Kyle Schwarber

Yah Mule

Kyle Schwarber

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:33 pm

He just collided with Fowler on the warning track and was down for several minutes. They have him up, but he can't put much weight on his left leg. He's leaving on a cart. The one good thing is his foot didn't appear to be planted when Fowler hit him, so hopefully we're just looking at a contusion.

The play turned into an inside the park homer for Segura, his second homer of the game.

mdecav

Re: Kyle Schwarber

Post by mdecav » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:55 pm

Great. Nothing like being exposed to Schwarber and Pollock on a few teams to start the season.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Encouraging news. Initial X-rays were negative. He'll have an MRI tomorrow, but they're calling it a sprained ankle right now.

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:45 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Encouraging news. Initial X-rays were negative. He'll have an MRI tomorrow, but they're calling it a sprained ankle right now.
Allelujah. Damn, that collision looked horrible. I had flashbacks of Mark Prior's collision. If Schwarber escapes this with only a sprained ankle, that would be great news and a best case scenario as far as I'm concerned as a Cubs fan. Fantasy-wise I have zero shares of Schwarber but that's beside the point.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:30 pm

Saw this screenshot on one of the Cub blogs I frequent. An ACL tear would be worst case scenario and effectively put him out for the year. But since ACL tears occur from hits to the outside of the knee, I doubt this is an ACL from the looks of the hit here. Furthermore, the trainers usually know right away if it's an ACL tear, and on the replay after the trainer did the ACL-tear-check you can see him look to the dugout and give a thumbs up. So, I am ruling out an ACL tear based on that circumstantial evidence.

It could still be an MCL sprain (tear) which occur on hits to the inside of the knee. I think that is still a possibility which will only be determined by an MRI since it involves microscopic tearing of the MCL ligament. Best case, and what the doctors initially diagnosed, and what the picture above supports, is it is a serious ankle sprain likely Grade II or III. Furthermore, x-rays were taken and there are no fractures. So we can effectively rule out any ankle or leg fractures. Bottom line, this is good news considering an ACL tear and Schwarber out for the year was a very real possibility. The Chicago National League Ballclub's World Series hopes, along with Schawarber's ACL appear to remain, effectively, INTACT.

COZ
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:56 am

Yah Mule wrote:Encouraging news. Initial X-rays were negative. He'll have an MRI tomorrow, but they're calling it a sprained ankle right now.
I never find news of negative X-rays encouraging when my eyes tell me it is ligament or soft-tissue related.

I will NEVER forget a few years ago after a violent leg injury in football, Leslie Visser came on with the sideline report and said "Good news! the X-rays are negative." I wanted to shoot her. It was clear the player blew out his knee. When I saw the Schwarber replay, I thought something bad just happened to ligaments.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:21 am

Buster Olney: "A lot of concern within the Cubs organization today about Kyle Schwarber's injury, and there is more concern about his knee than his ankle."

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:22 am

the cubs have plenty of options- play castro at second and zorbist in left. oh wait- never mind. time to see if solar can play. if you don't see him out there- you know maddon doesn't.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 pm

The Mighty Men wrote:
I never find news of negative X-rays encouraging when my eyes tell me it is ligament or soft-tissue related.

I will NEVER forget a few years ago after a violent leg injury in football, Leslie Visser came on with the sideline report and said "Good news! the X-rays are negative." I wanted to shoot her. It was clear the player blew out his knee. When I saw the Schwarber replay, I thought something bad just happened to ligaments.
It's a standard multi-step diagnostic process. X-rays can quickly rule out a fracture. An MRI obviously takes more time. I agree you can tell right away with some ligament injuries, but I've seen NFL players sustain terrible looking trauma and return to the field two plays later. And there are also guys who blow their knee on what appear to be routine cuts. I don't think there's enough information from the replays to determine how long the Warbird will be down.

In my case, an MRI wasn't even conclusive. I blew my ACL in 1991, but the radiology tech couldn't assess the damage for whatever reason. The missing ACL wasn't detected until the surgeon performed an arthroscopic meniscectomy.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:20 pm

headhunters wrote:the cubs have plenty of options- play castro at second and zorbist in left. oh wait- never mind. time to see if solar can play. if you don't see him out there- you know maddon doesn't.
Doesn't hurt the Cubs much unless it's the whole season, crushes fantasy teams since we can't plug Soler into C. :evil: Freak injuries to top players is the worst part of FB.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:29 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
headhunters wrote:the cubs have plenty of options- play castro at second and zorbist in left. oh wait- never mind. time to see if solar can play. if you don't see him out there- you know maddon doesn't.
Doesn't hurt the Cubs much unless it's the whole season, crushes fantasy teams since we can't plug Soler into C. :evil: Freak injuries to top players is the worst part of FB.

Injuries stink in general. On the injury front, at a minimum, i would hope owners discount catchers, players playing "out of position" and players "made of glass" when doing their player rankings.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:37 pm

Gekko wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:

Injuries stink in general. On the injury front, at a minimum, i would hope owners discount catchers, players playing "out of position" and players "made of glass" when doing their player rankings.
in my only league Online April 2nd main event 4, Schwarber and Giles are owned by the same owner.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:48 pm

Gulp. Hope he doesn't have revere as well

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Wolfpac wrote:in my only league Online April 2nd main event 4, Schwarber and Giles are owned by the same owner.
There's an owner in one of my Main Event leagues who drafted Pollock in round 2 and Schwarber in round 3.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:59 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
Wolfpac wrote:in my only league Online April 2nd main event 4, Schwarber and Giles are owned by the same owner.
There's an owner in one of my Main Event leagues who drafted Pollock in round 2 and Schwarber in round 3.
Ouch that really hurts

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:
Ouch that really hurts
Yeah, I wouldn't wish that kind of luck on anybody.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm going to assume torn MCL or Meniscus at this point given the nature of the contact, hopefully it is not ACL ... maybe we'll see him in June. Also seems improbable he got away with less than that since docs can usually assess knee damage prior to MRI.

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:27 pm

KJ Duke wrote:I'm going to assume torn MCL or Meniscus at this point given the nature of the contact, hopefully it is not ACL ... maybe we'll see him in June. Also seems improbable he got away with less than that since docs can usually assess knee damage prior to MRI.
I totally agree with this but would also add to my quackery-post below that an LCL tear (Grade 3) if surgery is required could put him out for the year as well, per my internet medical expertise. Found this link helpful: http://biomed.brown.edu/Courses/BI108/B ... iesMCL.htm

COZ
COZ

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:33 pm

I had Pollock and Schwarber in an auction. We're barely four games into the season and that team is screwed.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:59 pm

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:09 pm

Torn ACL & LCL. Out for the year.

COZ
COZ

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:17 pm

COZ wrote:Torn ACL & LCL. Out for the year.

COZ
Alrighty, now I've got an extra bench slot for a brand new FA !

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm

Catcher eligibility gone for next year....
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:28 pm

My 2nd pick in the 1000 Slow.... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Even worse for my Cubs :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

COZ

Post by COZ » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:36 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Catcher eligibility gone for next year....
Why? Doesn't it resort to prior year since he hasn't officially "qualified" at any position this year? I don't understand how he doesn't qualify after only 3 games this year, please explain.
COZ