SOLD OUT: NFBC Platinum League In Las Vegas

Greg Ambrosius

SOLD OUT: NFBC Platinum League In Las Vegas

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:47 am

Okay, yesterday I think we finalized the prize structure for the NFBC Diamond Auction League. I'll update that thread soon once I hear from the last couple of participants. Thanks to everyone involved in that great debut league for the solid feedback. We've worked together to get that league off the ground and I'm proud of the league we have.

Now we have a little more work to do on the NFBC Platinum League. We continue to talk with SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio about broadcasting this draft live from the Bellagio like they did last year with a 1-hour pre-draft show and some interviews on Sunday morning. It's not a guarantee that they will be back, but we are talking now about it and hopefully it works out. This premiere league deserves coverage from the industry's premiere fantasy baseball radio channel.

Here's the update on the Platinum League: we have 10 owners who have committed to the NFBC Platinum League at $20,000 and the current prize structure. There has been talk between me and some of the owners about possibly changing the prize structure from $200,000 for 1st place to spread a little more of the wealth around. Going from $200,000 to $60,000 to $25,000 like we have the prize structure now is a steep dropoff and whether that caused all the anxiety or not last year we'll never know, but I think it had a hand in the participation dropoff to this year.

But I still believe we are going to fill a Platinum League this year, just a little different from last year. We already have 4-5 additional owners who are interested in participating in a league with an entry fee of $10,000 and would participate on Saturday night. So let me put some possible options on paper today that could work for everyone and send out an email to all of the interested participants within the next day or two. Please look for this via email and if there's interest in a new structure we'll bring back the proposal to the Message Boards to make sure we fill this one up and also fill the Diamond Draft on Sunday morning. I think there's one spot left there as well.

These private leagues have become almost like local leagues, but with higher stakes and with people you love to compete against. They are special to the NFBC. I never thought we'd fill a $5,000 Ultimate League when folks asked me to run one back in 2005 and now we're filling up leagues at $5,000, $10,000 and $20,000 per owner. Why? Because the competition is incredible and there's a trust factor in the NFBC that we'll handle the money correctly and run a first-class league with first-class people. It doesn't get any better than that.

We're going to get this league done, but likely with a different entry point and prize structure. We can fill this league, but it won't be easy. Still, we're not one-and-done here. No way. We want this league to be the highest-profile league in the country and we can still make that happen through SiriusXM Fantasy Sports Radio. Let me work on a few things, email everyone and see what we can do on Saturday night to make this special once again. Let's do it together.

Okay, again here is the tentative signup list for Saturday night:

NFBC PLATINUM LEAGUE
$13,000 Entry Fee, Pay Top 4, $100,000 top league prize
Bellagio, Las Vegas
Saturday, March 28, 6 p.m. PT
1. Donn Johnson, Atlanta Georgia
2. Bob Particelli, Berwyn, Pennsylvania
3. Nic Cassavetes, Los Angeles, California
4. James Stanard, Edwards, Colorado
5. David DiDonato, Smithfield, Rhode Island
6. Ken Norred, Ashland, Alabama
7. Peter Berall, Montreal, Quebec
8. Joseph Martens, Bloomington, Illinois
9. Glenn Lowy, Farmingville, New York
10. Bill Phipps, New York, New York
11. john lemke, Brooklyn, New York
12. KJ Duke, San Diego, California
13. Jim Ferrari, San Diego, California
14. Dave Potts, Auburn, Alabama
15. Steve Jupinka/Dustin Wagner, Waldwick, New Jersey
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hells Satans

Re: Plans For NFBC Platinum & Saturday Night League

Post by Hells Satans » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:52 am

Is the Sunday Diamond filled yet?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:08 am

Hells Satans wrote:Is the Sunday Diamond filled yet?
Still 1 Spot Left. There is interest, though, so I'm confident there. Same with the Platinum.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:41 pm

Okay, the email for the NFBC Platinum League has been sent to prospective owners and I await your thoughts/votes on the proposal. I'll post the potential prize structure in a bit for everyone, but let's hear from those currently signed up for this and see if we can come to a consensus. Thanks all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:31 pm

Just an FYI for those who may still be thinking about the NFBC Platinum, I've sent out an email to those already signed up for this league and to those who said they would have an interest in a private league at $10,000 or higher, here are the four proposals we are thinking about. They range from $12,500 per team to $20,000, and a Pay Top 3 proposal to several Pay Top 4 prize structures. Email me at [email protected] if you have any interest because I do think we have 15 owners who are interested in one of these formats. Thanks.

Here's the possible payouts and entry fees for this year's NFBC Platinum:

Option A: $12,500 Entry
1st Place - $100,000
2nd Place - $50,000
3rd Place - $25,000 (we could pay 4 places as well and go something like $17,500 and $7,500 for 3rd and 4th)

Option B: $13,000 Entry
1st Place - $100,000
2nd Place - $50,000
3rd Place - $21,000
4th Place - $13,000

Option C: $15,000
1st Place - $115,000
2nd Place - $60,000
3rd Place - $25,000
4th Place - $13,000

Option D: $20,000
1st Place - $160,000
2nd Place - $80,000
3rd Place - $30,000
4th Place - $15,000

A lot of owners have already emailed me their thoughts. Thanks all. Your thoughts?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:46 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: A lot of owners have already emailed me their thoughts. Thanks all. Your thoughts?
Just to put my thoughts out here to see the reaction from others in the league ...

1) Pick a flat number for the juice ... these payouts have a range of $10k-$15k in juice. Wasn't last year $10k? If over $10k how about sharing some of the overage in other perks, either for the group or the winner. 8-)

2) The $20k had trouble filling so that seems like a no-go even if a majority prefer it, so shouldn't we be picking our top choice among those below $20k? I like the sound of either $13 or $15.

3) Paying 4th keeps more people in the game for future seasons. More importantly for me, it keeps hope alive and the battle going for more teams deep into the season which makes for a better league (Iron Balls Egos, aside). ;)

4) I don't like in-the-money being a net loss, so at any entry level I'd set 4th place at break-even.

5) At $15k entry perhaps bump 1st to $120k at the expense of 2nd? (but that's lowest priority for me on this list)

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:39 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: A lot of owners have already emailed me their thoughts. Thanks all. Your thoughts?
Just to put my thoughts out here to see the reaction from others in the league ...

1) Pick a flat number for the juice ... these payouts have a range of $10k-$15k in juice. Wasn't last year $10k? If over $10k how about sharing some of the overage in other perks, either for the group or the winner. 8-)
Very good point. If last year was $10K, this year should be the same, especially for those who are saving the event. If needed, get the extra juice from Berg.

2) The $20k had trouble filling so that seems like a no-go even if a majority prefer it, so shouldn't we be picking our top choice among those below $20k? I like the sound of either $13 or $15.
$15K's my personal fave as it has that nice round number feel to it. Still, I'll go with any buy-in that saves the Platinum as a league.

3) Paying 4th keeps more people in the game for future seasons. More importantly for me, it keeps hope alive and the battle going for more teams deep into the season which makes for a better league (Iron Balls Egos, aside). ;)
OK with this and understand the thinking.

4) I don't like in-the-money being a net loss, so at any entry level I'd set 4th place at break-even.
OK with this but am more of the belief that 4th place should be happy with anything that they can bring back.

5) At $15k entry perhaps bump 1st to $120k at the expense of 2nd? (but that's lowest priority for me on this list)
Agree with this.
See my thoughts above in red....

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:59 pm

Glenneration X wrote:1) Pick a flat number for the juice ... these payouts have a range of $10k-$15k in juice. Wasn't last year $10k? If over $10k how about sharing some of the overage in other perks, either for the group or the winner. 8-)
Very good point. If last year was $10K, this year should be the same, especially for those who are saving the event. If needed, get the extra juice from Berg.

I dug up last year, it was actually $15 juice for the Platinum ... but the Diamond is set at $10k and that seems like a decent number for a single league - I wouldn't think there's any extra expense with everyone paying in cash. Plus, those tight percentage pays at these levels helps keep more people in the game for future years! :) But if we can get Berg to pony up the extra $5 in juice that would be even better. :lol:
Last edited by KJ Duke on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:02 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:1) Pick a flat number for the juice ... these payouts have a range of $10k-$15k in juice. Wasn't last year $10k? If over $10k how about sharing some of the overage in other perks, either for the group or the winner. 8-)

I dug up last year, it was actually $15 juice for the Platinum ... but the Diamond is set at $10k and that seems like a decent number for a single league - I wouldn't think there's any extra expense with everyone paying in cash. Plus, those tight percentage pays at these levels helps keep more people in the game for future years! :) But if we can get Berg to pony up the extra $5 in juice that would be even better. :lol:
Agreed. :mrgreen:
See my comment above in red.....

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:19 pm

Sick of funding these sorry ass also-rans in these Diamond leagues. Is this America? Alexander Hamilton is rolling in his grave.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Hells Satans wrote:Sick of funding these sorry ass also-rans in these Diamond leagues. Is this America? Alexander Hamilton is rolling in his grave.
Really Bob? ... sorta feels like we've been funding you for the last two years ! :evil:

DAMN LAWYERS !!!

:shock: :)

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:42 am

Since some people opt to not let sleeping dogs lie, I will defend "Berg" once again. Judging by the people that reached out to me on the subject, "Berg" has little to do with the situation, other than explaining the situation as he saw it. Perhaps others should look in the mirror when determining who should be kicking in the extra rake.

And to answer the question about paying three or 4 that Greg brought up, we bubbled it and in the last week we could have gone anywhere from 1st to 4th. And our stance and participation is completely unaffected by the payout process. Obviously we didn't agree with how a lot of things were handled and would not be back even if we had won, unless it was a high stakes league that was put into the main event standings and the overall main event standings used to determine payout. Then we would play for any amount as nobody can affect the league standings by sitting hot double start pitchers, benching the best closers, quitting, making up BS excuses about setting lineups but not really setting lineups properly etc. Nobody can decide they have the right to determine the outcome by setting ridiculous lineups when they are eliminated if that was the case.

While I obviously wish things didn't transpire how they did, it is not "Berg'"s fault this league will not fill at 20k levels if it does not. It is a lot of money to put up to have things happen that you would not expect to happen in a league of that magnitude. And just because he opted to tell the facts does not make it his fault. And they were facts. The lineups were set how he said they were. Only the people that set them that way know the real reasons why they did. The fact one outlandish "strategy" cost us 25k or whatever the last week has no impact whatsoever on if we would be playing this year or not though.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:23 am

Chad, most people don't buy into "Joe Money's" conspiracy theory and you aren't going to change their minds at this point so it seems fruitless for you to keep beating the dead horse. Eleven other teams lost $20k just like you and Joe did, and none of us complained about anyone's lineup setting. From my standpoint I've seen Joe make accusations/assumptions that have no basis in reality (prior to this), and this fits the pattern. I'm sorry to see you got sucked into his neurosis. If I had any lingering concern I wouldn't risk another $20k plus in these leagues ... but I just don't see it, and I am back in. I'm sure everyone in this league and many who weren't took at a look at this, and I have yet to see anyone stand up and agree with you and Joe. Shawn Childs, one of the most honest-to-a-fault guys I know just posted an in-depth look and came to the same conclusion, that nothing untoward took place.

I'm not trying to convince you to play where you're not comfortable, but the ongoing sabotage is beneath you. I believe your sincerity, just don't agree at all with your conclusions. Also, calling something "outlandish" and a "fact" at the same time is a pure contradiction given that most people seem to disagree that anything unusual took place. I can accept "in my opinion it is outlandish", but calling it a "fact" is indefensible and a hyperbolic attempt to influence opinion.

The jokes about Joe will continue ... that is the nature of things. Just as they will for Ledbetters, snake, and the rest of the outlandish (in my opinion) characters and/or behavior that we have seen over years.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:58 am

Can you guys take this fight outside, please? This is the third Platinum thread that we are trying to promote THIS YEAR'S contest and you guys just keep on bringing up LAST YEAR. Please stop this and let us go forward this year. This league will fill without the Money team from last year, unless we dirty this year's league as well. C'mon guys, just stop on this thread.

No more. We are looking for feedback and participants to fill this year. Chad and Joe are playing in other NFBC leagues with an overall prize pool tied to it. They believe the Platinum should be tied to the national contest, but there's a reason these are called PRIVATE LEAGUES. The people in these leagues trust us to run these correctly and the owners to play them correctly. And that's what we're going to do here.

Thanks for bringing up the past, but we're moving forward. Now no more. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:36 am

Hells Satans wrote:Sick of funding these sorry ass also-rans in these Diamond leagues. Is this America? Alexander Hamilton is rolling in his grave.
So says the winner of the Diamond for what seems like 50 years running. You're probably looking for the Winner Takes All option. :D

I was ambivalent about the pay out to top 3 or 4 to be honest. I was the one voter in the Diamond Auction poll who said he'd go either way, though advised Greg to make my vote pay top 3 if a tiebreaker were needed. I'd like to see the best performers rewarded the most, but understand the thinking that a bit more spreading around of the prize pool gives the league the best chance at long term survival, especially at these high price points.

I'd be curious what others involved in this league think about KJ's suggestions.

Really happy that it looks like we're going to be able to keep the Platinum league afloat, even if a slight adjustment in the entry fee looks like it will be needed. Greg is right that the atmosphere at the draft last year was like nothing I've ever been involved in. Truly exciting. I hope we can keep that excitement going for years to come.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:56 am

I was ambivalent about Top3/4 in the Diamond Auction as well. I chose Top 3 because we already had 15 owners in place, but getting new ownership in the future could be tough if Top 3 is used.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 am

KJ Duke wrote:2) The $20k had trouble filling so that seems like a no-go even if a majority prefer it, so shouldn't we be picking our top choice among those below $20k? I like the sound of either $13 or $15.
Thanks to all of the Platinum owners who responded over the weekend. I think we have a plan to make the Platinum League happen this year. I still need to talk with a couple of owners, but it looks like the 10 who wanted $20,000 are good at a lower number.

Almost everyone who originally signed up for $20,000 said they hoped we could still fill a Platinum at $20,000, which is why I kept it as one of the options. It's great to see that we're not that far away from filling this league again at $20,000 and maybe next year we will. But each owner just wanted to keep this great league intact and would choose anything close to that number. Each of these original 10 owners said they wanted $20,000 and then any number down.

The feedback on whether we should pay 3 teams or 4 teams was more interesting than expected. There were a couple of guys who said they'd love a "winner-take-all" format, but we know that's not possible. Two owners wanted similar prizes to last year and one more owner wants Pay Top 3, but the rest voted for Pay Top 4.

The over-riding entry fee point right now is $13,000 and Pay Top 4. Option B was the top choice. That doesn't mean we will use that prize structure, but if we settle at $13,000 we'll then come up with a few prize options. Maybe 4th is too high right now. I want that feedback on all 4 payouts before finalizing.

Then separately we need to decide how we're selecting the draft spots. Two options are randomly like we did last year and whether we should do that on Thursday night or earlier; or 2) use FAAB to bid on draft spots. I think we should seriously consider the second one, but that's just me.

We have 14 owners who said they would like to do the Platinum and one owner who would fill the last spot in the Diamond League. We have another owner interested in the Platinum and checking his schedule. We are getting closer. Let me reach out to a couple of guys first and then we'll get your feedback again on the prize structure and draft spot selections. I think we really need to finalize how we're determining the draft spots before we can say this league is sold out. But we'll make it work for everyone.

Thanks all and look for an email update shortly. We're getting closer to finalizing the 2015 NFBC Platinum League.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:There were a couple of guys who said they'd love a "winner-take-all" format, but we know that's not possible.
couple of guys = Particelli :D

It sounds like we're real close to making this league a reality again for this year Greg and that's real good news.
Thanks for working so hard to keep it alive.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:42 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:There were a couple of guys who said they'd love a "winner-take-all" format, but we know that's not possible.

It sounds like we're real close to making this league a reality again for this year Greg and that's real good news.
Thanks for working so hard to keep it alive.
I believe I've made my preferences clear. :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:46 pm

After winning consecutive Diamonds, Bob has but one modest fantasy objective yet to fulfill ...

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
Nic says he wants a $100,000 entry fee league and he wouldn't mind that being winner-take-all either!! So Bob has company. 8-)
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:32 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:
Nic says he wants a $100,000 entry fee league and he wouldn't mind that being winner-take-all either!! So Bob has company. 8-)
Wow! 1.5 million 1st place prize!!! (Minus your $10K juice of course Greg. ;) )

Makes the Platinum seem like a $30 Yahoo league. I know Cassevettes, Particelli, and MtM are in.
Only 12 more and you've got yourself a league Greg.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:55 pm

Glenneration X wrote:

Makes the Platinum seem like a $30 Yahoo league. I know Cassevettes, Particelli, and MtM are in.
Only 12 more and you've got yourself a league Greg.
Happy to do a 3 man league there where we split the pot $150k/$150k.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:56 pm

KJ Duke wrote:After winning consecutive Diamonds, Bob has but one modest fantasy objective yet to fulfill ...
If I can pull off a three-peat, I want it renamed the Particelli Diamond until I'm dethroned

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:24 pm

Hells Satans wrote: If I can pull off a three-peat, I want it renamed the Particelli Diamond until I'm dethroned
I have no problem with that. Or maybe the BP Diamond. :)