SOLD OUT: NFBC Platinum League In Las Vegas

KJ Duke

Re: SOLD OUT: NFBC Platinum League In Las Vegas

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:15 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:My plan for FAAB bidding on Saturday morning is getting derailed in a hurry!! :o Too many guys don't want Saturday after the Main as well. It's time to look at Plan C. Let me see what option is next, maybe even late afternoon or evening Friday. Stay tuned.

FAAB is a great idea, but getting 15 eccentrics like this group together at the same time is never easy. I knew that would be the tough part. Let me see if I can come up with another plan, but Saturday morning seems to be a no go right now.
What if everyone submitted blind bids via email by this weekend?

It's not perfect, but it beats KDS, solves the problem of picking a time that suits everyone and we'll have our draft slots early. It also gives your IT guys extra time to adjust FAAB balances prior to the first period.

Something like this .............

Place your bid next to EACH draft slot ($0 bids allowed). Bids will be evaluated from Slot #1 to Slot #15. The highest bid for slot #1 will be awarded first, followed by the highest bid for slot #2 among the remaining teams, then #3 and so on until all draft slots have been awarded.

In the case of tied bids, the slot will be awarded to whoever bid the most on the next available slot. If still tied, the tiebreaker among those bidders would be the high bid for the next available slot, and so on, until the tie is broken or by coin flip if teams had identical bids on all 15 slots.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:29 pm

Just pick a time when everyone is there. It will take 20 minutes. People should be able to make time for this when they are in Vegas. Don't worry about trying to please everyone.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:45 pm

I like KJ's deal the best since it looks like there will be no perfect time for all 15. 20 minutes isn't the big deal, its when those 20 mins will come that looks like it is a big deal for some.

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:57 am

We've been dicking around with this long enough. 5:30 Saturday right before draft. I think everyone will be there then no?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:06 am

Quahogs wrote:We've been dicking around with this long enough. 5:30 Saturday right before draft. I think everyone will be there then no?
Agree completely with Juprinkowski.

I get KJ's idea, but I don't want to overbid 100 in FAAB for a draft slot in a $13K league or lose out on my spot by 1.
This needs to be live.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:08 am

Quahogs wrote:We've been dicking around with this long enough. 5:30 Saturday right before draft. I think everyone will be there then no?
Word.

I appreciate KJ's idea, but I do feel there is a difference between an auction and a blind bidding process. Don't really love the latter.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:22 am

I'd rather do it live too, but I don't want it interfering with my other leagues ... an hour before the Main I want to be thinking about that draft not bidding on this one. How hard is it to conference in a few people on thurs or fri ?

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:26 am

KJ Duke wrote:I'd rather do it live too, but I don't want it interfering with my other leagues ... an hour before the Main I want to be thinking about that draft not bidding on this one. How hard is it to conference in a few people on thurs or fri ?
I agree an hour before the Main is the worst option. 9am in Vegas??? Yikes. I'm lucky if I get to the Main on time as it is. :?

Sometime between the Main and the Platinum on Saturday is easily my top choice. However, Thursday or Friday would be OK too. Why can't we conference in the no-shows if they're unavailable?

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:30 am

Well, I'll be on a plane on Thursday night (for about 14 hours) and there's nothing I can do about it unfortunately. I'm happy to do it when I arrive, which will be around 9:30 PT (assuming no delays).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:33 am

I agree that Saturday morning interferes with the Main Event. We won't do that. There are several people who don't want it 30 minutes before the start of the draft for a $13,000 entry fee league. I will certainly honor those feelings. And I agree with Glenn, we don't want blind bids for this when NOBODY has any idea how much these spots will go for. Plus, I think a live auction is what we all voted for.

Steve says to just make a decision and be done with it. He wants me to become Alex today!! :lol: So I'll do that and you guys plan accordingly. We had some guys coming to Las Vegas early to participate in the Thursday night auction, but I know we have 3-4 owners at least who still won't be there. I'm going to look at a time on Friday now and set it. Anyone who can't make that time will need a proxy and we have plenty of good proxies who can be on the phone with them at the time. Let's set it and make every effort to be there. Thanks for the feedback.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 pm

I guess I missed something but what is wrong with right after the main. Looks like the obvious time to me. everyone should be there and no other drafts scheduled.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:08 pm

Bama wrote:I guess I missed something but what is wrong with right after the main. Looks like the obvious time to me. everyone should be there and no other drafts scheduled.
A few owners believe that's too close to the start and not enough time to prepare for the spot you get. I think we made a good compromise from Thursday to closer to Draft time, but two hours before might be pushing the compromise a little too far. I think a Friday compromise makes the most sense.

We have two owners in an Auction Championship at 4 pm PT and one owner in the Primetime at 5 pm PT. Couldn't we all meet at 8 or 9 pm and do this quickly on Friday? I think that's the compromise if we could do that. This is a very important new part of this league and I think we can all make the sacrifice to do that and have some drinks together.

Any thoughts on Friday at 8 or 9 pm for 20 minutes?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:13 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Bama wrote:I guess I missed something but what is wrong with right after the main. Looks like the obvious time to me. everyone should be there and no other drafts scheduled.
A few owners believe that's too close to the start and not enough time to prepare for the spot you get. I think we made a good compromise from Thursday to closer to Draft time, but two hours before might be pushing the compromise a little too far. I think a Friday compromise makes the most sense.

We have two owners in an Auction Championship at 4 pm PT and one owner in the Primetime at 5 pm PT. Couldn't we all meet at 8 or 9 pm and do this quickly on Friday? I think that's the compromise if we could do that. This is a very important new part of this league and I think we can all make the sacrifice to do that and have some drinks together.

And I'm in the AL auction ... but I'm OK doing it once that's over.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:18 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

And I'm in the AL auction ... but I'm OK doing it once that's over.
Yes, several guys are in 4 pm or 5 pm drafts/auctions. If we said 9 pm we'd be done in 20 minutes and everyone could still have fun that night. Someone second this motion and we'll plan accordingly. Everyone should be free, everyone will be able to bid for spots, and everyone will have a good day to plan accordingly. I like it.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Yep.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:29 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:I think we can all make the sacrifice to do that and have some drinks together.

I was planning on entering a poker tourney Friday night, but for the good of the league and to help get past this scheduling conflict, I'll pass on my other addiction to swing by for this draft spot auction Friday night and the drinks together. Of course, first round's on Greg. ;)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:50 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:I think we can all make the sacrifice to do that and have some drinks together.

I was planning on entering a poker tourney Friday night, but for the good of the league and to help get past this scheduling conflict, I'll pass on my other addiction to swing by for this draft spot auction Friday night and the drinks together. Of course, first round's on Greg. ;)
Keep your poker date Glenn, give Greg your $999 pre-bid for Trout and I promise not to top it so you can rest easy and go win some holdem cash. :P

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:52 pm

Glenneration X wrote:

If that was the case, then we're saving you money on Friday night Lowry!!! :lol: You can thank us later.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:

If that was the case, then we're saving you money on Friday night Lowry!!! :lol: You can thank us later.
Valid point Greg. With my poker skills and luck, I could probably still join an 8pm tourney and crap out in time to make it for the 9pm FAAB auction. :? I'll thank you in advance. :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:59 pm

I just sent an email to all of the Platinum owners and the bidding date is set:

Friday, March 27th, 9 pm PT in the Spa Tower, Executive Penthouse suite like last year.

We will bid for draft spots at that time and everyone is required to be there. If you have other plans or aren't in town by then, send a proxy or contact me to make sure a plan is in place. Every pick is worth at least $1 of FAAB. I will also create a random draft order just in case we get to four picks left and nobody wants to bid. Then the highest owner on that random list gets the highest available spot. This should be fun and I think we can do this in 20-30 minutes.

Thanks all for your patience and thanks for all your input on this. We have never bid for draft spots before using FAAB, so this should be interesting and a lot of fun. Can't wait.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bama

Post by Bama » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 pm

4 hrs and 50 or so minutes to do an auction, seems like it will have to be rushed to do that.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:53 pm

Bama wrote:4 hrs and 50 or so minutes to do an auction, seems like it will have to be rushed to do that.
If the auction software works the way it did in football, I think we'll cruise. If we all have to wait 15 minutes or more, we will. I'll be in contact with your league there and we'll be ready for ya and will of course wait if needed for anyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Wow! We didn't have these problems in my free ESPN league draft. :lol:

bustouts

Post by bustouts » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:25 pm

i know the bidding is finally resolved, but it wouldn't it be better is we had KDS to determine the slots to vote on. for example, i have the second choice, but i nominate pick # 15 to be bid on. number three chooses pick # 5 to be bid on and so on. Not only do we bid money for our draft order, but we also get to employ a strategy in doing so. I'm just saying.....

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm

bustouts wrote:i know the bidding is finally resolved, but it wouldn't it be better is we had KDS to determine the slots to vote on. for example, i have the second choice, but i nominate pick # 15 to be bid on. number three chooses pick # 5 to be bid on and so on. Not only do we bid money for our draft order, but we also get to employ a strategy in doing so. I'm just saying.....
Using KDS re-introduces a little random luck into the equation; having done slot bidding in private leagues, I think there's as much strategy in going 1-15.