Worst Rule Change Ever

Yah Mule

Worst Rule Change Ever

Post by Yah Mule » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:34 pm

MLB in their unceasing effort to bring you less baseball, has come up with a proposal to stop games from going multiple extra innings. They're going to be testing this in the low minors this season.

"While the specifics of the rule are not final, the current plan is to start with a runner on second base in the 10th and every inning thereafter. As baseball grapples with ways to increase action in a game with a record-low rate of balls in play, changing its extra-innings rules emerged as a solution with multiple potential benefits."

I will let you read the linked article for these purported benefits, but I found the arguments not very persuasive. Joe Torre cites outliers like the rare 18 inning game, but fewer than 1% of extra inning games last that long.

If they want to speed up the game and increase offense, do something about those huge September pitching staffs. I saw one manager, I think it was Dave Roberts, go to the bullpen seven times in a nine inning game last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-plans- ... 14115.html

KJ Duke

Re: Worst Rule Change Ever

Post by KJ Duke » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:36 pm

AGREED :evil:

Dustmite

Post by Dustmite » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:42 pm

I can't imagine one real baseball fan enjoying this move...
RotoSaurus.com

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Yah Mule wrote:"While the specifics of the rule are not final, the current plan is to start with a runner on second base in the 10th and every inning thereafter. As baseball grapples with ways to increase action in a game with a record-low rate of balls in play, changing its extra-innings rules emerged as a solution with multiple potential benefits."
Hey...I got an idea...call a consistent strike zone!
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

devilznj

Post by devilznj » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Billy Hamillton might just be that person
Happy Recap

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:03 pm

In the 6 years our softball program has had the international tie rule, we haven't had a game go more than two extra innings.
We even modified it by starting the extra inning with a runner on second base and one out.
It works.

That said, this rule does not belong near baseball. The leaders of baseball are not listening to fans. Most fans don't care about the length of games. They can leave any time they want. Even listen to the game on the way home.
If anything, fans want to see more action during a game.
Not coaches talking with pitchers or endless trips by the catcher to the pitcher.
The writers and those in the press DO care about the length of games.
Games, any games, are work for them. The longer the game, the more work. You should see and hear a press box when extra innings are imminent. They grouse more than a fella with a size 13 foot wearing size 9 shoes.
But, it is more and more apparent that these writers have Major League Baseball's ear.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Terrible.

If that fails will they copy the NHL and go to a Home Run Derby if the game is still tied after one extra frame?

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Fangraphs posted an article today in support of games ending in ties after 12 innings. I would be totally OK with this over any other proposal I have heard

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 pm

So now MLB is trying to become the inferior, shit sport that the NFL has degraded into over the years? Please. This is a fucking joke of a rule proposal, and there are so many inherently wrong and problematic things with it that I can't even begin to get into them all here. It's a pathetic bastardization of something great that doesn't need "fixing". :evil: I'm still trying to get over how four intentional balls don't need to be actually thrown anymore. Next we'll have runners being awarded bases automatically on defensive indifference after the umps check with the dugouts if this is okay with them. :oops:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:42 pm

Love it. It makes the game more exciting.
It's simply not 1955 anymore, people. (Dan) LOL
I'm also for a 7 inning game.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:Fangraphs posted an article today in support of games ending in ties after 12 innings. I would be totally OK with this over any other proposal I have heard
Also a good idea.

LasVegasBlvd

Post by LasVegasBlvd » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:52 pm

So extra innings turns into who can get the runner over to third with a bunt then sac fly? Idiotic proposition. :?
Last edited by LasVegasBlvd on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:53 pm

Baseball Furies wrote:So now MLB is trying to become the inferior, shit sport that the NFL has degraded into over the years? Please. This is a fucking joke of a rule proposal, and there are so many inherently wrong and problematic things with it that I can't even begin to get into them all here. It's a pathetic bastardization of something great that doesn't need "fixing". :evil: I'm still trying to get over how four intentional balls don't need to be actually thrown anymore. Next we'll have runners being awarded bases automatically on defensive indifference after the umps check with the dugouts if this is okay with them. :oops:
Intentional walk can be 1-pitch = bean ball

Problem solved.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:53 am

LasVegasBlvd wrote:So extra innings turns into who can get the runner over to third with a bunt then sac fly? Idiotic proposition. :?
Geez you're acting like we said Mike Matheny is managing all 30 teams.

fwicker

Post by fwicker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:27 pm

Where's Charlie Finley when we need him.
"You can observe a lot by watching" - Yogi Berra

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:51 pm

fwicker wrote:Where's Charlie Finley when we need him.
His ideas about multiple designated hitters were interesting, though not to the National League purist, I would imagine.

la Jolla

Post by la Jolla » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:18 pm

Might as well start with the bases loaded and one out. It will be sac bunt, intentional walk, intentional walk, pitching change. For a game that keeps trying to speed things up, this rule makes no sense at all.

Walla Walla

Post by Walla Walla » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Might actually be a good idea for the lower minors. Gets' them on the bus headed to the next town.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Got a better idea. Expand the rosters to a 26th man. He can be the "DEIP" (Designated Extra Inning Pitcher). Pay the person the ML minimum. Parameters are they must be over fifty years old, at least 40 lbs overweight, and have never had major or minor league experience. After the twelfth inning, you must go to your DEIP. You might have one long 13th inning, but it will not go further, guaranteed. And I think I know a few people who fit the bill:

DEIP Sign-up List

1> Wayne Edwards
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Got a better idea. Expand the rosters to a 26th man. He can be the "DEIP" (Designated Extra Inning Pitcher). Pay the person the ML minimum. Parameters are they must be over fifty years old, at least 40 lbs overweight, and have never had major or minor league experience. After the twelfth inning, you must go to your DEIP. You might have one long 13th inning, but it will not go further, guaranteed. And I think I know a few people who fit the bill:

DEIP Sign-up List

1> Wayne Edwards
I'm about a biscuit away from qualifying. This past year, I've been gaining weight like De Niro during the filming break in Raging Bull. You normally have to visit a farm to see a mammal increase in size this quickly.

dwhite349

Post by dwhite349 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:02 pm

Ask NASCAR how all of the rule changes and track configuration changes worked out. Too much effort put into trying to get younger, more affluent people to stick around.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:10 am

Charles O. Finley.... now there was an innovator. Some of his ideas were good, some were not so good like the orange baseballs. We need more Finley's around today.

For you younger guys who don't know who he was, here's a link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Finley

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:36 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:
Charles O. Finley.... now there was an innovator. Some of his ideas were good, some were not so good like the orange baseballs. We need more Finley's around today.

For you younger guys who don't know who he was, here's a link..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Finley
Sure...just please...no more Herb Washingtons'... :lol:
Charles Krauthammer

converge241

Post by converge241 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:18 am

Terrible, plus I mean how many games that DONT go to extra innings "take a long time" right?

Easier to find other non damaging tweaks to move things along quicker. This is like turning baseball into some crazy videogame or alternative backyard version, why not ghost runners?

converge241

Post by converge241 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:45 am

Lenny Melnick had some easy time-savers that wouldn't harm things

1) Elimiate the actual toss of 4 calls for an IBB - Sure that takes out the Kelly leak chance but we get one what every 5 years
2) Home run; no need to run all the bases