Re: Jose Fernandez deceased

Post by mkosmoski » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 am

I also just read that

My God, way too young to be Playing your next Game in Heaven

Say a Prayer for a Fallen Brother.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:43 am

So sad. Devastating for his family, friends, teammates, team and baseball fans. Tremendous talent, tragic loss. Way, way too young.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:15 am

What a heartbreaking loss for his family and baseball fans everywhere. I feel like throwing up right now.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 am

As a Cardinal fan who was overwhelmed whenever Oscar Taveras died I know what the feeling is like. I think we are all affected whenever a young person dies like this. Just a punch in the gut that's inexplicable. Just a horrible tragedy.

MadCow Sez

Post by MadCow Sez » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:36 am

Triggers memories of Steve Olin. Prayers to Fernandez' family
People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
--Rogers Hornsby

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 am

Ironic in that Fernandez boated to freedom, then died boating while enjoying that freedom.
It's a sad day for baseball, baseball fans, and those that loved him.
He is robbed of a rich, full life and we are robbed of seeing what he would have done with the early part of that life.
A damn shame.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Spartacus

Post by Spartacus » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:59 am

This is sad beyond words......
bob

TRAIN

Post by TRAIN » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:15 am

Jose was one of my favorite players in all of baseball.

I respected the courage he displayed when leaving his home country of Cuba and all of the ordeals that he had to go through.

I loved the passion he showed whenever he took the mound.

A truly exciting player to watch.

I pray that he is in a better place now.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:50 am

Couldn't even focus on setting football lineups this morning after that. Had to enlist help. Shook me up pretty good. Has a baby on the way, so at least his legacy will carry on. Extremely sad is about all I can say.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:28 am

I can fortunately only imagine what his family, girlfriend and teammates are going through. All reports I read said he was a really nice kid. Based on impact evidence and the severity of damage, officials concluded the 32-foot SeaVee (FYI, that is a fishing boat, not a cigarette boat) hit the rocks at full speed (between 50 and 65 mph).

What the hell were they doing going that fast, that close to shore, that early in the morning?

Senseless and sad.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:44 am

I'm a bit older.....but a bit reminiscent of Thurman Munson and the plane.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:38 pm

This Marlins game tonight is one of the most emotional sporting events I've ever seen. All the Marlins are wearing José Fernández's #16 jersey and they were all on the field before the game. The Mets came across the field and everybody hugged. Dee Gordon, who posted a very poignant goodbye to his friend last night, led off the game for the Marlins. First, he took a pitch batting right handed as a tribute to Fernández, then the 165 pound speedster, wearing José's helmet, hit his first home run of the season. He was already in tears as he rounded the bases. When he disappeared into the Marlins dugout, he needed to go down into the tunnel to compose himself. The entire Marlins bench got caught up in the moment. Bartolo Colon walked off the mound and pretended to use the resin bag while they attended to Gordon. Colon and the Mets have been nothing but class tonight in a game they need for the wild card. The look of determination on the Marlins faces as the game began was really something to see. In the third inning, 280 pound Justin Bour stepped up to the plate and crushed a ball a mile down the right field line, but it was just foul. So, a couple pitches later, the lumbering slugger winds up hitting the first triple of his professional career, major or minor league. There's a magic in the stadium tonight, but still so much pain. The entire Marlins team took buses to the home of Fernández's mother and grandmother just to hug them yesterday.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Yah Mule wrote:This Marlins game tonight is one of the most emotional sporting events I've ever seen. All the Marlins are wearing José Fernández's #16 jersey and they were all on the field before the game. The Mets came across the field and everybody hugged. Dee Gordon, who posted a very poignant goodbye to his friend last night, led off the game for the Marlins. First, he took a pitch batting right handed as a tribute to Fernández, then the 165 pound speedster, wearing José's helmet, hit his first home run of the season. He was already in tears as he rounded the bases. When he disappeared into the Marlins dugout, he needed to go down into the tunnel to compose himself. The entire Marlins bench got caught up in the moment. Bartolo Colon walked off the mound and pretended to use the resin bag while they attended to Gordon. Colon and the Mets have been nothing but class tonight in a game they need for the wild card. The look of determination on the Marlins faces as the game began was really something to see. In the third inning, 280 pound Justin Bour stepped up to the plate and crushed a ball a mile down the right field line, but it was just foul. So, a couple pitches later, the lumbering slugger winds up hitting the first triple of his professional career, major or minor league. There's a magic in the stadium tonight, but still so much pain. The entire Marlins team took buses to the home of Fernández's mother and grandmother just to hug them yesterday.
Totally agree. Very emotional and touching. Mets extremely classy. Was planning to just catch the opening and then switch over to a different game but the beginning was riveting. At the end of the day, however, such a sad story. What a loss.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:37 pm

Yah Mule wrote:This Marlins game tonight is one of the most emotional sporting events I've ever seen. All the Marlins are wearing José Fernández's #16 jersey and they were all on the field before the game. The Mets came across the field and everybody hugged. Dee Gordon, who posted a very poignant goodbye to his friend last night, led off the game for the Marlins. First, he took a pitch batting right handed as a tribute to Fernández, then the 165 pound speedster, wearing José's helmet, hit his first home run of the season. He was already in tears as he rounded the bases. When he disappeared into the Marlins dugout, he needed to go down into the tunnel to compose himself. The entire Marlins bench got caught up in the moment. Bartolo Colon walked off the mound and pretended to use the resin bag while they attended to Gordon. Colon and the Mets have been nothing but class tonight in a game they need for the wild card. The look of determination on the Marlins faces as the game began was really something to see. In the third inning, 280 pound Justin Bour stepped up to the plate and crushed a ball a mile down the right field line, but it was just foul. So, a couple pitches later, the lumbering slugger winds up hitting the first triple of his professional career, major or minor league. There's a magic in the stadium tonight, but still so much pain. The entire Marlins team took buses to the home of Fernández's mother and grandmother just to hug them yesterday.

Thanks for posting all of that.