RIP To Greg's Mother

BK METS

Re: RIP To Greg's Mother

Post by BK METS » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:21 pm

Prayers to the family. So sorry to hear.

lrr

Post by lrr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:20 pm

Your mother must have been very proud of your accomplishments. My sincerest condolences. Leonard

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:40 pm

Greg,

My heart goes out to you. May God bless her, you and your entire family.

Robert
- Robert

Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:58 pm

Greg,
I have recited a Prayer for the Faithful Departed.
As individuals, the effects of these dire losses are obviously unique to everyone. Constant denominators to the grieving process are omnipotent faith and infinite support from both family and friends. Having met you a few times, as well as judging from these boards, I believe you have these in spades.
God Bless

mkosmoski

Post by mkosmoski » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:13 pm

Greg,

Sorry to hear about your loss, my faith preaches we will all one day be re-united. We are all going to Walk through that "Cornfield" one day. I hope your Mom greets you.

Regards

Mike Kosmoski
Frozen Ropes

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:27 pm

Greg my condolences your family is in my prayers.

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Greg, so sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your family.

Cobb

Post by Cobb » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:58 am

Sorry for your loss Greg. Thinking of you and your family.
"My reputation precedes me. Otherwise I'd be late for all my appointments." - Harry Crumb

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:51 am

My sincere condolences to you Greg and all of your family on the loss of your mother. I Will Say a prayer for you and for your mom as she makes her journey to Heaven!

Mike

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:24 am

Thanks to everyone for their kind thoughts and prayers. This means SO VERY MUCH to me.

My mom was a very religious person who believed in the power of prayer. In fact, my sister called her a "prayer warrior" because she prayed all the time for people in need. She had a regular Wednesday prayer group for 30+ years and she did the rosary religiously. There were times when if you called her to tell her some bad news she would say "I have to hang up now so that I can start praying for them." She grew up next to a Catholic church as a child and we lived across the street from a Catholic church as kids. My mom went to church every day and so did we pretty much!! :lol:

All of that makes my mom's story one of the most unbelievable stories ever. I've never really talked about it, but it deserves some recognition today because this last week has been an unbelievable journey.

My parents were successful and retired in 1983 when the last of six kids graduated from high school. On June 5, 1987 my mom went to the church to help with decorations for Pentecost. She was on a ladder and pulled on a garment that was attached to the cross and the cross fell down on her and knocked her off the ladder. She hit the altar, was paralyzed and wasn't expected to live through the night. Somehow she fought on and lived 28 1/2 years as a paraplegic. She outlived my dad and even lived on her own for almost a decade. She was amazing, although she fought severe phantom pain every day that she was a paraplegic. I tried to distract her phantom pain by getting her an expansion team in our family fantasy football league and she not only excelled at that but won two titles in a three year period. She was ULTRA competitive.

I knew every time that I went on a trip that my mom could have medical issues. When Mike and I ran Las Vegas or Dennis and I ran Las Vegas we knew that at any moment we could both be rushing back home. Although she was in good health, she was 88 years old and susceptible to pneumonia. Sure enough last Sunday she got pneumonia and with all of my family members out of town they called me to rush to the hospital. She was already on life support but cognizant. We got through until Monday when Mike, Dennis and my sister could get there, but the inevitable was at hand. On Monday night we took her off life support and something miraculous happened: We gave her life.

The minute we took her off life support she got this calmness about her and just looked at peace. The nurse said that mom would pass in about 15 minutes but we stood vigil over her for 36 hours before you could tell this lady was going to go out on her own terms. She would come to at times and communicate with her eyes. Then on Wednesday and Thursday she even tried to talk and did talk to my brother on the phone. Again, she was dying, but she just wouldn't give up. After years of praying for death and knowing that eternal life awaited her, she just couldn't leave. She opened her eyes several times after that, hummed to Amazing Grace and by Saturday I said "you're in charge here mom, right?" She nodded emphatically. I said "you'll decide when you go, right?" She nodded emphatically again. She was going to make sure that everyone got home to say their goodbyes and she in turn said her goodbyes. Her brothers and sisters came, grandchildren came, friends came, the Bishop came, priests came and each time she mustered enough strength to open her eyes and communicate that way.

The journey ended on Tuesday morning when she was alone and at peace. It was 8 days after the nurse said it would be 15 minutes. It was the most emotional, most draining, most spiritual journey of my life. She died at 88 with 6 healthy kids, 17 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren. She played racquetball and was a multi-time golf champion in her 50s, which made this injury so difficult. But as she said to me often, "The Lord works in Mysterious Ways." Wow, don't we know that.

It puts life in perspective. You think your Draft Champions League is going too slowly? Enjoy the moment. Enjoy the camaraderie. Enjoy the experience.

We are in celebration mode now. We're all cried out. We are celebrating an INCREDIBLE life. I hope to have the type of resume that my mom takes to heaven, and I know she went straight there. She lived her purgatory right here over the last three decades. Her sisters are still alive at 93 and 91 and her brother is 87 and still shooting 87 on the golf course. Her other brother died at 89 last week, almost the same day as mom. So I have good genes in the family!!! I'm not going to waste those by being stressed out here. :lol: No way.

Life is good. It throws us a curveball sometimes and we just have to keep fouling it off until the Big Guy throws one past us. Mom was in the 27th inning of a scheduled 9-inning game. We can live with that outcome. I can live with that outcome. As we told her "your job is done Mom. We can take it from here."

And so we will. And the good news? She's WALKING with the Lord right now. God Bless you Mom. God Bless You.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:06 am

Greg,

Thanks so much for sharing such a wonderful story with us. You will continue to be in my thoughts. I'm sure you will find comfort among your family and friends remembering the good times.

Dave

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:14 am

That is probably the best post these boards will ever see. Well done Greg, and I'm sure she's very happy that you took from her both her competitiveness and compassion.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:27 am

Inspirational for sure, Greg!
Thanks so much for sharing...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:31 am

Wow, great tribute to your Mother, Greg . Thanks for sharing. Very touching to read and a really nice bit of perspective for all of us. May we all learn from your Mother's example and live life with such a positive & uplifting spirit. My sincere condolences.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:37 am

Wow --- speechless.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:04 pm

Truly a life well lived. That was a beautiful and touching tribute, Greg. Thank you for sharing it with us.

anpyanks

Post by anpyanks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:32 pm

incredible woman!!! thanks for sharing like KJ said an incredible post

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:16 pm

Fantastic post and a great reminder to us all (including me, for sure). Although condolences definitely are in order, and you have that from all of us, it also sounds like congratulations are in order as well - you were blessed with a truly great Mom and family. Thanks for reminding us all as to what really is important.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Attie

Post by Attie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:15 pm

That's a beautiful post Greg. It gives me pause to reflect on my own mom, who passed away from cancer three years ago at the age of 87. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of her. At least be secure in the knowledge that she will never really be gone, she will be with you every day of your life.

greenwichsttavern

Post by greenwichsttavern » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:26 pm

That is truly an amazing story and great post, thanks for sharing Greg.

Lunatic

Post by Lunatic » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:33 pm

My prayers to you and your family Greg; losing a parent is very tough.
Your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying...Ralph Waldo Emerson

blazer68

Post by blazer68 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:43 pm

My deepest condolences sir your mother sounds like an amazing woman and a inspiration to not only the members of your family but for anyone in life.the fact that you were able to give such a loving and moving tribute says a lot about your character and the way this incredible woman raised you.Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and making us realize what really is important in life

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:13 pm

My condolences to you and your family, Greg.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:01 am

Nice posting Greg.
Sorry to hear about your mom, and God bless.

Streptacular

Post by Streptacular » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:50 am

Thank you for sharing Greg. I lost my mom 21 years ago today when I was 19 from cancer. I watched her take her last breath that morning and I still think about her every day. It gets easier but days like today are hard. I am not a religious man but I hope you're right about being in a better place.