Alex Rodriguez Last Game

DOUGHBOYS

Alex Rodriguez Last Game

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:34 pm

Is it just me?
Or is this ARod thing just weird.
We've had the Derek Jeter victory tour.
David Ortiz is doing the same this year.
ARod doesn't get a last lap, he gets a finish line.
A last game.

We all probably know what went on behind the scenes.
Yankee management approaches ARod and says, "Alex, we want to designate you for assignment, but we want it to look more graceful."
Alex says, "I'm getting paid either way, what do you have in mind?"
"We set up a last game for you and then make up some job for you in management. Sound good?"
"Can I play shortstop?"
"No."
Can I play third base?"
"No."
"Oh....I guess it does look better for me to go out this way.
And I'm getting paid either way.
Let's do it."

Let's face it, few are going to be teary-eyed about ARod leaving the game.
If there is one current player who followed Barry Bonds path in every way, that player would be Alex Rodriguez.
ARod is belittled more than beloved.
Like Bonds, he is only applauded in his home ball park.
ARod helped the Yankees win a pennant. They feel they owe him something (besides the millions).
This is there something.

As fans, we look at it with questioning eyes and then a shrug of the shoulder.
Most, not even taking the time to peek in at a last at bat.
One of the side effects of Performance enhancing drugs is DLA.
Denial, Lies and Arrogance.
Bonds, Braun, and Palmeiro, and ARod are and always will be followed by big BUTs.
Bonds had great stats, BUT....
ARod had great stats, BUT....
Denial, Lies, and arrogance.
That is what is most remembered.
In the meantime, the performance enhancement itself, fades.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

TOXIC ASSETS

Re: Alex Rodriguez Last Game

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:53 am

AROD gone.
Good.
He'll be remembered as a cheater and liar.
No place in the HOF for him, I don't care how many home runs he hit.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:16 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:AROD gone.
Good.
He'll be remembered as a cheater and liar.
No place in the HOF for him, I don't care how many home runs he hit.
Agreed. It feels more like the end of an error than an era.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:39 am

The Yankee fans were very good to him through this entire ordeal. Especially last night. I would admit that I respect him for saying the right things and being humbled by the sendoff. We all make multiple mistakes.

The Joe Girardi interview after the game was probably the most emotional part for me. I didn't expect him to be so emotional, even more so than AROD. I gained some big time respect for Girardi last night. He took a stance to not play him most of the week but in the end, he made it special for him. I don't care for AROD but the moment with his daughters and the Girardi interview made me teary eyed, even as a Met fan. The man has had many ups and downs and it is sad that he likely would have been a hall of fame player without the steroids.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:56 am

If Bud Selig can get a statue, than it's probably time to forgive everybody involved in the steroid era. The only two guys to bat over .350 as 20 years olds were Ty Cobb and Rodriguez. The only two guys with 3000 hits and 2000 RBI are Hank Aaron and Rodriguez. Keeping him out of Cooperstown will be another black eye for the increasingly self-marginalized Hall of Fame. So, I'm sure that's what they'll do.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:54 am

Not an ARod fan...all I can say is bye-bye, dickless...

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I don't agree with the 'if he wouldn't have'... or the 'he would have been in the Hall if....' comments at all.
There was a certain point in time when Barry Bonds started taking steroids. We could see the change both in his physique and his power stats.
He wanted the adulation that Sosa and McGwire were getting.
A clear cut choice.
There are those that say that ARod has taken PED's since high school or soon thereafter.
Who knows if we ever saw him when he did NOT cheat.
Some say they want to write it off as a bad decision or mistake.
There was no mistake. It was a path he chose.
It was a life decision.
A baseball life decision.
He made millions upon millions of dollars with that life decision.
Now, some want us to remember him as a fellow who made mistakes.
There was no mistake about it.
He can't have his cake (the millions upon millions) and eat it too (public adoration, respect for his stats, Hall of Fame consideration).
ARod chose his path at an early age.
I'd say the benefits in his life from that decision, have far outweighed the detriments for ARod.
On my tombstone-

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:45 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I don't agree with the 'if he wouldn't have'... or the 'he would have been in the Hall if....' comments at all.
There was a certain point in time when Barry Bonds started taking steroids. We could see the change both in his physique and his power stats.
He wanted the adulation that Sosa and McGwire were getting.
A clear cut choice.
There are those that say that ARod has taken PED's since high school or soon thereafter.
Who knows if we ever saw him when he did NOT cheat.
Some say they want to write it off as a bad decision or mistake.
There was no mistake. It was a path he chose.
It was a life decision.
A baseball life decision.
He made millions upon millions of dollars with that life decision.
Now, some want us to remember him as a fellow who made mistakes.
There was no mistake about it.
He can't have his cake (the millions upon millions) and eat it too (public adoration, respect for his stats, Hall of Fame consideration).
ARod chose his path at an early age.
I'd say the benefits in his life from that decision, have far outweighed the detriments for ARod.
You can use my name next time, my friend, since obviously this was a comment directed towards my comments.

He didnt kill anyone. He didnt abuse his wife or kids. He didn't commit a crime. He did what probably 50% or more players did during that time frame, but weren't caught. He will forever be known as a cheater. Nothing he can do about that. That's his fault. He will likely never make it into the hall of fame. But, he has attempted to put his life back together. Lets not make him out to be any worse than all of the other cheaters. He just was in the spotlight because he was a superstar.

But hey, lets celebrate David Ortiz on his retirement tour..... he obviously did nothing wrong. :roll:

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:19 pm

'But he has attempted to put his life back together'
?

Zillions upon zillions woud give their left nut to be ARod!
Put his life together?
Because he was actually caught?
Because of public outrage/perception?
Because he can be less arrogant now that the magic potion doesn't work any more?
Ugh.

He did what probably 50% or more players did during that time frame, but weren't caught.

You had a few posts about Hillary being dishonest. Should I dismiss that dishonesty by saying that most politicians are dishonest?
Diminish it by saying that she's in a group that lie?
As a public, we take each case and each person to task on previous record and their actions.
Like Hilary, we know what we've got in ARod.
ARod is what he is.
Same as he ever was.
If you think a lot of him, Alan, go for it!
I cannot.
On my tombstone-

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:38 am

bk- I just feel you are totally wrong. there is zero reason to believe he has gotten his life together. the people that know him best- his ex wife, his bosses, his manager ,his team mates, pretty much hate the guy. as far as "50% cheat so it is ok"? I suppose if you have kids and they come home and say - dad- 50% of the kids are cheating on tests or "fill in the blank" it is ok. I just fell to take your morality by saying 50% or 90" do something it is ok- is just not the way to go about it. AND players like paul konerko have spoken out about how the cheaters affected them- big time- and he included Ortiz. many people in many sports are really affected by those that cheat. the guy is, was, and always will be, a douche.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:40 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:'But he has attempted to put his life back together'
?

Zillions upon zillions woud give their left nut to be ARod!
Put his life together?
Because he was actually caught?
Because of public outrage/perception?
Because he can be less arrogant now that the magic potion doesn't work any more?
Ugh.

He did what probably 50% or more players did during that time frame, but weren't caught.

You had a few posts about Hillary being dishonest. Should I dismiss that dishonesty by saying that most politicians are dishonest?
Diminish it by saying that she's in a group that lie?
As a public, we take each case and each person to task on previous record and their actions.
Like Hilary, we know what we've got in ARod.
ARod is what he is.
Same as he ever was.
If you think a lot of him, Alan, go for it!
I cannot.
Never said I liked the guy. I just think its odd that he is the poster boy for what's wrong with baseball and yet guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire are hitting coaches and David Ortiz is celebrated. I think as the steroid era went down, we chose to tear apart certain guys, but give others a pass. How many other guys who took steroids, actually admitted it and tried to make amends? Not many.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:00 pm

BK METS wrote:Never said I liked the guy. I just think its odd that he is the poster boy for what's wrong with baseball and yet guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire are hitting coaches and David Ortiz is celebrated. I think as the steroid era went down, we chose to tear apart certain guys, but give others a pass. How many other guys who took steroids, actually admitted it and tried to make amends? Not many.
I think we're all culpable, Alan. Back in 1998 when Steve Wilstein pointed out that bottle of Androstendione in Big Mac's locker nobody wanted to hear about it. We were all too busy acting like awe struck little kids over those majestic home runs. Anybody here who tries to claim they didn't get caught up in the home run race in '98 probably has a very selective memory.

BK METS

Post by BK METS » Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Yah Mule wrote:
BK METS wrote:Never said I liked the guy. I just think its odd that he is the poster boy for what's wrong with baseball and yet guys like Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire are hitting coaches and David Ortiz is celebrated. I think as the steroid era went down, we chose to tear apart certain guys, but give others a pass. How many other guys who took steroids, actually admitted it and tried to make amends? Not many.
I think we're all culpable, Alan. Back in 1998 when Steve Wilstein pointed out that bottle of Androstendione in Big Mac's locker nobody wanted to hear about it. We were all too busy acting like awe struck little kids over those majestic home runs. Anybody here who tries to claim they didn't get caught up in the home run race in '98 probably has a very selective memory.
I completely agree... everyone watched the Sosa/McGuire home run race. The Commissioner, as much as anyone, let this happen forever, because it was good for ratings. In the end, he can take a huge part of the blame.