Ben Paulsen - can someone enlighten me?

Frozen Tundra

Ben Paulsen - can someone enlighten me?

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:09 am

How Mark Reynolds continues to steal at bats from Paulsen is really puzzling.

Paulsen is by no means the second coming of Goldy. But he hits both lefties and righties well - about 270-280 career and is a legitimate candidate to hit 30 HRS.

Reynolds hits both lefties and righties about the same - terrible that is. He is a career .230 hitter against lefties or righties.

Can it be defense? I don't think so. Paulsen has committed three errors his career. Granted, it's short compared to Reynolds, but the sample is big enough to indicate that Paulsen is at least competent defensively. Reynolds, on the other hand, is no Golden Glove.

So I don't get it. Maybe I am missing something. I own Paulsen in one league, expecting him to run away with the 1B job but he keeps losing at bats to a guy who defines (with good reason) the word journeyman.

Maybe the Rockies see something I don't. Please chime in.
"Imagination is everything. It is the preview of life's coming attractions"
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Ben Paulsen - can someone enlighten me?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:38 am

The Rockies are less sabrmetrically inclined than most Major League teams. They use shifts a lot less than most teams. They had three left handed hitting outfielders last year. This year, they added another lefty for better defense and traded Corey Dickerson.
And while the other 29 teams on a chess board use offense as pawns to protect their King (pitching), the Rockies use pitching as their pawns and want to leave blood on that chess board in an offensive slugfest.

Paulsen is an ok player. Without being a member of the Rockies and their ball park, he would have a hard time finding a starting job elsewhere.
Let's face it, the only reason we select him as fantasy players, is for the ball park.
For the most part, the Rockies are a power-first team. Reynolds has loads of power. Paulsen has power that is mostly propelled by ball park.
James Loney type corners are on their way out of baseball. Paulsen can have better fielding skills and maybe even better sabr skills, the Rockies don't care.
Power over Mauer.

I am not saying the Rox are right in their thinking. That is just the way they approach the game.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:58 am

Recognizing sample is really really small - Paulsen has only about 150 career games and about 400 at bats - he has hit more HRs away from Coors in about 20 fewer games. So I don't know that he is mainly a Coors power guy. I drafted him because at the 25th round he seemed the guy with the 1b job locked, based on indications at the time. Certainly he did not do anything to undermine himself in ST.

Also, again recognizing the small sample size, Paulsen seems to me more like Brandon Belt power guy rather than James Loney type. Loney hits a paltry 2.1 HR per 100 AB career. That is SS territory. Paulsen has a 3.75 HR per 100 AB, comparable to Belt's 3.67.
-Albert Einstein

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:04 pm

Frozen Tundra wrote:Recognizing sample is really really small - Paulsen has only about 150 career games and about 400 at bats - he has hit more HRs away from Coors in about 20 fewer games. So I don't know that he is mainly a Coors power guy. I drafted him because at the 25th round he seemed the guy with the 1b job locked, based on indications at the time. Certainly he did not do anything to undermine himself in ST.

Also, again recognizing the small sample size, Paulsen seems to me more like Brandon Belt power guy rather than James Loney type. Loney hits a paltry 2.1 HR per 100 AB career. That is SS territory. Paulsen has a 3.75 HR per 100 AB, comparable to Belt's 3.67.
Again, you are going with Numerish.
The Rockies use Numerish seldom.
The Rockies, plain and simple, like Reynolds power over what Paulsen brings to the table.
The hope for you would be for Reynolds to not succeed.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 pm

And by the way, if Belt played at Coors, I believe he would be one of the premier power hitters in baseball.
On my tombstone-

Donacion

Post by Donacion » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:22 pm

I drafted Reynolds late in a main event as a lottery ticket. I don't know the Rockies organization like Dan does but could the Rockies look to move Reynolds at the trade deadline for a team looking for a RH power bat coming off the bench. If so he would need to play. If your Reynolds what better place to resurrect your resume.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:05 pm

Frozen Tundra,

I have to admit, I have been asking myself the same exact question. It boggles the mind. Reynolds is a proven poor baseball player. He can occasionally hit a long HR and is bad at just about everything else at this point in his career. I cannot understand how he isn't the everyday 1b outside of occasional spot starts for Reynolds vs a lefty.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:44 pm

Driver Love wrote:Frozen Tundra,

I have to admit, I have been asking myself the same exact question. It boggles the mind. Reynolds is a proven poor baseball player. He can occasionally hit a long HR and is bad at just about everything else at this point in his career. I cannot understand how he isn't the everyday 1b outside of occasional spot starts for Reynolds vs a lefty.
I guess I forget we are talking about the Rockies. As Doughboys pointed out, the Rockies logic works differently. I assume they look at the standings upside down too. All is well then.

I am dropping Paulsen.
-Albert Einstein

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:14 pm

I just picked up Y Escobar in Faab so Paulsen goes to the back of the bench for a bit. I still think he has value but until I see him get regular time I will sit on him. There wasn't much available on free agent wire in my league. The broader point is this. No matter how much we mock the Rockies organization I still struggle to understand why Paulsen would not be getting regular playing time. Time will tell.
Last edited by Driver Love on Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frozen Tundra

Post by Frozen Tundra » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:20 pm

Driver Love wrote:I just picked up Y Escobar in Faab so Paulsen goes to the back of the bench for a bit. I still think he has value but until I see him get regular time I will sit on him. There wasn't much available on free agent wire in my league. The broader point is this. No matter how much we mock the Rockies organization I still to understand why Paulsen would not be getting regular playing time. Time will tell.
You are lucky you can spare a bench spot. I have 5 DLs already.

Good luck.
-Albert Einstein

MGBMARTY

Post by MGBMARTY » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:53 pm

6 RBI's in last 3 games with his 1st HR on the road 2 RBI's today against a lefty Cingrani Losing Pollock was a killer. Looking for any offense possible. Started Ben this week One of the few correct choices I have made
Marty

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:41 pm

It has been a nice few days. I remain cautiously optimistic he will continue to get regular playing time. Aside from it helping my team, his lefty bat does balance out the lineup nicely.