Let's talk about Don Warner

low talkers

Let's talk about Don Warner

Post by low talkers » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:03 am

I know Greg and Tom had their hands full with the start of football season, so I thought somebody should start a Who’s Leading The NFBC thread. The reason I wanted to post this is because it’s Don Warner who is still leading the Main Event Overall. I just glanced at his team and see a few guys who are having decent second halves; Clayton Kershaw, Jake Arrieta, Yoenis Cespedes, Josh Donaldson.
I don’t know how many of you know Don, he comes to Vegas every year and very quietly goes about his business. Don is quite possibly my favorite person there every year. When we get the KDS draft order, it is always a lucky draw if you get to sit next to Don, he is as friendly as they come. He’s a little bit of a low talker, and I can sure appreciate that. He is also a very sharp dresser.
Seriously, congrats on a great showing so far in the Main Event to Don, and to Glenn Schroter who is right behind him. Good luck down the stretch guys!

King of Queens

Re: Let's talk about Don Warner

Post by King of Queens » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:23 am

Amazing season! No matter how the next two weeks shake out 8-) I'm looking forward to shaking his hand next March in Vegas.

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Thank you Dave and Glenn for your kind comments. I guess I am a "low talker" out of absolute respect for all the players in the NFBC who are so devoted to this game. I am so aware of the great commitment it takes to even be competitive at this level. Fantasy baseball allows all of us to participate so intimately in the greatest game of all--baseball. What a treat!! I will look forward to formally getting to know you,Glenn, and Dave? What can I say...I just want to sit next to you in every draft hoping the $1 million "fantasy dust" will blow my way. It is always a pleasure drafting with you despite you never making it easy on the rest of us. Good luck to all the rest of the way...even Glenn--although you have not had a bad day in a month, have you?

RobG

Post by RobG » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:04 pm

Dave, thanks for starting this thread. With all due respect to everyone else, I am rooting for Don to win this thing. Don is easily the classiest person in Vegas each March and someone I know I will look forward to sharing a cocktail with and just talking baseball.

Go get 'em Donnie Baseball!
Rob Giese

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:00 pm

Thanks Rob. It is always a pleasure to talk baseball with you. I always appreciate the connection we made in Vegas a few years ago. Always fun. I was thinking more like doing dinner at LeCirque with a bottle of fine burgundy:).

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:18 am

This is a great post Dave and no I haven't lost sight of our baseball standings even through all of this football work. In fact, a couple of weeks ago my brother Mike was home and we were having drinks outside a bar along the Fox River in Green Bay and we called Don to let him know we were proud of his first place standing. He got a kick out of that as he always talks with Mike, a fellow Minnesotan, at the live drafts in Las Vegas.

Mike asked Don why he always wears a nice sweater to the drafts at the Bellagio. Don said it's not for looks: IT'S TOO DAMN COLD IN THOSE BALLROOMS!! :lol: We had a good laugh and told him that he will be able to afford a few more sweaters if he keeps up his current pace. He said the money wouldn't be spent on clothing, it would be on something more pleasurable!! We agreed.

But there's a lot of season left. Good luck to everyone the rest of the way and yes I'll be watching.

Dave, we need to tell Don and Glenn and everyone else here that the official start of the next baseball season is at the Arizona Fall League Symposium in early November. That's where we really kick off the next season, right? I'm booking my flight and hotel in the next week. Can't wait!! See ya there.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:07 pm

Did any of you know that the Ambrosius brothers were such fashion conscious guys? I would never have guessed-smile.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:31 pm

Donnie Baseball wrote:Did any of you know that the Ambrosius brothers were such fashion conscious guys? I would never have guessed-smile.
Everything we wear is Green & Gold!! You should know that by now Don!! 8-)
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Donnie Baseball

Post by Donnie Baseball » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:16 pm

Must be for the Oakland A's...

Rog

Post by Rog » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:39 pm

I had the opportunity to talk with Don before and after 1 of my drafts . What a class act and sharp dresser. It was nice chatting with him about the Nfbc and the teams that were drafted and our thoughts on them. It was nice to put a face with a draft champions team name. The pleasure was all mine and looking forward to doing it again next year.

RobG

Post by RobG » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Donnie Baseball wrote:Thanks Rob. It is always a pleasure to talk baseball with you. I always appreciate the connection we made in Vegas a few years ago. Always fun. I was thinking more like doing dinner at LeCirque with a bottle of fine burgundy:).
Deal! I will pack a sweater.
Rob Giese