2011 All Time Draft

CC's Desperados

2011 All Time Draft

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:15 am

It's been a few years since we did the Hall of Fame draft. My sentence over at scout.com is to post on the message board 90 times a month during the baseball season. Over the last couple of years, I'vee been think about this draft. I thought it would be interesting to reflect on the draft plus add some insight on the picks to show the upside and downside of the picks. If you are interested in following my progress through baseball history, here's the link the message board thread:

http://fantasy.scout.com/forums/5397-fa ... raft?s=532

Likewhat17

Re: 2011 All Time Draft

Post by Likewhat17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm

Excellent work thus far Shawn, keep it up.

One of the most undervalued elements of the whole exercise is how beneficial it was from a draft strategy and game theory standpoint.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:16 pm

Just wanted to jump in and say that I am finding it a great read. That league must have been a fun challenge to research and play out.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks...it will be a couple of days before doing the next player. I'm trying to recreate the standings to help fantasy owners see the progression of teams. I'll have the first round recap done soon.

G@mblor

Post by G@mblor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:21 pm

Shawn, this is Dan Wydick. I was partnered with Dave Shovein for the All-Time Draft and he kept track of the standings I believe. If you need to have a look at them for your write up I'd bet he still has all that. I'm looking forward to reliving the rest of that draft. I remember in particular the debates about the blind rounds and how it increasingly became about how our approach fit in with what the other owners were doing.
"I’d rather impress the chicks with my technique than with my brute strength. Then, every now and then, just to show I can do that, too, I might flirt a little by hitting one out.” - Ichiro Suzuki

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:55 pm

G@mblor wrote:Shawn, this is Dan Wydick. I was partnered with Dave Shovein for the All-Time Draft and he kept track of the standings I believe. If you need to have a look at them for your write up I'd bet he still has all that. I'm looking forward to reliving the rest of that draft. I remember in particular the debates about the blind rounds and how it increasingly became about how our approach fit in with what the other owners were doing.
I have every pick documented on Facebook plus a picture of the standing after each round, but I wanted to be able to copy and paste the stats. I'm almost done, but I had to detour to finish my research for the Masters next week. I'll be back on track soon.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:33 am

I'm back to live action on this draft for those that were following.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:59 am

Up to round three in the recap of this draft if anyone is still interested in following.

http://fantasy.scout.com/forums/5397-fa ... 532&page=2

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:30 am

Still following. Great read so far. I like how individual seasons by some of baseball's all-time greats are interspersed with incredible seasons by players that I confess to not knowing much, if anything, about. Also cool to see some of the numbers guys put up while I was a big baseball fan but, due to the passage of time, I had forgotten just how extraordinary those individual seasons were (like that Larry Walker season in Round 1, the Piazza season in Round 2 and the Pudge season near the start of Round 3). I knew all three players were great, but I guess I forgot just how great they were during certain individual seasons. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am

This is absolutely fascinating Shawn. In this era of DFS where it is all about today, I so appreciate the historical context that defines baseball for me. Your analysis of the picks relative to categorical balance and positional advantages is a primer in how to play Rotisserie baseball, especially regarding the importance of managing ERA and WHIP. I don't know how you find the time, but I can't wait to read the next installment...
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:03 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:Still following. Great read so far. I like how individual seasons by some of baseball's all-time greats are interspersed with incredible seasons by players that I confess to not knowing much, if anything, about. Also cool to see some of the numbers guys put up while I was a big baseball fan but, due to the passage of time, I had forgotten just how extraordinary those individual seasons were (like that Larry Walker season in Round 1, the Piazza season in Round 2 and the Pudge season near the start of Round 3). I knew all three players were great, but I guess I forgot just how great they were during certain individual seasons. Thanks.

Mike
A couple of things I've noticed in the early years. It's amazing how many runs were unearned, which probably shouldn't be a surprise due to the gloves used. The lack of strikeouts by pitchers just stands out as a lack of talent to me. As good as some of the batters looked in the 20s and 30s, they clearly had an edge over the pitching talent.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:37 am

I'm enjoying these recaps. I think the very best players from every time period are relatively comparable, but the worst players in MLB today are far superior to the worst players of bygone eras. The overall talent level is much better now.

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:28 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:This is absolutely fascinating Shawn. In this era of DFS where it is all about today, I so appreciate the historical context that defines baseball for me. Your analysis of the picks relative to categorical balance and positional advantages is a primer in how to play Rotisserie baseball, especially regarding the importance of managing ERA and WHIP. I don't know how you find the time, but I can't wait to read the next installment...
Thanks for your support....I might not finish this draft for a year!

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Fri May 29, 2015 11:16 am

I'm still plugging away at this draft recap as I battle the 2015 NFL research. I'm almost as the end of round of four.

Here's an updated link

All-Time Draft - http://fantasy.scout.com/forums/5397-fa ... 532&page=3

The Sea Wolves

Post by The Sea Wolves » Sun May 31, 2015 4:58 pm

Anyone have a link to the original draft?

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:34 pm

The Sea Wolves wrote:Anyone have a link to the original draft?
Are looking for the draft stats or just the pick by pick recap?

I placed the whole draft on Facebook - Hall of Fame Fantasy Baseball Draft. Every pick was posted with standings at the end of each round. I have a tough time seeing all the picks when I go there. I need to dig around to find the archives.

The Sea Wolves

Post by The Sea Wolves » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks. I found it on Facebook.

The Sea Wolves

Post by The Sea Wolves » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Actually, the Facebook page does not show all the picks. Do you have a link the original picks?

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Keep up the great work Shawn!

For those that are following along, it's probably worth mentioning that round 5 (which is where he is at now in the posts) was the first blind round of the draft.

This added a substantial level of gamesmanship and intrigue to the draft, as these picks remained hidden from the entire league until the end of the draft.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:49 pm

Likewhat17 wrote:Keep up the great work Shawn!

For those that are following along, it's probably worth mentioning that round 5 (which is where he is at now in the posts) was the first blind round of the draft.

This added a substantial level of gamesmanship and intrigue to the draft, as these picks remained hidden from the entire league until the end of the draft.
Just curious: how did you pull that off logistically? Wouldn't you need to know who was taken before you so you know who is available, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:35 am

Enjoying the read here.

Shawn, we should set up a new historical draft, maybe for after this season ends. But adjust the starting year to keep it interesting. How about a draft starting in the year of 1980 to present. And maybe hold it to 12 teams. What do you think?

Likewhat17

Post by Likewhat17 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:43 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:Just curious: how did you pull that off logistically? Wouldn't you need to know who was taken before you so you know who is available, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Mike

We submitted our picks to an impartial third party (in this case Doughboys was willing to help out). If we tried to select a player who was already drafted, he would let us know that the player was already taken, and to choose again.

Once the round was completed, he let us know who the 15 players were that were selected, but we would have no idea what team selected which player or which season would be used from those players.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:28 am

Likewhat17 wrote:
Bronx Yankees wrote:Just curious: how did you pull that off logistically? Wouldn't you need to know who was taken before you so you know who is available, or am I missing something? Thanks.

Mike

We submitted our picks to an impartial third party (in this case Doughboys was willing to help out). If we tried to select a player who was already drafted, he would let us know that the player was already taken, and to choose again.

Once the round was completed, he let us know who the 15 players were that were selected, but we would have no idea what team selected which player or which season would be used from those players.
Gotcha. That's a nice, clever twist. I like it. Thanks.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

CC's Desperados

Post by CC's Desperados » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:27 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:Enjoying the read here.

Shawn, we should set up a new historical draft, maybe for after this season ends. But adjust the starting year to keep it interesting. How about a draft starting in the year of 1980 to present. And maybe hold it to 12 teams. What do you think?
We should do something again. It's a long story why I haven't pushed to do another season.

Depending on the time frame, the number of teams could vary. I think we could have added even more intrigue if we had say 20 team in the first draft. 15 teams worked well as our goal was to parallel the main event with the winner of the league winning an entry.

I'd like to run the same format back just to see how much different the players flow.

The beginning of October is the best time to start after we finish the madness of our baseball season.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Bump. Still a great read!
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"