Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

Edwards Kings

Re: Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed May 04, 2016 4:00 am

NorCalAtlFan wrote:can you cite these historians please.

in my history classes, whenever reagan came up, the discussion was split on him pretty evenly. which isn't surprising in CA.

thank you in advance
Please accept this as a partial list from a simpleton and loser Braves fan:

STEPHEN E. AMBROSE
M. E. BRADFORD
ALONZO L. HAMBY
FORREST MCDONALD
GEORGE H. NASH
JAMES NUECHTERLEIN
John Patrick Diggins
Paul Kengor
Thomas W. Evans
Robert M. Collins
Craig Shirley
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Wed May 04, 2016 4:20 am

NorCalAtlFan wrote:Hillary 16. If it ain't broke, don't fix it
Hillary 2016:
16 years after she returned the stolen furniture, you voters can return the woman herself.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Wed May 04, 2016 6:10 am

NorCalAtlFan wrote:can you cite these historians please.

in my history classes, whenever reagan came up, the discussion was split on him pretty evenly. which isn't surprising in CA.

thank you in advance
If this were a court of law I would take the time out of my day to cite examples. Given that it isn't, I likely wont. Anyone can research it in an unbiased way themselves. I will say that given the fact that academia is a bastion of liberalism and many teachers/professors are so unprofessional they spew their politics onto the class and often make effort to indoctrinate the next generation it does not surprise me that Reagan would be knocked. If it was "split evenly" It is pretty easy to draw the conclusion that his presidency was a huge success given political leanings in academia are not split evenly at all.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed May 04, 2016 8:24 am

Sorry Alan, I must decline the nomination. :D
Especially with Gekko as Vice President.
I'm pretty sure a coup would happen within a year!

Here is a list of the central characters mentioned in this thread...

Reagan
Bush
Hilary
Bernie
Trump
Cruz
Stephen A. Smith
Velociraptors
Curt Schilling
Mr. Nipples

No wonder America is so angry!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Joe Blanton starting to worry if his record will stand.

BEF

Post by BEF » Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 pm

BK METS wrote:
BEF wrote:
BK METS wrote:...and after that last 8 years of a divisive POTUS I don't think we need another divisive character.
POTUS is the divisive element? Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-A09a_gHJc
BEF - might want to quote the proper person. I didn't write that, though the statement is not far off from how I feel... :roll:
VERY sorry. I hate having to figure out those HTML code symbols when quoting others. Sloppy on my part.
"There is but one game and that game is baseball." – John McGraw

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed May 04, 2016 3:40 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Joe Blanton starting to worry if his record will stand.

Weighing the two....

Future or demise of the "free" world as we know it
vs
Joe Blanton

I think this subject is just slightly more newsworthy and intriguing, though Joe Blanton is a unique talent.

That being said, with the withdrawal of Cruz and Kasich from the race, it appears we have our candidates....

Hillary Clinton
vs
Donald Trump

for president.... of the United States.. no really... those are our choices. And so now the question is, who is Trump's running mate (Curt Schilling doesnt have any plans) and can he/she bring him down to earth, to be a viable force against the establishment? And will there be a viable 3rd candidate?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 04, 2016 4:04 pm

If Trump picks a legitimate supporting cast he can win.

If he picks either failed re-tread insiders or philosophical whackos he's gonna lose. First glimpse into his judgement on a serious matter (I don't consider all of his BS propaganda to win votes as that serious since little of it would happen if he won).

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed May 04, 2016 5:02 pm

KJ Duke wrote:If Trump picks a legitimate supporting cast he can win.

If he picks either failed re-tread insiders or philosophical whackos he's gonna lose. First glimpse into his judgement on a serious matter (I don't consider all of his BS propaganda to win votes as that serious since little of it would happen if he won).
I kind of like Ben Carson.. He fits what Trump lacks. There is some propaganda there, but he is a respected guy and very well liked within the party and has a strong following. Trump said Carson will head up a committee to help him choose a running mate... though maybe Carson himself should be the guy.

Just a thought..

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 04, 2016 5:26 pm

BK METS wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:If Trump picks a legitimate supporting cast he can win.

I kind of like Ben Carson.. He fits what Trump lacks. There is some propaganda there, but he is a respected guy and very well liked within the party and has a strong following. Trump said Carson will head up a committee to help him choose a running mate... though maybe Carson himself should be the guy.

Just a thought..
Carson's strange personality could bring it all crashing down, Stockdale-ish.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 pm

alan's too young for stockdale kj. palin is a better example.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 04, 2016 5:50 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:alan's too young for stockdale kj. palin is a better example.
Carson has some sort of personality/ego disorder but he's not a (complete) idiot like Palin ... and I'd bet Alan's my age give or take.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Wed May 04, 2016 10:02 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
NorCalAtlFan wrote:alan's too young for stockdale kj. palin is a better example.
Carson has some sort of personality/ego disorder but he's not a (complete) idiot like Palin ... and I'd bet Alan's my age give or take.
Of course I remember James Bond. I actually remember the Phil Hartman skit, better... hilarious. And yes, I am probably older than KJ or around the same 1/2 century-ish territory.

As far as Carson, I don't think anyone will be bringing down Trump, other than Trump. He needs someone to speak like they know what they are talking about. I thought Carson could be the guy, but maybe I am wrong. Kasich is another guy that might work. I don't think Cruz and Trump are a match.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed May 04, 2016 10:57 pm

I don't think anyone that was in the race would be beneficial to the ticket. Some of the best people probably wouldn't run with him, like a Huntsman, but I'm sure he could find one that would.

Trump comes across as reasonable when he sits down and talks one on one with someone intelligent as opposed to when when he is politicking with the media or giving speeches, so I am holding out hope that he will be rational as he starts to put together cabinet members and advisors. VP is the first test, and who he brings onto his team will be far more telling of what his Presidency might look like than his BS speeches.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Thu May 05, 2016 3:29 am

Ah, James Stockdale. What a terrible pick for VP - by a guy smart enough (Perot) to have known better.
I doubt he picks Carson. Kasich = doubt it although it would be a good selection. Chris Christie would be a pretty good bet. Sen. Jeff Sessions endorsed Trump early on. He's a possibility.

Trump has a ton of momentum, and it's going to be fun watching one of the most wretched, dishonest persons I have ever seen (that would be Hillary), get pummeled in the first debate.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 am

Stockdale, over say just about ANYONE who has served as VP recently, would have been a HUGE upgrade, at least in the character department, though no one seems to give a crap about character. In general, I am with Dennis Miller on Stockdale:

"Stockdale, who was intended only as a fill-in until Perot could find another running mate, made an unimpressive appearance at a vice presidential debate with Dan Quayle and Al Gore. But Stockdale was a decorated prisoner of war in Vietnam, and Miller says he was turned off by the mockery.

"You know, Stockdale, we would have been blessed to have him as a president. I don't care if he's bad on TV. He was a hero and an icon," Miller said. "I saw people on the left go, 'Who's this old guy who's bad on TV?'"

Miller described Stockdale as a man "who tapped out Morse code to keep kids alive in the Hanoi Hilton" and who never gave up the faith and returned home safely."

Remember Stockdale was awarded the Medal of Honor in the Vietnam War where he was a prisoner of war for over seven years. Stockdale was the highest-ranking naval officer held as a prisoner in North Vietnam. He had led aerial attacks from the carrier USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) during the 1964 Gulf of Tonkin Incident. On his next deployment, while Commander of Carrier Air Wing 16 aboard the carrier USS Oriskany (CV-34), he was shot down in North Vietnam on September 9, 1965. Stockdale ejected from his Douglas A-4 Skyhawk, which had been struck by enemy fire and completely disabled. He parachuted into a small village, where he was severely beaten and taken prisoner.

Stockdale was held as a prisoner of war in the Hoa Lo prison (the infamous "Hanoi Hilton") for the next seven and a half years. As the senior Naval officer, he was one of the primary organizers of prisoner resistance. Tortured routinely and denied medical attention for the severely damaged leg he suffered during capture, Stockdale created and enforced a code of conduct for all prisoners which governed torture, secret communications, and behavior. In the summer of 1969, he was locked in leg irons in a bath stall and routinely tortured and beaten. When told by his captors that he was to be paraded in public, Stockdale slit his scalp with a razor to purposely disfigure himself so that his captors could not use him as propaganda. When they covered his head with a hat, he beat himself with a stool until his face was swollen beyond recognition. When Stockdale was discovered with information that could implicate his friends' "black activities", he slit his wrists so they could not torture him into confession.

Early in Stockdale's captivity, his wife, Sybil Stockdale, organized The League of American Families of POWs and MIAs, with other wives of servicemen who were in similar circumstances. By 1968, she and her organization, which called for the President and the U.S. Congress to publicly acknowledge the mistreatment of the POWs (something that had never been done despite evidence of gross mistreatment), gained the attention of the American press. Sybil Stockdale personally made these demands known at the Paris Peace Talks.

Stockdale was one of eleven prisoners known as the "Alcatraz Gang": George Thomas Coker; George McKnight; Jeremiah Denton; Harry Jenkins; Sam Johnson; James Mulligan; Howard Rutledge; Robert Shumaker; Ronald Storz; and Nels Tanner. These individuals had been leaders of resistance activities while in captivity and thus were separated from other captives and placed in solitary confinement. "Alcatraz" was a special facility in a courtyard behind the North Vietnamese Ministry of National Defense, located about one mile away from Hoa Lo Prison. In Alcatraz, each of the prisoners was kept in an individual windowless and concrete cell measuring 3 by 9 feet (0.91 by 2.74 m) with a light bulb kept on around the clock, and they were locked in leg irons each night.Of the eleven, Storz died in captivity there in 1970.

"I never lost faith in the end of the story, I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which, in retrospect, I would not trade."

His debate performance was marred by the fact he was hearing impaired due to his injuries from his imprisonment. This is the guy the Left (and some on Right) and certain comedians made fun of.

They (or me) are not fit to even walk in his shadow.

EDIT: To be clear, I do not think Admiral Stockdale would have been a good vice-president. The obvious shortcomings in public speaking, many of which were caused by his POW experience, would have been a serious detriment. However, when compared to the Plagiarist (Biden), the Hunter (Cheney), the Inventor of the Internet (Gore), and Potatoe Boy (Quayle) he would have been an upgrade.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 05, 2016 4:55 am

Trump does not need Ben Carson. He needs someone who can give him cred on moving forward a legislative agenda since Trump himself had none of the experience necessary to competently serve as Chief Executive.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 05, 2016 7:38 am

Vice Presidents are to America as a Closer-in-Waiting is to Roto....
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Thu May 05, 2016 7:45 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Vice Presidents are to America as a Closer-in-Waiting is to Roto....
Agreed but in the case of Donald Trump, it's pretty much vital he makes the right choice otherwise he will Donald Trump his way to a losing election. He needs someone to ground him a little.. A respected man/woman. He chooses a guy like Chris Christie and he's screwed.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 05, 2016 7:57 am

BK METS wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:Vice Presidents are to America as a Closer-in-Waiting is to Roto....
Agreed but in the case of Donald Trump, it's pretty much vital he makes the right choice otherwise he will Donald Trump his way to a losing election. He needs someone to ground him a little.. A respected man/woman. He chooses a guy like Chris Christie and he's screwed.
This time of year in an election year is one of the few times a VP is relevant.
I believe that ANY choice Trump makes will only be one of public perception.
In reality, a camera man for his reality show.
On my tombstone-

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Thu May 05, 2016 8:04 am

Biden = Grilli old, ineffective, pretty much useless

Rubio = Rodney always shooting arrows

Carson = Betances quiet, unassuming,

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 am

JohnP wrote:
Biden = Grilli old, ineffective, pretty much useless

Rubio = Rodney always shooting arrows

Carson = Betances quiet, unassuming,
LOVE IT!

Does that make Trump, Yasiel Puig?
A lot of headaches, flash and dash and we're still awaiting more substance?
Or, Eugenio Suarez and his breakout year?
Or Mike Leake, a guy who looked good on the campaign trail (Spring Training), but floundered afterwards....
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu May 05, 2016 9:15 am

Nope. Trump is Michael Jordan. Good at one thing, but the only advantage in another is that he can buy a really nice bus. The difference is MJ never made it out of minor league baseball. Trump is going from daycare to the Majors.
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Thu May 05, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu May 05, 2016 9:27 am

Hilary, the dreaded innings eater.
On my tombstone-

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 am

If I was advising Trump, at a minimum his VP selection needs to be non-white and non-male. This assumes 'non-white' and 'non-male' can still be determined in this day and age. :D