Most Surprising Pitchers to you?

GetALife

Most Surprising Pitchers to you?

Post by GetALife » Sun May 24, 2015 11:38 am

Good and Bad so Far:
Good: Nick Martinez - knew he was a prospect at one point but WOW. I really think this is for real too. There may be some regression, but I don't think too much.
Bad: Steven Strasburg - I can't see how he would be pitching hurt, but even if he's lost velocity this is surprising.

Bronx Yankees

Re: Most Surprising Pitchers to you?

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun May 24, 2015 4:52 pm

Definitely Strasburg for surprise to the downside. He is single-handedly killing one of my two Main Event teams. I am giving serious consideration to benching him for at least a bit until he turns it around or goes on the DL. This is a decision I never thought I would have to make at the beginning of the season, as I considered Strasburg a plug-and-play pitcher barring injury.

There are lots of good possibilities for surprises to the upside. One guy who has really caught my eye this year is Dallas Kuechel. I thought he was a decent sinkerballer who got a little lucky last year and would regress some. Unfortunately for me, I don't own him anywhere. He really seems to be developing into a hell of a pitcher. Perhaps not an out-of-nowhere shocker, but he's the guy who has really impressed me.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

BEF

Post by BEF » Sun May 24, 2015 5:55 pm

On upside, how about A.J. Burnett? Overall ADP of just over 300, he's now 4-1 with a 1.37 ERA, 1.10 WHIP and 53 K's in 59 IP. Pitches 7 innings almost every time and has yet to give up more than 2 earned runs in any start, which is a pretty impressive stat for a 38 year old arm.

Downside? Alex Wood. 7th round pick, in most cases drafted as a SP2, with a WHIP over 1.5 and barely 6K/9IP. His last start was pretty good, but he seems to have lost the ability to strike anyone out.
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

Top Dawg

Post by Top Dawg » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 pm

No surprise here. First time I drafted Kershaw. 2 wins to date. 4.32 ERA and 1.23 WHIP. Getting a lot of K's at least. Not nearly as unhittable and you would want taking him 5th overall.
OK - So I'm not as good as I thought I was; but at least I am consistent.

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Tue May 26, 2015 12:52 pm

Top Dawg wrote:No surprise here. First time I drafted Kershaw. 2 wins to date. 4.32 ERA and 1.23 WHIP. Getting a lot of K's at least. Not nearly as unhittable and you would want taking him 5th overall.
Thanks to Kershaw I'll never draft a SP in the first round again. I hate myself with the fury of a thousand suns for taking Kershaw over Miggy at 5 in my Tout Wars league. He's starting again tonight and I've already penciled him in for 0 wins.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich