Odor

BK METS

Re: Odor

Post by BK METS » Mon May 16, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't understand some of the logic here. Odor gets his legs taken out and both guys get into boxing mode. Odor lands a great punch. If he missed, would it have been a lesser offense? Both guys were fighting. Bautista didn't throw a punch. He didn't have a chance to. Might we say that Adrian Beltre saved Bautista a suspension then? And what about Matt Bush? Wasn't he a #1 pick that ended up in jail for 3 years? Interesting that he is the one to hit Bautista.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

what- exactly- does any of this have to do with politics in general and curt schilling or Donald trump in particular- huh?

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 16, 2016 5:55 pm

headhunters wrote:what- exactly- does any of this have to do with politics in general and curt schilling or Donald trump in particular- huh?
Have patience ... we'll get there. :mrgreen:

rickerbockerNFBC

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Mon May 16, 2016 5:57 pm

IMHO, Bautista should be the one suspended for the most games. If Bautista slides, then jogs off the field towards the dugout then none of it happens. Instead Bautista squared off against Odor and Odor pushed him back. Then, again, Bautista comes forward, raises his hand, and then Odor clock him in self defense. Then, of course, Bautista runs away. While Beltre held him, he also didn't want anything to do with him as well.

Bautista initiated the incident with a completely dirty slide with the intent of hurting someone. Then, instead of running of the field, squared up against the fielder and aggressively came towards the fielder. The fielder simply defended himself. Then, Bautista realizing he wasn't man enough, decided to run away.

Roger Dorn

Post by Roger Dorn » Mon May 16, 2016 6:17 pm

headhunters wrote:what- exactly- does any of this have to do with politics in general and curt schilling or Donald trump in particular- huh?

Plenty.

A wall would be the most logical solution. A great magical wall.

Navel Lint

Post by Navel Lint » Mon May 16, 2016 6:58 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Navel Lint wrote: he went in hard at second to break up the double-play....Last year, we'd be talking about the 'wussification' of baseball.
Bautista admitted to 'trying to send a message' with his slide. Breaking up the double play, an afterthought.
That message he sent was received and answered.
Both sides were out for their pound of flesh.
I heard a lot of tough talk from a lot of players .........After
Russel -Navel Lint

"Fans don't boo nobodies"
-Reggie Jackson

Cotton1

Post by Cotton1 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:34 pm

Go back and watch videos of Frank Robinson sliding hard into second base or the Pete Rose slide into Bud Harrelson. Whata buncha pussies today
rusty
"can i call you rusty?"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 16, 2016 7:54 pm

Cotton1 wrote:Go back and watch videos of Frank Robinson sliding hard into second base or the Pete Rose slide into Bud Harrelson. Whata buncha pussies today
Yeah, Pete was such a badass. The only two fights of his career came against 135 pound Harrelson and 130 pound Rick Auerbach.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 16, 2016 7:55 pm

Beltre deserves the opposite of a suspension.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Mon May 16, 2016 8:02 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Beltre deserves the opposite of a suspension.
Force him to continue to play.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 16, 2016 8:07 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
MLB will suspend the next Ranger to touch his head after a homer.

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:
MLB will suspend the next Ranger to touch his head after a homer.
MLB will declare such a player to be Beltre McBeltreFace and make him commissioner.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue May 17, 2016 1:07 pm

8 games for Odor. He will appeal.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue May 17, 2016 1:42 pm

Kind of lame that MLB is going to trickle out the information.

A side note. Bautista follows 720,000 people on Twitter. :lol:

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Tue May 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Spoken like a true defense attorney, Coz!!
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Tue May 17, 2016 3:40 pm

I'd been calling him 'Roughneck' for awhile. My thanks for making it appropriate.

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Tue May 17, 2016 4:47 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Kind of lame that MLB is going to trickle out the information.

A side note. Bautista follows 720,000 people on Twitter. :lol:
That's 719,999 and me! It stems from the ridiculous 2014 Face of MLB contest where Eric Sogard beat out Bautista. It was a big Internet thing and Bautista followed everyone.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

marknym

Post by marknym » Tue May 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Warning this is super-silly - but I edited a mashup of Odor vs Bautista and The Karate Kid Part II for kicks. Thought some NFBCers might share the cheap laugh with me.

https://youtu.be/K5ksKfqiEuk
Mark Evans

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue May 17, 2016 5:48 pm

The Mighty Men wrote:Spoken like a true defense attorney, Coz!!
Yeah, but it's a bit of role reversal as usually I'm the one defending the thug (Odor) and blaming the victim (Bautista). Didn't realize there were so many the-victim-asked-for-it types amongst the NFBC family, let alone to see KJ & Jim align on the same side of this issue. Me thinks they must be Odor owners.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 pm

COZ wrote:
Yeah, but it's a bit of role reversal as usually I'm the one defending the thug (Odor) and blaming the victim (Bautista). Didn't realize there were so many the-victim-asked-for-it types amongst the NFBC family, let alone to see KJ & Jim align on the same side of this issue. Me thinks they must be Odor owners.
While it is true I own several shares of Rougned and none of Resting Bitch Face, it doesn't change my unimpeachable impartiality, counselor. :)

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 17, 2016 6:56 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
COZ wrote:
While it is true I own several shares of Rougned and none of Resting Bitch Face, it doesn't change my unimpeachable impartiality, counselor. :)
One Odor and One Bautista for me, so I'm a neutral party to this suspension travesty. It's clear that the commish gives style points for a good punch while taking pity on the punch drunk.

COZ

Post by COZ » Tue May 17, 2016 7:23 pm

KJ Duke wrote:It's clear that the commish gives style points for a good punch while taking pity on the punch drunk.
This notion that Odor is being punished unfairly just because he connected and that a thrown punch should be treated the same irregardless of the result is flat wrong and unsupported by any theory of criminal and common law dating back centuries.

A punch that misses = Assault
A punch that connects = Battery
A punch that connects + results in great bodily harm = Aggravated Battery (Felony)
A punch that connects + results in death = Manslaughter (Felony)

The mental intent (to throw a punch) is the same on each incident listed above, the only thing different is the result. There are countless other examples of criminal acts I could list all which are given significantly different punishments simply because of the result.

As Karl Ravech noted this was the exact same type of incident as Michael Barret jacking Aj Pierzynski in the Cubs/ Sox game some years ago. Barret got 10 games which was upheld on appeal. Odor deserved the same.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 pm

COZ wrote:
KJ Duke wrote:It's clear that the commish gives style points for a good punch while taking pity on the punch drunk.
This notion that Odor is being punished unfairly just because he connected and that a thrown punch should be treated the same irregardless of the result is flat wrong and unsupported by any theory of criminal and common law dating back centuries.

A punch that connects + results in great bodily harm = Aggravated Battery (Felony)

The mental intent (to throw a punch) is the same on each incident listed above, the only thing different is the result. There are countless other examples of criminal acts I could list all which are given significantly different punishments simply because of the result.

As Karl Ravech noted this was the exact same type of incident as Michael Barret jacking Aj Pierzynski in the Cubs/ Sox game some years ago. Barret got 10 games which was upheld on appeal. Odor deserved the same.
There have been many, many punches thrown and missed or poorly landed that resulted in no or minimal penalty.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

COZ wrote:

Disagree - Should be reduced to 3 games or less and probably will be. Since it was the punch seen around the world, the suspension was overblown. Bottom line is, he was reacting to an intent to injure. It wasn't simply a punch for no reason... That should be taken into account and I believe will, on appeal.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue May 17, 2016 9:43 pm

Yah Mule wrote:Yeah, Pete was such a badass. The only two fights of his career came against 135 pound Harrelson and 130 pound Rick Auerbach.
The reason for this is simple. Rose likely had big money bet on the "underdogs" in each fight and intended to throw those fights in order to cash in and feed his gambling addiction. Probably was getting great odds against the lightweights.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz