Do not draft with list?

Hollenole

Do not draft with list?

Post by Hollenole » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:02 am

I think I remember last year there being a do not draft with list on the board. I wanted to start one to hopefully save others from having to deal with what we are dealing with in our current DC league. There was also one in my first draft this year that always took several hours to make every pick. The guy in our league drafting now will pop in and out while he is on the clock and still not make his pick. When anyone says something to them the response is STFU. Anyways it kills the fun of these things for me when you wait around all day to make 1 or 2 picks because one guy thinks 8 hour limit means he should take all 8 hours for every pick. So I am starting the list here to hopefully help myself and others avoid signing up for drafts these guys are in.
DO NOT draft with:
Michael Fonte

BK METS

Re: Do not draft with list?

Post by BK METS » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:08 am

This happens every year about twice per year. Honestly I can understand your frustration because going through it myself several times, it is aggravating.

First things first though. Have you contacted Greg to see if he can make a call and see if he can push him along? A lot of times this is all that is needed.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 am

Hollenole wrote:I think I remember last year there being a do not draft with list on the board. I wanted to start one to hopefully save others from having to deal with what we are dealing with in our current DC league. There was also one in my first draft this year that always took several hours to make every pick. The guy in our league drafting now will pop in and out while he is on the clock and still not make his pick. When anyone says something to them the response is STFU. Anyways it kills the fun of these things for me when you wait around all day to make 1 or 2 picks because one guy thinks 8 hour limit means he should take all 8 hours for every pick. So I am starting the list here to hopefully help myself and others avoid signing up for drafts these guys are in.
DO NOT draft with:
Michael Fonte
It's easier if you just contact me and I contact this owner. In fact, Pete has asked each of you to contact me and now I'm getting loads of emails from this one league. Michael is new to the NFBC and this is his second slow draft, so let me reach out to him and ask for help. You guys are in Round 16 in the 6th day, and while I know you could be farther along if Michael wasn't taking his full time, this league is moving along nicely. I will contact Michael and ask him to help move this along even further.

We can flog slow owners in public or we can reach out to them and explain the situation. Again, several other owners in your league asked me to contact him rather than flog him on the boards. I'll try that first.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 am

Noone was rude to the guy. Everyone has been polite to him and his response to "I see a lot of green dots, lets get this thing rolling" is STFU. Flogging him on the boards isn't the intent. The intent is to give others on here the choice to avoid him in future drafts. I know if it wasn't a crapshoot I would run into guys like this in every draft I would play more DC leagues.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:25 am

Hollenole wrote:Noone was rude to the guy. Everyone has been polite to him and his response to "I see a lot of green dots, lets get this thing rolling" is STFU. Flogging him on the boards isn't the intent. The intent is to give others on here the choice to avoid him in future drafts. I know if it wasn't a crapshoot I would run into guys like this in every draft I would play more DC leagues.
And again, the first thing you can do is email me so that I can contact him, call him and explain the situation better than you guys have. You guys are in Round 17 now in 6 days of drafting. Now can it be even better? Yes, and I've explained what he can do to help. He could easily agree and keep this moving along nicely and fit in with everyone just fine. And yet this flogging post is out there forever now. Give me and Tom a chance to reach out to new members and explain the situation when it goes bad within the league message board and if he chooses to still ignore our pleas then feel free to start your Do Not Draft List. But I think we missed the opportunity to talk with him first.

Again, we post all of the names for a reason: To give you folks a chance to know who you are drafting with in these DCs. We understand the concerns. But sometimes with new owners they need to hear from us when things go bad, rather than do what just happened here. Hopefully we can turn his and your experience positive with a little talk.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:28 am

10-4 my apologies Greg.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Hollenole wrote:Noone was rude to the guy. Everyone has been polite to him and his response to "I see a lot of green dots, lets get this thing rolling" is STFU. Flogging him on the boards isn't the intent. The intent is to give others on here the choice to avoid him in future drafts. I know if it wasn't a crapshoot I would run into guys like this in every draft I would play more DC leagues.
And again, the first thing you can do is email me so that I can contact him, call him and explain the situation better than you guys have. You guys are in Round 17 now in 6 days of drafting. Now can it be even better? Yes, and I've explained what he can do to help. He could easily agree and keep this moving along nicely and fit in with everyone just fine. And yet this flogging post is out there forever now. Give me and Tom a chance to reach out to new members and explain the situation when it goes bad within the league message board and if he chooses to still ignore our pleas then feel free to start your Do Not Draft List. But I think we missed the opportunity to talk with him first.

Again, we post all of the names for a reason: To give you folks a chance to know who you are drafting with in these DCs. We understand the concerns. But sometimes with new owners they need to hear from us when things go bad, rather than do what just happened here. Hopefully we can turn his and your experience positive with a little talk.
Sorry, but I completely disagree. And although I'm not in this draft (thank god), for the most part, everyone is polite and courteous and understands that life/work can get in the way and delay things. And in my experience, most people are respectful of that and not too pushy. And as was stated, no one was being rude to the guy, just excited to draft. But when a guy responds to a let's-rally-the-troops "it's green lights, let's roll" excitement with a STFU, THAT is exactly the type of guy who needs to be publicly flogged and not talked to as if there is some sort of misunderstanding here. It is intentional, his words belie his intent, he knows it is pissing off others, he is going into the draft room and then leaving without picking, and then responds with a STFU and pulls the victim card like he is the victim of some sort bullying while he intentionally holds the rest of the draft hostage. Please. Seen these guys all the time and they do suck the fun out of it for the other 14 courteous and respectful drafters. This has nothing to do with being new or "not understanding", this is someone who is intentionally being an a**hole and doesn't deserve to be shown the respect that he clearly fails to show others. You want to know why everyone is gravitating toward the fast-slows run by MtM, Doughboys, KJ etc.? It's to avoid guys like this.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:28 pm

I'm not going to say anyone in our current draft is bad to draft with, but I'm not sure everyone would have agreed to be in a group with some managers in the pacific time zone while at least one other manager is overseas. The signup list shows Pennsylvania for the manager who is in England.

I'm fine with anyone anywhere being in a DC but several other managers are expressing displeasure with a lack of flow.

Just remember guys that those who want a really slow draft have no options for anything slower than 8 hours so they're already where they belong. Until STATS comes out with a 12 or 16 hour league they're stuck. I doubt newbies want to be thought of as jerks even if that's how you perceive them.

If the thought of a 4 hour clock, which Greg has suggested before for those unhappy with the flow, gives you anxiety because you might miss your pick while sleeping I guess you'll have to go with the Fast/Slow style or the DC Express.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:58 pm

COZ wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:

Sorry, but I completely disagree. And although I'm not in this draft (thank god), for the most part, everyone is polite and courteous and understands that life/work can get in the way and delay things. And in my experience, most people are respectful of that and not too pushy. And as was stated, no one was being rude to the guy, just excited to draft. But when a guy responds to a let's-rally-the-troops "it's green lights, let's roll" excitement with a STFU, THAT is exactly the type of guy who needs to be publicly flogged and not talked to as if there is some sort of misunderstanding here. It is intentional, his words belie his intent, he knows it is pissing off others, he is going into the draft room and then leaving without picking, and then responds with a STFU and pulls the victim card like he is the victim of some sort bullying while he intentionally holds the rest of the draft hostage. Please. Seen these guys all the time and they do suck the fun out of it for the other 14 courteous and respectful drafters. This has nothing to do with being new or "not understanding", this is someone who is intentionally being an a**hole and doesn't deserve to be shown the respect that he clearly fails to show others. You want to know why everyone is gravitating toward the fast-slows run by MtM, Doughboys, KJ etc.? It's to avoid guys like this.

COZ
I agree with Coz 100%, as well as Hollenole for mentioning this guys name...he seems like a real tool and one to avoid if given the option. Unfortunately, these guys tend to join drafts late, so you may not have a choice. I've mentioned a few over the years, and it did seem to help. Either they straightened out during the draft or were better in future drafts.

Dak

Post by Dak » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:01 pm

This is another reason why Greg and Tom should not allow the use of "'anonymous" or other false names. Credit card info should match sign up info or no play...........simple!

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:20 pm

There's no excuse for telling fellow owners to STFU no matter what, unless the other owners have been disrespectful to him first, which doesn't appear to be the case here. That kind of behavior is worse than being slow IMO.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas

Head 2 Head

Post by Head 2 Head » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 am

Today at noon EST

Round 25 of 50 Pick 3
02:10:59
On the Clock:
Team Fonte

:lol:

Still rolling along. :roll:
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results." - Winston Churchill

Hollenole

Post by Hollenole » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Update: Round 27 pick 3, Fonte on the clock 4hours and counting..........

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:25 pm

I'm about to add a dude in a league I'm in, but won't add his name yet! LOL In rd 40, and he timed out in rd 39, and he's been on the clock for 3hrs and counting. He's been up and down, but fine lately, that's what's strange...will give him the benefit of the doubt for now.

anpyanks

Post by anpyanks » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:15 pm

Hate this thread but this guy has timed out EVERY WEEKEND PICK but during the week he was ok. He's held this up big time and the league is livid. I'll never play a DC with him again

Brady Sheehafer

Mudster

Post by Mudster » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:30 pm

how about instead of having a static 8 hour clock to pick, make it like a chess match where everyone has X amount of hours to do their draft. If they run out of time, then they are stuck with an hour timer or something like that. just an idea

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:23 pm

Any thought to adding a persons avg time to make a draft pick? Maybe add it to their profile or some way we can click on the persons name and get this info? I've been in drafts in the past and this info is handy. It actually made problem drafters pick up the pace once they know they are being tracked.

As an example; I'm about to join a DC and see the name Michelle Smith already signed up, if I click on her name and see that her avg time to pick is 4.5 hrs, then I will avoid that league. This will prevent headaches for everyone later...me trying to push the league along; Greg/Tom getting involved, etc...those that don't mind the draft taking 4 or 5 weeks can sign up and everyone is happy! :)

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 am

Steel Lugnuts wrote:Any thought to adding a persons avg time to make a draft pick? Maybe add it to their profile or some way we can click on the persons name and get this info? I've been in drafts in the past and this info is handy. It actually made problem drafters pick up the pace once they know they are being tracked.

As an example; I'm about to join a DC and see the name Michelle Smith already signed up, if I click on her name and see that her avg time to pick is 4.5 hrs, then I will avoid that league. This will prevent headaches for everyone later...me trying to push the league along; Greg/Tom getting involved, etc...those that don't mind the draft taking 4 or 5 weeks can sign up and everyone is happy! :)

One of many good ideas that has been discussed in the past, but nothing has been done to change anything again.
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:37 am

Baseball Furies wrote:
Steel Lugnuts wrote:Any thought to adding a persons avg time to make a draft pick? Maybe add it to their profile or some way we can click on the persons name and get this info? I've been in drafts in the past and this info is handy. It actually made problem drafters pick up the pace once they know they are being tracked.

One of many good ideas that has been discussed in the past, but nothing has been done to change anything again.
You'd have to find a way to allow for overnights.

CALI CARTEL

Post by CALI CARTEL » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:34 pm

Atlas wrote:You'd have to find a way to allow for overnights.
It's very simple, ran many email drafts back in the day before NFBC/NFFC started these up; you just put the clock on a hold from 1AM ET to 7AM ET (6 hours) and go to a 4-hour draft clock. During that time, people may still pick if they are on the clock, but the clock will not be counting down.

So if a team is on the clock at 10:32 PM ET, at 1AM, their clock will pause with 1hr, 32 mins remaining on their 4-hour clock. At 7 AM ET if they haven't pick yet, their clock will commence and their time will be up at 8:32 AM ET. This results in a longer than 8 hour clock overnight, but will more than be made up with the 4 hour clocks the remainder of the day -- but there is also the ability for multiple picks to be made overnight during this clock pause, there's no reason that the clock has to start up again for draft picks to be made.

In today's internet age, other than a long term emergency, there's absolutely no reason that you should be signing up for one of these leagues if you are not be able to check the draft before work, at lunch, after work and sometime before bed -- if you check those four times, you'll never miss a pick even with a 4-hour clock. If you can't check at work and/or during lunch, you shouldn't even be in an 8-hour format league, so that argument is ridiculous IMO.

Bluecat

Post by Bluecat » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:27 pm

I certainly wish these ideas were reality. The DC I'm currently in is PAINFULLY slow! We are averaging close to 2 rounds a day and nobody takes hours every time, but there are at least 2 everyday that take 4 + hours on a pick and that just kills any momentum. I've posted in the chat about trying to speed things up and am always met with the same old "it's called a slow draft for a reason", "I have a life outside of this" "Whining won't speed me up" crap. The 2 other DC's I've done this year had their moments but each moved pretty good and finished before 2 weeks. I've learned my lesson with this one for sure. No more 8 hour clocks, it'll be the Express and the Auctions for this drafter from here on out!

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:55 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:
It's very simple, ran many email drafts back in the day before NFBC/NFFC started these up; you just put the clock on a hold from 1AM ET to 7AM ET (6 hours) and go to a 4-hour draft clock. During that time, people may still pick if they are on the clock, but the clock will not be counting down.

So if a team is on the clock at 10:32 PM ET, at 1AM, their clock will pause with 1hr, 32 mins remaining on their 4-hour clock. At 7 AM ET if they haven't pick yet, their clock will commence and their time will be up at 8:32 AM ET. This results in a longer than 8 hour clock overnight, but will more than be made up with the 4 hour clocks the remainder of the day -- but there is also the ability for multiple picks to be made overnight during this clock pause, there's no reason that the clock has to start up again for draft picks to be made.

In today's internet age, other than a long term emergency, there's absolutely no reason that you should be signing up for one of these leagues if you are not be able to check the draft before work, at lunch, after work and sometime before bed -- if you check those four times, you'll never miss a pick even with a 4-hour clock. If you can't check at work and/or during lunch, you shouldn't even be in an 8-hour format league, so that argument is ridiculous IMO.
I've been making this suggestion for a couple years now, the software cannot handle suspending the draft timer (at least, that's what I'm lead to believe). Otherwise, those 4-hr drafts would be ideal. Clock stops overnight like you mentioned, but can still make picks.

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:33 pm

CALI CARTEL wrote:

+1 - Excellent idea and I have been in many drafts with this format

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Unfortunately, there are no fast options for the $400 DC. I'm in the 14th round of a DC that started six days ago. It's like watching natural erosion.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:08 pm

This thread (and the ones every year since the inception of the DC format) are pretty entertaining since we are in February and wanting these to end quickly will accomplish what? Sure, if a drafter is purposely and obnoxiously wasting the clock just to frustrate other drafters, then something should be done to move things along (like contact Greg). But I can tell you that most of the time, it is a new drafter who takes the 8 hours as it is stated and is not pushing to make picks because they don't get it. There is no simple answer. Having a special clock for overnights is not something that is going to happen. If it gets closer to the season and it needs to be rushed along, it will be. The best answer is draft in a 4 hour clock league or do a cutline or fast DC. There are alternatives.