Off Season Blockbusters!

Edwards Kings

Off Season Blockbusters!

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:00 pm

"Braves signed RHP R.A. Dickey to a one-year contract with a club option for 2018.

Dickey posted an ugly 4.46 ERA, 1.37 WHIP, and 126/63 K/BB ratio in 169 2/3 innings this summer with the Blue Jays and he turned 42 years old last month, but knuckleballers tend to have longer careers and the veteran righty figures to deliver better numbers in the National League. It has been well-reported that the Braves want to make significant upgrades to their roster ahead of the opening of SunTrust Park in 2017. We wouldn't call this signing particularly significant, but it is something."

Please accept this as an example of what a blockbuster is not.

Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Re: Off Season Blockbusters!

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:17 pm

Really strange signing, in my opinion. For a team not expected to compete for the play-offs in 2017, why pay $8 million for a one-year mediocre innings eater? Wouldn't it be better to give one of their young arms that experience (at a much, much lower cost)? Alternatively, put the $8 million toward signing or trading for a more useful pitcher who will be around when they are ready to compete. Strange.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't get it.
The Braves say they're going to build with the young.
Then sign Markakis.
They sell off a lot of their vets for young prospects.
Then sign Kemp.
Thay say they want to compete in their new ball park.
Then sign Dickey.
I don't get it.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:44 pm

I do not know. Not defending but...

Markakis was one I thought they would get rid of. No takers maybe? Smith getting hurt and they figured they still needed him? Still last year was another nearly 600 AB, able to be in there every day, nearly 90 RBI's on a bad team so is $11m that high?

Kemp still produces as a middle of the order bat and net cost to the Braves of less than $10m annually. No one in the high minors pipeline with his bat. Not many (young) impact bats as FA this year.

$8m on RA. Do they hold him (and Johnson), then flip after a few good starts or is the money worth 200 mediocre innings as a 4/5 starter until Newcomb/Blair figure it out?

Don't know about 2017....
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:I do not know. Not defending but...

Markakis was one I thought they would get rid of. No takers maybe? Smith getting hurt and they figured they still needed him? Still last year was another nearly 600 AB, able to be in there every day, nearly 90 RBI's on a bad team so is $11m that high?

Kemp still produces as a middle of the order bat and net cost to the Braves of less than $10m annually. No one in the high minors pipeline with his bat. Not many (young) impact bats as FA this year.

$8m on RA. Do they hold him (and Johnson), then flip after a few good starts or is the money worth 200 mediocre innings as a 4/5 starter until Newcomb/Blair figure it out?

Don't know about 2017....
We're not looking at it from the same plane.

No matter the success of Markakis, the Braves were no-hopers.
It's 11 million for a couple more wins.
In the long run, a net loss.

This year, no matter the years Markakis and Kemp have, it's the same.
They're no-hopers.
It is not the way to build.
It's a way to avoid 100 losses.
Dickey is more of the same.
Maybe they want to be more representable in a new park and will continue to build later?
Maybe Management tires of dealing with just the round holes of prospects and wants some square pegs too.
I don't know.

I've been really impressed by what Braves Management has done in the past.
This Braves Management doesn't seem to have a path in mind.

Not defending or offending, just my thoughts.
On my tombstone-

Dat Bum

Post by Dat Bum » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:14 am

...and now Bartolo joins R.A. Does Dansby Swanson need a father figure or something?

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:02 am

OK, Wayne (or Bryan), please explain this to me. $8 million for R.A. Dickey who is 42 years old and now $12.5 million for Bartolo Colon who is 43 years old. Who's next? Jim Kaat? Gaylord Perry? With the young arms that the Braves have and are trying to develop, do they really need Dickey and Colon eating up that many innings? They could give two guys in the minors that experience for a little over $1 million (combined) and those guys may turn out to be better than Dickey and Colon. I thought the Dickey signing was questionable; this one is just as bad or maybe worse. It's not every day where a team in rebuilding mode elects to do so via one-year contracts with the two oldest starting pitchers in baseball.

Mike

P.S. Now that I wrote this post, Colon will go 15-8 with a 3.30 ERA over 190 innings.
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

NorCalAtlFan

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:26 am

signing one was a given. they made it apparent they aren't thrilled with the progress of ellis blair wisler jenkins.
my guess is they hope one or both out pitch their contract and they can trade them at some point. however unlikely that is.

i am befuddled by the signing of both. especially since, however unlikely it was to happen, they were at least linked to archer, verlander, etc.

hopefully wayne will be able to expound on this more, but he's an uneducated redneck(sorry, wrong thread) :D (and wayne, i hope you know i am only projecting my liberal elitism from my ivory tower in california)

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:00 pm

The Braves must be trying to copy the success of the '83 or the '93 Phillies, both of which were old, veteran teams and both of which went to the world series. Otherwise why do you sign all of these guys?

Kemp? 32 years old. Big bat for a reasonable amount of money....looks like a good move.

Markakis? Maybe the most overpaid player in baseball. He's on the top 10 list for sure.

Dickey? Nobody's a bigger fan of the knuckleballer than me, but it's not 2012 anymore, he's now well over 40 years old -- A Cy Young season isn't happening. He can still pitch for a few more years, but for this team... a head scratcher for sure

Colon? Even older than Dickey.....boy is this guy old! Been around forever, but still can pitch. Maybe he will help mentor some young arms.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 pm

I wonder if it is better for Colon to hear, "Boy! He is old!" over "Boy! He is fat!" ?

Anyway, this move has all the makings of Braves Management looking at this year as a 'Bridge year'.
Dickey, Colon, and maybe somebody else eating innings, while their other pitchers develop and distinguish themselves as Major league ready. This signing and maybe another like it, actually makes more sense to me than Dickey alone.
Markakis will be a trade piece for the deadline.
Kemp, may be as well.
Braves fans will see a competitive team, but also, a team who is dependent on their kids, not their recent signings.
On my tombstone-

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:(and wayne, i hope you know i am only projecting my liberal elitism from my ivory tower in california)
Nahhh...you are not a liberal...all of them are in the street protesting for free speech, the will of the people, and a peaceful transition...as long as it goes the way they want...otherwise...broken glass, baseball bats, attacking peoples cars...damn...all that granola they eat must make them testy! :lol:

Literally just heard about Fat Bart...my reaction?

Bartolo Colon, who hit his first homerun on May 7th, and finished rounding the bases just in time to go Trick or Treating as the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man, being stitched into two Braves uniforms is truly an enigma to me. Yea...I get Dickey...kinda...but both?

You got me....I can only offer this concise, deeply considered assessment of the situation....

Charles Krauthammer

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:55 pm

Not defending the signings, merely pointing out that after the break, the Braves scored the 5th most runs in MLB, leading to a 37-35 record.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:37 am

barto- was the best pitcher on the mets last year and he will be the best pitcher on the braves. 1st rule of sports- ya gotta be available. the braves will have a nice bullpen. twice through the lineup and done. might win 20.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:35 pm

"FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that the Yankees are open to moving Chase Headley.

Rosenthal writes that Brian McCann and Brett Gardner are considered the most valuable Yankees via trade, but they are also listening on Headley. The 32-year-old is owed $34 million over the next two seasons, with a $15 million option for 2019. He batted .251/.329/.383 with 14 home runs and 51 RBI over 140 games this past season, but he was much better after a rough April."

Whaaaaaa??? Trading a future HOFer like Headley who only costs $17m a year? You could knock me over with a feather...

Charles Krauthammer

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:27 pm

honestly- you have to sell your soul to do rosenthals job. I mean how do you say that with a straight face? and while I am at it- dear baseball insiders- all of you- ALL mlb teams are interested in sale. all of them. stop talking about it. all....of....them

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:02 am

From Rotoworld:

Diamondbacks acquired RHP Taijuan Walker and SS Ketel Marte from the Mariners for 2B Jean Segura, OF Mitch Haniger and LHP Zac Curtis.

In Walker, the Diamondbacks will be bringing in a 24-year-old right-hander who still figures to have several years of development left on his bones before he reaches whatever his ceiling might hold for him. This past season, he pitched to a 4.22 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 119/37 K/BB ratio across 25 starts covering 134 1/3 innings. Foot and ankle injuries took their toll during the summer and Walker underwent arthroscopic surgery to remove a bone fragment from his right ankle in mid-October. He is expected to be ready for spring training, albeit wearing all new duds.

Strong, strong offensive move by the Mariners. They ranked sixth in all of baseball in runs scored last season and Segura should only help to pump up that volume. He figures to shift to shortstop with his new club, as they already have a pretty slick second baseman in Robinson Cano. Segura, 26, is coming off the best year of his major league career, having just slashed .319/.368/.499 with 20 homers, 64 RBI and 33 steals over 637 at-bats.

Walker is the headliner for the Diamondbacks, here, with Marte coming along for the ride. 2016 was his first full season in the majors and he ended the campaign the owner of a .259/.287/.323 triple-slash. In addition to that batting line, he also stroked 21 doubles, drove in 33 runs and swiped 11 bags over 437 at-bats.

Haniger saw a fair number of at-bats with the Diamondbacks this past season and finished out having hit to a .229/.309/.404 triple-slash with five homers and 17 RBI across 109 major league at-bats. The 25-year-old outfielder performed more admirably during his time in the minors, boasting a .321/.419/.581 triple-slash at Double- and Triple-A in 2016. His role with the Mariners figures to clarify come spring training.

In Curtis, the M's are acquiring a 24-year-old southpaw with limited major league experience. His first sips of big-league coffee this past season proved bitter enough. In 13 1/3 innings, Curtis was rocked for 10 runs on 13 hits (two of which left the yard). He issued a dreadful 13 walks against 10 strikeouts in that space. He figures to have his opportunities to fight for a bullpen spot this coming spring, but unless he sparks immediately out of the gates, will likely open the season in the minors.

OK..OK...Walker is no Dickey or Colon, but this is more like it, maybe not a blockbuster, but very interesting...

Marte was one of the hot young properties last year that did not really pan out. Segura was basically (if not left for dead) a second or third MI who resurrected his career last year. Walker, with his 93.9 mph fastball, change, curve, cutter moving from the AL to the NL? Playing in Arizona will not help his HR-itis but...nice. Very nice.

I guess the Mariners saw a big upgrade with Segura or have more faith in Karns and Miranda than I do.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:25 am

Quite the trade, especially on Thanksgiving eve. Of course, my first reaction is to try to figure out the fantasy implications. I think it might be close to a push, both from a fantasy and baseball perspective. Segura had a great season and some regression is possible. Mariners have a formidable lineup, but trade probably depresses his newfound power stroke. A change of pace and avoiding the DH should help Walker, although moving from Seattle to Arizona could offset that and more. Not sure what it means to Marte; may just free up ABs for Drury if they play him at 2B and move Owings to SS. Arizona could use the (or any) pitching help, and Seattle now has their lead off hitter. I hate the phrase "win-win" but I could see this kind of working for both teams. However, if forced to predict, I'd say Walker never fully becomes what the Diamondbacks want, and Segura never puts up the great numbers he did last season.

Now time for a Sale to the Dodgers trade?

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:31 am

"According to FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal, Eric Thames' deal with the Brewers is worth $16 million guaranteed.
Thames will make $4 million in 2017, $5 million in 2018, and $6 million in 2019. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that his club option for 2020 is worth $7.5 million and carries a $1 million buyout. He could earn an additional $500,000 per season based on plate appearances. Interestingly, FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal notes that Thames can't be sent to the minors without his consent. He's obviously no sure thing to be any more successful during his second stint in MLB than he was in his first, but the Brewers aren't breaking the bank to find out. The plan calls for Thames to be the club's regular first baseman in 2017."

So Thames sucked three years ago, but the now 30-year-old made the jump to the KBO (Korea Baseball Organization) and batted .348 with 124 home runs over 388 games. The Brew-Crew must really think those stats translate.

But will he be a big upgrade over Carter (estimated to make $8m in arbitration...more money...only one year) who tied Arenado for league lead in HR last year?

Scratching my head a bit here...
Charles Krauthammer

Joe Sambito

Post by Joe Sambito » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Is Thames going to be 1st base eligible or outfield eligible?
"Everyone is born right-handed, only the greatest overcome it."

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45 pm

It is of course up to Greg and Tom, but the last time he played in the majors he played enough games to be OF (79 games for Tor/Sea in 2012). MyKPOStats.com for the NC Dinos 2016 has him listed as an infielder, so I assume he played first base for them.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:57 pm

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Yoenis Cespedes is headed back to the Mets and one report states it may be a four-year deal worth $110 million, pending a physical.

Somewhere just prior to finding out about this, Glenneration X had an unexpected, spontaneous happy ending. :D
Charles Krauthammer

Glenneration X

Post by Glenneration X » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:24 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reports that Yoenis Cespedes is headed back to the Mets and one report states it may be a four-year deal worth $110 million, pending a physical.

Somewhere just prior to finding out about this, Glenneration X had an unexpected, spontaneous happy ending. :D
I was wondering what caused this! :D

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Wayne and Bryan - I guess the only thing better than scooping up "youngsters" Bartolo Colon and R.A. Dickey is to also trade for Jaime Garcia (who probably got hurt hanging up the phone call from his agent). Another blockbuster for the free-spending Braves! Just curious on your hometown takes on this blockbuster. Can you ever have enough one-year innings-eaters?

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:03 pm

Yeah...not really sure. Can't really call him an innings eater, but Garcia is only two punches away on his hospital cafeteria "Frequent Muncher" card to getting his jello free. So he has that going for him.

Garcia didn't show much last year...serviceable I guess is the word. Fastball, cutter, CU pitcher. Extreme groundballer. Giving up Gant (weird delivery..MR kind of guy), Dykstra (nice little 2B, but the Braves kind of have them stacked up right now), and Ellis (two quality pitches, needs the USPS to find the zip code of the plate). Ellis could learn control but so far, I really do not see the Braves gave up too much for the one year rental.

Every time the Braves make one of these moves, the assumption is they will pitch over their heads and the Braves will flip them. Could be the case here. Still, $32M later, the Braves rotation is much deeper (and much more injury prone, and much older, and very much fatter).
Charles Krauthammer

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:10 pm

It's clear that the Braves think their prospect pitchers are suspect.
Over the last three years, it has been impossible to think along with this franchise.
They have had more turnover than probably any Major League team during that time.

Are they better off than they were three years ago?
Flat out, I really don't know.
On my tombstone-