Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

TOXIC ASSETS

Re: Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:49 am

cfolson wrote:
brian4state wrote:Can't help but wonder how this would have gone if he had said the opposite! Right...not a story.
You're right. If he said something that wasn't stupid and bigoted, it wouldn't be a story.
That would be 'stupid and bigoted' in your opinion.
In my opinion it's common sense. If you are born a man, you go to the bathroom in the men's room.
This country has gone completely off the rails in the past 20 years. It's madness.

By the way -- Kudos to both Driver & KJ for good write-ups!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:55 pm

(Regarding women provoking domestic violence) "We have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we’ve got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don’t think that’s broached enough, is all I’m saying. No point of blame.”

(Referring to Lebron James using the "N" word) "He is too supremely talented. He may be the best talent in the world. You know what? You just got to get that heart man! Stop walking around like the Tin Man syndrome. I mean what is wrong with you!? This N****. Come on man. He got it in him. Just peel it out. Suck it up. Wear the black hat."

Also, many other rants about black athletes being "stupid" and white athletes being "uncle Tom"

Mr. Stephen A. Smith... still gainfully employed by ESPN

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:47 pm

BK METS wrote:(Regarding women provoking domestic violence) "We have to make sure that we learn as much as we can about elements of provocation. Not that there’s real provocation, but the elements of provocation, you got to make sure that you address them, because we’ve got to do is do what we can to try to prevent the situation from happening in any way. And I don’t think that’s broached enough, is all I’m saying. No point of blame.”

(Referring to Lebron James using the "N" word) "He is too supremely talented. He may be the best talent in the world. You know what? You just got to get that heart man! Stop walking around like the Tin Man syndrome. I mean what is wrong with you!? This N****. Come on man. He got it in him. Just peel it out. Suck it up. Wear the black hat."

Also, many other rants about black athletes being "stupid" and white athletes being "uncle Tom"

Mr. Stephen A. Smith... still gainfully employed by ESPN
Another gaping asshole who should have been fired a long time ago. It would be nice to see him be the next one out the door. Unfortunately, Smith actually has a sizable fan base, something Schilling never did and never will. If you don't believe this is true, simply check their respective Twitter following. Schilling has 149,000 followers and Smith has 2.67 million.

Schilling's problem is there are literally thousands of more telegenic and clever people trying to scream the loudest in the multi-billion dollar conservative outrage industry and a lot of them are just better at stirring up shit than Curt. He's not hungry enough after that lucrative sports career to outhustle the career pundits.

Maybe the comparison you were driving at was the white guy got fired from ESPN for "speaking his mind", but the black guy did not? But the black guy did get fired. His name is Rob Parker. He said some stupid shit about Robert Griffin not being black enough and ESPN told him to get lost. Mainly because he wasn't attracting enough listeners to insulate himself from reprisal.

Hugh Douglas is another black guy who was shown the door by ESPN for racial comments. He also failed to bring in enough listeners with his CTE driven stream of consciousness silliness, which was way less toxic than the crap that casually falls out of the mouths of Schilling, Smith and Parker.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:06 pm

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:
cfolson wrote:
brian4state wrote:Can't help but wonder how this would have gone if he had said the opposite! Right...not a story.
You're right. If he said something that wasn't stupid and bigoted, it wouldn't be a story.
That would be 'stupid and bigoted' in your opinion.
In my opinion it's common sense. If you are born a man, you go to the bathroom in the men's room.
This country has gone completely off the rails in the past 20 years. It's madness.

By the way -- Kudos to both Driver & KJ for good write-ups!
I agree Toxic. I too think what he has expressed is fair and common sense (and I do not like him). We have lost our way as a nation and if we do not find courageous leaders now who can and will stand up to the nonsense this nation will be forever changed. We are so quick to "brand" someone bigoted or racist (often, if not usually where it does not apply) in an effort to silence opposition and it has allowed some absurd fringe viewpoints and behaviors to be forced down the throats of the the non fringe. We are losing our way.. we are losing much of what made this nation special and allowed it to go from non existence to the greatest, most free, most prosperous nation on the planet in a mere 175ish years. It is a sad scary time.

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:23 pm

Fair and common sense? Do you even know what he tweeted?

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:41 am

cfolsen,

Sorry, that meme makes total sense to me, and the vast majority of adults I know. if it is bothersome to you, I would be curious to know why and I assure you I can discuss the topic in a rational, reasonable way. In our sad effort to appease every single personal unique and at times bizarre need we are forcing things onto the rest of the country that seem unreasonable to many people. I should not have to explain to my 7 year old daughter why a grown man in a wig and dress is in the bathroom with her. To many people, this is common sense. In the world of the "tolerant" and "inclusive" left is that view tolerated and accepted?

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:18 am

cfolson wrote:Fair and common sense? Do you even know what he tweeted?

Cfolson....

1) He shared a Facebook post on Facebook. Obviously you missed that.

2) Do you not agree that the person in the photo should not be allowed in our daughter's public restroom?

3) just because you disagree with his view and he is radical and open with opinions, what makes his personal opinions any different or protected, than the opinions of those with opposite views?

4) whether you agree or disagree with the LGBT community and their rights, his point was not to attack them, but to simply agree with a Facebook post regarding the North Carolina law and his comment, as far as I am concerned, was spot on. The comment in the photo did not come from him.

5) Just because Stephen A Smith has more viewers than Curt Schilling, shouldn't allow him to say that women provoke abuse and constantly make bigoted and racial remarks.

I don't like Curt Schilling, but due to his open and opposing views of ESPN brass, he was fired. Should he have been fired? Maybe. But then there are a few others that should be fired as well. But they won't be.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:24 pm

BK METS wrote:1) He shared a Facebook post on Facebook. Obviously you missed that.

2) Do you not agree that the person in the photo should not be allowed in our daughter's public restroom?

3) just because you disagree with his view and he is radical and open with opinions, what makes his personal opinions any different or protected, than the opinions of those with opposite views?

4) whether you agree or disagree with the LGBT community and their rights, his point was not to attack them, but to simply agree with a Facebook post regarding the North Carolina law and his comment, as far as I am concerned, was spot on. The comment in the photo did not come from him.

5) Just because Stephen A Smith has more viewers than Curt Schilling, shouldn't allow him to say that women provoke abuse and constantly make bigoted and racial remarks.

I don't like Curt Schilling, but due to his open and opposing views of ESPN brass, he was fired. Should he have been fired? Maybe. But then there are a few others that should be fired as well. But they won't be.
1) He made this post accessible to everybody because that was obviously his intent. Let's try to be honest here.

2) Would you want this person in our son's public restroom? I can tell you that those big hairy exposed nipples would get him refused service in most businesses. Do you believe this individual represents the average trans person? I have to admit, I've lived in some big cities and I haven't stumbled across too many people in get-ups like this. No context to this picture is provided. How do we know it's not Alex Jones?

3) Keep saying things your employer doesn't like after repeated instructions to tone it down and you will get fired. Usually a hell of a lot quicker than this.

4) There's no way you honestly believe this wasn't meant to provoke people. Individuals like the one in that picture don't represent the average trans person any more than that pampered idiot Caitlyn Jenner does. The truth is trans people are the victims of crime at a far higher rate than the average person and they commit suicide at a much higher rate as well. Seeing public figures expressing open hostility towards them isn't really helpful. I don't like reading about teenagers killing themselves. Demonizing entire groups of people is evil bullshit. Always has been.

5) Stephen A Smith is a lowlife asshole and I haven't watched ESPN (unless they are televising an actual sporting event) in over ten years. One of the downsides to our capitalist system that Curt Schilling staunchly defends - when he's not pissing away a $75 million taxpayer handout through arrogance and incompetence - is that companies like ESPN will look the other way if you make them enough money.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/2012/07/3 ... -end-game/

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:41 pm

Would your wife or daughter be comfortable with this individual in her bathroom?

Seems the only solution is to have separate bathrooms for EVERYONE.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:19 pm

Ya mule,

Our veterans commit suicide at a much higher rate. Do we see much concern for that from the left? Where does it end? How come "Science" doesn't matter in this case but in others it is screamed about? What if I decided I "identify" as a 70 year old man when science says I am a 45 year old man? Can I collect social security? I am sorry, if a man decided to wear a dress, put on make up, get surgical enhancements to look more female, takes hormone injections, he isn't now suddenly a woman because he decides he wants to be. He is a man dressed as a woman, period. Science says so. Do I feel bad for these people? Of course I do. Should the rest of the society have to have the world around them changed to appease these people? I don't think so. Must we capitulate to every single fringe needs, desire, want, etc in today's pervasive, downward spiraling society and culture? Again I ask... where does it end?

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:23 pm

yeah, because the "left" hates veterans.

love politics on a baseball forum. brings out the best in everyone.

where's this weeks gecko thread?

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:36 pm

Driver Love wrote:Ya mule,

Our veterans commit suicide at a much higher rate. Do we see much concern for that from the left? Where does it end? How come "Science" doesn't matter in this case but in others it is screamed about? What if I decided I "identify" as a 70 year old man when science says I am a 45 year old man? Can I collect social security? I am sorry, if a man decided to wear a dress, put on make up, get surgical enhancements to look more female, takes hormone injections, he isn't now suddenly a woman because he decides he wants to be. He is a man dressed as a woman, period. Science says so. Do I feel bad for these people? Of course I do. Should the rest of the society have to have the world around them changed to appease these people? I don't think so. Must we capitulate to every single fringe needs, desire, want, etc in today's pervasive, downward spiraling society and culture? Again I ask... where does it end?
Actually, the left shows way more concern for veterans than the right. The left were the ones who complained when Bush slashed money from the veteran's budget. They also howled when Cheney and Bush and Rumsfeld lied on the record 935 times to send us to a war in Iraq that they profited from handsomely. They also pointed out the sickening hypocrisy of conservative politicians who campaign for war and then send kids into combat without body armor. The same chickenhawks who consistently vote against pay increases for the troops.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Yah Mule wrote:

Actually, the left shows way more concern for veterans than the right. The left were the ones who complained when Bush slashed money from the veteran's budget. They also howled when Cheney and Bush and Rumsfeld lied on the record 935 times to send us to a war in Iraq that they profited from handsomely. They also pointed out the sickening hypocrisy of conservative politicians who campaign for war and then send kids into combat without body armor. The same chickenhawks who consistently vote against pay increases for the troops.

WOW!!!! How bout them CUBBIES!!!!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:13 pm

Gb2715 wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:

WOW!!!! How bout them CUBBIES!!!!
They're good.

I'm totally fine with Schitcanning the political threads, too. Don't build it and they won't come. There are countless conservative echo chambers out there, why should people be exposed to FOX News nonsense on a roto message board?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Yah Mule wrote: Actually, the left shows way more concern for veterans than the right. The left were the ones who complained when Bush slashed money from the veteran's budget.

I don't know about the rest of your argument but Democrats just plain love to spend other people's money, so this part of the argument is worthless. Spending OPM does not equate to doing anything positive or supporting anyone, just like with education spending most is pissed away on administration, pet projects, paying for lawsuits, lobbying, building facilities, overpaying contracts, employing ineffective people, and on and on.

This basic lack of understanding by the American public who equates spending money on "things that sound good" without accountability is why liberals tend to be viewed as "compassionate" and conservatives as greedy/cheap. It is also why most artistic-types and minorities (who are supposed to receive most of the benefits) overwhelmingly identify liberal and most business people (who have a grip on business, economics, budgets and bureaucratic BS) lean conservative. Of course what we end up with is the worst of both worlds, phony compassion on the part of liberal politicians who collect and piss away far more money than gets used effectively to help people in need, and phony conservatives who have lost the meaning of the core philosophy of a limited, unobtrusive government and spend like liberals when it comes to anything related to defense, security and over-reaching moral policies. Curt Schilling needs an education, like much of the voting public, instead he's just acting like a baseball player rooting for the team he happens to play for.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:21 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Yah Mule wrote: Actually, the left shows way more concern for veterans than the right. The left were the ones who complained when Bush slashed money from the veteran's budget.

I don't know about the rest of your argument but Democrats just plain love to spend other people's money, so this part of the argument is worthless. Spending OPM does not equate to doing anything positive or supporting anyone, just like with education spending most is pissed away on administration, pet projects, paying for lawsuits, lobbying, building facilities, overpaying contracts, employing ineffective people, and on and on.

This basic lack of understanding by the American public who equates spending money on "things that sound good" without accountability is why liberals tend to be viewed as "compassionate" and conservatives as greedy/cheap. It is also why most artistic-types and minorities (who are supposed to receive most of the benefits) overwhelmingly identify liberal and most business people (who have a grip on business, economics, budgets and bureaucratic BS) lean conservative. Of course what we end up with is the worst of both worlds, phony compassion on the part of liberal politicians who collect and piss away far more money than gets used effectively to help people in need, and phony conservatives who have lost the meaning of the core philosophy of a limited, unobtrusive government and spend like liberals when it comes to anything related to defense, security and over-reaching moral policies. Curt Schilling needs an education, like much of the voting public, instead he's just acting like a baseball player rooting for the team he happens to play for.
Veteran's benefits and proper equipment for our troops who have been dragged into a middle east forever war for profit is not just something that sounds good. It's the barest minimum.

Honestly, I can see both sides of the bathroom gender issue. It may well be that more accommodations are the necessary compromise. The debate over that and the costs required is certainly one worth having. Curt Schilling's not interested in furthering dialogue. He's interested in throwing bombs and sniveling when the inevitable blowback comes his way.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:16 pm

I am not sure more accommodations are necessary. Again, how much must we capitulate to every single whim, desire or need our society may have going forward? There are two genders, science says so. I keep reading about the worst case scenario where sex offenders or perverts may exploit this. Putting that aside for a moment I am left wondering why I should have to explain to my 7 year old daughter why there is a person in the bathroom with her with a five o'clock shadow wearing a dress. This guys confusions over what gender he feels like being should not be forced upon my life. Schillings point was a fair one, regardless of what an idiot he has shown self to be in numerous circumstances.

side-note, the statement of "liberals show more concern for veterans than the right" is one of the all time most absurd statements I have seen in a long time. Having said that, I am not interested in turning this fantasy baseball forum (an escape from the idiocy of the world, including political debates) into anything other than what it should be. A baseball forum.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Yah Mule wrote: Veteran's benefits and proper equipment for our troops who have been dragged into a middle east forever war for profit is not just something that sounds good. It's the barest minimum.
You made my point. Schools say the same thing. On emotional issues such as funding for VA programs, equipment for troops or providing a good school for Jimmy, healthcare for the old and disabled, people will say yes. But how much of that funding goes to the vets vs spending on admin, overpaying for contractors and outsourced services and settling lawsuits because of incompetent management? Oldest trick in the book to fund everything but what needs to be funded - then cry about not having enough money to care for the vets, the kids, or whatever else evokes an emotional response.

BEF

Post by BEF » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 pm

I know people are focused on the bathroom issue, but that's just one piece of what has happened; other areas are affected as well. This article from the Charlotte Observer was written a month ago but is fairly clear in laying out the other ramifications, some of which are social and some of which are economic (such as "The law also means a city or county cannot set a minimum wage standard for private employers.")

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/p ... 01147.html
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:35 am

Actually, the left shows way more concern for veterans than the right. The left were the ones who complained when Bush slashed money from the veteran's budget. They also howled when Cheney and Bush and Rumsfeld lied on the record 935 times to send us to a war in Iraq that they profited from handsomely. They also pointed out the sickening hypocrisy of conservative politicians who campaign for war and then send kids into combat without body armor. The same chickenhawks who consistently vote against pay increases for the troops.[/quote]

WOW!!!! How bout them CUBBIES!!!![/quote]

They're good.

I'm totally fine with Schitcanning the political threads, too. Don't build it and they won't come. There are countless conservative echo chambers out there, why should people be exposed to FOX News nonsense on a roto message board?[/quote]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

May I remind you that Hillary Rodham Clinton also voted for the Iraq war.... in case you forgot.

At least a thread like this will make people think. Also these boards have been dying a slow death over the past few years. Be happy someone is still posting. Don't like it.... don't read it. Another Freedom of Speech issue! Problem solved!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:58 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:

May I remind you that Hillary Rodham Clinton also voted for the Iraq war.... in case you forgot.

At least a thread like this will make people think. Also these boards have been dying a slow death over the past few years. Be happy someone is still posting. Don't like it.... don't read it. Another Freedom of Speech issue! Problem solved!

Agreed. We often have many discussions related to non-fantasy issues that are big news stories. This case is involving ESPN, the illuminati of sports (interesting that illuminati spelled correctly has a red underline... I wonder if they control auto-correct as well.... :roll:)

The Republican/Democrat debate will go on forever and unfortunately will never stop. One thing I find interesting is, finding out where some of the NFBC players, who I have been debating with for many years on fantasy, stand on the issues effecting this country.

Honestly, I am a Republican who does not support the Donald Trump BS, but also do not like the fact that Washington politicians have more say on who is elected president, than the American people. That bothers me. Kinda makes me want to see Trump and Sanders battle it out for the presidency... but then again, the NFBC will have to give out evenly distributed prizes of $3,850 to all of the top 20 finishers in the NFBC Classic, if Sanders wins.. that wouldn't be much fun. ;)

Once in a while, I like a thread on non-fantasy stuff personally. I agree that If you don't want anything to do with it, don't read it.. I am sure Gekko will be starting a thread this week on the next big free agent pickup!!! :lol: (oh, wait.. he just did)

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:31 am

BK mets,

Well said. I too am a conservative who thinks our country is flying off the rails and we need to get back to conservatism to stop America from being transformed into a totally different and unrecognizable country. I too am anti Trump and think the last thing we need is a divisive guy with his brutally bad communication skills. Having said that, I would take anyone on the republican side (I prefer Cruz even though I wish he weren't quite so rigid and stiff) over either of the options that would be on the other side. I like discussing the topic but it often gets hostile and unpleasant to read in a forum like this.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:32 am

BK METS wrote:The Republican/Democrat debate will go on forever and unfortunately will never stop.
Perhaps this is the crux. We are basically told we have to identify with "conservative" (and I certainly have fallen in there) or "liberal" or "Republican" (as my wife says "Repiglicans") or "Democrats" (wifeism "Demoquacks"). And 80% of use typically fall into one camp or the other.

How about identifying as "rational" and "American"? May have to start with ditching McConnell and Pelosi and the rest of the bums from both sides of the isles!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:58 pm

EK- forget all this- matt latos is the man.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:34 pm

listen - the 'country' as we knew it, is done. doesn't matter who is president. just rearranging deck chairs on the titanic.

***medical industry is robbing all of us blind
***colleges are ensuring our youth are financial slaves
***pensions will NEVER pay out what they promise (if lucky, maybe 50%). once this one hits widespread, it's nItE NiTe time
***19 TRILLION in debt (not even counting unfunded liabilities)

depression much worse than the first depression is on the horizon. just debating WHEN it will hit, not IF. fuck'n done.

not much you can do, other than stay out of debt. even then, no guarentees