Hitting videos/tools for young kids

Blowinmudd

Hitting videos/tools for young kids

Post by Blowinmudd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Ok,I coached've teeball for my son and other kids in the town.I will admit their where so many days I didn't feel like haveing practice.Bad day of work,tired,no pep in the step.I still go because I know the kids love it.By the end of practice I can't believe its over and I want to keep playing.
This year I moved up to coach pitch.Their are so many parents yelling from the side and complaining about their kids not performing.I usually ask them if they want to help keep the kids safe and teach the little guys.I figure they should have some basic knowledge right?I hope.Most say no and would rather stay on the side and yell.I loth that!Others just drop them off at practice and leave.I always tell myself and hope they have more important things to do than watch their kids play.Maybe thats just a me thing.I will say for only coaching and just being ok at it the best part or the coolest thing is running into the kids at the store and they have a huge smile on their face and yell HI COAC BRYAN.That makes it all worth it!

I know their has to be some excoaches or current coaches out their.
I have parents ask about good videos to watch and help their kids hit.They must think I'm some perfesionall coach.If they only knew I played very little ball but love the game.
I always tell them to youtube Tony Gwynn.I just love watching him teach.
Who else should I recommend?
Thanks for any feedback

Cotton1

Re: Hitting videos/tools for young kids

Post by Cotton1 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:18 pm

Buy the team a junior size speed hitter bat. Best hitting aid ever aside from a plain old batting tee. Speedhiiter.com
It's about $80. If they can work this thing correctly that at this age is about as good as it gets. You can go on YouTube as well there are a few videos for it
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:28 pm

I am coaching at the exact same level. The parents can be frustrating to say the least. I usually have a quick talk with all the parents early in the season and explain to them one of the most important things relating to their kid enjoying his first experiences with baseball is having things be organized and safe.. that usually requires some parents getting involved even if only to be a bench coach to make sure the kids are sitting down, paying attention, no swinging a bat around.

I can also say I think it is important to break the kids into groups and have one adult or coach work on basic catching, throwing, hitting (off tee into fence) drills. I have seen many coach pitch leagues where 11 kids are in the field..one is at bat.. and he can't hit.. so the coach throws pitch after pitch as the poor kid flails away... the biggest problem with this is the other 11 kids, who all have almost zero attention span thanks to tablets, video games, mine craft and whatever else, are bored out of their minds and kids often lose interest in baseball because of this... break them into groups and keep them all active, engaged, having fun, etc..

Good luck.. nothing is better than helping a kid to improve at baseball and ultimately get into the sport!

Blowinmudd

Post by Blowinmudd » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks guys,

Im gonna try that speed hitter.I have always seen but never have known anyone that owned one.I love the hit-a-way.My kid gets to use it when I don't.I think it realy smoothed my kids stroke out.He loves it and I think the reps are great.

At practice we have different stations set up and rotate the kids around to keep their interest.We save the hitting for the very end and limit their pitches.Good idea for a few bench coaches while waiting to hit.Thanks again.

I told my wife that I hope we get the enjoyment of the kids playing sports thru high school.I love watching them do their thing.One swims,one does gymnastics,and my little guy plays hockey,baseball,and soccer.I love watching all the kids give 100% even if their favorite part of the game is snacks afterwards.Sometimes it feels I live more out of our cars then our house.On day I probably complain that we have no kids spots to watch.I'm not looking forward to that.Whats a guy to do?Play fantasy baseball?
Thanks again

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:42 pm

A HS coach I see recommends the Billy Ripken videos.

https://www.ripkenbaseball.com/instruct ... KZTVGqvIVA

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:23 pm

My personal opinion is that the speedhitter is a gimmick that offers no value. The old school methods still work best. Soft toss and tee drills. Tee drills to the tune of a couple hundred per day. You can make or buy a loose net backstop, but for young inexperienced hitters I suggest a wide net.

There are plenty of videos out there if you want to go that route, but the issue is that everyone has a different style. Weight distribution/ loading, hand placement, stance width, eye level, follow through, etc. Not good for a young hitter trying to work on mechanics. It's a mental game and only confusion can come from it. I would suggest going with one method to work on with diligent repetition and with experience (years), experiment with other methods. Keep it simple and fun. :mrgreen:

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:30 am

Sorry just trying to help. I only got paid to play baseball, what do I know?
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:26 am

Cotton1 wrote:Sorry just trying to help. I only got paid to play baseball, what do I know?

I like the speed hitter and how it helps to train the release of the hands through impact. As someone who taught golf, there are similar products that work great to train golfers the same sensation. I didn't know there was a youth/junior version.

Blowinmudd

Post by Blowinmudd » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Cotton1 wrote:Buy the team a junior size speed hitter bat. Best hitting aid ever aside from a plain old batting tee. Speedhiiter.com
It's about $80. If they can work this thing correctly that at this age is about as good as it gets. You can go on YouTube as well there are a few videos for it
Cotton,
After watching the vidieos and getting some feedback from people that have this product looks like im sold.A few people told me it works great and gives good feedback on your swing.Its well made and the kids love it.

I noticed their are 3 models.Jr. for 6 an under,youth 7-12,and adult.Shoud I go with the Jr for 7 and 8 yr olds or Youth for a few more dollars and have for a few more years.My only concern is the youth might be a little heavy for them and not work properly.
I also noticed they sell extra baseballs for this.How long do the balls last?Should I buy some extra to start?

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 am

I bought the middle version about a month ago, my son will be nine soon. It is perfect for him size-wise. I am 6'3", it actually isn't too small for me, so my guess is he can use it for several years before he outgrows it. I don't have any idea on the ball usage question, we haven't had it long enough. The single biggest actual "swing fault" kids have is casting the bat, or getting their hands outside the ball which results in a long swing. The speed hitter will fix that if you can get the kids to make it work correctly. Other swing faults are tougher to fix at that age and are too complicated, they don't always have enough body control at that age to do what you are telling them. The natural tendency for a golfer or hitter early on is to cast the bat or a club, this tool helps teach them to hold the angle longer and keep their hands closer to their body thru the swing and extend out front. If your son doesn't have the body control or strength yet don't give up on the speed hitter, one day the light will click on and it will make a huge difference
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"