellow Ledbetters » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:51 pm

KJ-

I don't know you or give a damn who you are but I do know one thing...

I went 0-5 last year adapting to a new format and for that I will take a ribbing.
Guess what else I had zero of?

Accusations of collusion. Can your good ole boy network say the same??? Are your wins solo or do you play partners?

You want to talk trash to me for no reason fine let's do it....i've done nothing to any of you. But I'm not going to take it like Deadheadz. I'll tell you up front to take your pious know it all b.s. and shove it up your ass.

Have a good evening sir...no i won't join your league...I play solo.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:53 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote:KJ-

I don't know you or give a damn who you are but I do know one thing...

I went 0-5 last year adapting to a new format and for that I will take a ribbing.
Guess what else I had zero of?

Accusations of collusion. Can your good ole boy network say the same??? Are your wins solo or do you play partners?

You want to talk trash to me for no reason fine let's do it....i've done nothing to any of you. But I'm not going to take it like Deadheadz. I'll tell you up front to take your pious know it all b.s. and shove it up your ass.

Have a good evening sir...no i won't join your league...I play solo.
You are a JACKOFF and I don't doubt for a second you play solo!! :-)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:00 pm

I sense a lot of MB love this year!!! :lol:

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Gekko wrote:I sense a lot of MB love this year!!! :lol:
And amazingly Mark, you're not even the cause of any of it this year. :o ;)

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:19 pm

Last I checked, the ROI on 0-for-5 is zero.

That should have ended this thread right there, no?
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Yellow Ledbetters wrote: Accusations of collusion. Can your good ole boy network say the same??? Are your wins solo or do you play partners?
This contest and community has grown because there is no tolerance for collusion and minimal tolerance for the delusional ramblings of losers. That's not an ole boy network, it's the free market in action.

Talk is cheap, so telling us how smart and knowledgeable you are is more than just a waste of space, you're just embarrassing yourself among 99% of everyone who reads it. Which, if you were actually smart, you would've known before you posted. And if you don't give a damn who we are or what we think, why are you so compelled to tell us about yourself?

My partner is shown on the picture to the right of this post, who is likewise unimpressed with your accomplishments.