Odor

Roger Dorn

Odor

Post by Roger Dorn » Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 am

Over/under 10 games?

Best part was the crowd chanting U-S-A while the teams hugged midfield.

Yah Mule

Re: Odor

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 16, 2016 7:53 am

Manfred man, says under on Odor.

Bautista should go for at least the same amount of time since he instigated.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am

Roger Dorn wrote:Over/under 10 games?

If Manfred wants to keep this from becoming the NHL then it's 10 games or more. The cheap-shot punch wasn't necessary. Sure, it was a hard slide on the 21-year-old, but grow up. You don't just punch the guy because you're upset. I hope they come down hard on this because there's no place in the game for it.

I know folks think the NHL would die without fighting, but I disagree. It's a beautiful game muddied up by all of the cheap shot fights. Maybe Odor thinks he's in that league.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 16, 2016 10:53 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Roger Dorn wrote:Over/under 10 games?

If Manfred wants to keep this from becoming the NHL then it's 10 games or more. The cheap-shot punch wasn't necessary. Sure, it was a hard slide on the 21-year-old, but grow up. You don't just punch the guy because you're upset. I hope they come down hard on this because there's no place in the game for it.

I know folks think the NHL would die without fighting, but I disagree. It's a beautiful game muddied up by all of the cheap shot fights. Maybe Odor thinks he's in that league.
Bautista was striding towards Odor with a pissed off look on his face talking shit. He didn't get sucker punched, he got punched. If Bautista leaves the field instead of trying to be a tough guy, he doesn't spend the evening tweeting excuses through one closed eye. The guy who should be suspended is the one who ordered Bush to throw the pitch that precipitated everything. That will never happen because it would address the stupid eye for an eye bullshit that the sport should have left behind years ago.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 16, 2016 11:05 am

Bautista could've caused a serious injury with his slide, Odor's punch wasn't going to knock Bautista out for the season.

I'd give them both 1-3 games. Hopefully Manfred doesn't roll over to media pressure and make this more than it is.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon May 16, 2016 11:14 am

I guess greg still counts as "media pressure"

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 16, 2016 11:17 am

headhunters wrote:I guess greg still counts as "media pressure"
Absolutely! SiriusXM guys love suspensions. :P

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 16, 2016 11:31 am

I don't know why MLB hasn't instituted an automatic suspension for leaving the dugout or bullpen.
It was entertaining in the past. Mostly, stupid now.
Fellas like Donaldson, saying 'I have to back my teammate'.
Hey Josh, your heavyweight teammate was getting his ass handed to him by a bantamweight. Nobody else.
And no, I don't know what a bantanweight is, but it was fun typing it.

After the game, Bautista said it would take a bigger man than Odor to knock him down.
The baseball world waits for the day.
As for penalties, the Toronto Manager came back on the field, so he'll get a game.
Donaldson will get a game for acting like a Viking (in a real and football sense)in missing tackles.
Bautista should get two for being himself.
Odor will get twelve games.....but then we minus two for the idiot slide....then we minus another two because Bautista had his hands up and didn't slug first....then we minus another three games because most everybody in baseball has secretly wished to do the same to Bautista...Making it a five game suspension.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

knuckleheads

Post by knuckleheads » Mon May 16, 2016 11:42 am

I like the bat flip. If pitchers don't like it, they should stop giving up homers Won't have to see it then.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon May 16, 2016 11:44 am

Should be settled the way REAL people do it...Claymation Celebrity Death Match!

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon May 16, 2016 12:18 pm

Just to put the suspension talk in context, harken back to the last time a Texas Ranger got off a shot like that. Remember when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan after getting plunked only to take a multitude of shots to the head? Ventura got suspended for two games. Not only was Ryan not suspended, he didn't even get ejected from the game. Not saying the Odor-Bautista situation is exactly the same, but I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of precedent for a huge suspension here. Also, a rhetorical question: should Odor get a significantly greater suspension than other guys who threw punches simply because his connected better than most? Bautista should miss no time due to Odor's punch. How much time could Odor have missed if Bautista connected on his very-late slide? (Hint, ask Ruben Tejada.)

And, yes, I have Odor on a Main Event team and am getting nervous with all this talk about long suspensions!

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Mon May 16, 2016 12:57 pm

Bronx Yankees wrote:Just to put the suspension talk in context, harken back to the last time a Texas Ranger got off a shot like that. Remember when Robin Ventura charged Nolan Ryan after getting plunked only to take a multitude of shots to the head? Ventura got suspended for two games. Not only was Ryan not suspended, he didn't even get ejected from the game. Not saying the Odor-Bautista situation is exactly the same, but I'm not sure that there is a whole lot of precedent for a huge suspension here. Also, a rhetorical question: should Odor get a significantly greater suspension than other guys who threw punches simply because his connected better than most? Bautista should miss no time due to Odor's punch. How much time could Odor have missed if Bautista connected on his very-late slide? (Hint, ask Ruben Tejada.)

And, yes, I have Odor on a Main Event team and am getting nervous with all this talk about long suspensions!

Mike
The reaction from the blue jays announcer was classic, when he saw the replay of the punch, saying Odor was now 2-5 for the day. I think the effectiveness of the punch should not be a reason for a longer suspension. Many have thrown air punches without getting much as far as a suspension and bautista did instigate this by his obvious intent to injure on the slide. I think 2 games tops for both of them.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon May 16, 2016 1:17 pm

This all began with the continued silliness over the unwritten rules bible of baseball. Bautista showed up the Rangers last year and it couldn't be dropped without them exacting their pound of flesh. The HBP should have ended it until Bautista was given an opportunity seconds later to swing the ledger back to the Jays side. And then Odor evened it up again (and then some) shortly thereafter. As far as I'm concerned, this should be the end of it. Bautista has the bat flip and series clinching HR to look back on. And Odor has one hell of a punch to look back on. We'll see ...
Last edited by Philly High Hopes on Mon May 16, 2016 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon May 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Mon May 16, 2016 1:28 pm

These unwritten rules continue to baffle me. I was watching a live look-in of the Angels-Mariners game yesterday on MLBN. Hector Santiago had a no hitter through 5 in a 1-0 game. In the bottom of the 6th, Shawn O'Malley pushes a bunt up the first base line for the first hit of the game.

Well, according to a former player and studio analyst working during the game, you would have thought O'Malley took a big shit on the game of baseball. He basically said that players need to realize that the game and the competition itself is so much bigger than any individual player or any individual game. The analyst was beside himself, even though the studio host and other analyst weren't so convinced. So based on his unwritten book, bunting in the 6th inning of 1-0 no-hitter is an absolute no no.

I just don't see it that way.

swampass

Post by swampass » Mon May 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Hey Josh, your heavyweight teammate was getting his ass handed to him by a bantamweight

I have to disagree with this. Just because Odor landed a punch that Bautista wasn't expecting doesn't equal getting your ass handed to you. Watch the video again. Bautista falls back slightly but would have crushed that little guy had beltre not stepped in. Was that slide against the new wimpy rules? yes, but odor escalated that immediately by not only shoving Bautista but then punching him. By the way I think that if Bush was intentionally trying to hit Bautista on game 7 against Toronto knowing that Texas won't face them again this year then that was total pussy shit. If texas was so upset that Bautista hit a hr and flipped his bat like he always does then you hit him in game 1, AB #1. By the way hasnt Odor been accused of being an offender of the new slide rule himself?

My vote would be 12 games for Odor and 3 for Bautista. I'd also give Donaldson 5 games for his girly pigtail.

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon May 16, 2016 2:33 pm

First off, Rougned isn't that much smaller than Jill Bats. Secondly, Jill Bats would have crushed Odor? LMAO. I see a staggered Bautista and Odor ready to follow through for another 1-2 punch had Beltre not saved Bautista's ass.

anything more than 5 games is criminal.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon May 16, 2016 2:37 pm

I'm not saying Joey Bats is all innocent......
On the other hand, he has walked to the plate 33 times over 7 games this year just waiting to be hit by a pitch. When it finally came, he took his beaning and went to first.... he didn't charge the mound.

Then he went in hard at second to break up the double-play.... last season we would have been calling Odor a crybaby and talking about the 'wussification' of baseball. Now we are blaming Bautista.

As for Odor, it's not his first 'push and punch' fight..
https://youtu.be/Wt5eZJWMELo
(notice his very late slide)

He's also been know to slide in hard at second...
https://youtu.be/NPl9Fi_l_F8
(That slide looks more "intentional" than Bautista's)

Both times Odor went in very late, both times worse than Bautista in my opinion
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Mon May 16, 2016 2:44 pm

meh. not going to bust his balls for that. he was 17 for christ's sake.

i don't have a dog in the fight(pun intended). other than, i'm glad joey, edwin, josh, etc have shared their "secret" with smoak

Roger Dorn

Post by Roger Dorn » Mon May 16, 2016 2:52 pm

Navel Lint wrote:I'm not saying Joey Bats is all innocent......
On the other hand, he has walked to the plate 33 times over 7 games this year just waiting to be hit by a pitch. When it finally came, he took his beaning and went to first.... he didn't charge the mound.

Then he went in hard at second to break up the double-play.... last season we would have been calling Odor a crybaby and talking about the 'wussification' of baseball. Now we are blaming Bautista.

He's also been know to slide in hard at second...
https://youtu.be/NPl9Fi_l_F8
(That slide looks more "intentional" than Bautista's)

Both times Odor went in very late, both times worse than Bautista in my opinion
+100%

Rainiers

Post by Rainiers » Mon May 16, 2016 2:58 pm

Navel Lint wrote:

Thanks for posting the youtube. Entertaining.

Odor took on two guys in that video, both much bigger. If I had to bet on one or the other in a boxing match, I'd easily take Odor over Bats. Side bet on the TKO. Just saying.
- Robert

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon May 16, 2016 3:25 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Bautista could've caused a serious injury with his slide, Odor's punch wasn't going to knock Bautista out for the season.

I'd give them both 1-3 games. Hopefully Manfred doesn't roll over to media pressure and make this more than it is.
Yah Mule wrote: Bautista was striding towards Odor with a pissed off look on his face talking shit. He didn't get sucker punched, he got punched. If Bautista leaves the field instead of trying to be a tough guy, he doesn't spend the evening tweeting excuses through one closed eye. The guy who should be suspended is the one who ordered Bush to throw the pitch that precipitated everything. That will never happen because it would address the stupid eye for an eye bullshit that the sport should have left behind years ago.
I don't understand how anyone views this as Bautista being the bad guy. As Russell eloquently stated below, Bautista got blasted in the ribs with a pitch (a baseball act), most likely intentionally, and took it like a man and went to first base without incident. He then committed a BASEBALL ACT of an aggressive, hard slide (though likely illegal according to the new rules & in my opinion a dirty slide) on a double play ball in a one-run baseball game. Odor attempted to take his head off with the throw (a dirty BASEBALL ACT), then committed two CRIMINAL ACTS: a two-handed shove and a punch to the face. Odor turned multiple dirty BASEBALL ACTS into CRIMINAL ACTS and escalated the situation. To compare what Bautista did to the criminal acts of what Odor did and to say that they deserve equal punishment is ridiculous.

I don't know what precedents there are on length of suspensions for punches, but I am sure his prior incident in the minor leagues will be considered as an aggravating factor and my guess is that he will get a double digit suspension. Whatever happens, I have complete confidence in Rob Manfred that he will do what is fair and right and I am just glad the PR man Goodell who is a whore to public opinion with no legal training is not the one making the decisions and that a Harvard trained lawyer is in charge.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Roger Dorn

Post by Roger Dorn » Mon May 16, 2016 3:36 pm

even the dbags are bigger in Texas

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 16, 2016 3:52 pm

COZ wrote: I don't understand how anyone views this as Bautista being the bad guy. As Russell eloquently stated below, Bautista got blasted in the ribs with a pitch (a baseball act), most likely intentionally, and took it like a man and went to first base without incident. He then committed a BASEBALL ACT of an aggressive, hard slide (though likely illegal according to the new rules & in my opinion a dirty slide) on a double play ball in a one-run baseball game. Odor attempted to take his head off with the throw (a dirty BASEBALL ACT), then committed two CRIMINAL ACTS: a two-handed shove and a punch to the face. Odor turned multiple dirty BASEBALL ACTS into CRIMINAL ACTS and escalated the situation. To compare what Bautista did to the criminal acts of what Odor did and to say that they deserve equal punishment is ridiculous.

I don't know what precedents there are on length of suspensions for punches, but I am sure his prior incident in the minor leagues will be considered as an aggravating factor and my guess is that he will get a double digit suspension. Whatever happens, I have complete confidence in Rob Manfred that he will do what is fair and right and I am just glad the PR man Goodell who is a whore to public opinion with no legal training is not the one making the decisions and that a Harvard trained lawyer is in charge.
You're not gonna tear up a guy's knee with a face punch, you might when you barrel into his knees.

Both crossed the line of aggressive baseball, Bautista by rule and Odor by punch. Suspend both a couple games and move on. If they do it again lengthen any suspension next time. If a late slide DL's a guy I'd consider a suspension of 50% of the DL time.

Carlos Quentin got 8 games for breaking Greinke in half. Utley got 2 games for shredding Tejada's knee ... and it was overturned. Bautista got a sore jaw and deserved it. Anything over a couple of games should fall under the wussification label. Let the punishment fit the crime, minimal harm and minimal foul.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 16, 2016 4:22 pm

Navel Lint wrote: he went in hard at second to break up the double-play....Last year, we'd be talking about the 'wussification' of baseball.
Bautista admitted to 'trying to send a message' with his slide. Breaking up the double play, an afterthought.
That message he sent was received and answered.
Both sides were out for their pound of flesh.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!