The Loss of a Friend

DOUGHBOYS

The Loss of a Friend

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:13 pm

All of us have friends we have never met. Just on this Message Board alone, you probably have a friend never met.
If not here, than surely in a draft or somewhere else online.
And it doesn't stop there. Most of us have hundreds of friends not known.
I lost such a friend.

Even though he didn't know me, he was always there for me.
Always said the right things at the right times. And always in a voice that was soothing and enjoyable.
When losing a friend not known, it is easier than a 'real' friend or family member.
Still, the sense of loss remains. The sadness there.
Glenn Frey was the leader of one of my favorite bands.

When losing a family member, we use pictures to remind us of their memory.
We'll remember Glenn Frey when we turn on the radio or another device.
In that way, we're lucky.
We get to hear what he did best.
Almost as if he never left.
But, he has.
We'll miss you, Glenn Frey.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Teufel Hunden

Re: The Loss of a Friend

Post by Teufel Hunden » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:42 pm

Eagles fans that have not seen the 2013 "History of the Eagles" documentary make a point of checking it out. Amazing amount of talent in one group that certainly left a lasting impression on millions of fans.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:52 pm

Teufel Hunden wrote:Eagles fans that have not seen the 2013 "History of the Eagles" documentary make a point of checking it out. Amazing amount of talent in one group that certainly left a lasting impression on millions of fans.
I watched it on Netflix. Bernie Leadon looks like a bouncer - looks nothing he did when he was with the Eagles!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 am

Got to see the Eagles in 2012 at the Verizon Amphitheater. Man, what a show. First saw them/him on the Hotel California Tour in Savannah (smallest venue they did) on July 1, 1977 (yes, I had to look it up).

Frey is going to be missed.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

uky

Post by uky » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:12 am

Saw the Eagles a couple years ago in Nashville. Great, Great show. They played for almost three hours with one fifteen minute break. Late in the concert when you'd think you'd heard all their hits, they'd play another one. It was super great.

A couple years ago, wife and I decided to go to see a few of the oldies from our past, just to rejuvenate our youth, I guess. I hadn't been to a concert since the '70's and realize they're all a little older than me. So far, we've seen Chicago in Evansville, The Eagles in Nashville, Billy Joel in Sunrise, Fl and The Stones at Arrowhead in KC. Chicago was good, but BJoel and the Stones are to die for.

Next, and probably last, on the agenda..."The Boss" at the Yum Center in Louisville Feb. 21st.
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:13 am

FYI, last night in Chicago, in tribute to Glenn Frey, Bruce Springsteen started his encores with an acoustic version of Take It Easy. (He also started his encores on Saturday night in Pittsburgh with Rebel Rebel as a tribute to David Bowie.) Well worth locating on Youtube. Definitely know how you feel, Dan - very sad to see these rock icons passing away. While I have never met Springsteen (although I have been in the same building with him an almost-embarrassingly-high number of times), I confess I'd be absolutely crushed if anything were to happen to him. His songs are the soundtrack of my youth and my adult life.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:14 am

uky wrote:Next, and probably last, on the agenda..."The Boss" at the Yum Center in Louisville Feb. 21st.
You will have a great time. If you have never seen him before (or even if you have), you are in for a treat.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:36 am

Bronx Yankees wrote:FYI, last night in Chicago, in tribute to Glenn Frey, Bruce Springsteen started his encores with an acoustic version of Take It Easy. (He also started his encores on Saturday night in Pittsburgh with Rebel Rebel as a tribute to David Bowie.) Well worth locating on Youtube. Definitely know how you feel, Dan - very sad to see these rock icons passing away. While I have never met Springsteen (although I have been in the same building with him an almost-embarrassingly-high number of times), I confess I'd be absolutely crushed if anything were to happen to him. His songs are the soundtrack of my youth and my adult life.

Mike
I was at the Springsteen concert last night in Chicago. I'm not even really an Eagles fan, but the acoustic version of Take it Easy was really great. Everybody was singing along.

It wasn't even an encore - Springsteen played for 3 hours and 20 minutes straight with no break. That's pretty impressive at age 66.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1