Things we don't see in the box score ...

KJ Duke

Things we don't see in the box score ...

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 pm

Gio has pitched poorly the last few times out. Tonight he could've had a 7-inning shutout Win with 10 Ks.

Instead another loss and 3 ER allowed ... all because of a dropped ball on a "should've" inning-ending DP in the first. A few of Giles early disasters were similar circumstances. Bad defense hurts a lot sometimes. :evil:

Money

Re: Things we don't see in the box score ...

Post by Money » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:03 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Gio has pitched poorly the last few times out. Tonight he could've had a 7-inning shutout Win with 10 Ks.

Instead another loss and 3 ER allowed ... all because of a dropped ball on a "should've" inning-ending DP in the first. A few of Giles early disasters were similar circumstances. Bad defense hurts a lot sometimes. :evil:
IMG_2289.JPG
IMG_2289.JPG (11.79 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Happens every day to every fantasy team. As the wisest man on these boards has stated over and over, no one cares.
Joe

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:22 pm

Money wrote: Happens every day to every fantasy team.

That's exactly my point, jackass. Try reading the thread title and put one and one together.

Money

Post by Money » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:31 pm

KJ Duke wrote:
Money wrote: Happens every day to every fantasy team.

That's exactly my point, jackass. Try reading the thread title and put one and one together.
And now they care....
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (10.14 KiB) Viewed 4109 times
Joe

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:44 pm

Post all the baby pics you want, it's not going to cover your relentless stupidity.

Driver Love

Post by Driver Love » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:14 am

For the record, I would not say no one cares. I care. I did not know he pitched well and got thumbed by some bad breaks. I do not have him rostered so he isn't a pitcher I follow but in a home league, maybe I would consider trading for a guy who via a few bad breaks has numbers that looks worse than they should be. Of course it happens to everyone. That is stating the obvious. The title of the thread was things we don't see in the box score. Then things we do not see in the box score that impact the box score were posted. Not sure why that would need to be mocked.

I started a "venting misery" thread in past and it was relatively active. Sometimes bitching about bad fantasy sports fortune is therapeutic. Not sure why that would bother anyone.

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:04 am

kj's dog is a lot better looking than that baby.

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:06 am

Driver Love wrote:For the record, I would not say no one cares. I care. I did not know he pitched well and got thumbed by some bad breaks. I do not have him rostered so he isn't a pitcher I follow but in a home league, maybe I would consider trading for a guy who via a few bad breaks has numbers that looks worse than they should be. Of course it happens to everyone. That is stating the obvious. The title of the thread was things we don't see in the box score. Then things we do not see in the box score that impact the box score were posted. Not sure why that would need to be mocked.

I started a "venting misery" thread in past and it was relatively active. Sometimes bitching about bad fantasy sports fortune is therapeutic. Not sure why that would bother anyone.
I appreciated the insight. Rostered him on one team and his last 2 starts were miserable. Had to consider whether it was worth another bad start or to look elsewhere. I was happy to see the 10 K's, but feel better knowing that the 3ER were suspect.
This gives me hope he may have turned the corner and is back on track. Thanks for the info!

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:06 am

Driver Love wrote:For the record, I would not say no one cares. I care. I did not know he pitched well and got thumbed by some bad breaks. I do not have him rostered so he isn't a pitcher I follow but in a home league, maybe I would consider trading for a guy who via a few bad breaks has numbers that looks worse than they should be. Of course it happens to everyone. That is stating the obvious. The title of the thread was things we don't see in the box score. Then things we do not see in the box score that impact the box score were posted. Not sure why that would need to be mocked.

We must consider the source of the "no one cares" comment. In this case, its a comment from someone who cannot be taken seriously and only looking into stirring the pot. Carry on... :D

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:11 pm

The catalyst for this thread are the rotoworld-type commentaries like "this guy twirled a gem", or "this guy got pounded", etc, knowing that a lot of times those comments are coming from someone that just glanced at a box score ..... when in reality when you watch games rather than just box scores you sometimes get a different picture.

Counter to the Gio example, there are plenty of instances of good pitcher lines where the guy pitched to a bunch of line drives that went at someone, or a great defensive play or plays helped avoid a disastrous inning/outing ... and these are things to bank when deciding who to start next time around.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:35 pm

KJ Duke wrote:The catalyst for this thread are the rotoworld-type commentaries like "this guy twirled a gem", or "this guy got pounded", etc, knowing that a lot of times those comments are coming from someone that just glanced at a box score ..... when in reality when you watch games rather than just box scores you sometimes get a different picture.

Counter to the Gio example, there are plenty of instances of good pitcher lines where the guy pitched to a bunch of line drives that went at someone, or a great defensive play or plays helped avoid a disastrous inning/outing ... and these are things to bank when deciding who to start next time around.
Or pretty much every time Bartolo Colon starts. I have no idea how he makes it through. Sometimes it's the plays the pitcher makes himself that is the difference between a great start and a 4 inning 6 run start. Bartolo makes so many plays that don't show up in the box score and then magic.. 7 innings 1 run.

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:14 am

I was at the Nats/Sox game, about 20 rows behind home plate. I thought Gio's command was very poor in the first inning. He even received a trip to the mound from the pitching coach. He pitched pretty well after that, but he deserved the loss.
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:45 am

The Mighty Men wrote:I was at the Nats/Sox game, about 20 rows behind home plate. I thought Gio's command was very poor in the first inning. He even received a trip to the mound from the pitching coach. He pitched pretty well after that, but he deserved the loss.
Yeah he did get hit hard in the first, but with adequate defense he still gets out of it unscathed.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:50 am

I know they're hardly fantasy relevant, but I can watch Goins and Barney up the middle all day.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:36 pm

KJ Duke wrote:The catalyst for this thread are the rotoworld-type commentaries like "this guy twirled a gem", or "this guy got pounded", etc, knowing that a lot of times those comments are coming from someone that just glanced at a box score ..... when in reality when you watch games rather than just box scores you sometimes get a different picture.

What kills me is seeing my pitcher get squeezed on what should have been strike three with men on base. The odds of the hitter blooping in a basehit on the next pitch seem to go up for some reason.