Ken Giles - Nite Nite

Gekko

Ken Giles - Nite Nite

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:28 am

Enter Sandman

Bjs2025

Re: Ken Giles - Nite Nite

Post by Bjs2025 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:29 am

Eh, I own him in a league, he'll get saves at some point and I may just leave him in now anyway for the ratios

Captain Hook

Post by Captain Hook » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:35 am

temporarily - I think Hinch may have been trying to pacify Gregerson but the Astros didn't trade that much to have him be less valuable to the team ... AND Gregerson was/is much better as a setup man than as the closer

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:11 am

The Astros have nobody that can throw as hard as Giles. They want him in high leverage situations where they need a K as none of their other relievers can do that like him. Gregerson is the vet that wants the job and did fine last year in that role. I truly believe other than injury, Gregerson will keep that role all year.

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:50 am

Captain Hook wrote:temporarily - I think Hinch may have been trying to pacify Gregerson but the Astros didn't trade that much to have him be less valuable to the team ... AND Gregerson was/is much better as a setup man than as the closer

Agreed, Gregerson is a better setup man than closer, however the Astros will do whatever it takes to win and I don't agree that pacifying a player is a strategy IMO.

Giles = 29 K%, 33 FB%, 3 HR/FB%, 60 F-Strike%

Gregerson = 25 K%, 23 FB%, 13 HR/FB%, 67 F-Strike%

Similar with other metrics.

Credit Jason Collete with this data.

Scott
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:00 pm

The writing was on the wall these last couple of weeks.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Take away the fact that the Astros gave up a lot to get Giles, but Giles has just 3 months as a major league closer. Not only that, he had control issues in the minors and was only throwing in the low 90's at the beginning of last season. You also have a team in the Astros that will compete and are likely hesitant to turn over the keys to someone with limited experience. Granted, the Blue Jays went with Osuna over Storen, but Osuna wasn't drafted as a Top 10 closer. The skills still remain for Giles, but the writing really was on the wall with this one.

Steel Lugnuts

Post by Steel Lugnuts » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:01 pm

I read somewhere this could be a money saving issue, Gregerson is already signed for the next three years at a decent price, regardless how many saves he gets. Giles will be arbitration eligible after this year, and take away all those saves, then he'll only get paid what a setup man gets, not a closer. Or something like that. Wouldn't surprise me, but I'd be bummed if I were Giles.

uky

Post by uky » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:13 pm

I'll take Giles
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:59 am

uky wrote:I'll take Giles
You have no choice. You already bought him and now you are stuck with him. :lol:
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:12 am

Giles should now be viewed as a "closer in waiting" type, like a kevin jepsen or a chris hatcher. tough blow for the folks who threw caution into the wind and took giles in the 6/7/8 range. they knew the risk

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:25 pm

First outing of the season and Didi Gregorius is taking him out of the ballpark.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:34 pm

Welp, that about seals it up, nice and tidy.

Folks - Feel free to drop Giles this sunday. he's waiver wire chum. i understand not wanting to give up on him due to the high pricepoint u paid for him, but if u are thinking about this as a reasonable person should, he is...

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:10 pm

You could say he's in the position of Betances (a 15th rounder) but still with a clearer path to saves, so better. He is similar to Andrew Miller (12th rd before he hurt his hand) who was looking a 1 mo of saves, but Giles o/u still better than 1/6th of season of save. So today he'd probably drop from R8 (which already included a risk discount) pre-Gregerson announcement to R10-11. Not quite dead, or even a disaster.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:45 pm

KJ Duke wrote:You could say he's in the position of Betances (a 15th rounder) but still with a clearer path to saves, so better. He is similar to Andrew Miller (12th rd before he hurt his hand) who was looking a 1 mo of saves, but Giles o/u still better than 1/6th of season of save. So today he'd probably drop from R8 (which already included a risk discount) pre-Gregerson announcement to R10-11. Not quite dead, or even a disaster.
if you are thinking about this as a reasonable, unbiased person, his pre-Gregerson announcement pricepoint should have been 10-12. after gregerson was named closer, locked down his first save (with Giles imploding), i surmise giles would go post round 20. at least that is what my numbers say. ie, he's waiver wire fodder.

i hope my fellow owners keep giles rostered. that will only hurt them from picking up an actual usable player via FAAB.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:15 pm

Gekko wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:You could say he's in the position of Betances (a 15th rounder) but still with a clearer path to saves, so better. He is similar to Andrew Miller (12th rd before he hurt his hand) who was looking a 1 mo of saves, but Giles o/u still better than 1/6th of season of save. So today he'd probably drop from R8 (which already included a risk discount) pre-Gregerson announcement to R10-11. Not quite dead, or even a disaster.
if you are thinking about this as a reasonable, unbiased person, his pre-Gregerson announcement pricepoint should have been 10-12. after gregerson was named closer, locked down his first save (with Giles imploding), i surmise giles would go post round 20. at least that is what my numbers say. ie, he's waiver wire fodder.

i hope my fellow owners keep giles rostered. that will only hurt them from picking up an actual usable player via FAAB.
He was a 14th rounder last year as a closer-in-waiting, and he's a lot closer to getting that role this year. He grooved one to Didi today, probably thinking he couldn't hurt him, then struck the next two (better) hitters and finished the inning with a GB. No worries here.

Joc, on the other hand, would worry me. He is on zero teams for me, ditto Buxton. I think drafters are paying for stats that may be a couple year away.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:30 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
He was a 14th rounder last year as a closer-in-waiting, and he's a lot closer to getting that role this year. He grooved one to Didi today, probably thinking he couldn't hurt him, then struck the next two (better) hitters and finished the inning with a GB. No worries here.

Joc, on the other hand, would worry me. He is on zero teams for me, ditto Buxton. I think drafters are paying for stats that may be a couple year away.
papelbon was 95% certain to get moved last year, hence Giles adp of rounds 14/15. gregerson will be the guy ALL year (assuming he stays healthy). i know its tough for Giles owners to believe that, but with each save gregerson locks down, reality will begin to set in for Giles owners.

giles, pederson and buxton are all post round 20 players for me. i'm not even sure i would bid on them if they were available in FAAB.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:39 pm

Gekko wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:

papelbon was 95% certain to get moved last year, hence Giles adp of rounds 14/15. gregerson will be the guy ALL year (assuming he stays healthy). i know its tough for Giles owners to believe that, but with each save gregerson locks down, reality will begin to set in for Giles owners.

giles, pederson and buxton are all post round 20 players for me. i'm not even sure i would bid on them if they were available in FAAB.
Gregers isn't even "the" guy right now, as the GM has said saves will be situation-dependent. I'd take over vs his 15 saves last year.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:07 pm

u must be a Giles owner :lol: :lol: :lol:

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:20 pm

Gekko wrote:u must be a Giles owner :lol: :lol: :lol:
Own giles/gregers in multiple leagues. Should be plenty of saves to go around. ;)

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:03 pm

It would have been so much cheaper to simply put Velasquez in the bullpen this season.

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:19 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Gekko wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:

Gregers isn't even "the" guy right now, as the GM has said saves will be situation-dependent. I'd take over vs his 15 saves last year.

I think the "situations" are going to favor gregers for awhile.
Surprising guys were drafting Giles before rd 10 leading up to opening day.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:44 pm

rkulaski wrote: I think the "situations" are going to favor gregers for awhile.
Surprising guys were drafting Giles before rd 10 leading up to opening day.
Greger is the "primary" for now. Giles @ 90 k's, 5-7 w's, 10-25 svs, sub 1.00 whip will be a solid contributor.

Doctor Who

Post by Doctor Who » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:48 pm

KJ- what can I get for under 15 saves for Giles this year? ;)

Need to make some of my money back from Vegas!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:58 pm

Doctor Who wrote:KJ- what can I get for under 15 saves for Giles this year? ;)

Need to make some of my money back from Vegas!
PM me, we'll book it. 8-)