$50 BEAT GREG AND TOM AUCTION LEAGUE(2/23 post analysis)

BATS

Re: $50 BEAT GREG AND TOM AUCTION LEAGUE(2/23 post analysis)

Post by BATS » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:15 am

My second auction here ever. Hope to do a live one someday. After looking at this, maybe I should stay home. Fun event though. Anyway, wanted arenado, bryant, pollock and cueto. Got first 3 and bum for what I thought was good price instead of cueto. But wow did I misjudge what the rest would cost...missed out on a lot when the dollars went south.

c rupp 5
c flowers 2
1b bour 1
2b harrison 4
3b arenado 40
ss semien 3
mi hernandez 1
ci castellanos 9
of bryant 37
of pollock 25
of jd martinez 24
of iscotty 13
of margot 7
ut maybin 1

p bumgarner 33
p manea 10
p paxton 10
p happ 9
p santana 1
p devenski 1
p bruce rondon 1
p miller 7
p melancon 17

b revere, alther. valbuena, thornburg, brett anderson, barreto, mike feliz

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:11 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:1B - Mike Napoli $9
The definition of cheap power. Nice.
Greg Ambrosius wrote:SS - Brad Miller $5
I cannot get my mind around this guy. Only 27 and that second half was amazing. Keeps the flyball rate up and gets a little lucky with that hit %...but I just don't know. Think he will hit fourth like some sites think?
Greg Ambrosius wrote:MI - Ben Zobrist $8
Another MI who doesn't seem to be commanding bigger bucks for some reason...
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:14 am

BATS wrote:My second auction here ever. Hope to do a live one someday. After looking at this, maybe I should stay home. Fun event though. Anyway, wanted arenado, bryant, pollock and cueto. Got first 3 and bum for what I thought was good price instead of cueto. But wow did I misjudge what the rest would cost...missed out on a lot when the dollars went south.

c rupp 5
c flowers 2
1b bour 1
2b harrison 4
3b arenado 40
ss semien 3
mi hernandez 1
ci castellanos 9
of bryant 37
of pollock 25
of jd martinez 24
of iscotty 13
of margot 7
ut maybin 1

p bumgarner 33
p manea 10
p paxton 10
p happ 9
p santana 1
p devenski 1
p bruce rondon 1
p miller 7
p melancon 17

b revere, alther. valbuena, thornburg, brett anderson, barreto, mike feliz
Stars and scrubs...if you are going to spend big money, Arenado, Bryant and MadBum is a great way to go. Kind of like the pitching staff especially if Happ comes close to last year. Like the first five off bench.

And yes, if you can ever swing a live auction with this group, I think you will love them.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:15 am

Greg and I like a lot of the same players. I was targeting Napoli and Zobrist too but Greg had a little more money to spend when they came up then I did so he pushed them past where I could go. I had about $12 combined to spend on them both but since Greg liked them too I wasn't able to get either of them despite $12 combined being their prices right now.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Redgta91

Post by Redgta91 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:35 am

Here is my team.

Love Sale for $29 and Arrieta for $25. My outfield is brutal but hope waivers will fix that in year.

McCann, Brian (C) $10
Norris, Derek (C) $1
Votto, Joey (1B) $29
Cano, Robinson (2B) $24
Tulowitzki, Troy (SS) $10
Rendon, Anthony (3B) $14
Schimpf, Ryan (MI) $1
Santana, Carlos (CI) $14
Espinosa, Danny (U) $1
Brantley, Michael (OF) $8
Upton, Justin (OF) $20
Mazara, Nomar (OF) $8
Tomas, Yasmany (OF) $8
Drury, Brandon (OF) $5
Sale, Chris (P) $29
Arrieta, Jake (P) $25
Keuchel, Dallas (P) $14
Rodon, Carlos (P) $8
Gray, Sonny (P) $7
Iwakuma, Hisashi (P) $3
Familia, Jeurys (P) $11
Dyson, Sam (P) $9
Holland, Greg (P) $1

Reserves: Ketel Marte, Trevor Bauer, Melvin Upton, Danny Valencia, Arodys Vizcaino, Ryan Zimmerman, Lewis Brinson
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.

mbendar16

Post by mbendar16 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 am

I usually don't get a judy to account for speed, but went the top 2nd baseman went, I decided to go with Dee and build a team around him. He was my only player that cost over $20, as the all-around strategy is what I use for these. There is always 2 that seem to want Buxton in these, and Tom was the other and was able to bid enough. Here is my squad.

C Contreras (15) Castillo (11)
1B Pujols (12) Moreland (1)
2B Gordon (25) Kinsler (14)
SS Russell (14)
3B Franco (16)
OF McCutchen (20) Buxton (17) Gomez (12) Renfroe (4) Gardner (4) Granderson (3)

SP Teheran (16) Greinke (16) Cole (15) Salazar (11) Urias (6) Nova (2)
RP Herrera (14) Ramos (9) Kelley (3)

Bench - BMoss, Werth, JGarcia, JPolanco, Headley, Chacin, Treinen

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:31 pm

Tom let me know he created the league on nfbc and that all rosters were loaded so you guys are good to go. Good luck this year!

traebb

Post by traebb » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:57 pm

This was the first auction I've participated in and a long-time friend hadn't done one either so we decided to co-own. We were very thankful to be able to join this league. In one word, the auction experience was INTENSE, we are still recovering... Andy did a phenomenal job running the show. We don't quite know what to think of our team - which pretty much tells me how strong our team really is. I think we could have done a better job at spreading our resources or held off on a few purchases as there were some really good buys later in the draft when we couldn't bid the extra buck. This was a great learning experience and really enjoyed being taught lessons by the rest of the league (the hard way):

C Weiters (10)
C Barnhart (1)
1B Gonzalez (10)
2B Odor (22)
SS Arcia (1)
3B Kang (6)
MI LeMahieu (12)
CI Sandoval (2)
U Morales (10)
OF Trout (46)
OF Kemp (19)
OF Kiermaier (10)
OF Heyward (6)
OF Span (1)

P Kluber (30)
P Darvish (24)
P Lester (24)
P Maeda (13)
P Lackey (9)
P Bundy (1)
P L. Weaver (1)
P Capps (1)
P J. Gomez (1)

Bench - Tomlin, Toles, A. Simmons, Doolittle, Swihart, D. DeShields and T. Ross

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Redgta91 wrote:Here is my team.

Love Sale for $29 and Arrieta for $25. My outfield is brutal but hope waivers will fix that in year.

McCann, Brian (C) $10
Norris, Derek (C) $1
Votto, Joey (1B) $29
Cano, Robinson (2B) $24
Tulowitzki, Troy (SS) $10
Rendon, Anthony (3B) $14
Schimpf, Ryan (MI) $1
Santana, Carlos (CI) $14
Espinosa, Danny (U) $1
Brantley, Michael (OF) $8
Upton, Justin (OF) $20
Mazara, Nomar (OF) $8
Tomas, Yasmany (OF) $8
Drury, Brandon (OF) $5
Sale, Chris (P) $29
Arrieta, Jake (P) $25
Keuchel, Dallas (P) $14
Rodon, Carlos (P) $8
Gray, Sonny (P) $7
Iwakuma, Hisashi (P) $3
Familia, Jeurys (P) $11
Dyson, Sam (P) $9
Holland, Greg (P) $1

Reserves: Ketel Marte, Trevor Bauer, Melvin Upton, Danny Valencia, Arodys Vizcaino, Ryan Zimmerman, Lewis Brinson
What is not to like about your pitching staff, but you spent 41% if your budget on it so it better be good/great which it looks like it is to me. You got some nice players that will be awesome with a little injury good luck (Gray, Brantley, Tulo) or find/keep a full time job (Norris, Schimpf, Espinosa).

Nice.
Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm

mbendar16 wrote:SP Teheran (16) Greinke (16) Cole (15) Salazar (11) Urias (6) Nova (2)
Playing for those rebounds, eh? Assuming that "Cole" is Gerrit and with Nova means a little Ray Searage magic will go a long way for you.
mbendar16 wrote:He was my only player that cost over $20, as the all-around strategy is what I use for these.
Bet you didn't leave $20 on the table like I did. Since 9 of the 15 teams will be back in my auction league this year, think they will let me have a budge of $280 this year since I was so nice last year?

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:05 pm

traebb wrote:This was the first auction I've participated in and a long-time friend hadn't done one either so we decided to co-own. We were very thankful to be able to join this league. In one word, the auction experience was INTENSE, we are still recovering... Andy did a phenomenal job running the show. We don't quite know what to think of our team - which pretty much tells me how strong our team really is. I think we could have done a better job at spreading our resources or held off on a few purchases as there were some really good buys later in the draft when we couldn't bid the extra buck. This was a great learning experience and really enjoyed being taught lessons by the rest of the league (the hard way):

C Weiters (10)
C Barnhart (1)
1B Gonzalez (10)
2B Odor (22)
SS Arcia (1)
3B Kang (6)
MI LeMahieu (12)
CI Sandoval (2)
U Morales (10)
OF Trout (46)
OF Kemp (19)
OF Kiermaier (10)
OF Heyward (6)
OF Span (1)

P Kluber (30)
P Darvish (24)
P Lester (24)
P Maeda (13)
P Lackey (9)
P Bundy (1)
P L. Weaver (1)
P Capps (1)
P J. Gomez (1)

Bench - Tomlin, Toles, A. Simmons, Doolittle, Swihart, D. DeShields and T. Ross
Now comes the fun part. In-season management is the great equalizer and right now everyone is tied for first. You have a studly starting pitching staff and it looks like you were planning on trolling for saves, which is a strategy many use. I think Sandoval could be a fun pick. He won't hit 30, but even a return to middle of the pack is worth $2. Enough current and ex-Braves for me to like this team.

Good luck!
Charles Krauthammer

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:03 pm

Had a lot of fun with this one. Tried to avoid some mistakes I'd made in previous auctions and feel like I did achieve that, though I may have overcompensated in a couple of cases. Also made a couple silly mistakes at the end (resulting in Tyler Naquin and David Peralta). Still, looking forward to doing one more - and thanks Andy!

C: Realmuto, 13
C: Gomes, 2
1B: Encarnacion, 30 (Pearce, Vargas)
2B: Murphy, 24
3B: Turner, 14
SS: Peraza, 15 (Cabrera)
CI: Lamb, 10
MI: Schoop, 8
OF: Marte (27), Cespedes (22), Grichuk (7), Peralta (3), Naquin (1) (E. Rosario ... eventually Pearce?)
UT: Duffy, 3

SP: Price (24), Tanaka (15), Gausman (8), J. Ross (5), Snell (4), G. Gonzalez (3), Severino (1) (Skaggs, E. Rodriguez, Bucholz)
RP: Britton (18), Maurer (2)

headhunters

Post by headhunters » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:46 pm

stevemer- for what it is worth that looks like the best team from this draft. some teams bagged sb's or lacked power or didn't have any closers- but this team looks very balanced. peralta looks like a great pick to me for $3- but what do i know. and you have all month to look for gomes replacement at catcher. his trend line might be the ugliest one i have seen in awhile.

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:52 pm

headhunters wrote:stevemer- for what it is worth that looks like the best team from this draft. some teams bagged sb's or lacked power or didn't have any closers- but this team looks very balanced. peralta looks like a great pick to me for $3- but what do i know. and you have all month to look for gomes replacement at catcher. his trend line might be the ugliest one i have seen in awhile.
Thanks! I'm definitely interested in Peralta, but would have preferred him in a reserve round. If' I'd planned properly, might have been able to get Melky or B. Crawford instead of him and would have liked that stability. Gomes may indeed have to go. Tried to grab a few Cs I liked better, but those were my last $2 and got outbid on each.

thepats

Post by thepats » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:57 pm

We (Jimpats) do not believe in overpaying so we can actually nap for the 1st ten rounds or so, We're pretty happy with our team but it's a long season. It was fun, well-run and the site worked well.

morons

Post by morons » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 pm

This was my first auction of the year....and I did it entirely on my phone as my girlfriend and I drove between LA and SF, so kudos to Andy for running a great show, Verizon and the draft site for keeping me logged on the entire way, and my girlfriend for driving the whole way.

My original plan was to get two top-10 hitters and punt saves. As the auction went on, several Cheap Crappy Closers (CCCs) were available so I grabbed a few

C- Buster Posey (22)
C- Austin Hedges (1)
1B-Paul Goldschmidt (42)
2B-Jason Kipnis (19)
3B- Todd Frazier (18)
SS- Xander Bogaerts (22)
CI- Jed Gyorko (1)
MI- Devon Travis (5)
OF- Bryce Harper (38)
OF- Adam Jones (18)
OF- Jay Bruce (6)
OF- Jacoby Ellsbury (6)
OF- Corey Dickerson (1)
UT- Trevor Plouffe (1)

P - Stephen Strasburg (23)
P - Felix Hernandez (14)
P- Adam Wainwright (4)
P - Lance Lynn (3)
P -Robbie Ray (6)
P -Taijuan Walker (4)
P -Daniel Norris (1)
P -Ryan Madson (3)
P -Fernando Rodney (1)

It seems Tom and I had a similar strategy and bid on several of the same players, including Carlos Correa (but I'll take Bogaerts for $22 instead of Correa at $35).

Too many Diamondbacks, but otherwise....

I'm happy with the offense, would love it is the reserves of Mondesi/Quinn/Smith can get me some SB
Pitching is a blend of vets coming off down years and young kids who may or may do anything

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Hey Matt, yeah Bogaerts at $22 was great value. Correa at $35 was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I got Braun for less than I expected and I really wanted Correa to team with Rizzo after missing out on Trout and Harper so I paid the $35. Ideally, though, I think he should go for around $30. But that's an auction for ya.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

Jabline

Post by Jabline » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:10 am

Jimpats Roster. Tried to stay under $25 for any one player. Couple of risky starters but with decent upside. Thoughts?

Gattis 9
Hundley 1
Belt 11
Sano 13
Beltre 17
Dozier 19
Anderson 10
Diaz 9
Cruz 26
Hamilton 24
Cain 16
Thames 13
Melky 2
Conforto 2

Verlander 24
Quintana 15
Fullmer 11
Pineda 8
Nola 8
Liriano 2
Gsellman 2
Bush 1
Oh 19

Lorenzen
Graveman
Kuhl
Hand
Flores
A.Dickerson
Kendrick

steveymer

Post by steveymer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 pm

I really like your team, Jimpats - solid throughout, as one would expect with that strategy. For what it's worth, the projections that I ran the rosters through also really like your team. Weakest point is saves but that obviously changes if Bush gets the job, and is perhaps easiest thing to remedy via free agency even if he doesn't.