Sirius xm-roto-experts?

ikenbaseball

Sirius xm-roto-experts?

Post by ikenbaseball » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 am

Last week, I brought my wife a new car. A free 6 month subscription to Sirius XM was included.
So, I figured I would give it a try this morning.
I'm listening to the "Roto Experts"---Nando and Tony.
One of them mentions how he doesn't like Jose Altuve because he's going to be hitting right after the pitcher so he won't have that many RBI opportunities. And no one corrects him.
Then a couple of minutes later another one mentions how he thinks Trumbo won't get more then 350 AB's this year because he can't play OF.

After listening to less then 5 mins of this, I felt dumber, and I immediately turned off this crap and regretted wasted mins from my day.

Does anyone else listen to any baseball stations that would be worth my time?

Thanks

CALI CARTEL

Re: Sirius xm-roto-experts?

Post by CALI CARTEL » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:11 pm

The morning shows are good (RotoExperts & RotoWire), but the rest of the shows are pretty subpar.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:47 pm

Sometimes, I just listen because well...they are talking about fantasy baseball.
Agreed though, most shows are dull and unspectacular.
To my knowledge, there isn't a show with two opposing view points.
Find a Numerish guy and a visual guy.
Find a 'Mike the Mouth' and Greg.
Find a strategic guy like Shawn and put him on with a mad scientist like KJ.
These would have interest instead of two guys not wanting to step on each others toes.

AND QUIT TAKING CALLS!
The only team or players anybody cares about is their own.
Nobody wants to hear 'Wally from Wilmington Delaware' asking if he should trade Kemp for Hamilton.
Nobody. Only Wally.
If taking calls, it is just filling time.
Tell Wally to call off air.

I do like that there ARE fantasy shows. Now, they need to be refined.
A beginners show.
A show for casuals.
And hard core fantasy shows.
A show for daily baseball.
A show for monthly.
A show for year long.
Each show now is trying to gain interest from all groups at once. It doesn't work.
And with the addition of daily baseball, I hardly listen at all once the year has started.
Fantasy shows are here, now they need to evolve.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:52 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:AND QUIT TAKING CALLS!
This is a tough one. As a host I don't care to take calls at all and Greg and I often do entire shows without taking a single call. And as a listener I don't care about other people's teams either. When I'm listening to one of the shows and they take a call I almost always turn the channel.

However, listener interaction is a huge plus for the network and all networks really so it's easy to see why those in charge love getting tons and tons of calls.

I will say this, though - during football season we are besieged by phone calls. It's definitely an easy way to knock off a segment. Just open up the phone lines, kick back and answer some calls. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Wally wants to know why you don't like him and bets you don't like Joey Votto either!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:37 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Wally wants to know why you don't like him and bets you don't like Joey Votto either!

"Peter, I'll take Wally Cox for the WIN!"
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

LasVegasBlvd

Post by LasVegasBlvd » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:59 pm

I, like DoughBoys listen because they talk fantasy. I try not to put too much stock in their picks or guys they like. Some hosts are just talking heads who think highly of themselves and are not shy to let you know about it. Others like Tom and Greg are gentleman and give a modest point of view and you'll get all the inside dope on the NFBC so those guys are a must every Wednesday night. I listen to Joe Pisapia who breaks down his philosophies so that any layperson can understand. You don't need to have a PHD in statistics or be well versed in sabermetrics to grasp his show. I highly recommend you try his show out. Overall it's a great channel to have on in the car to get updates on injuries or other pertinent player news when you play this beloved game we call fantasy baseball.
8-)

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:25 pm

So what have they won? Any of these guys in the NFBC top 20 cash/rankings?

Great entertainment value and often amusing. Useful for killing time on the morning commute. I enjoy some of the philosophies behind their drafts/auctions but I agree with a little bit of discord to make it more entertaining to me....don't need an "expert" to tell me that the risk in Tulo is his health, and to take the "best shape of his life" comments with a grain of salt.
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 pm

You have to remember that the majority of fantasy players are not high stakes players. Heck, FDS even said that the majority of players are in the $2-10 price point. Temper expectations. I cringe when I hear the caller questions as well, but as Tom mentioned its filler time. To create content for hours is tough without calls. This is not to take anything away from the hosts. Some are legit analysts and I give a lot if credit to the guys putting their names on OC leagues. It's good for us. This is a business and the NFBC's, Fanduel's and Draft Kings of the world get great recognition. I heard the NFBC promoted this morning. Our ADP's are promoted on national radio. Radio brings new players to our game. Our league is elite, however we need to build and develop new players for sustainability for the future.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:21 pm

There hasn't been a stronger promotional vehicle for the NFBC and NFFC than Greg and I having our own show on Sirius. The number of new customers that play in one or both of our contests just because they listen to us on the channel is significant. Then include the relationships we have with people like the RotoWire gang, John Hansen in football and the impact is even more significant. Today Adam Ronis got on the air to talk about playing in an Online Championship league with us and the league sold out in a few hours. That's very impressive.

I hate to dredge up the past but when Greg and I were at Fanball I thought there was massive opportunity for growth if we could get a show on Sirius. That never came to fruition because the people in charge lacked the vision to see what could happen. Fortunately, that wasn't the case when we were hired by STATS. Immediately, they helped to get us our own show and the results have been significant.

The work done by everyone at Sirius is really impressive. Not every show is everyone's cup of tea. I definitely get that. But a 24/7 fantasy channel with a huge reach is enormous for our industry and I commend all the work that is done on the channel by everyone involved. To be a part of that is really fantastic.
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Surrender Dorothy

Post by Surrender Dorothy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:46 pm

The Rotowire show from 11 AM to 2 PM is generally the best of all of them. They rotate hosts, so it can be a little hit or miss. I like Chris Liss the best, as he gets much more analytical, but I get the feeling he would argue with a taped recording of himself if given the chance. Jeff Erickson is a somewhat knowledgeable, but his analysis is along the lines of "it could be interesting - indeed, indeed."

Ray flowers and Kyle Elfrink are entertaining as well from 7-10. Stay away from that Howard Bender and his "Mock Draft Army" drivel. Anybody still talking about mock drafts in this day and age is stuck between stations.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:53 pm

That show on late Wednesday nights from Iola is the best one out there. :D

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:36 pm

Cliff Floyd is the only guy I can't listening to

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:58 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:Cliff Floyd is the only guy I can't listening to
Amen to that. I immediately switch to mlb channel when Floyd is on. He is horrible.

ikenbaseball

Post by ikenbaseball » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:01 pm

These guys were painful to listen to this morning. I honestly started developing a headache listening to them speak.

Ideally I'd like to learn something new/interesting when I'm listening to a broadcast, not wrong or watered down baseball information.

Does anyone know who hires these guys? What kind of credentials do they bring to the table.
Where are the "real" experts who have actually won Main Events or Platinum/Diamond Leagues and the HOFer's?
Those are the guys I'd rather listen to. How come they are not on the air with their own show?

I'm actually looking forward to Wednesday nights NFBC broadcast, it will be my first.

tecmont

Post by tecmont » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 pm

I Listen and they are always having "Expert Drafts".
They never let you know who last years winners were and who sucked!
I think Ray Flowers is pretty good plus he has no patience for idiots.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:47 pm

ikenbaseball wrote: Where are the "real" experts who have actually won Main Events or Platinum/Diamond Leagues and the HOFer's?
You mean someone like David DiDonato? Good thing he's going to be on our show Wednesday night then. :)
Tom Kessenich
Twitter - @TomKessenich