Ranking The Shortstops

Greg Ambrosius

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:39 am

I didn't send out an e-mail request to our NFBC Content Panelists yet, but if you're checking the boards feel free to e-mail your Top 20 shortstops by Monday and we'll talk about that position. I just ranked and rated every shortstop for our magazine and it is a solid group. Very interesting group indeed. I look forward to the lists and we'll post all of them on Tuesday morning. Thanks everyone.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

The Lollygaggers

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by The Lollygaggers » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:28 am

Here is my list of 34 shortstops worth considering (in alphabetical order). This should help us avoid accidental omissions.

Aurilia

E Aybar

Barmes

Bartlett

Berroa

Betancourt

O Cabrera

R Cedeno

Crosby

S Drew

Eckstein

A Everett

Furcal

Greene

C Guillen

B Hall

Hardy

A Hill

Jeter

F Lopez

Lugo

Peralta

Punto

H Ramirez

Renteria

Reyes

Rollins

F Sanchez

Tejada

Tulowitzki

Uribe

Vizquel

J Wilson

M Young

Did I miss anyone?

Gordon Gekko

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:41 am

I'll get on this, this weekend. Thanks for the list peden

Greg Ambrosius

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:40 am

The Shortstop position is very, very interesting this year with lots of options to choose from. Here are the Top 20 rankings according to the consensus of our NFBC Content Panel:

1. Jose Reyes

2. Derek Jeter

3. Jimmy Rollins

4. Hanley Ramirez

5. Miguel Tejada

6. Rafael Furcal

7. Michael Young

8. Felipe Lopez

9. Carlos Guillen

10. Bill Hall

11. Orlando Cabrera

12. Edgar Renteria

13. Julio Lugo

14. Stephen Drew

15. Jhonny Peralta

16. Omar Vizquel

17. Freddy Sanchez

18. Rich Aurilia

19. Khalil Greene

20. Bobby Crosby

Here's some interesting notes about the shortstops:

** Jose Reyes was No. 1 on all but two ballots and actually was ranked third once. Jimmy Rollins got one vote and Miguel Tejada got the other first place vote.

** Derek Jeter was ranked second on all but three ballots, finishing third each time. Jimmy Rollins was almost a consensus No. 3 pick at this spot.

** Michael Young ranked as high as fourth and as low as ninth. Bill Hall ranked as high as seventh and as low as 14th.

** Stephen Drew ranked as high as 10th and as low as 18th. Freddy Sanchez ranked as high as 13th and out of the Top 20 on several ballots.

For the most part, there was universal consensus on the Top 20 rankings of shortstop. Not much variation from our NFBC Content Panelists. Again, there were no rookies who made the Top 20, same as first base and second base.

Thoughts?
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

BEF

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by BEF » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:54 am

Interesting to note that three on this list are more utility/multipositional players than everyday shortstops: Hall, Sanchez and Aurilia. Does that say that they're on this list because they're so valuable due to their flexibility, or because the remaining shortstops are so far below the line that they can't even beat out a guy who doesn't play the position regularly?
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

DOUGHBOYS

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:17 am

This year Hall has no flexibility, at least until they move him to the outfield.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Gordon Gekko

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:19 am

How soon everyone forgets how injury prone reyes has been in the past

Captain Hook

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:28 pm

1) Would the two who did not have Reyes at #1 please stand behing your rankings and give some reason(s)[yes, peyote or maryjane is a valid reason I guess]

2)Bill Hall ONLY qualfies at SS I believe - where would you like us to put him - and even if he did still qualify at 3B or OF he should be placed at the position where he has the most value which would be shortstop.

3) By the same token I consider it silly to rank Freddy Sanchez at SS when the 2B list was much weaker and thus where you would get more value playing him, so I applaud those of you who left him off for that reason.

Gordon Gekko

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:59 pm

just an FYI...j.reyes was the 4th best SS after the all-star break last season

Greg Ambrosius

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Bill Hall played 127 games at shortstop, 11 at third base, 7 in centerfield and 4 at second base. He only qualifies at SS in the NFBC until he plays 10 games in the outfield in 2007. The Brewers have already said that Hall will start in left field and maybe even centerfield if they can't trade Geoff Jenkins.

GG, Reyes had a hamstring injury in 2004 and was definitely hobbled by it. He led the majors with 696 at-bats in 2005 and played in 153 games last year, collecting another 647 at-bats. He also has led the NL the last two years in stolen bases with 60 and 64 and hasn't had any recurrence of that old hamstring injury. But of course, he always could get injured this year! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Captain Hook

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:10 pm

Originally posted by Gordon Gekko:

just an FYI...j.reyes was the 4th best SS after the all-star break last season Lizard - he was still the best shortstop and arguably the most valuable fantasy player for the whole season. And his 1st/ 2nd half splits were remarkably even for $ value.

[ December 11, 2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Captain Hook ]

Vander

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Vander » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:34 pm

I've got Reyes pretty easily #1 and that's considering I had Jeter last year and was pretty happy with him.

poopy tooth

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by poopy tooth » Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:46 pm

Miguel Tejada got the other first place vote.

Is someone trying to tank the ratings??? :D I'm kidding, but I honestly think Tejada is one of the most overrated players out there.

KJ Duke

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:07 pm

Originally posted by poopy tooth:

quote:Miguel Tejada got the other first place vote.

Is someone trying to tank the ratings??? :D I'm kidding, but I honestly think Tejada is one of the most overrated players out there. [/QUOTE]agreed. He probably won't hit .300 again, his power is only average and he doesn't run much. Barely makes my top 10 at SS.

Gordon Gekko

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Gordon Gekko » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:23 pm

Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Lizard - he was still the best shortstop and arguably the most valuable fantasy player for the whole season. And his 1st/ 2nd half splits were remarkably even for $ value. funny if he was so good why no team (who got him for a discount last as compared to this coming year) finished in the top 5 overall with reyes on their team. none in the top 10 either.

his 2nd half split was fourth best for SS.

sportsbettingman

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by sportsbettingman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:23 pm

It's just GG being GG...classic...for those who can read through his posts...you can see who he values, and who he wants YOU to overvalue!

~Lance
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."

~Albert Einstein

King of Queens

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by King of Queens » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:48 pm

3) By the same token I consider it silly to rank Freddy Sanchez at SS when the 2B list was much weaker and thus where you would get more value playing him, so I applaud those of you who left him off for that reason. Same with Julio Lugo

Liquidhippo

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Liquidhippo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:01 pm

I had Reyes #1. Gekko brings up a good point about Reyes injury troubles in the past. There is an element of risk there, so I can understand why someone would have him lower than #1. But 2 straight years with 150+ games has me satisfied that he's a good bet to stay healthy in '07.

As far as being 4th best over the 2nd half, as Perry pointed out, Reyes produced consistently over the course of the year, which would support the case he'll repeat his #1 production for a SS.

KJ Duke

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by KJ Duke » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:49 pm

3) By the same token I consider it silly to rank Freddy Sanchez at SS when the 2B list was much weaker and thus where you would get more value playing him, so I applaud those of you who left him off for that reason. Actually down where Freddy is, the values are about equal, so you could play him at either position without giving up anything ...

... for the top 10 players at these positions, SS has a clear edge over 2B; for the 11th-15th ranked, SS has a slight advantage and for 16th-20th ranked its about a wash.

Edwards Kings

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:54 am

quote:Originally posted by Captain Hook:

Lizard - he was still the best shortstop and arguably the most valuable fantasy player for the whole season. And his 1st/ 2nd half splits were remarkably even for $ value. funny if he was so good why no team (who got him for a discount last as compared to this coming year) finished in the top 5 overall with reyes on their team. none in the top 10 either.

his 2nd half split was fourth best for SS.
[/QUOTE]How many common players were there in the Top 5?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

King of Queens

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by King of Queens » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:31 pm

Reyes the #3 shortstop?

Pass The Dutchie!

Gordon Gekko

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Gordon Gekko » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:09 am

Reyes was #4 after the break. What's so hard to believe?

Cooperstown

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Cooperstown » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:49 pm

I have Hall, Guillen and Young a little higher in the rankings. Best rookie SS in 2007, Troy Tulowitzki. Biggest bust will be Lugo, followed closely by H Ramirez.

BTW, if you thought Jeter would have the same year he had last year, would you take him ahead of Reyes? I would. Not sure how accurate this is, but I read that last year he only popped up on 1% of his AB's. Could that be right?

King of Queens

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by King of Queens » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:51 pm

Reyes was #4 after the break. What's so hard to believe? How does it feel when you got no food?

Vander

Ranking The Shortstops

Post by Vander » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:09 pm

Took Jeter again tonight. Early second round. I don't think Jeter will repeat those #'s. I don't think Hanley will either. I do still think he's a good pick though. 3rd round. Still like Reyes #1.