The Ball

DOUGHBOYS

The Ball

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:26 am

When we start studying for the upcoming year, our wives start realizing that this is a full time hobby.
My wife is a sweetheart. She lets me get away with a lot more than I should.
It is now normal for us to watch tv at night with a lap top on my leg.
That lap top has two drafts that are now running and several fantasy and stats sites that I can glean information from.
During the season, the lap top is still there in tracking games being played.
We are beyond the, "You pay more attention to that computer than me!" stage.
Really, I don't whether it is because she has come to grips that it's probably true or because it has become the norm.

Back in the late 1800's, a newspaper ran a question directed at female readers.
The question was something like this, 'What one thing do you wish had not been invented for your man?'
The overwhelming response to the question was...the ball.
In the late 1800's, women felt that the ball was distracting their men. Keeping them away from the most important thing in life, their work.
Most not realizing, that men need distractions from work.

Fantasy sports showcases just about everything that most women do not like.
Balls
Sports
Distraction
Money spent for 'silliness'
And a lot of, 'Huh's? or 'What's' when asking us a question.

Some friends of mine have gotten divorced.
Fantasy sports was not the main reason for the separation, but certainly contributed.
We walk a thin line.
We want to be the best we can be at our hobby. At the same time, we must at least give the sense to family and friends that we are not held captive by our own hobby.

During the season, my wife made plans to get me away from the computer for the night and go out to dinner with friends.
When arriving at the restaurant, the first thing noticed was a lone tv in the corner, tuned to a soccer game.
My wife said, "Oh good, you won't be staring at the tv while we're eating and talking."
Wrong.
The soccer game had a bottom line with all the baseball info needed. I just had to not get 'caught' watching too much 'soccer'.
I think I pulled it off. At least I wasn't scolded for watching tv more than talking.

Our hobby is tough for the family.
We can't just pull out some folders like stamp or coin collectors.
We study and draft for six months. We manage our teams the other six months.
Missing an injury or even a lineup change is grounds for mental suicide.
Our hobby has gone from a part time fascination to a full time passion.
Those poor ladies from the 1800's knew what they were talking about.
Two centuries later, we are still distracted.
The ball still has a hold on us.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

EA Sports

Re: The Ball

Post by EA Sports » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 am

The struggle is real. I "moved" my 10 year anniversary this Thursday, to Friday, to not interfere with the NLCS. Now I am just hoping that we have a game 5. The wife once asked me if my baseball game was in the fourth quarter yet....so she might be rooting for a sweep.
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win" - Bobby Knight

Yah Mule

Re: The Ball

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:53 pm

I'm reminded of this anecdote about Andy Van Slyke.

The Pittsburgh Pirate centerfielder was once asked if there was anyone in the world with whom he would trade places for a day. ''My wife,'' he said. ''So I could see how wonderful it is to live with me.''

http://www.si.com/vault/1992/09/21/1271 ... ting-crown

Sometimes, I'm amazed at how indulgent my wife is of my most time consuming hobby, although starting a 2016 draft in mid October definitely takes things to a new level.

:lol: