Position Eligibility

viper

Position Eligibility

Post by viper » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:41 pm

I have just finished taking a long look at the rosters in NY#4. I now see what Greg and STATS Inc are doing. There must be at least twenty players whose eligibility is different than what our league was drafted at. Even Edgar is assigned 1B eligibility.

kgrady

Position Eligibility

Post by kgrady » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:02 am

I believe I know why we are seeing this inconsistency in positions with players like Edgar Martinez, Jose Reyes, Willie Harris, etc.. STATS INC.. runs STATS Fantasy Baseball (formerly called Bill James Fantasy Baseball). For drafting purposes in SFB, STATS has decided to slot players in the position they are likely to play the most games in 2004. There is no utility / DH in SFB, so Edgar Martinez has to be listed somewhere. This should not have any impact on the NFBC in terms of position eligibility.

Kevin
"Fear ... that's the other guy's problem!" - Lewis Winthorpe (Dan Akroyd) from Trading Places

viper

Position Eligibility

Post by viper » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:24 am

The is no real impact once things are corrected. The problem is that currently you can have Edgar or Fullmer or Phelps at 1B if required because of an injury to your planned 1B/CI. The STATS site would allow this and consider it a legal lineup. Greg would have to invalidate the lineup and possibly give you a ZERO for all weekly stats - epecially if the mistake was noted after a game was played. People tend to forget what positions a player was eligible for at the draft and use the site's positions as their guide. In this case, that could be an expensive error and one Greg certainly does not want. Plus you cannot allow these guys to gain unwarrented eligibility because draft lists were built, in part, on the eligibility requirements. The problem is solveable but probably time consuming.

Tom Kessenich

Position Eligibility

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:17 am

Originally posted by kgrady:

I believe I know why we are seeing this inconsistency in positions with players like Edgar Martinez, Jose Reyes, Willie Harris, etc.. STATS INC.. runs STATS Fantasy Baseball (formerly called Bill James Fantasy Baseball). For drafting purposes in SFB, STATS has decided to slot players in the position they are likely to play the most games in 2004. There is no utility / DH in SFB, so Edgar Martinez has to be listed somewhere. This should not have any impact on the NFBC in terms of position eligibility.

Kevin Kevin, this is correct. The players are just being slotted into a position, but it will not impact position eligibility. For example, Edgar Martinez only qualifies at the DH/Utility position even though he is listed at 1B.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Greg Ambrosius

Position Eligibility

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:51 am

Have no fear on this one, guys. I will contact STATS immediately and make sure our position eligibility requirements are installed in this game. I'm sure it's a programming deal that will be resolved by Opening Day. For now, we have the rosters entered for every NFBC league, everyone has a legal lineup according to NFBC rules and everyone will have access to change their starting lineups by Monday of next week. Enjoy.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gordon Gekko

Position Eligibility

Post by Gordon Gekko » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:53 am

Originally posted by Greg Ambrosius:

I will contact STATS immediately and make sure our position eligibility requirements are installed in this game. You and your crew are da man!

[ March 26, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Gordon Gekko ]

viper

Position Eligibility

Post by viper » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:37 am

I hate to harp on this issue but I do believe that it could create a problem as early as next week.

Good news is that I was able to adjust my team's lineup. This is very good.

Unfortunately, for every good there is a bad. STATS has set "sort of" legal lineups for all teams. I say "sort of" because in NY#4, Brad Fullmer is an active player occupying the CI spot. If that team fails to make a change, I suppose they would have an illegal lineup and recieve no points in any category until this is fixed.

I have read the posts that eligibility will be corrected over the weekend and I will feel much better when every player's eligibility is accurate.

In the case of the team with Fullmer, since they have their 6th OF in the UTIL slot and they do not have a 1B/OF in their active OF, they will have to bench someone and move Tino into the CI slot. This is obviously not an isolated case.

I commish several leagues and things like this are always on my mind.

Jim Pollard

Position Eligibility

Post by Jim Pollard » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:01 am

after we reworked the eligibility this afternoon, i got a quick list of teams that were fielding players at an ineligible position. every team that was in that list (and hadn't made transactions on their own, i didn't want to reverse them) was given a new default lineup that will make them legal.

at some point prior to the games on Tuesday we will be doing the same for the other 18 teams that had made transactions on their own, if they haven't fixed their problem themselves in the meantime.

LB Big Richards

Position Eligibility

Post by LB Big Richards » Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:06 am

I still see a problem with Ramon Castro. He's showing eligible for C. Greg clearly stated that he will initially only qualify at U. Just trying to avoid any problems.

Hojin

Greg Ambrosius

Position Eligibility

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:36 am

Jim will be fixing that this morning. In fact, he questioned why I won't allow Castro at catcher!!! As I told Jim, our ruling showed that he was on the Marlins' roster all year, he caught 18 games and pinch-hit in 27 games and thus was nothing more than a Utility player. That's where he qualifies to start the year. He will be making that change and the change on Darryl Ward today.

We're getting there folks. Just be patient and all of this will be up to speed before Tuesday's opener.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius