Congrats to the Cubs!

Edwards Kings

Congrats to the Cubs!

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:57 am

And somewhere Steve Bartman is saying..."Can you people get off my back now!"
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Re: Congrats to the Cubs!

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:28 am

I feel great for Cubs fans. Its been a long time.
With that, passes a history that I was enamored with. I loved the concept of a team that was at times laughable, at times, loveable, and at times, passionate to be something they never could remember being, a winner.
I'm going to miss that team. And while Cubs fans enjoy the winning, later, I'm guessing that they're going to miss the loveableness as well.

About the game, I felt the Cubs won despite Joe Maddon and not because of him. It seemed he was so eager to show how baseball smart that he is, that he jumped the gun on decisions.
Bringing in Lester after Hendricks allowed a walk (his first base runner allowed in nine batters) mid inning?
Having Baez trying to bunt with a 3-2 count after Heyward had just reached third?
His (over)use of Chapman.

But it all doesn't matter. Maddon will be a hero along with the other Cubs.
The Cubs.
They started out as sons of bears.
Then when losing, they were called, 'the Cubbies".
Making them babies of bears.
Loveable.
It all fit.
I, for one, will miss the Loveable Losers. The only other teams that have seemingly lost forever, with little chance of change, have been the basketball Clippers and the football Browns.
Both, as loveable as a tax audit.
The Cubs will have a new mantra. Defender of the title.
We have those in every sport every year.
In time, I believe that winning this Championship will reduce the amount of Cubs fans around America.
In turn, reducing baseball fans as well.
America loves the underdog.
Especially an underdog who has been pounded, trounced, and abused for over 100 years.
Their fans, taking it with a smile on their face and the hope of next year.
The Cubs have now lost that underdog 'status'.
Next year is here.
Now, Champions.
The Cubbies.
Champions.
Imagine that.

The press will say that long suffering Cubs fans have finally tasted victory.
It's true.
Day games at Wrigley Field.
Listening to Jack Brickhouse and Harry Carey.
"Arne, can you find some crazy hats around the ball park?"
"Lets play two!"
Williams, Santo, and Banks.
Fergie Jenkins.
Mike Schmidt on a windy day.
Sandberg and Dawson.
Sandberg vs. Bruce Sutter.
"Root, root, root for the CUBBIES!"
Ron Santo's.... "Arghhhh..... OH NO!"
"JODY...JO DY DAVIS"
"And it's...One, two, three strikes, yer out, at the old ballgame...LET'S GET SOME RUNS!"

THAT is not suffering.
They found joy in losing.
A joy that will now be the past.
I believe that for Cubs fans, the journey was every bit as enjoyable as the destination.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

whale4evr

Post by whale4evr » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:49 am

That rain delay couldn't have been better timed for the Cubs. Allowed them to breathe, relax and regroup. A gift from above maybe? Joe Buck's call was very disappointing. I know he's a Cardinal guy, but he should have said something commemorating the breaking of longest championship drought in history much better than "the Cubs finally win". If there was ever a time for superlatives in sports broadcasting, this was it.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:12 pm

That was fun. :| 8-) :D

Dan, totally agree on Maddon pulling Hendricks. Rarely have I disagreed with Maddon's moves, but I immediately thought that was a mistake. Hendricks is the calmest pitcher they have on the mound; he pitched through errors behind him like nothing happened, made a huge pick-off and fielded his position perfectly. I was thinking get Hendricks thru 6 or 7 and close with Lester, but Joe had him up so early he seemed compelled to use him as soon as possible. Hendricks probably shuts them down with no drama ▬ maybe Joe just wanted to "make the game great again", and he did! ;)

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:19 pm

What a game! I'm dragging today, but it was worth it. Last night's game was not the best played - or the best managed - but in terms of sheer drama, it was near impossible to beat. So much on the line. Two long-suffering teams and fan bases. Good pitching, crappy pitching, clutch hits, questionable managerial decisions, a big lead and then a big comeback, home runs, errors, and an incredibly-timed rain delay to boot. What more can you ask for?

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:13 pm

KJ Duke wrote:That was fun. :| 8-) :D

Dan, totally agree on Maddon pulling Hendricks. Rarely have I disagreed with Maddon's moves, but I immediately thought that was a mistake. Hendricks is the calmest pitcher they have on the mound; he pitched through errors behind him like nothing happened, made a huge pick-off and fielded his position perfectly. I was thinking get Hendricks thru 6 or 7 and close with Lester, but Joe had him up so early he seemed compelled to use him as soon as possible. Hendricks probably shuts them down with no drama ▬ maybe Joe just wanted to "make the game great again", and he did! ;)

Wow! The new photo was quick! You didn't wake the dog up last night to take that did you?

And I too was really confused by the Cubbie 5th inning. Besides what others have said, couldn't you give the guy one more batter to give him a chance to be the winner of a Game 7 of the World Series after having been so dominant and after the ump had blown what clearly should have been a called third strike?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

COZ

Post by COZ » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:20 pm

WARNING: DOUGHBOYS-LIKE POST BELOW. ;) I posted this on FB and felt I should share here.

THIS YEAR.

As I reflect on last night’s win, after reading various sportswriter’s recaps, listening to sports talk radio, & reading everyone’s deeply personal FB posts, I am struck with this deep sense of satisfaction I feel. Satisfaction not just that the Cubs finally won the World Series, but in how they won. And I was particularly struck by a post by my FB friend Matt Voss, a White Sox fan, who stated rather simply, “I’m kind of jealous, when the White Sox swept there wasn’t this much drama.”

And that was it. It hit me. We, as Cub fans, needed to win like this. We needed to experience this drama. We needed to be taken to, as the SCORE’s Matt Spiegel described it, “that dark place.” Collectively, we have had to carry with us the pain from the ’69 Cubs & the black cat, the ’84 Cubs & Leon Durham , the ’03 Cubs & Bartman, & the ’07 & ’08 Cubs getting swept in the 1st round amongst others. And last night, the Cubs again took us to that dark place that, as Joel Sherman would describe Chapman's HR, it felt as if “Steve Bartman came riding in on a goat while holding a black cat.” Forever, we have been mocked as lovable losers, cursed, & described as "not true fans." Yet, THIS YEAR the Cubs looked the curse in the eye & spit in its face.

Consider:

1)In 2003, while up 3-1 in the NLCS against the Marlins, Cubs LOSE the final 3 games including games 6 & 7 at home. THIS YEAR, down 3-1 in the World Series, Cubs WIN the final 3 games with games 6 & 7 on the road.

2)Over 6 months ago & a mere four games into the season, the Cubs lose Kyle Schwarber for the year with a torn ACL & MCL. THIS YEAR, Schwarber miraculously makes it all the way back to not only play in the World Series but play a major role, and despite shredding his knee, actually tallies a stolen base.

3)Aroldis Chapman, who gave up 3 runs in the 8th including the devastating, tying 2-run HR, and with “goat” written all over him, went on to close out the inning. With Cleveland having all the momentum & while losing steam on his fastball, Chapman somehow came back out in the bottom of the 9th to shut down the heart of the Indians line-up with Santana, Kipnis, & Lindor going down in order to keep the Cubs in the game.

4) David Ross, not known for his bat, and one inning after allowing a wild pitch that led to two runs, steps up against the heretofore unhittable Andrew Miller and blasts a shot to the longest part of the stadium for a huge homerun.

These are but a few of the players and moments of redemption that stand out to me. We needed this drama, we needed this struggle. By going to that “dark place,” by seeing the team & its players individually face their demons, it forced us, collectively as fans, to face ours. And most satisfying to me, the Cubs proved, not just that they were a team worthy of a Championship on the field, but they proved to us that THIS YEAR, THIS TEAM was finally worthy of our faith.
Last edited by COZ on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:32 pm

congrats coz- I mentioned that lack of drama to my daughter about the sox win last night. 1 more thing I hope goes away now- cub fans blaming the wrong person/ thing for the teams failures. you just tried to do it again. the curse is over the goat has died. and bartman did not cost you anything. that was game 6. the ss blew an easy double play ball etc. last night chapman was not the goat. his manager was. he brought his closer in in game 6 with a 5 run lead. he took his starter out - who was pitching great- causing a chain of events that brought chapman in way too early- again. if game 6 is managed correctly- chapman doesn't pitch. game 7- Hendricks- the nl era leader- goes 7. lester the 8th and chapman with 2 days rest pitches the 9th- no drama cubs win easy. I like madden- but that was painful to watch the last to days. I am happy for all the cub fans- just in the next 108 years put the blame where it belongs.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:03 pm

HH, I still blame Bartman for that series. :P A true baseball fan wants his team to win more than anything ... more than catching a ball, and he/she knows how critical that moment is. You don't interfere with your team making a play. Period. But it stings a lot less now.

Coz, well done. I feel very much the same on all accounts. To win easily, after so much struggle and torment, would've left a lingering less-than-satisfying feeling by comparison. We needed the greatness, we needed the clutch plays, we needed proof that we can overcome both our mistakes and bad luck. A victory for all the world's underdogs.
Last edited by KJ Duke on Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winston's Empire

Post by Winston's Empire » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:37 pm

I waited for last night for 30 something years of my life. I haven't been on the boards in awhile, but knew a few would mention this historic event. I am so proud to be a Cubs fan today, but was before even when we were losers :)
Over 40 Million watched and enjoyed it last night and the great hope for baseball is this... a new generation will be born through this World Series to love this game SO MUCH, they will even watch it and root for a team that isn't good. This game is the best game on earth and that is proven as generation after generation walk up to the turnstiles with their kids, eyes WIDE OPEN as they see a major league field for the first time! GO CUBS GO, so good!
My response to people trying to change my baseball loyalties.
“Being a Cubs fan is the same as having a life insurance policy… It makes no sense to cancel it early!”
Cubs Fan Since 1987

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:12 am

I will say this...as cold as the Cubs bats were in four of the first five games, if Cleveland had had fully healthy Salazar and healthy Carrasco (as opposed to Tomlin and Bauer), I do not believe Game 6 or Game 7 would ever have happened.

Actually, I would have loved to see Lester/Arrieta/Kendricks vs Kluber/Salazar/Carrasco. That would have been awesome.
Charles Krauthammer

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:05 pm

Keep wishing', Wayne. We've been doing it for 108 years. ;)
"Luck is the residue of design."

-Branch Rickey

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:41 am

Ando wrote:Keep wishing', Wayne. We've been doing it for 108 years. ;)
Well, it won't be another 108 years. Other than Chapman, the whole crew is back/under control and the Cubbies have a few "extra" pieces (majors and minors) to do a little horse trading if necessary.

Cleveland too has a good chance to repeat. Assuming Napoli takes the $17.2m qualifying bid that is coming his way (if he doesn't, I am not sure anyone wants to give up a draft slot for him, but you never know), their whole team is basically back and may be a little stronger with any return to form of Gomes (no guarantee certainly) and a healthy Brantley (even less so). Certainly they could use another outfielder (Gomez, Reddick?).

So I may yet get to see those pitching matchups.

Again, congrats to the Cubs fans...

Are the Braves now the lovable losers?
Charles Krauthammer

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:15 pm

SVP nails it. Worth a watch.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17968096
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:05 am

coz- what you and all the cub fans SHOULD be doing is calling espn and bitching that at LEAST espn could use the cubs red "C" logo and not the BEARS orange "C" logo. in the back round. I know the bears put a small football in the corner of theirs but the bears is orange and the cubs is almost always red. geez

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:06 am

Under the old adage that you can never have too much starting pitching, I am a little surprised that the Cubs declined Hammel's $12m option. Yes, he faded in each of the last two years down the stretch, and yes they have Arrieta, Lester, Lackey, and Hendricks, but he sure was awesome early and was central to the Cubs building that division lead. I guess maybe the elbow is worse than reported (not that much has been reported)? Most of the Cubs (good) minor league pitching talent in A-ball or lower.

Interesting....
Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:01 am

they already announced Montgomery as 5th starter. this may be another message to agents that the cubs are player friendly. this gives hammel the whole off season to explore the market. they did him a favor.