Las Vegas

DOUGHBOYS

Las Vegas

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 am

C'mon!
How good was that weekend?!
First of all, I think that was the best show Greg and Tom have ever put on. Beginning with the All-Star Auction, through the Main Event, and all other drafts, everything was first rate. We've come to expect that from Greg and Tom.
They hear criticism for the IT side of things while here online, but there is nary a contrary word when these guys put on a Live Event.
Truly wonderful.
Somebody gives awards for these live events. It's hard to believe that the NFBC doesn't win that blue ribbon every year.

Especially loved this year were the easier to see projections of players drafted. In auctions, dollar amounts were easily visible, making it so much easier for drafters.
For the Main Event, tables were spaced more apart, making players called out from other drafts less of an annoyance.
Everything was just top notch, Tom and Greg.

The NFBC is a one-of-a-kind fantasy place.
While zillions of other fantasy players play online against faceless opponents, the NFBC affords us the semblance of a National Home League.
It is folks like you that make the NFBC what it is.
As fun as these drafts are, it is even more fun putting faces to the posts that are on these Boards.
This weekend was like a family reunion. Only without the crappy relatives nobody wants to see. Everybody, a gem.
I'll have more about some of these great folks in a future post.
I just wanted to make sure to thank Greg, Tom, and all of you for making this, one helluva nice weekend in Vegas
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Deadheadz

Re: Las Vegas

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:23 am

:mrgreen:

green with envy

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 pm

I hate doing this, because I know I'll miss somebody and hurt their feelings...but I've got to try and thank each person...

Thanks to Ken Magner who threw me a hello across the All Star Auction room.
Thanks to Glenn Lowy who really has to get his nicotine addiction under control. A man as nice as his posts.
Thanks to Shawn Childs. Shawn is incredulous in how much baseball I actually do watch. I am incredulous that Shawn has even less notes than I do, but seems more prepared.
Thanks to Bob Particelli. A man who is direct and to the point, yet likeable. That's hard to pull off.
Thanks to Bob and Dan. What a great pair and what a great love for the game we play. Mr. Mazur even made a Marx Brothers comment. I could almost hear my grandson saying, "Who?"
Thanks to Dan Semsel. What a wonderful guy. How many people do you hear say this..."I'll probably just run to California and back"
Thanks to Joe Anthony. Joe was laying low, getting over a bad sickness. It's worth getting sick to shake your hand, Joe.
Thanks to Dave McDonald. Good to have you back and good to meet you.
Thanks to Joe Lecak. I still say there is 'a look' to you east coasters. A 'Don't f*** with me look.
Thanks to Kent Stermon. Man, it is always great to see you, Bud. Love hearing your stories and hope you get that Koufax ball.
Thanks to Brady. I never knew that was your name. Two things I do know, you are one of the most intelligent writers to never post on these Boards and you have an incredible three year old. EVERYBODY will know his name.
Thanks to Mike Cameron. Love seeing you every year.
Thanks to Jeff Dobies. Hey, I thought a match between Semsel and Lowy was a good idea, but you know your neighbor better than I do!
Thanks to Andy Nolan. THE most unsung player in the NFBC. A good friend.
Thanks to Neal Moses and his buddy. It is always good talking baseball with you guys. The barking of players names at the auction was hilarious.
Thanks to Joe Berg. One of the funniest lines of the weekend was when Joe introduced his friends as his 'bodyguards'.
Thanks to Brady Tinker. First time for me. And what a treat. He is the absolute king of live facilitation.
Thamks to Bryan Vogel. The Man from S.N.A.R.K....Who just happens to be a damned good player and nice fella.
Thanks to KJ Duke. The only person on the planet that greets me with, "Hey, looks like you've lost weight" If the wheels of his mind were wheels on a car, NASCAR would be laid to rest.
Thanks to Steve Jupinka. Always good seeing you. Always with a smile plastered to your face.
Thanks to Rich VanFleet. I wish I had more time to talk, Rich. I still can't believe you didn't get many kids this year.
Thanks to John Pausma. Wonderful to see you. Just not sitting next to me at the draft. You knew 'My Guys' better than I did.
Thanks to Matt Modica. A guy who truly loved being there. Didn't know whether to talk about the last draft, or next one. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Thanks to Mark Srebro. I had a feeling we wouldn't see each other unless bugging you during your draft. Hope I wasn't a bother.
Thanks to Rob Silver and Rob Giese. It seemed like we were all stalking each other. Pleasure to meet you guys while 'Rob'ing my players.
Thanks to Anthony Palavis. It was good to put a face to the name.
Thanks to Sam Botnick. Sam, don't be surprised if I say, "It is good to meet you" again next year too.
Thanks to Gregg Janoff. It seems like most years we get in the same draft. Which is too bad since we like the same players.
Thanks to Andy Robinson. Always with a smile on his face and my player on his lips.
Thanks to David DiDonato. New Hall of Famer and I get him in both Mains. If I lose to you, Dave, I'll know it was by one of the best.
Thanks to all the 'Eric's' I met. Man, there should be an NFBC league with 'Mike's, and 'Eric's' .
Thanks to Mike DeCavalcante. Great to meet you.
Thanks to Jim Stanard. A gentleman.
Thanks to Jim Jeckowicz. It was a pleasure chatting with you. Keep up the great posts.
Thanks to Mike Edelman. Great having the conversation as we left the Bellagio. Always pictured him as quietly one of the best players.... he is.
Thanks to Ken Norred. Always cool to hear that southern drawl. I don't let it fool me though. There's a lot of baseball know-how that goes with it.
Thanks to Dave Potts. Didn't get to talk to you, Mr. Potts, but across the room, you always seemed to be enjoying yourself.
Thanks to Todd Zola. A joy to listen to. He truly had the best advice in how to have a great fantasy team.
Thanks to Jon Stadtmueller. We've been bumping heads in drafts for years. And his head is harder than mine, so he usually wins. Common sense drafting has a hand in that too. Always good to see you, Jon.
Thanks To Lindy Hinkelman. A soft spoken guy who lives half mile away from his closest neighbor. Even with that rural setting, Lindy is the E.F. Hutton of the NFBC, when he talks, people listen.
Thanks to Dave Clum. Always has good stories and just a great person at the draft table.
Thanks to Greg, Tom and everybody that worked and facilitated. Flawless. Seamless. I din't hear one complaint. You guys really know how to put on a show.
Thanks to Roger Martin. I don't know how you did it, but you put up with me for most of the weekend. Most folks get tired of my endless talk of baseball. You gave it right back to me. Even more, you indulged me by letting me partner with you. I'm rooting for you to succeed while I'm along for the ride.
Thanks to Wayne Edwards. Not just because he brought me a bag of Doritos. :D
I have never met a man who loves life more than this man. Paris, paintings, concerts, Elton John, the Braves. This is no backwoods southern man. Wayne's wife slayed men at the poker tables and they enjoyed themselves on the money by shopping, seeing Elton John, and other shows while in Vegas.
If Wayne and his wife had a reality show on tv, I'd watch....as long as it wasn't during baseball season.

To all that mentioned the words 'Votto' and 'value' to me... a good-natured F*** you' to you, although I'm sure I already said it.
To all that introduced themselves to me, thank you, whether I forgot you or not. It is always a pleasure putting a face to the posts.
To all, best weekend ever. My wife calls it the 'goofy fantasy smile'.
It is still on my face.
Last edited by DOUGHBOYS on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:41 pm

What a heart-felt and classy post! Behind Greg and Tom, you're the man who I most identify with the NFBC. No better ambassador for this game we love and live and die with every year.

I can totally relate to the goofy fantasy smile, which I'm also still wearing.

:D

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Yah Mule wrote:What a heart-felt and classy post! Behind Greg and Tom, you're the man who I most identify with the NFBC. No better ambassador for this game we love and live and die with every year.

I can totally relate to the goofy fantasy smile, which I'm also still wearing.

:D
+1

(Dan didn't thank me for not showing up and bringing down the overall aura of excitement, but I'm cool with that.) ;)
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

RobG

Post by RobG » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Dan, it was a pleasure drafting with both you and Roger. I don't think there were two more gracious and genuine people in the room. Class acts all the way.

I had a great auction group yesterday afternoon with Don Warner, Bob Mazur, John Pausma, Lindy and Gabe, Ken O'Brien, Jim Jeckewicz, and others...not to mention being next to Rod Nixon and Ryan Lahinksi....thanks guys.

Vegas was a great time and I am already looking forward to next year.

Unfortunately Dan, I noticed you are going to continue to stalk me this weekend in the online Main Event. Good luck.
Rob Giese

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:01 am

Dan,

You are, as always, too kind. I really enjoyed getting to see you again and meeting your wife and grandson. We love the baseball, but the fellowship is what makes our event special. And your restraint...never even cracked the Dorito's...they were supposed to distract you! Now I know I will be chasing you all year in the Main. Well, it is all worth it!

How sweet it is!
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

LTDave

Post by LTDave » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:19 am

You're a great guy, Dan! Thanks for the shout out... it's great to be back and hanging out with you all! You and Roger are both great guys and I thoroughly enjoyed talking with you (though not a huge fan of you drafting next to me haha)... good luck this year and see you next year! :D

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:50 am

Dan, You stated all the things I miss from the NFBC. Good luck this year.

Walla Walla

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:25 am

Roger Martin applied just enough peer pressure that I will draft at least one of my Main Event teams live in Vegas in between auctions next year.

:lol:

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:53 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I hate doing this, because I know I'll miss somebody and hurt their feelings...but I've got to try and thank each person...

Thanks to Ken Magner who threw me a hello across the All Star Auction room.
Thanks to Glenn Lowy who really has to get his nicotine addiction under control. A man as nice as his posts.
Thanks to Shawn Childs. Shawn is incredulous in how much baseball I actually do watch. I am incredulous that Shawn has even less notes than I do, but seems more prepared.
Thanks to Bob Particelli. A man who is direct and to the point, yet likeable. That's hard to pull off.
Thanks to Bob and Dan. What a great pair and what a great love for the game we play. Mr. Mazur even made a Marx Brothers comment. I could almost hear my grandson saying, "Who?"
Thanks to Dan Semsel. What a wonderful guy. How many people do you hear say this..."I'll probably just run to California and back"
Thanks to Joe Anthony. Joe was laying low, getting over a bad sickness. It's worth getting sick to shake your hand, Joe.
Thanks to Dave McDonald. Good to have you back and good to meet you.
Thanks to Joe Lecak. I still say there is 'a look' to you east coasters. A 'Don't f*** with me look.
Thanks to Kent Stermon. Man, it is always great to see you, Bud. Love hearing your stories and hope you get that Koufax ball.
Thanks to Brady. I never knew that was your name. Two things I do know, you are one of the most intelligent writers to never post on these Boards and you have an incredible three year old. EVERYBODY will know his name.
Thanks to Mike Cameron. Love seeing you every year.
Thanks to Jeff Dobies. Hey, I thought a match between Semsel and Lowy was a good idea, but you know your neighbor better than I do!
Thanks to Andy Nolan. THE most unsung player in the NFBC. A good friend.
Thanks to Neal Moses and his buddy. It is always good talking baseball with you guys. The barking of players names at the auction was hilarious.
Thanks to Joe Berg. One of the funniest lines of the weekend was when Joe introduced his friends as his 'bodyguards'.
Thanks to Brady Tinker. First time for me. And what a treat. He is the absolute king of live facilitation.
Thamks to Bryan Vogel. The Man from S.N.A.R.K....Who just happens to be a damned good player and nice fella.
Thanks to KJ Duke. The only person on the planet that greets me with, "Hey, looks like you've lost weight" If the wheels of his mind were wheels on a car, NASCAR would be laid to rest.
Thanks to Steve Jupinka. Always good seeing you. Always with a smile plastered to your face.
Thanks to Rich VanFleet. I wish I had more time to talk, Rich. I still can't believe you didn't get many kids this year.
Thanks to John Pausma. Wonderful to see you. Just not sitting next to me at the draft. You knew 'My Guys' better than I did.
Thanks to Matt Modica. A guy who truly loved being there. Didn't know whether to talk about the last draft, or next one. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Thanks to Mark Srebro. I had a feeling we wouldn't see each other unless bugging you during your draft. Hope I wasn't a bother.
Thanks to Rob Silver and Rob Giese. It seemed like we were all stalking each other. Pleasure to meet you guys while 'Rob'ing my players.
Thanks to Anthony Palavis. It was good to put a face to the name.
Thanks to Sam Botnick. Sam, don't be surprised if I say, "It is good to meet you" again next year too.
Thanks to Gregg Janoff. It seems like most years we get in the same draft. Which is too bad since we like the same players.
Thanks to Andy Robinson. Always with a smile on his face and my player on his lips.
Thanks to David DiDonato. New Hall of Famer and I get him in both Mains. If I lose to you, Dave, I'll know it was by one of the best.
Thanks to all the 'Eric's' I met. Man, there should be an NFBC league with 'Mike's, and 'Eric's' .
Thanks to Mike DeCavalcante. Great to meet you.
Thanks to Jim Stanard. A gentleman.
Thanks to Jim Jeckowicz. It was a pleasure chatting with you. Keep up the great posts.
Thanks to Mike Edelman. Great having the conversation as we left the Bellagio. Always pictured him as quietly one of the best players.... he is.
Thanks to Ken Norred. Always cool to hear that southern drawl. I don't let it fool me though. There's a lot of baseball know-how that goes with it.
Thanks to Dave Potts. Didn't get to talk to you, Mr. Potts, but across the room, you always seemed to be enjoying yourself.
Thanks to Todd Zola. A joy to listen to. He truly had the best advice in how to have a great fantasy team.
Thanks to Jon Stadtmueller. We've been bumping heads in drafts for years. And his head is harder than mine, so he usually wins. Common sense drafting has a hand in that too. Always good to see you, Jon.
Thanks To Lindy Hinkelman. A soft spoken guy who lives half mile away from his closest neighbor. Even with that rural setting, Lindy is the E.F. Hutton of the NFBC, when he talks, people listen.
Thanks to Dave Clum. Always has good stories and just a great person at the draft table.
Thanks to Greg, Tom and everybody that worked and facilitated. Flawless. Seamless. I din't hear one complaint. You guys really know how to put on a show.
Thanks to Roger Martin. I don't know how you did it, but you put up with me for most of the weekend. Most folks get tired of my endless talk of baseball. You gave it right back to me. Even more, you indulged me by letting me partner with you. I'm rooting for you to succeed while I'm along for the ride.
Thanks to Wayne Edwards. Not just because he brought me a bag of Doritos. :D
I have never met a man who loves life more than this man. Paris, paintings, concerts, Elton John, the Braves. This is no backwoods southern man. Wayne's wife slayed men at the poker tables and they enjoyed themselves on the money by shopping, seeing Elton John, and other shows while in Vegas.
If Wayne and his wife had a reality show on tv, I'd watch....as long as it wasn't during baseball season.

To all that mentioned the words 'Votto' and 'value' to me... a good-natured F*** you' to you, although I'm sure I already said it.
To all that introduced themselves to me, thank you, whether I forgot you or not. It is always a pleasure putting a face to the posts.
To all, best weekend ever. My wife calls it the 'goofy fantasy smile'.
It is still on my face.
Great post. Might have beaten my weekend by a shade :lol:
Hopefully two years from now, when my older child finally graduates from DAY CARE --- I will be able to join the fun and the heavy hitters for a live draft. It won't be in Vegas though as NYC is just much more convenient....

Oaktown

Post by Oaktown » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:58 am

Great post and so true, such a great event. Was fun to share a Primetime League with ya.

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:40 am

Hi Dan

Great to meet you and Roger. I participated in the Friday 10 AM Las Vegas Primetime draft with you. I'm already planning next years budget. Greg and Tom put on quite a show. Living in Las Vegas I was struck by the commitment of all the participants who come in from all parts of the country. This was my first NFBC event really enjoyed the atmosphere. I got quite the education in drafting. I met my simple goal. I did not double nominate anyone. I enjoyed drafting with all the participants at that table.
Good luck to everyone.

Joe Lecak
Las Vegas

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Dan, make no mistake about it, you are a class act. Great posts.

What makes the NFBC experience so great, what no one else has been able to replicate in the world of fantasy baseball, is more than just the drafts themselves, as great an experience as they are in and of itself.

It's the live draft experience, the moments in and around these drafts, the drinks together before or after, the laughs with the person drafting in the seat next to you, the conversations during the breaks, the discussions around the draft boards, getting together for dinner or cards or just some chat on the Grand Patio after the drafts, and on and on. Whether able to have a long conversation or a quick hello, it's these moments that make the NFBC special.

And it's the people who come to these events that make those moments what they are. I haven't met all you named, but those I have are great people. And those I haven't I'm sure are just as great and hope to meet someday as well. Every time I spoke to Dan Semsel this weekend, he would mention how much he loved the NFBC Las Vegas weekend each year. And it was rarely the drafts, but always the people at these drafts that he was talking about.

I took the red eye last night and arrived home this morning. I'm tired and I missed my family. I'm glad to be home. But I so thoroughly enjoyed this past few days in Las Vegas, and will miss the conversations in and around the drafts that filled those few days. I'll see a few of you again in New York come Friday. The rest I will hopefully see again next year. Thanks for a great time.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:13 pm

Agree across the board. Getting a chance to catch up with some great people over a few draft picks, bids, beers, and bets....all well worth it. I treasure this 96 hour period every year and start counting down as soon as the world series ends (usually after we're 12-20 rounds into a Premature Doughy EMail Draft).
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

Rog

Post by Rog » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:44 am

What an awesome time and experience it was in Vegas . Knowing that I Was in for a huge weekend with 5 drafts I had 4 friends come out with me and my wife so that I could spend more time mingling with a bunch of you that I was looking forward to meeting. It became very difficult for me to manage all that I needed to do out there. For all of you that I did get to finally meet and talk to thank you for giving me a few minutes of your time. Those of you that I didn't just gives me another excuse to come back next year. It always amazes how many times over the years it seems like I meet more of you but miss out on even more. My loss for sure. All the events were very nice ,the food was really good and the facilitators where very good. Special thanks to Greg and Tom and all the rest involved.
Getting to be able to sit in 4 of them drafts with a good friend one of the finest ambassadors of the nfbc and the message boards PRICELESS.

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for swinging by and saying Hi at the Primetime Dan, it was nice seeing you as always. Sorry I was so out of it, having Pneumonia really put a damper on my Vegas trip!
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb