Kimbrel plus Melvin to the Padres

Deadheadz

Kimbrel plus Melvin to the Padres

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Ken Rosenthal of FOX has reported Kimbre and Upton to Padres for Quentin or Maybin.

Full deal:
Padres get Kimbrel and Upton
Braves get Maybin, Quentin, Wisler, Paroubeck and 41st pick.

Last edited by Deadheadz on Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Doctor Who

Re: Kimbrel plus Melvin to the Padres

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

So dumb. Loved Benoit this year. Already day 0 and left scrambling...

Hells Satans

Post by Hells Satans » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:33 pm

Bahahaha.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Well I will be a son of a bitch....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:21 pm

I lose Benoit saves for a few teams, but even more excitement at Petco this season! :D

GetALife

Post by GetALife » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:22 pm

Doctor Who wrote:So dumb. Loved Benoit this year. Already day 0 and left scrambling...
lol; had Benoit and Uehara DL
season practically over; not built to punt saves either.
C-YA! Have a nice season boys. now, just have to hope fantasy insurance comes in.
wow.

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:47 pm

Nice timing for a trade. Another reason why I hate drafting closers

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:58 pm

Preller may see an opening with the LA/ SF lack of pitching depth ... don't be surprised if he goes out and gets a SS soon too. Keep hammering!

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:02 pm

Enjoy that team this year KJ! Hope you are going to opening day!!!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:31 pm

Doctor Who wrote:Enjoy that team this year KJ! Hope you are going to opening day!!!
Too busy with lineups and work, but I'll be there by Saturday and maybe sooner. :)

mattjb

Post by mattjb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:51 pm

Be interesting to see the top bids tonight. It;s going to be carnage somewhere.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:54 am

I expected Kimbrel to be traded, just not so soon. Wish I had drafted Grilli...hindsight.

The Braves salary dump continues. Good Upton ($14.7M + impending FA)), Bad Upton ($15.1), Heyward ($8.3 + impending FA), Kimbrel :cry: ($9.3). Lost some cheap players (Gattis primarily, Walden) and ditched some high arbitration year guys (Medlen, Venters). More salary dump as Uggla and Quentin have collectively $22.7m in cost with no return but no impact on 2016.

Picked up salary in Cahill (net $5.7m) which could be a good deal if he can google-map home plate with no 2016 impact unless they want him. Bullpen gone from decided strength to decided weakness (outside of Grilli and Johnson, five arms, mostly very young, costing in total less than $3.0M). Grilli is the only guy with 2016 potential impact ($3.5m). Total bullpen cost, as arranged right now, a blue-light special at about $8.8m.

Lot's of young arms under team control (Teheran doesn't exceed $10M in salary until 2019), Wood and Miller going into ARB1 next year. Top six Braves SP (including Stults and Minor) will cost about $15.5m in total this year). Loaded in the high minors via trade (Foltynewicz, Banuelos, Wisler) with some rehabbing from TJS (Winkler, Fried) and some home-grown (Hursh at AAA and Sims at AA). A couple should make good rotation material and a couple will be trade bait.

Still need a third baseman (best prospect is Rio Ruiz obtained from HOU will be at AA and not sure he can stay at the hot corner) and lots of outfielders. Maybin and Markakis are relatively cheap and under control for a couple of years, so if they stay healthy they could be traded later. Who knows. For right now, Maybin over Melvin looks like upside. Subject to change, 2015 remaining cost:

INF $18.5m (AVG per player $4.6m)
OF $23.1m Includes Gomes and Young (AVG per player $5.8m)
C $2.5m Includes AJ (AVG per player $1.25m)
B $5.0m (AVG per player $1.7m)
SP $15.5m Includes Stults and Minor (AVG per player $2.6m)
RP $8.8m (AVG per player $1.3m)

:( Braves '17 anyone?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:57 am

Wayne,

Over/Under for Braves this year - 68 wins - which side are you on? :D

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:01 am

Strangly enough...over right now. Depending on how soon/if they trade Maybin, Markakis and C. Johnson, I reserve the right to amend, but I still do not believe they are the worse team in the division and will finish ahead of either the Mutts or the Fish too. Just a feeling, but that could be from those eight day old collard greens I ate last night...

Charles Krauthammer

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:32 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:Wayne,

Over/Under for Braves this year - 68 wins - which side are you on? :D
that's an under easy. phillies were/are the worst team in the division, but the braves just came to their level.

wayne, don't spin it. they traded good upton, heyward, gattis, kimbrel, etc and they got shelby miller in return. hart is an idiot

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:55 am

Depends on what Hart's goals are. If it is to dump salary and stock arms, rebuild from a core of Freeman, Peraza, Simmons, and Bethancourt, he is bang on. Only has $53.4M in committed salaries next year and that includes Markakis, Maybin, C. Johnson, and Grilli. Lots of room to maneuvre. Spin? Yes, freely admitted, but there is some substance to the strategy, if that is indeed there strategy.
Charles Krauthammer

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:00 am

he's stocking arms. but atl fans need to temper their "excitement" over that. just a few short years ago, teheran, delgado, and vizcaino were on lists as 3 of the top young arms in the game....

he traded good upton AND kimbrel to sd and still didn't walk away with renfroe. fail

the game has passed hart, cox, js by. good thing they are calling all the shots. :cry: they make amaro look like, well, nevermind, they are still more adept than him. but that's not saying much

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 am

With Benoit and Quackenbush they would have been better served using that trade capital to acquire Cole Hamels.

ALL-IN JD

Post by ALL-IN JD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:07 am

Yah Mule wrote:With Benoit and Quackenbush they would have been better served using that trade capital to acquire Cole Hamels.
That might be true but they gave up nothing really to get an elite closer, and they still have those assets to trade.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:22 am

ALL-IN JD wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:With Benoit and Quackenbush they would have been better served using that trade capital to acquire Cole Hamels.
That might be true but they gave up nothing really to get an elite closer, and they still have those assets to trade.
They gave up minor leaguers and a draft pick, but this deal seemed to be as much about getting Quentin and Maybin off the books as anything. I guess they figured they were better off devoting that payroll to someone who could actually contribute to the team this year.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:36 am

But they got Bad Upton and his $14.5M (then $15.5M, then $16.5M) and Good Upton can be a FA after this year and will be expensive to keep...
Charles Krauthammer

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:00 am

Edwards Kings wrote:But they got Bad Upton and his $14.5M (then $15.5M, then $16.5M) and Good Upton can be a FA after this year and will be expensive to keep...
braves fans buying into that makes me sad :(

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:05 am

So next you are gonna tell me it wasn't the Easter Bunny who left me my hollow chocolate rabbit and who met my wife quite by accident....

What a buzz kill you are.... :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 pm

i know, i'm a debbie downer.

i blame the sunshine boys