Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

TOXIC ASSETS

Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:20 am

Any opinions on the firing of Curt Schilling by ESPN?

It's getting to the point that you can't say anything these days without the PC police and their money grubbing allies (politicians and corporate America) muzzling you.

A sad day for America.

Shilling isn't for everyone. He's outspoken and he's conservative. He also belongs in the hall of fame as one of the best pitchers ever to take the mound.

I am predicting he won't be out of work for long.

Bjs2025

Re: Free speech be damned --- Curt Schilling fired

Post by Bjs2025 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:53 am

I don't like ESPN in any way shape or form and can say the same about Curt Schilling. Bottom line, you're entitled to free speech but you also risk people reacting to it and ESPN is entitled to do what they did. I remember here in central PA back when that idiot Rashard Mendenhall Steelers RB when commenting on the killing of Osama Bin Laden said onTwitter something like "Let's not all celebrate the man's death, we don't know the full story." The Steelers took some kind of action against him. I don't post brash opinions on Facebook because I'm in a leadership position at my company. Why does the world need to know where you stand on something even if it isn't THAT important to you? And if it is, just know the risk you run. Sure he's now out of work there but it's not as if he's been thrown in jail.

Daveclum

Post by Daveclum » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am

They responded to his intolerance by being intolerant.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 am

It is a two-sided coin to me. Said by those smarter than me...

“Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled, but some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like, but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage.”

Winston Churchill

So others can condemn, cajole, spit, hollar, and shout their opinions. Everything is fine until you have the gall to disagree.

However, Schilling is in a public position, and like those Hollywood-types, their opinions have extra scrutiny even though no one asked for their opinion and their opinion is related to issues that have no impact on the public jobs they perform and are well compensated for. "Free" speech is not "free". It costs and it has consequences. Just because one can open their minds/mouths does not necessary mean that the time and place is right to do so.

As example, this is free speech, but I did not agree with it. Wrong time and place.

"People demand freedom of speech as compensation for freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Søren Kierkegaard
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:21 am

Curt Schilling enjoys being a provocative asshole. Really not that big a handicap in today's society. If he could say ugly shit while being as pretty as Hannity, FOX would have given him a corner office and a staff to scream at by now. Fuck him and his bullshit bloody sock.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:29 am

Edwards Kings wrote:As example, this is free speech, but I did not agree with it. Wrong time and place.

John Carlos and Tommie Smith paid a high price for their protest. What's largely unknown is how much Australian Peter Norman, the bronze medalist in that photo, suffered as a result of his supporting them.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/24/sport/oly ... ack-power/

https://youtu.be/t4LvwXYmt3Q

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am

Yah Mule wrote:Curt Schilling enjoys being a provocative asshole. Really not that big a handicap in today's society. If he could say ugly shit while being as pretty as Hannity, FOX would have given him a corner office and a staff to scream at by now. Fuck him and his bullshit bloody sock.

Haha yes!!!!

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:05 pm

these on air personalities have to have something in their contract that says their employer can fire them for what schilling did. but it doesn't mean that curt can't sue. time for one of these conservative pacs to put some $ where their mouths are. I was once very against what smith/carlos did- then I grew up. the best protests are the ones that grab the most attention. flag burning is a perfect example of that. it really does allow for the freedom that we supposedly stand for. the left and the right only believe in freedom when it supports their side of the argument.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:06 pm

America is so easily offended these days, its crazy and with social media, saying something off color is spread around so fast that it is likely to find many calling for your job, even if it is just expressing your opinion. In the case of Schilling, I happen to agree with his opinions, but his approach is the issue... Unfortunately, if you don't immediately apologize for posting your "opinion", you are in trouble. The other issue is, he has had way too many incidents, to just let this one go.

Americans take offense to EVERYTHING, except when you offend the majority, then it is looked at as funny. We are allowed to make fun of our own race, creed, color, nationality, sexual preference, or religion. We just cannot express "opinions" about others.

In a public eye, nearly every day of the week, Stephen A Smith racially attacks, without thought of punishment. Just sayin.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:17 pm

BK METS wrote:
In a public eye, nearly every day of the week, Stephen A Smith racially attacks, without thought of punishment. Just sayin.
The A doesn't stand for Articulating

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:18 pm

On Schilling, an employer has a right for their public representatives to behave in a certain manner when in public. Twitter is as public as it gets. Some other employer whose execs have a different view of the world might celebrate his comments. So long as he was aware (he was) of his employer's view of making such public comments, they simply exercised their rights to protect their image/assets. So be it, no problem.

The bigger picture that disturbs me is the herd mentality that social media rains down on people with opposing views. It is some combination of acceptance-seeking, ignorance, righteousness and the complete lack of thinking independently that turns my stomach.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:42 pm

KJ Duke wrote:On Schilling, an employer has a right for their public representatives to behave in a certain manner when in public. Twitter is as public as it gets. Some other employer whose execs have a different view of the world might celebrate his comments. So long as he was aware (he was) of his employer's view of making such public comments, they simply exercised their rights to protect their image/assets. So be it, no problem.

The bigger picture that disturbs me is the herd mentality that social media rains down on people with opposing views. It is some combination of acceptance-seeking, ignorance, righteousness and the complete lack of thinking independently that turns my stomach.
Agree completely

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:22 pm

KJ Duke wrote:On Schilling, an employer has a right for their public representatives to behave in a certain manner when in public. Twitter is as public as it gets. Some other employer whose execs have a different view of the world might celebrate his comments. So long as he was aware (he was) of his employer's view of making such public comments, they simply exercised their rights to protect their image/assets. So be it, no problem.

Schilling was also made aware that his company was unhappy with his comments on multiple occasions in the past. They looked the other way when he compared two billion people to Hitler. How much leeway was this idiot supposed to get?

He finally accomplished exactly what he wanted to do for the last couple years. Schilling is not about presenting opposing viewpoints. He tries to be as big an asshole as he can possibly be and then he paints himself as a victim when people reciprocate.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Curt Schilling was a very good pitcher.
As a broadcaster, I thought he was bored, himself, when talking of baseball.
I don't feel that way when listening to Ron Darling, John Smoltz, or Al Leiter.
I may disagree with some of what they say, but they have that passion for the sport that makes it ok, no matter agreeing with them or not.
We tune in to listen to somebody as exuberant about the sport as ourselves.
I never got that with Schilling.
In a way, I feel this may be the best thing for him.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

marknym

Post by marknym » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:50 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Curt Schilling was a very good pitcher.
As a broadcaster, I thought he was bored, himself, when talking of baseball.
I don't feel that way when listening to Ron Darling, John Smoltz, or Al Leiter.
I may disagree with some of what they say, but they have that passion for the sport that makes it ok, no matter agreeing with them or not.
We tune in to listen to somebody as exuberant about the sport as ourselves.
I never got that with Schilling.
In a way, I feel this may be the best thing for him.
Well-put, I completely agree with this.
Mark Evans

brian4state

Post by brian4state » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Can't help but wonder how this would have gone if he had said the opposite! Right...not a story.

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:23 pm

brian4state wrote:Can't help but wonder how this would have gone if he had said the opposite! Right...not a story.
You're right. If he said something that wasn't stupid and bigoted, it wouldn't be a story.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Let me first admit I do not like Schilling. Even when he was a player I thought he had a big mouth and nothing has changed since he left playing. Having said that, I am very worried about the direction this country is headed and I think ESPN is a disgrace. If they said "we are letting Curt go because he was told not to make political statements and he violated that agreement" it is one thing. To say "we are an INCLUSIVE organization" only to prove they are only tolerant and inclusive if someone hold the positions they hold is the ultimate in Hypocrisy.

People on the left attack those on the right for not buying into science and then they themselves ignore science when it is convenient. If I decided I identify as a velociraptor and surgically attach a long reptile tail and file my teeth sharp and grow long claw like nails and wear contacts that make me look like I have reptile like eyes and I walk and physically act like the velociraptor in Jurassic park does that make me a velociraptor? Or does science say I am a man who is simply dressed up as or acting like a velociraptor? Can I demand the world around me change to fit my velociraptor needs? Should there be velociraptor specific bathrooms? The country is headed down a very disturbing path. ESPN is joke and I hope Curt Schilling (again, who I am not even a fan of) gets some national support.

brian4state

Post by brian4state » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:53 pm

cfolson wrote:
brian4state wrote:Can't help but wonder how this would have gone if he had said the opposite! Right...not a story.
You're right. If he said something that wasn't stupid and bigoted, it wouldn't be a story.
Ha! So if he would be in support of it he would be....Nevermind not worth it.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Driver Love wrote:Let me first admit I do not like Schilling. Even when he was a player I thought he had a big mouth and nothing has changed since he left playing. Having said that, I am very worried about the direction this country is headed and I think ESPN is a disgrace. If they said "we are letting Curt go because he was told not to make political statements and he violated that agreement" it is one thing. To say "we are an INCLUSIVE organization" only to prove they are only tolerant and inclusive if someone hold the positions they hold is the ultimate in Hypocrisy.

People on the left attack those on the right for not buying into science and then they themselves ignore science when it is convenient. If I decided I identify as a velociraptor and surgically attach a long reptile tail and file my teeth sharp and grow long claw like nails and wear contacts that make me look like I have reptile like eyes and I walk and physically act like the velociraptor in Jurassic park does that make me a velociraptor? Or does science say I am a man who is simply dressed up as or acting like a velociraptor? Can I demand the world around me change to fit my velociraptor needs? Should there be velociraptor specific bathrooms? The country is headed down a very disturbing path. ESPN is joke and I hope Curt Schilling (again, who I am not even a fan of) gets some national support.
Also good points. ESPN wants to make Jenner a hero with his "courage" award and Schilling a beast, while both are outspoken in their beliefs. Propping up one and vilifying the other at the corporate level is effectively pushing one's opinion on others which I don't care for at the corporate level (or otherwise) for that matter.

I am in favor of far more individual freedoms and fewer laws than we have in this country and forcing businesses to bend over backwards to accommodate every possible belief is another example of an over-bearing government that needs to be reigned in. While trying to give "freedoms" to some, they are at the same time taking it away from business owner trying to make a living. And you know once they create velociraptor-specific bathrooms they'll have to create two more for female and transgender velociraptors!

Angry velociraptor crapping in the bushes because of an intolerant diner owner.

p.s. If Wayne Edwards wants to wear a dress to go along with curly long locks, I am 100% ok with that. :lol: Just don't make me spend $75k for a new bathroom in my place of business on the happenstance he stops by. I think that is what most people like Schilling/Gossage/etc are angry about, having ideas and opinions forced upon them.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:12 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Driver Love wrote:Let me first admit I do not like Schilling. Even when he was a player I thought he had a big mouth and nothing has changed since he left playing. Having said that, I am very worried about the direction this country is headed and I think ESPN is a disgrace. If they said "we are letting Curt go because he was told not to make political statements and he violated that agreement" it is one thing. To say "we are an INCLUSIVE organization" only to prove they are only tolerant and inclusive if someone hold the positions they hold is the ultimate in Hypocrisy.

Also good points. ESPN wants to make Jenner a hero with his "courage" award and Schilling a beast, while both are outspoken in their beliefs. Propping up one and vilifying the other at the corporate level is effectively pushing one's opinion on others which I don't care for at the corporate level (or otherwise) for that matter.

I am in favor of far more individual freedoms and fewer laws than we have in this country and forcing businesses to bend over backwards to accommodate every possible belief is another example of an over-bearing government that needs to be reigned in. While trying to give "freedoms" to some, they are at the same time taking it away from business owner trying to make a living. And you know once they create velociraptor-specific bathrooms they'll have to create two more for female and transgender velociraptors!

p.s. If Wayne Edwards wants to wear a dress to go along with curly long locks, I am 100% ok with that. :lol: Just don't make me spend $75k for a new bathroom in my place of business on the happenstance he stops by. I think that is what most people like Schilling/Gossage/etc are angry about, having ideas and opinions forced upon them.
You should have seen him throwing that hair around in disgust at the end of our auction. It was like watching Fabio in a butter commercial. Certainly worth the trip out :D

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:54 pm

Build single-occupancy bathrooms. Lots and lots of them.

Problem solved.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:59 pm

KJ Duke,

I could not agree more and your picture really made my night. Brilliant!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:24 am

Teufel Hunden wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:p.s. If Wayne Edwards wants to wear a dress to go along with curly long locks, I am 100% ok with that. :lol: Just don't make me spend $75k for a new bathroom in my place of business on the happenstance he stops by. I think that is what most people like Schilling/Gossage/etc are angry about, having ideas and opinions forced upon them.
You should have seen him throwing that hair around in disgust at the end of our auction. It was like watching Fabio in a butter commercial. Certainly worth the trip out :D
Jealous!

:lol: :lol:

And while I have the legs for it, don't worry KJ...I will just use the corner of your office like I would always do!
Last edited by Edwards Kings on Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:47 am

Yah Mule wrote:

Schilling was also made aware that his company was unhappy with his comments on multiple occasions in the past. They looked the other way when he compared two billion people to Hitler. How much leeway was this idiot supposed to get?

He finally accomplished exactly what he wanted to do for the last couple years. Schilling is not about presenting opposing viewpoints. He tries to be as big an asshole as he can possibly be and then he paints himself as a victim when people reciprocate.
Shillings's comparison was a valid one. 7% of Germans were Nazi's. If just 1% of Islam are radicals (and the # is likely a lot higher) --- that's millions of radicals. Which means we have a big problem. To me that's another free speech issue. Some people don't like the new world system & the open borders -- for obvious reasons.