How Can We Make Your Sundays & FAAB Easier For You?

ALL-IN JD

Re: How Can We Make Your Sundays & FAAB Easier For You?

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:32 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
la Jolla wrote:
Gekko wrote:For 12 teamers...
1. Bigger bench
2. Run FAAB every other week or once a month
Even better idea. FAAB once a month. I'm in.
Great ideas by Glenn and Mark. I'd take it one more step and go to 15 bench players. With 38 players per team monthly FAAB works even better and total rostered players of 456 is close to 450 in Main, so FAAB pool will look about the same.
Absolutely agree with KJ. We have a winner. Same number of players drafted as in the Main with once a month FAAB. Makes the draft in the Prime super important with only once a month FAAB. Much easier right now in the Prime to have a so-so draft but a really good FAAB year because of the depth of the player pool.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:33 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
1. Bigger bench
Great ideas by Glenn and Mark. I'd take it one more step and go to 15 bench players. With 38 players per team monthly FAAB works even better and total rostered players of 456 is close to 450 in Main, so FAAB pool will look about the same.
I think once a month FAAB is dangerous at this price point, no matter the roster size. Those who play DC's have 50 man rosters and are often putting up zero's where injuries and benchings have affected their team.

This is a group that fought for twice a week lineup moves so they wouldn't have to wait 3 days to replace an injured player for their high dollar teams. Now we want to explore an option that could allow a month to go by with that crutch for a 4-digit entry fee team.

I want to be reading the boards the first time it affects one of our teams. ;)

I agree making FAAB easier is something that will help this format. I threw out a couple ideas, but not sure if they'd work, or what would work. However, limiting our ability to team manage around the inevitable is one thing I'm pretty sure would end up being problematic at this cost.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:34 pm

Glenneration X wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
1. Bigger bench
I think once a month FAAB is dangerous at this price point, no matter the roster size. Those who play DC's have 50 man rosters and are often putting up zero's where injuries and benchings have affected their team.

This is a group that fought for twice a week lineup moves so they wouldn't have to wait 3 days to replace an injured player for their high dollar teams. Now we want to explore an option that could allow a month to go by with that crutch for a 4-digit entry fee team.

I want to be reading the boards the first time it affects one of our teams. ;)

I agree making FAAB easier is something that will help this format. I threw out a couple ideas, but not sure if they'd work, or what would work. However, limiting our ability to manage around the inevitable is one thing I'm pretty sure would end up being problematic at this cost.

Maybe bi-weekly FAAB would be a reasonable compromise.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:36 pm

Glenneration X wrote:[ I think once a month FAAB is dangerous at this price point, no matter the roster size. Those who play DC's have 50 man rosters and are often putting up zero's where injuries and benchings have affected their team.
I'm with Jupinka on this one, I think success/fail of Prime is about time more than money.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:41 pm

ALL-IN JD wrote: Absolutely agree with KJ. We have a winner. Same number of players drafted as in the Main with once a month FAAB. Makes the draft in the Prime super important with only once a month FAAB. Much easier right now in the Prime to have a so-so draft but a really good FAAB year because of the depth of the player pool.
What's the problem with having a really good FAAB year? Every team has the same $1000 budget and bids on the same pool. Has the guy who manages free agency most efficiently for 26 weeks done something far less impressive than the guy who has the best draft day?

Quahogs

Post by Quahogs » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:41 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Glenneration X wrote:[ I think once a month FAAB is dangerous at this price point, no matter the roster size. Those who play DC's have 50 man rosters and are often putting up zero's where injuries and benchings have affected their team.
I'm with Steve on this one, I think success/fail of Prime is about time more than money.
So maybe you don't start at $1500? Maybe $1000 with once a month faab and bigger bench. It just takes a different approach to game the injuries. Hey KJ 's Thursday night auction for $500 hit the spot. Why ? NO faab. Got my interest.

Now we're talking about 6 faab periods and a pretty deep bench. Perfect.

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
I'm with Jupinka on this one, I think success/fail of Prime is about time more than money.
I don't disagree at all. I'm just saying it's easier to write off a zero in a lineup spot for one of my $100 teams than one of my $1500 teams.

Listen, I HATE FAAB. But one of the only things I hate more than FAAB is not being able to perform FAAB when my team needs it.

Well, that and shoveling snow. But I'm off to do that now, so we can't always get what we want. ;)

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:49 pm

Seems like the obvious solution is to add three additional teams to 12 team leagues. The new "15" team leagues would be very similar to Main event leagues, only different. Maybe we could call new "15" team leagues "New Main Event" and the old "15" leagues "Classic Main Event."

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:52 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:Seems like the obvious solution is to add three additional teams to 12 team leagues. The new "15" team leagues would be very similar to Main event leagues, only different. Maybe we could call new "15" team leagues "New Main Event" and the old "15" leagues "Classic Main Event."
Now we're getting to some seriously good thinking. :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:16 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote: We are committing a Search button within any one of your Free Agent lists that will allow you to look for a player and see if he is available in every one of your NFBC leagues. This is a quick fix that we believe will be done by Week 1 FAAB.
Thanks Greg, that will help some.

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:48 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote: We are committing a Search button within any one of your Free Agent lists that will allow you to look for a player and see if he is available in every one of your NFBC leagues. This is a quick fix that we believe will be done by Week 1 FAAB.
This is a FANTASTIC addition. The kind of thing that gets me to spend more money. :D

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:50 pm

Hells Satans wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
This is a FANTASTIC addition. The kind of thing that gets me to spend more money. :D
And hence forth win more money!! :D :D

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:05 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
It is both time and money conspiring against Primetime.
The veterans, or folks with the money, don't want to spend more time on a lesser event. FAAB does not appeal to them after looking at higher prioritized teams.
The non-veterans know that most of the customers in the event are veterans. Return on investment is diminished for them.
They are happy getting three online teams in OC for $1,000 and spend $500 less, to avoid those veterans and give themselves a better chance of ROI.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I have zero interest in 12 team events.
Once I played the 15-team Main Event, there was no going back
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:12 pm

All great points here and this will be duplication of many comments. I entered one 12 team event a few years ago and it was my last. (finished 2nd or 3rd in league I believe) I don't care what the ROI is. I care about the player pool I need to research each week and I want it to be consistent across the board. The suggestion for deeper benches to even things out in terms of player pool makes the most sense to me. I do agree with Glenn though on FAAB. Having to wait a month to clear up zeroes could be a major pain point for many. Bi weekly may be a happy middle ground.

Maybe I'm stubborn but even with changes I think I'll be sticking to the 15 team format.
Last edited by Red Sox Nation- on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm flying to Phoenix now for LABR, but will comment on this later. I think expanded bench could make sense and even differentiate from the 12-team Online Championship, but you can't do once a month faab at $1500 a team.

The price point has been tried lower and it's too tough to get a big enough grand prize that way. With you guys the price point isn't the issue here it's time for faab. Period. You'd play a 4-man league if the prize was big enough and the format was perfect. We either need to improve this format or leave it.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm

Hells Satans wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
Good to hear the positives on this item. Saving time for you guys is even more valuable than saving money.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation-

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:21 pm

I know IT is juggling multiple things here but I'd put FAAB 10,000 miles ahead of live scoring in terms of priority. A couple second delay to load stats is nothing compared to the hours and hours and hours I spend on FAAB. I'm glad you realize that your customers will spend more money with better FAAB. I don't think you're going to lose many customers because live scoring is a little slow. I like the new improvements coming and hope IT can really get the option to bid on one player from one place as soon as possible. Thanks

Jason

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Red Sox Nation- wrote:I know IT is juggling multiple things here but I'd put FAAB 10,000 miles ahead of live scoring in terms of priority. A couple second delay to load stats is nothing compared to the hours and hours and hours I spend on FAAB. I'm glad you realize that your customers will spend more money with better FAAB. I don't think you're going to lose many customers because live scoring is a little slow. I like the new improvements coming and hope IT can really get the option to bid on one player from one place as soon as possible. Thanks

Jason
Of course FAAB is ahead of the Live Scoring improvements. FAAB is at the top of the list with Opening Day in sight.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Make the stats week run from Friday to Thursday. FAAB deadline can be Thursday at 11:00pm EDT.

Full start/sit deadline (hitters and pitchers) would be start of each player's Friday game.

Hitters could be swapped on Monday prior to their first game.

This would free up our weekends ENTIRELY.

swampass

Post by swampass » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:38 pm

Not to be a dick and go off topic but how about we fix things that are problematic for drafting before we worry about in season moves?

Why are players ranked so vastly different from the NFBC ADP page to the Draft Prep page? Why do we still not have people like anthony rendon listed on the adp at all of his eligible positions? Is there a way other than manipulating the Draft Prep list itself that I can get it to match the ADP?

Ive been told we have more options in the draft room but I have no access to it til I draft. Unless I am somehow not seeing a link.

thanks for any and all info

Chris

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Now that is interesting KOQ, moving the stat week. That way, it also would split the time spent between ME event leagues and private leagues with the Primetime without tweaking it too much. I also think expanding the bench would help with this event even though I do like the churn in the 12's, but know I am in the few. If expanding the benches keeps the event alive, then I'm all for it. I would hate for FAAB not to be every week though like the other events, and I think changing the stat week might fix it a bit, along with the bigger benches.

Also, why not make some OC leagues that equate to a Primetime slot for next season. It would promote the league and emulate what some of the daily games do to get people in higher leagues. I'm not saying to make all of them that way, but maybe giving them an option with a tiny bit better ROI might help get some of these new customers in the higher stakes events. 1st place in your league gets you 1400 now, so maybe offering a league for a 1500 primetime spot would help the bigger event for people that would want to try it "for free" if they won this year.

southpaw23

Post by southpaw23 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:01 pm

I played in the 12 team championship a couple years ago when it was called the "XII" and it was $1k.
Once you bumped it up to $1500, I was out. Personally, $1k is my top price point so I'd rather do a few OC at a lower price point than one PT team. Didn't have to do with FAAB as far as I was concerned.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:20 pm

I thought it was too big of a bump too.
Price point is more crucial in decisions for me than a grand prize.
It does make OC's a lot more appealing. Especially for those that have a larger interest in the 15's anyway....

As for FAAB, I find it a necessary evil. The site couldn't be much better for what we have to do. A larger bench would eliminate some names, but I would spend just as much time on it, not wanting to leave a stone unturned.
It's just the nature of my beast.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 pm

southpaw23 wrote:I played in the 12 team championship a couple years ago when it was called the "XII" and it was $1k.
Once you bumped it up to $1500, I was out. Personally, $1k is my top price point so I'd rather do a few OC at a lower price point than one PT team. Didn't have to do with FAAB as far as I was concerned.
Bringing the price point in is probably a good suggestion. The $1K price point could bring in more traditional 12-team players that are trading up from other venues or playing the OL Champ, while the reduced FAAB and deeper bench appeals more to the traditional main event players.

If you did something like this ▬ 15-man bench, bi-weekly FAAB, $1000 entry ▬ you might do enough to appeal to both sides of the aisle even with a $50k-ish top prize.