Optimal Scoring League Coming To NFBC In 2016

Greg Ambrosius

Optimal Scoring League Coming To NFBC In 2016

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:40 am

One of the things we know our folks love to do during the off-season IS DRAFT!! Everyone loves to draft players and most of you would do it every day if you could avoid managing all of those rosters during the season. We understand the time that running multiple teams takes during the season.

So we've been trying to come up with a contest that allows people to draft more often while easily managing their rosters during the season. In football we've come up with the perfect formula in our NFFC Draft Champions National Championship. In that contest, people draft their teams and then the computer picks their optimal scoring lineup each week for 16 weeks. The team with the most points after Week 16 wins the league title and of course the overall title.

Draft and be done. And yet you still have that in-season joy of watching live scoring every week and cheering for every one of your players to do well every week.

We've wanted to duplicate that experience in baseball for years now, but we just weren't sure how to do it. Now we've figured it out.

To do this in baseball you have to go away from Rotisserie-style scoring and use a points-style scoring system. And with DFS being so popular these days, it's obvious that folks can easily transition their rankings to this system. So we tested out our scoring system in the NFBC Post-Season Contest and it's worked very well. We will use that in our debut NFBC Cutline Championship contest starting in 2016. Here's the scoring format:

For Hitters
1B = 1 point
2B = 2 points
3B = 3 points
HR = 4 points
RBI = 1 point
R = 1 point
BB = 1 point
SB = 2 points
HBP = 1 point
Out (calculated as at bats - hits) = -.25pt

For Pitchers
W = 4 points
Save = 4 points
ER = -1 point
SO = 1 point
IP = 1 point; 0.34 point per 1/3rd inning*

*1 IP = 1.02 points (.34 + .34 + .34 = 1.02)

It's similar to DFS and I think our guys are seeing how it works well in the Post-Season Contest. There's a lot to cheer for.

But the key is making a roster like this manageable and here's how we're going to do this:

1. Quick Drafts: These are going to be 10-team leagues, 30 rounds at 65 seconds per pick. These should get done in less than 2 1/2 hours. In football, our Cutlines are 10 teams, 26 rounds and they got done in under 2 hours. They usually lasted between 1:45 and 2:15, sometimes even getting done in 1:30. At 30 rounds these should be nightly drafts that take less than two and a half hours.

2. No Set Lineups: You never have to set your starting lineup. NEVER. The computer will pick your optimal scoring lineup each week. We will still have Live Scoring with standings reflecting your optimal scoring lineup at that time, but scores will total from Monday-Sunday each week and keep your running total that way.

3. Only 4 FAAB Periods: We are drafting only 30 players, but we'll have four FAAB periods during the season in which you can improve and expand your roster, including one before Week 1 is final. That's right, in this contest we'll expand your roster from 30 to 35 players via FAAB before the start of the season, and then you'll expand to 40 players before May 1, 45 players before early June and then improve that 45 man roster one last time in July. There are no moves after the All-Star break as your Championship Round roster is set for all post-season rounds and you just watch the optimal scoring lineups each week and hope for the best.

We are still working on the FAAB deadline, but we won't have it on Sunday if possible to ease your work load. Even with only four FAAB periods, we'll try to move it to another date.

4. Low Price/Good Prizes: Cost will be $125 per team just like football with the league champ earning $250 by the All-Star break. Top 2 teams advance to the Championship Round and 3 more teams jump to the Wild Card Round. There are 3-week elimination rounds after that until we have 20 teams left in the Championship Round in September and 20 teams left in the Wild Card Round. Oh, and Wild Card teams can jump back into the Championship Round during these playoffs, just like we have it in football. All 20 Championship Round teams earn cash prizes, while 5 of the Top 20 Wild Card teams earn prize money.

We hope to run nightly drafts starting in December if demand is there and will have over $100,000 in playoff prizes, including a $40,000 grand prize. We expect those prizes to grow through the years as this format becomes more familiar to fantasy players. And our big hope is that it brings more first-time players to the NFBC as this is as easy of a format to play as any out there. If you like to draft, like to watch your players do well, like to manage your team a little bit, but don't have the time for full FAAB and Set Lineups, then this contest is for you. And there's a nice prize pool waiting for you as well.

So here's what we're offering in the 2016 NFBC Cutline Championship:

Quick Drafts Every Night
Optimal Scoring System
No Set Lineups
Only 4 FAAB Periods
Points System Scoring
Unique Championship Format
Season Done by mid-September

There's a lot of positives there. Look for full Rules and Prizes coming soon as the NFBC Cutline Championship will definitely make its debut in 2016. We're excited about this format and hope this fits everyone's liking as well. Enjoy and we look forward to your feedback once we finalize everything.

Oh, and by the way, we will be posting all of the Rules and prizes for all of our contests soon as the web site is progressing well. Draft season is right around the corner folks, so be ready. We're almost there. :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Re: Optimal Scoring League Coming To NFBC In 2016

Post by ToddZ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 am

So you're telling me I can draft and not manage the team except for a couple of FAAB periods? Sign me up, and up, and up.

I even know of a web site that will have projections including the projected points according to this scoring system. Plus, rumor has it there will be a promotion where you can get a FREE subscription. (sort of).

I'll update my signature here and provide a link when more details are available.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:37 am

Probably too much too soon....
But could we also play this in the DC 50 Round format?
Teams without thoughts of lineups or FAAB sound darned appealing to me....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:42 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Probably too much too soon....
But could we also play this in the DC 50 Round format?
Teams without thoughts of lineups or FAAB sound darned appealing to me....
No, the DC is a different animal. That's a 50-man farm system that you've drafted and now must manage correctly. You're drafting minor-leaguers who could win the title for you at the end of the year. You're making decisions like a GM throughout the draft and then working it hard during the season like a manager.

The Cutline Championship is drafting the 30 best players who can score the most points for you in Week 1 and beyond. Then you need to add depth in FAAB and cover for injuries because you need active bodies in your lineup at all times. But it's a different animal because minor-leaguers mean very little to you here when the regular season ends at the All-Star break.

Really different animals here, and it's by design!! :lol:

But both are cool. That's the intention. Enjoy all.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:35 pm

Will the roster position requirement be the same as standard - 2 catcher, etc.?
The programming will be able to accommodate the multi-position guys for optimum scoring?
Without looking at it real closely....seems a little light on the roster size to carry multiple weeks without FAAB? I suppose everyone is in the same boat but I could see some zeros for multiple weeks.

Very interesting!

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:39 pm

Minimum 35 players as there are no drops

"That's right, in this contest we'll expand your roster from 30 to 35 players via FAAB before the start of the season, and then you'll expand to 40 players before May 1, 45 players before early June and then improve that 45 man roster one last time in July."

Subscribe HERE

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:46 pm

ToddZ wrote:Minimum 35 players as there are no drops

"That's right, in this contest we'll expand your roster from 30 to 35 players via FAAB before the start of the season, and then you'll expand to 40 players before May 1, 45 players before early June and then improve that 45 man roster one last time in July."
No drops? So.....draft 30 rounds in December for a 23 man required roster and then add 5 more players prior to the first week? It will turn out to be a game of health rather than talent I think. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Quite a bit different than a football cutline or even a football DC because of the roster requirements unless you are going to fewer positions and more "flex / utility" spots.

rynostreet

Post by rynostreet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:06 pm

JohnP wrote:

No drops? So.....draft 30 rounds in December for a 23 man required roster and then add 5 more players prior to the first week? It will turn out to be a game of health rather than talent I think. Maybe I am looking at it wrong. Quite a bit different than a football cutline or even a football DC because of the roster requirements unless you are going to fewer positions and more "flex / utility" spots.
My understanding is you can cut players in each FAAB period, but must have enough FAAB to meet the 35,40 and 45 man roster when you are done. So in first FAAB period you could add 12 players, cut 7 and still arrive at the 35 man cap.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:07 pm

I like optimal scoring, but DFS-style scoring does not appeal to me. Doubtful I'll do any of these.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:13 pm

To be honest -- not sure about drop. The rules don't appear to be clear on it either.

Subscribe HERE

Happenstance

Post by Happenstance » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:20 pm

I don't know how you would do optimal scoring using traditional roto scoring. How can the system decide on a weekly basis whether a 3-30 performance with 3 HR is better than a 10-30 performance with no HR? I suppose it's reasonable in a static environment (i.e., assuming the other league members don't change their lineup), but dynamically it would seem to be very tricky.

I respect the decision that it won't be coming to the 50-player draft champion format, but I'd be much more inclined to try a team or two if it were. My biggest limiting factor in how many teams I'll play in 2016 is FAAB time rather than actual dollar outlay. For me, 4 FAAB periods isn't bad, but zero is much better.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:25 pm

Happenstance wrote:I don't know how you would do optimal scoring using traditional roto scoring. How can the system decide on a weekly basis whether a 3-30 performance with 3 HR is better than a 10-30 performance with no HR? I suppose it's reasonable in a static environment (i.e., assuming the other league members don't change their lineup), but dynamically it would seem to be very tricky.

I respect the decision that it won't be coming to the 50-player draft champion format, but I'd be much more inclined to try a team or two if it were. My biggest limiting factor in how many teams I'll play in 2016 is FAAB time rather than actual dollar outlay. For me, 4 FAAB periods isn't bad, but zero is much better.
(Not trying to step on your toes Greg -- that would probably hurt your hoops game)

This isn't the issue. We originally concocted a points-based system that correlated pretty well with 5x5 rankings. When that was announced as the scoring for the playoff contest, the feedback was to use more of a DFS-based points system.

I'm ambivalent. Tell me what it is and I'll adjust accordingly.

Subscribe HERE

rynostreet

Post by rynostreet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:52 pm

ToddZ wrote:To be honest -- not sure about drop. The rules don't appear to be clear on it either.

My recollection of the drop process is related to the threads from last year, but I do remember drops being a part of FAAB. The FAAB alone in this format, especially if factoring in drops, will be worth the price of admission for me.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:28 pm

JohnP wrote:Will the roster position requirement be the same as standard - 2 catcher, etc.?
The programming will be able to accommodate the multi-position guys for optimum scoring?
Without looking at it real closely....seems a little light on the roster size to carry multiple weeks without FAAB? I suppose everyone is in the same boat but I could see some zeros for multiple weeks.

Very interesting!
Geez, I leave for a few hours and you create a hornet's nest Champ!! :o But good questions.

You can make as many FAAB pickups and cuts as you want in FAAB 1, FAAB 2, FAAB 3 and FAAB 4. But you also get 5 pickups without any cuts. So in FAAB 1, cut 5 guys and pick up 10 guys. In FAAB 2, cut 4 guys and pick up 9 guys, etc. Sound good? For the first month of the season you will have 35 roster spots, from May 1 you'll have 40 players on your roster and before June 1st you'll have 45 players on your roster. Again, you can cut as many players as you want each FAAB period; it's just that you can pick up 5 additional players without cutting anyone.

I had thought about making the draft 35 rounds and then adding 5 players in each of the first 3 FAABs, but that would take drafts into the 3 hour area and I chose not to go that route. But that was an option.

Yes, that's the hard part right now in the programming of this concept. We have to make sure it reads all multiple position players and puts them in the right spots. Now that is already being done in football with the Flex spot taking top scorer from WR, RB and TE, so we can do it for baseball as well. But it's a good question and one we have to program thoroughly. It's not finished yet.

The zeroes could happen in April with 35 roster spots. That's 12 reserves. That's why I'm saying it's very tough to pick minor-leaguers or players who don't start on the MLB roster. But if you draft in December and there are injuries before April 4, you can make as many pickups and cuts as needed to get a strong 35-man roster. Again, remember, there are only 300 players being drafted so the free agent pool is going to be pretty damn deep for everyone. And after the first FAAB, only 350 players will be out of the player pool, leaving even more good players later on.

Hope that helps and sorry I wasn't here right away to answer these good questions.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:33 pm

There DEFINITELY are drops in the NFBC Cutline Championship. You can cut as many players as you'd like. The key here is that during the first three FAAB periods, you get 5 additional pickups without cutting anyone. But certainly you can cut anyone you want and replace that player with a free agent.

You have to manage your FAAB budget a little differently here because you will have so many free agent pickups. I mean, at minimum you are picking up 15 new players and then adding better players and cutting others. So you'll need money to spread around.

If someone fails to get additional players in the first FAAB, for instance, and leaves with only 33 players that's what they'll have until the second FAAB period. At that time they will have a chance to expand their roster to 40 players with 7 pickups and no cuts, plus any additional moves they'd like to make. We'll expand the roster size during each FAAB, but it's up to each of you to correctly fill them up. Use the Conditional Bids option for every bid and load up a lot of players.

Hope this better explains the process.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:34 pm

rynostreet wrote:My understanding is you can cut players in each FAAB period, but must have enough FAAB to meet the 35,40 and 45 man roster when you are done. So in first FAAB period you could add 12 players, cut 7 and still arrive at the 35 man cap.
Ding, ding, ding. WINNER!! You've got it now. Good job. :D
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:39 pm

Happenstance wrote:I don't know how you would do optimal scoring using traditional roto scoring. How can the system decide on a weekly basis whether a 3-30 performance with 3 HR is better than a 10-30 performance with no HR? I suppose it's reasonable in a static environment (i.e., assuming the other league members don't change their lineup), but dynamically it would seem to be very tricky.

I respect KJ's opinion, but you are correct here that the computer would not know if Billy Hamilton's 6 SBs and .091 average was better than Joey Gallo's 4 HRs and .200 average. It just doesn't work with Roto category scoring.

No problem on this opinion, but again the idea isn't to have DC Express Drafts every night of the week, 4 1/2 hours a night. It's to have 2 hour drafts where people learn the player pool, draft great teams, don't mess with them for a few months or weeks and then make four moves the rest of the year. It's a complicated sport with a longer season and at the very least we need 4 FAAB pickup periods to discard our players who are out for the year with prospects who are now stars in the league. Hope that helps.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:38 pm

Greg - Does the optimal scoring get run on a daily basis or weekly basis? I think it would make a difference in a team's score, as well as potential drafting strategies.

For instance, there may be a platoon player that mashes lefties. He typically starts 2-3 days per week, but is a good hitter. If the optimal scoring is run every day, then he may score enough points to count on most days he starts. On the other hand, if the optimal scoring is run weekly, then he may not score enough points to ever count, and you are better off drafting a player that starts more regularly, even if you think he's a weaker hitter.

I think the answer to the question also could impact how you would draft starting pitchers v. relief pitchers.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:53 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:Greg - Does the optimal scoring get run on a daily basis or weekly basis? I think it would make a difference in a team's score, as well as potential drafting strategies.

For instance, there may be a platoon player that mashes lefties. He typically starts 2-3 days per week, but is a good hitter. If the optimal scoring is run every day, then he may score enough points to count on most days he starts. On the other hand, if the optimal scoring is run weekly, then he may not score enough points to ever count, and you are better off drafting a player that starts more regularly, even if you think he's a weaker hitter.

I think the answer to the question also could impact how you would draft starting pitchers v. relief pitchers.

Thanks in advance for clarifying.

Mike
Scoring will be run on a weekly basis: Monday through Sunday are the scoring periods just like in our season long games.

However, as I mentioned above we'll have live scoring and live standings that will give you a snapshot of everyone's best scores at that moment. But scores will finalize on Sunday night and then we move on to the next week.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:56 pm

sounds interesting Greg. i will consider

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:57 pm

how many teams are u basing the prize pool on?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Gekko wrote:how many teams are u basing the prize pool on?
140 leagues, 1,400 teams.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:... but you are correct here that the computer would not know if Billy Hamilton's 6 SBs and .091 average was better than Joey Gallo's 4 HRs and .200 average. It just doesn't work with Roto category scoring.
I was referring to the scoring setup that Zola and I worked out last year which approximated the value of that in a 5x5 league (the original scoring setup for the cutline that didnt happen). The computer could definitely figure that out as it is all points-based. That had a much greater appeal to me as I wouldn't need a second set of projections/ranking. DFS scoring just doesn't appeal to me, but maybe it will bring enough DFS-type players in to offset guys like myself that don't like it.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:33 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:... but you are correct here that the computer would not know if Billy Hamilton's 6 SBs and .091 average was better than Joey Gallo's 4 HRs and .200 average. It just doesn't work with Roto category scoring.
I was referring to the scoring setup that Zola and I worked out last year which approximated the value of that in a 5x5 league (the original scoring setup for the cutline that didnt happen). The computer could definitely figure that out as it is all points-based. That had a much greater appeal to me as I wouldn't need a second set of projections/ranking. DFS scoring just doesn't appeal to me, but maybe it will bring enough DFS-type players in to offset guys like myself that don't like it.
Nobody wants to use some screwy points system. If using points, they want to use a system that makes some sense. You cannot possibly replicate roto into points. It is not going to work. It is not roto. It is a points game. Therefore a scoring system that makes sense should be used. It is quite possible I will be playing fantasy baseball after all. This sounds kind of fun. No lineups, little faab. Sounds pretty good to me.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:04 pm

Cocktails and Dreams wrote:Nobody wants to use some screwy points system. If using points, they want to use a system that makes some sense. You cannot possibly replicate roto into points. It is not going to work. It is not roto. It is a points game. Therefore a scoring system that makes sense should be used. It is quite possible I will be playing fantasy baseball after all. This sounds kind of fun. No lineups, little faab. Sounds pretty good to me.

DFS is a screwy points system which I don't want to use, so we agree on that. The NFBC is a roto site and always has been, so to me sensible would've been using a roto-style scoring system. If you and other DFS'ers can't understand it maybe the new game flourish with a dumbed-down scoring system, but it's not for me. BA and WHIP become irrelevant - there goes 20% of the game. It's all about volume.