2 More reasons to hate starting lineups

TRAIN

2 More reasons to hate starting lineups

Post by TRAIN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:00 pm

Ken Giles just named the closer - Giles is on my bench till next Monday.

Rich Hill could possibly start vs his old team Boston but no guarantee. Do I waste a lineup spot on him?

It is stuff like this that is basically luck related that will turn people off from playing fantasy baseball.

In both cases in the Cutline best ball format, neither of these situations would even be a concern.
Last edited by TRAIN on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRAIN

Re: 2 More reasons to hate starting lineups

Post by TRAIN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:33 pm

More starting lineup turnoffs tonight.

I benched Brandon Crawford and Makiel Franco for various reasons. So far tonight:

Crawford = 2 for 4, HR, 3 RBI, 2 RUNS
Franco = 4 for 4, HR, 4 RBI, 2 RUNS

Clearly, I am not omniscient, nor should I have to be.

You should get the best stats from amongst ALL of your players that are on your team that you drafted or FAABd.

Having to submit a starting lineup is way too aggravating.

All I can do is hope that the NFBC offers more Cutline best ball format style contests.
Last edited by TRAIN on Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Kansas City SP Chris Young appears on all my DC teams.
After the first half I swore I'd leave him on the bench for the rest of the season.

Tonight he gets the vulture Win.

Where can I sign up for the Cutline?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

cfolson

Post by cfolson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Everyone has this issue. Everybody makes mistakes. I'm pretty sure there is no crystal ball. You can't kill yourself over making the wrong move. It happens. Often. It doesn't make the format worse. You just need to embrace the format.

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Not when there is a better format like the best ball format in the Cutline.

Playing fantasy baseball should be fun, not aggravating.

Having to arbirarily submit a starting lineup is not fun, too often aggravating, and is too luck related.

Bama

Post by Bama » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:33 am

Why don't you just stick with the cutline and quit with all the g damn bitching. Making the right plays is what separates the men from

The boys.

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:46 am

Hey, buddy - if you don't like my posts, then don't read them.

So, you think that setting a starting lineup makes you a man? That's a good one. Excuse me while I laugh.

As far as making the right moves, those are done when you draft the right players and target the right players in FAAB - not because you guessed right when you submitted your starting lineup.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:43 am

TRAIN wrote:Hey, buddy - if you don't like my posts, then don't read them.

So, you think that setting a starting lineup makes you a man? That's a good one. Excuse me while I laugh.

As far as making the right moves, those are done when you draft the right players and target the right players in FAAB - not because you guessed right when you submitted your starting lineup.
Sorry, but picking the right starting players is a BIG part of fantasy baseball, fantasy football and all other fantasy sports. You are asking for contests that have just one aspect of the game -- drafting -- and nothing else. I don't think a majority of our players want that and thus we don't offer more than one optimal scoring contest here and likely won't add to that lineup.

Optimal scoring leagues have a place in baseball and football. They allow people to draft more teams and enjoy the hobby more. They work for people who don't have time to pick up free agents 26 times a year or set starting lineups 26 times a year. But they are a niche side game that we offer.

We're not going to cut into our other contests by changing them to optimal scoring formats. Sorry, we're just not. Our Online Championship rewards good drafters and good roster managers. Picking the right starting lineup each week is part of the season-long battle of that contest and all of our contests except the Cutline.

We hope to grow the Cutline in future years as our only optimal scoring contest that we offer, but to expand your case for optimal scoring leagues by bashing contests that use starting lineups seems a bit Trump-ian to me. Nobody wants to hear complaints about leagues that set starting lineups when 99% of fantasy players compete in those types of contests.

Good luck in the Cutline.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:08 am

Greg - I really am not asking you to change other contests and make them all best ball. I am asking you to add more contests that have the best ball format with some differences from the Cutline (like adding weekly FAAB and making them all season long instead of being eliminated at the All Star break).

The reason that 99% of players compete in starting lineup contests is because that is all that is offered.

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 am

TRAIN wrote: The reason that 99% of players compete in starting lineup contests is because that is all that is offered.
You could argue this point, but you'd be wrong.

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:39 am

TRAIN wrote:Hey, buddy - if you don't like my posts, then don't read them.

So drafting/adding the right players is not guessing but deciding who to start after they are acquired is? I need to remember that logic for the next time I have a losing year.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:16 am

One can say that whoever is left for you to draft each round is luck as well.
Why not have the computer auto-draft as well?
In this way, there will be absolutely no human input at all!
Have we reached the year '2525'?-
'Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
Your legs got nothin' to do
Some machine's doin' that for you'

I had Altherr benched last night. Somebody else had Bundy benched last night. You had Franco and Crawford benched.
You look at these as all negatives.
They're not.
They're part of this wonderful game that drives us all crazy.
Sure, it makes us upset when we have productive players on our bench. BUT, the same is happening for our competition.
You are trying to ease your pain.
A Field of Dreams.

Undercutting a part of other games is not a way to go about asking for new games.
Most of your posts are about Cutline.
You love it.
Some might even say that Train has a one track mind.
(Pun, so very much intended)
Keep loving it.
But don't think that 99% only play other games because that is what we have.
We love these games as much as you love Cutline.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:34 am

Train, what makes the NFBC great is the variety of contests offered and Greg's open attitude towards input from the community. If you came up with another new contest that also implemented optimal lineups like the Cutline format, you would find them receptive to at least consider your ideas.

Personally, I really didn't enjoy the Cutline format as much because the roto format is just part of my DNA. Even though the point system that was arrived at does a very good job of approximating 5X5, I just like managing the individual categories. For that reason, I will probably only play a couple Cutline leagues next year, but I'm glad that the format was a success. I'm also enjoying watching some of the best players in the NFBC battle for this year's championship.

jvetter

Post by jvetter » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:41 am

TRAIN wrote:Greg - I really am not asking you to change other contests and make them all best ball. I am asking you to add more contests that have the best ball format with some differences from the Cutline (like adding weekly FAAB and making them all season long instead of being eliminated at the All Star break).

The reason that 99% of players compete in starting lineup contests is because that is all that is offered.
I love setting lineups every week. Keeps me more involved.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:21 am

TRAIN wrote:It is stuff like this that is basically luck related that will turn people off from playing fantasy baseball.
Managing a fantasy baseball team is similar to managing your life. Good and bad things happen along the way. If you are having trouble handling the frustration of playing a GAME, how do U handle REAL LIFE frustrations?

I suggest not dwelling on the past. Constantly look to improve moving forward. And this is coming from an owner who just lost T.Story, A.Diaz, J.Reyes and Y.Cespedes in the course of a few days on a SINGLE team

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:41 am

Gekko wrote:
TRAIN wrote:It is stuff like this that is basically luck related that will turn people off from playing fantasy baseball.
Managing a fantasy baseball team is similar to managing your life. Good and bad things happen along the way. If you are having trouble handling the frustration of playing a GAME, how do U handle REAL LIFE frustrations?
Similar to how I handle Fantasy Baseball frustrations, I typically curl up into the fetal position and cry. Once I realize that doesn't solve anything, I attempt to manipulate my internalized feelings of fantasy-baseball-inadequacy by portraying myself as a victim of the racist white patriarchial fantasy baseball community and its unfair rules and blame everyone who doesn't recognize that I have been unfairly victimized simply because I self-identify as a non-anayltical fantasy baseball simpleton & am discriminated against by those who refuse to recognize & renounce their fantasy baseball analytical privilege. For all the money I spend on this stupid, unfair game, I deserve something from all you greedy unfair people.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

The Mighty Men

Post by The Mighty Men » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:35 pm

COZ wrote:
Gekko wrote:
Similar to how I handle Fantasy Baseball frustrations, I typically curl up into the fetal position and cry. Once I realize that doesn't solve anything, I attempt to manipulate my internalized feelings of fantasy-baseball-inadequacy by portraying myself as a victim of the racist white patriarchial fantasy baseball community and its unfair rules and blame everyone who doesn't recognize that I have been unfairly victimized simply because I self-identify as a non-anayltical fantasy baseball simpleton & am discriminated against by those who refuse to recognize & renounce their fantasy baseball analytical privilege. For all the money I spend on this stupid, unfair game, I deserve something from all you greedy unfair people.
I admit it, Coz, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Vegas this year for football. And PLEASE, I beg you, bring this attitude to the Super Auction and let the comments fly! :lol: Jack
Who is this, robed in splendor, striding forward in the greatness of his strength? “It is I, proclaiming victory, mighty to save.” Isaiah 63:1

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:04 pm

Thanks for all the love guys (not).

Teufel - I guess I just don't see the skill involved in setting a starting lineup for a 4-7 day period when you have no control over the unforseen circumstances that inevitably come up during that time.

I do see the skill, analysis, and judgement it takes when drafting and doing FAAB because you are totally in control of who you draft or target in FAAB - with good backup plans in drafting and solid contingencies in FAAB.

Gekko - When did you become a psychiatrist?

I handle real life's frustrations just fine. Having to submit a starting lineup to see it get blown up by unknowable factors after I submit it, that's a frustration I do not need. I can live without it.

Doughboys - Sorry, Doughboys. I don't play fantasy baseball to be driven crazy.

Just because I know that other people are suffering from bad lineup decisions as well as me, doesn't bring me any comfort or make me less aggravated. I did appreciate your pun though.

Yah Mule - That was a great post.

COZ - What in the world was that?

I think I have stated my case enough on here as to why I think the best ball format is more enjoyable and less luck dependent than having to submit a starting lineup each week. If I have offended anyone who really loves submitting starting lineups and possibly has a system set up that can somehow overcome the unknowable things that happen each week after we submit our lineups, please accept my apology.

Greg - You won't hear another word from me on this subject.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:51 pm

TRAIN wrote:

Gekko - When did you become a psychiatrist?

I handle real life's frustrations just fine. Having to submit a starting lineup to see it get blown up by unknowable factors after I submit it, that's a frustration I do not need. I can live without it.
difficult for me to believe your claim...since there are for more "unknowable factors" that can impact your real life than your fantasy baseball team. LOL

you have a victim mentality. don't be a victim anymore. play cutline leagues only. i do wonder if you play only cutline leagues and don't have success, would it be your fault?

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Gekko wrote:And this is coming from an owner who just lost T.Story, A.Diaz, J.Reyes and Y.Cespedes in the course of a few days on a SINGLE team
No victim mentality with me. But this post of yours sure sounds like one. Oh, poor me. I just lost all these players on a SINGLE team. Wah, wah. Let me get you a handkerchef..

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:12 pm

The Mighty Men wrote: I admit it, Coz, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Vegas this year for football. And PLEASE, I beg you, bring this attitude to the Super Auction and let the comments fly! :lol: Jack
Don't encourage me, Jack. :lol: Really looking forward to seeing you as well and looking forward to that Super Auction. Couldn't resist signing up for that, quite a crew lined up for that. I just hope Greg has some "safeplaces" set aside to deal with all the micro-aggressions likely to ensue (and, most likely, once I get into the bourbon....Macro-aggressions).
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

COZ

Post by COZ » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:30 pm

TRAIN wrote:COZ - What in the world was that?
My faux rant was more of a non-sequitur to this whole thread and just more of a sarcastic statement on the current PC-I-am-a-victim-climate rampant in our society and particularly in our schools & amongst the youth, but it wasn't ever intended to be directed to you or anything you said really. It was more of a sarcastic rant directed toward the lack of personal responsibility & accountability running rampant in our society and the need to blame everyone else for one's own personal failures. But the mere fact that you didn't find it funny & that I even need to explain this, means you didn't get it, but I will take the blame for that. ;)

Further Affiant Sayeth Naught.
COZ

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:15 pm

TRAIN wrote:
Gekko wrote:And this is coming from an owner who just lost T.Story, A.Diaz, J.Reyes and Y.Cespedes in the course of a few days on a SINGLE team
No victim mentality with me. But this post of yours sure sounds like one. Oh, poor me. I just lost all these players on a SINGLE team. Wah, wah. Let me get you a handkerchef..
not at all. i had a feeling most if not all of them would be DL bound and picked up viable replacement players on sunday.

this post, on the other hand clearly displays a person not able to handle the simple ups and downs of a GAME/HOBBY. good luck in real life :lol: ;)
TRAIN wrote:Ken Giles just named the closer - Giles is on my bench till next Monday.

Rich Hill could possibly start vs his old team Boston but no guarantee. Do I waste a lineup spot on him?

It is stuff like this that is basically luck related that will turn people off from playing fantasy baseball.

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:33 pm

You conveniently left off the final sentence of that post: "In both cases in the Cutline best ball format, neither of these situations would even be a concern.". That was the point I was making.

You better get a refund from that Psychiatry course you took. You're not very good at it.
Gekko wrote:not at all. i had a feeling most if not all of them would be DL bound and picked up viable replacement players on sunday.
Aren't you wonderful.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:38 pm

TRAIN wrote:You conveniently left off the final sentence of that post: "In both cases in the Cutline best ball format, neither of these situations would even be a concern.". That was the point I was making.

You better get a refund from that Psychiatry course you took. You're not very good at it.
Gekko wrote:not at all. i had a feeling most if not all of them would be DL bound and picked up viable replacement players on sunday.
Aren't you wonderful.
i musta got "lucky" to have realized what was going on :lol: :roll: :lol: