Anatomy of An Auction

ALL-IN JD

Anatomy of An Auction

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Before diving into my Diamond Auction team (with Mike Edelman as my partner) I just wanted to say that for those who have never done an NFBC live auction you don't know what you are missing, especially with the new draft boards. Simply awesome!! There is nothing like the rush of an auction. It is extremely strategic and unlike snake drafts with KDS (and all the complaints of getting a crappy draft spots) if you want Trout, Kershaw or any one else all you have to do is bid $1 more than someone else. I hope the NFBC Auction Championship takes another step forward next year.

On to the team. I have a different strategy than most as I do my best to not spend over $20 on any player. Of course sometimes I let my hair down and exceed that number! I spread the dollars around and many times I unfortunately leave money on the table (sometimes because of waiting to long to jump in and sometimes because of perceived bargains). It's a tough strategy to execute as you need to be BEYOND patient. I usually spend the first 90 minutes drafting maybe a player or two. I really like the Diamond Auction team but the league was stacked with great owners so the league will be ultra competitive and difficult to win. Three teams punted saves so it even made the draft more interesting Can't wait for tomorrow and opening day!!

Catchers:

Travis D'Arnaud ($9) - One of the catchers I have targeted often this year. I expect 20 homers and hope he can up his average.
Matt Wieters - ($5) - Definitely a high risk/ high reward pick. Decided to pay the $5 and hope he is good to go by the end of April. Will pickup a catcher Sunday to replace him

1B:

Morse ($5) - As i did not pull the trigger on Belt, Adams or Hosmer I felt fortunate to get Morse at $5. He is hitting in the middle of a very good lineup and if he can stay on the field should go 20-75. Felt there was definite profit there at $5

2B:

Utley ($10) -Targeted Kinsler and Dozier but they went for $19 and $23 respectively. $10 was more than I wanted to spend on Utley but he definitely looks good so far this spring so I am hoping to coax a solid year out of Utley. Definite injury risk though

SS:

Alexei Ramirez ($15) - Rock solid SS at a very reasonable price. Very good lineup, very good hitters park and offers a nice combo of speed/power with solid BA. Targeted him often as I he fits my plan.

3B:

Kyle Seager ($20) - Wanted to get either Frazier or Seager at $20 or less so mission accomplished. Seager had a really solid season and offers a nice power/speed combo from a corner position.

MI:

Marcus Semien ($17) - He was our last player and had money left hence the $17. He probably would have gone in the 5-7 dollar range so $10-12 what was left over. Oakland is a tough pitcher's park but Semien has the every day job and offers that power/speed combo that I look for. BA could be a drag but still offers nice upside

CI:

Manny Machado ($12) - Can't seem to shake my love for Machado. He really hurt me last year but was excellent when he came back from his first injury (until he got hurt again). Even with his injury risk I like him better than Sandoval and Wright who both went for more

OF:

Cespedes ($21) - Was looking for a power bat in the $20 range and was very happy to land Cespedes. Great lineup in a great hitters park. Should get 30 homers and 90 RBI (hoping for even better)
Joc Pederson ($15) - Could run away with rookie of the year or could greatly disappoint. Definitely had to pay for his upside. Tough pitchers park but outstanding lineup. He sure raked at AAA and this spring so the power/speed combo he offers is very appealing.
Rusney Castillo ($10) - Banking on that Cuban pedigree, Puig, Abreu and now hopefully Castillo. Will back fill him for the first few weeks but I am certainly expecting much more than $10 in stats
Avasail Garcia ($11) - I usually stay away from guys that burned me the year before but this guy can rake if he can stay on the field. I think it was a fair price for him
Mike Cuddyer ($10) - Continuing the theme of "if he can stay on the field" I always seem to be chasing BA and even if Cuddyer loses 20-30 points off of his average from last year he is still a .300 hitter with plenty of pop
Pompey ($7) - Needed speed and Pompey more than fits the bill. He will be playing everyday at the top of a strong lineup and can even hit 10-12 homers, so definitely not a Judy.

Pitchers:

Wainwright ($18) - Looking for an ace in the $18-20 range and settled on Wainwright. He is a bulldog and should certainly deliver across the board
Pineda ($13) - I am very high on Pineda and have him A LOT. I know he is a bit of injury risk but they way he pitched last year and this spring he looks like a strong number two
Ventura ($12) - A solid number three with a ton of upside. K's and W's should be very solid but do worry about the WHIP
Weaver ($11) - Looks like a rock solid number four. Numbers should be solid across the board
T. Walker ($12) - I am ALL IN in on Walker. He was my breakout pitcher early on and unfortunately his big spring had him zooming up draft boards. Great stuff, great pitchers park, looking forward to see what he does this year.
Archer ($7) - Can do a heck of a lot worse than Archer as a number six starter. Offers quite a bit of upside and would expect a very solid season from him
Britton ($9) - I love Britton. He was tremendous last year and I have no reason to think he will not be just as effective this year. I think he is a steal at $9
Casilla ($6) - Another closer I really like. I know all about Romo but Casilla was lights out in the playoffs and World Series and the giants play a ton of one run games. Another steal at $6
Feliz ($5) - For what I paid I can live with him as a third closer, Rangers may not win much but if Feliz has his velocity back he should be miore than good as a third closer

Bench:

Bradley and Warren - Definitely two plus bench pitchers with oodles of upside
Swiher and Ike Davis - Potential power bats off the bench
Swihart - Callup in June/July?
Peraza - Will hold him as long as I don't need the roster spot
Ackley - Will probably back fill Castillo with him for the first few weeks.

All in all I really like the team. Probably missed out on a few guys but overall a very good team with a tremendous amount of upside. The pitching should garner a lot of points so winning will come down to how well the offense performs.

BK METS

Re: Anatomy of An Auction

Post by BK METS » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:47 pm

Hey Jeff. As you know well, I come from a completely different auction philosophy. For example, my stars and scrubs super auction team consisted of 3 first round picks (McCutchen, Abreu, Altuve) 2 stud pitchers (Harvey, Wainwright) and 11 one dollar players. But, I really like the upside to your team. I don't think the speed is there, with a ton of Judy players on rosters, but I think there will be enough speed in FAAB to be had. I'm shocked you actually got 3 closers since I know how you despise them. Good luck with this team. I wish I could have partnered with you on this.

Alan

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:58 pm

what hair?

You got me on Ventura...one of the guys I had targeted but could not push it w/o jeopardizing my approach.

Great firing bids with you again, amigo!
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:16 pm

BK METS wrote:Hey Jeff. As you know well, I come from a completely different auction philosophy. For example, my stars and scrubs super auction team consisted of 3 first round picks (McCutchen, Abreu, Altuve) 2 stud pitchers (Harvey, Wainwright) and 11 one dollar players. But, I really like the upside to your team. I don't think the speed is there, with a ton of Judy players on rosters, but I think there will be enough speed in FAAB to be had. I'm shocked you actually got 3 closers since I know how you despise them. Good luck with this team. I wish I could have partnered with you on this.

Alan
Thanks Alan. Good seeing you today and good luck this season.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:16 pm

MadCow Sez wrote:what hair?

You got me on Ventura...one of the guys I had targeted but could not push it w/o jeopardizing my approach.

Great firing bids with you again, amigo!
Absolutely champ. Great time in Vegas!!

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Love this Dobies!!! Now all you need to do is blog about it season long! Wish my partner would let me divulge this draft but I'm on lockdown. :lol:

As I'm sure you have talked about this tons with everyone, the only thing I'm curious about is whether or not this can work when the higher priced guys don't get inflated. Or, at the worst, why not raise your max bid on a player to 23 or 24$? You're the auction guy so who the hell am I to question you, just curious is all because really like the format. Definitely will be joining a ton of these next season.

I know you stole Alexi from us in that auction but know your partner almost killed you for not grabbing a certain player... I really liked the Garcia pick as I like him a lot too this year but didn't ever get a chance to own him. My scouting report on you before the draft had you picking Cuddy and would have bet a ton you found a way to grab him.

Wainy at 18 might have been the steal of the draft if he can get his 210IP, was shocked to see him go that low. That was prob the only guy I was trying to get Steve's attention on during the entire auction as wanted to stay out of his way. You def went the high upside arms and I cant complain with the staff you assembled at all. Love Walker, but who doesn't these days. Was definitely interesting to see 3 teams punt saves and 6-7 teams grab 3 closers in this one. Your bench though is nasty. Not a single pick wasted and useable guys. Curious to see if that is the way to go or to have a rotating bench picking up the hot guys each week does.

Finally, one last question... Is there one of your teams that you don't like to start? :lol:

Can't wait to face off with you in more auctions my Jersey friend.... I'm sorry, you guys are all alike... My LONG ISLAND friend! :D

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:37 pm

Doctor Who wrote:Love this Dobies!!! Now all you need to do is blog about it season long! Wish my partner would let me divulge this draft but I'm on lockdown. :lol:

As I'm sure you have talked about this tons with everyone, the only thing I'm curious about is whether or not this can work when the higher priced guys don't get inflated. Or, at the worst, why not raise your max bid on a player to 23 or 24$? You're the auction guy so who the hell am I to question you, just curious is all because really like the format. Definitely will be joining a ton of these next season.

I know you stole Alexi from us in that auction but know your partner almost killed you for not grabbing a certain player... I really liked the Garcia pick as I like him a lot too this year but didn't ever get a chance to own him. My scouting report on you before the draft had you picking Cuddy and would have bet a ton you found a way to grab him.

Wainy at 18 might have been the steal of the draft if he can get his 210IP, was shocked to see him go that low. That was prob the only guy I was trying to get Steve's attention on during the entire auction as wanted to stay out of his way. You def went the high upside arms and I cant complain with the staff you assembled at all. Love Walker, but who doesn't these days. Was definitely interesting to see 3 teams punt saves and 6-7 teams grab 3 closers in this one. Your bench though is nasty. Not a single pick wasted and useable guys. Curious to see if that is the way to go or to have a rotating bench picking up the hot guys each week does.

Finally, one last question... Is there one of your teams that you don't like to start? :lol:

Can't wait to face off with you in more auctions my Jersey friend.... I'm sorry, you guys are all alike... My LONG ISLAND friend! :D
Dusty, thanks! Looking forward to seeing you in more auctions next year. Was great meeting you and Vegas delivered as always.

As far as the bidding it is certainly predicated on inventory and spot in the draft. As you know I won't go over twenty dollars unless I have to. Believe it or not I totally let my hair down in NY and bought Tulo for $26!! I think I my heart skipped a beat spending that much!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for ALWAYS loving my teams that went out the weekend in NY as my Main Event team and Auction Championship were unmitigated disasters! Now I know what Glen Lowry feels like!! :D :D :D

Sebadiah23

Post by Sebadiah23 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:02 pm

Team looks awesome Jeff. If that's not an advertisement for people to try auctions- I don't know what is. Nailed it.

-Craig

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:20 pm

Sebadiah23 wrote:Team looks awesome Jeff. If that's not an advertisement for people to try auctions- I don't know what is. Nailed it.

-Craig
Thanks Craig. Good seeing you in NY.

slopshot

Post by slopshot » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 pm

I would agree with you about the auctions, I did one for the first time last night in Chicago and had a blast, he is my team, I know I over spent on the first few players but I was one of the last to roster a player,

Catchers..

Kurt Suzuki- 1
Jason Castro-3

First ...

Albert Pujols- 26

Second ...

Dustin Pedroia- 20

Short...

Jed Lowrie- 1

Third...

Kyle Seager- 20

Middle ...

Jedd Gyorko- 9

Corner...

Mike Napoli- 7

Out...

Starling Marte- 33
Jacoby Ellsbury- 32
Leony's Martin- 18
Rusney Castillo- 7
Mike Morse- 5

Utl....

Stephen Vogt- 3

Pitching....

Andrew Cashner- 13
Garrett Richards- 12
Joaquin Benoit- 13
Taijuan Walker- 10
Francisco Liriano- 7
Drew Pomeranz- 6
Matt Shoemaker-5
Tyler Clippard- 5
Nathan Eovaldi-3

Let me know what you think....

Thanks,
Chris

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:59 am

Slop -- not enough $$ spent on starting pitching. Just my 2 cents and take it for what it's worth.

JD I am also running with Wainright on my $250 auction team as my ace (it cost me $25 not $18, however). I hope you're right on that pick. He goes tonight vs the Cubs and I'll be watching.

Good luck all.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:12 am

Nice Jeff. In our Auction Championship in Vegas last weekend you employed the same strategy. I kept teasing you about holding onto your money and in the end, I think you only spent $21 on one player, Hamels. My strategy is similar, though I did budget for two $30 offensive players (spent $32 on Adam Jones and $27 on Prince).

Looks good and best of luck.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:55 am

Thanks Wayne and good luck yo you too!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:12 am

I have to admit that I had a hard time getting past Jeff Dobies using the word 'oodles' :D

It looks like a good team, Jeff. As usual, you did a great job.
Rog and I did auctions for the first time this year.
We were struck by two things.
First, how much fun it is to actually, for reals, target players we want.
And second, just how grueling they are.
You mentioned that you hardly spent any money the first couple of hours.
It is like being stuck in LA traffic. It takes a different mindset to sit in than a snake draft, for sure.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:42 am

Absolutely Dan, auctions are the best! It was great seeing you and hopefully we'll have an opportunity to compete against each other next year!

edelman24

Post by edelman24 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:02 am

When Jeff emailed me about being his partner for this, all I can remember was thinking about the story I heard about when he purchased Brian Roberts for $19 a few years ago. I talked to Jupinka who was his partner for that league and a few other people, and all they told me was you may pull your hair out watching Jeff do an auction but the results speak for themselves. After competing against him in the Ultimate auction the night before and seeing him run through the same strategy and end up with Steve Pearce for $26 I was a bit concerned going into the draft. We did have our moments during the draft like Dustin mentioned, and looking back at how the Diamond finished I still feel we may be a little short on the offense but I'm glad to see most people like the team as I'm hoping Jeff can work some magic. Before this Jeff and I knew each other casually from the NY drafts and now I get 28 texts a day and wouldn't have it any other way :mrgreen:

FYI: MR. Roy Erickson purchased Daniel Norris for $31 in NY this year I believe topping Jeff's record :lol:

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:39 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I have to admit that I had a hard time getting past Jeff Dobies using the word 'oodles' :D

It looks like a good team, Jeff. As usual, you did a great job.
Rog and I did auctions for the first time this year.
We were struck by two things.
First, how much fun it is to actually, for reals, target players we want.
And second, just how grueling they are.
You mentioned that you hardly spent any money the first couple of hours.
It is like being stuck in LA traffic. It takes a different mindset to sit in than a snake draft, for sure.
You have to experience it to know what it is like. 5 hours of constant strategy thoughts and being quick on your feet. An auction is much harder mentally than a snake draft. I'm glad so many more people are getting a taste of them.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:40 am

edelman24 wrote:When Jeff emailed me about being his partner for this, all I can remember was thinking about the story I heard about when he purchased Brian Roberts for $19 a few years ago. I talked to Jupinka who was his partner for that league and a few other people, and all they told me was you may pull your hair out watching Jeff do an auction but the results speak for themselves. After competing against him in the Ultimate auction the night before and seeing him run through the same strategy and end up with Steve Pearce for $26 I was a bit concerned going into the draft. We did have our moments during the draft like Dustin mentioned, and looking back at how the Diamond finished I still feel we may be a little short on the offense but I'm glad to see most people like the team as I'm hoping Jeff can work some magic. Before this Jeff and I knew each other casually from the NY drafts and now I get 28 texts a day and wouldn't have it any other way :mrgreen:

FYI: MR. Roy Erickson purchased Daniel Norris for $31 in NY this year I believe topping Jeff's record :lol:
Thanks Mike. I sure hope I make you proud! It was definitely a grueling last 10 days but man those auctions are a rush!

Brock

Post by Brock » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:15 pm

Jeff, as always great to draft with you and enjoyed sitting between you and Mike Edelman. As you pointed out there's nothing like drafting an auction live and competing against some of the best players anywhere. It's always very interesting to see the different strategies that guys use and to take part and observe some of the bidding wars. Auctions are and always will be my favorite format. Best of luck to you this season and kudos to your son Jordan who was fantastic and helped us complete our main event in three hours. Play ball.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:48 pm

I say this with the highest degree of respect I can. I learned to play auction nfbc by partnering with Jeff. I have since developed my own strategies but still incorporate much of what I learned from him into my auction drafting. This post was very insightful. Jeff is a good guy and a good friend.

Best of luck in your leagues this year bud.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:53 pm

76erfan wrote:I say this with the highest degree of respect I can. I learned to play auction nfbc by partnering with Jeff. I have since developed my own strategies but still incorporate much of what I learned from him into my auction drafting. This post was very insightful. Jeff is a good guy and a good friend.

Best of luck in your leagues this year bud.
Thanks for the kind words Andy and good luck you my friend!

Roy's Outlaws

Post by Roy's Outlaws » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:39 pm

edelman24 wrote:When Jeff emailed me about being his partner for this, all I can remember was thinking about the story I heard about when he purchased Brian Roberts for $19 a few years ago. I talked to Jupinka who was his partner for that league and a few other people, and all they told me was you may pull your hair out watching Jeff do an auction but the results speak for themselves. After competing against him in the Ultimate auction the night before and seeing him run through the same strategy and end up with Steve Pearce for $26 I was a bit concerned going into the draft. We did have our moments during the draft like Dustin mentioned, and looking back at how the Diamond finished I still feel we may be a little short on the offense but I'm glad to see most people like the team as I'm hoping Jeff can work some magic. Before this Jeff and I knew each other casually from the NY drafts and now I get 28 texts a day and wouldn't have it any other way :mrgreen:

Mike , Didn't you get the memo------Daniel Norris WINS the A.L. Cy Young Award. LOL :D Only way to make me look like a GENIUS

morons

Post by morons » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 am

I like your pitching staff a lot. Wainwright a good value, and he showed tonight he's not done yet. Solid bullpen for you too.
I too think Cespedes will have a big year- perhaps 100+ RBI hitting with Miggy, VMart, and Kinsler in front of him.

I admire your strategy, and I have seen it work well in the past for you in an auction league we competed against in the past, but it seems your offense has too many "could be" and "maybes" for my liking. You have perhaps 3 guys I'd consider Top 100 players at this point...

Here is my first auction from last Thursday night. I had planned to snag Mike Trout for $63 but unfortunately he went for $65 I believe :D

Seriously though,

C- Tyler Flowers 1
C- Carlos Ruiz 1
1B- Paul Goldschmidt 44
2B- Devon Travis 1
3B- Todd Frazier 22
SS- Jean Segura 10
CI- Miguel Cabrera 39
MI- Alexi Ramirez 12
OF- Mark Trumbo 15
OF- Yoenis Cespedes 24
OF- Colby Rasmus 1
OF- Juan Lagares 1
OF- Josh Reddick 1
UT- CJ Cron 1

P- Johnny Cueto 26
P- Gio Gonzalez 13
P- Scott Kazmir 3
P- Anibal Sanchez 8
P- Carlos Martinez 1
P- Kendall Graveman 1
P- Jonathan Papelbon 12
P- Trevor Rosenthal 15
P- Francisco Rodriguez 8

B- Aaron Hill, Everth Cabrera, Jake Lamb, Francisco Lindor, Josh Collmenter, Joel Peralta, Jonathan Broxton

Best of luck to you

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:10 am

Thanks. I think you are going to be severely BA challenged as well as rather light in SB. I do like your staff a lot but I think paid too much for those closers (but I do not typically spend more than $9-10 for any closer). Good luck this year as well.

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:43 am

Ready for opening day and still have 90 minutes til a game comes on to watch so I thought I would share all 3 auction teams i drafted this weekend....all are pretty unique.....one post at a time.

Friday 10 am...I partnered with Todd Whitestone..........came up with this
C Ruiz 2
C Iannetta 1
1B Pujols 24
2B Wong 13
SS A.Escobar 13
3B Donaldson 26
CI Machado 14
MI B.Miller 2
U M.Adams 9
OF Cespedes 23
OF Bruce 19
OF Soler 17
OF Werth 7
OF Cain 5

SP Price 28
SP Wood 18
SP Cain 7
SP Pomeranz 4
SP B.Anderson 2
RP W.Davis 2
RP Mujica 2
RP Gregerson 11
RP Rosenthal 11

bench is Infante, Rasmus, Dyson, Worley(replaced on faab by Locke), Minor, T.Hudson, Cosart

love our offense.,,especially power..need to find speed in season....wanted wong and donaldson coming in and got both. went heavy on offense so need some upside with pitching staff to come through.

thought cheap saves was nice with Mujica and we both liked Wade Davis...so thought it was worth a flier for k's and era/whip help.

went heavy SP in reserve round and like upside with Cosart and Tim Hudson is pretty playable when matchups are right.

Thoughts?