Re: FAAB Strategy

Post by la Jolla » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 am

Spending heavy early....the MTM school of FAAB. Cool
Video Brian.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:01 am

Enjoy the videos.

Just want to possibly ignite a conversation here....

You turn your nose up at drafting Speed and Saves. Understandable.
When drafting Speed and Saves, it feels like we are going 30 in a 30 mph zone, while all other cars (drafters) are doing 40 and passing us. We see the categories most cared about, being gobbled up by those drafters.
We say screw this and join the other cars who are going 40.
Screw Speed and Saves.

But, as in the car analogy when cars get pulled over and are issued tickets, drafters have to pay the price as well.
Drafters who do not draft a category like Speed and Saves, pay their ticket in FAAB.
The more drafters who passed on speed and Saves, the more drafters willing to pay the high price for Jeanmar Gomez and Mallex Smith.
Those who drafted Speed and Saves can pass on those high prices.
They're the drafters who go after Trea Turner, or Gary Sanchez. Difference makers.
By not drafting Speed and Saves, we turn to the extension of the draft (FAAB) to.........draft Speed and Saves
Pay me now or pay me later.

Just another point of view.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 am

Definitely a good point. I would really like to build up as much depth as I can with homeruns runs RBIs and batting average. Most picks that means passing on a speed guy to fill those other holes. Later in drafts I will start to focus a little bit more on team make up but I would estimate that I get at least 15 rounds in taking pure best player available.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:29 am

My FAAB strategy: avoid leagues with FAAB.

Play to your strengths. If you suck @ FAAB save your money.

The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 pm

Over the past few years, they lie in his wake.
Fallen soldiers, that are words, We held dear;
He spread his terror near and far, mostly near.
Some pleaded, "Stop, for God's sake!"

He wouldn't and he couldn't.
For He could not help himself.
Nobody mattered more than him.
At least, to himself.

He has stopped trains of thought.
Ships of information, now a din
With just a few typed words...
He stops us again and again

The last of the posters,
In almost every thread
Nobody wanting to answer
Their poor ears, already bled

-The Legend of Deadthreadz
On my tombstone-

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Deadheadz wrote:.

So why is it that you feel you are not good at FAAB? Also if you are saying you only play DC's how do you feel you have an edge there? While I have been tempted to play a bunch of DCs I feel like there is even more luck involved in those games because of injuries and not be able to overcome them

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:31 pm

Good job, Brian. Looking forward to more of these videos!

I largely agree with your "spend early and often" mantra. Three things I would add:

(1) Make sure that you are spending on potential difference makers. Never spend big on garbage.

(2) Don't chase last week's stats, at least not with large bids. Think Hazelbaker.

(3) No player is worth $901. Ever.

Le Grand Orange

Post by Le Grand Orange » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Over the past few years, they lie in his wake.

At least, to himself.

The last of the posters,
In almost every thread
Nobody wanting to answer

Best. Post. Ever.
Marc Winokur
Known Aliases "Le Grand Orange" "Gooden Plenty" and "Sky King"

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Le Grand Orange wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:Over the past few years, they lie in his wake.

At least, to himself.

The last of the posters,
In almost every thread
Nobody wanting to answer

Best. Post. Ever.
+ 1
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:27 pm

la Jolla wrote:Spending heavy early....the MTM school of FAAB. Cool
Video Brian.
Thanks bud. Nice that you have my back! :roll: :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:
Deadheadz wrote:.

So why is it that you feel you are not good at FAAB? Also if you are saying you only play DC's how do you feel you have an edge there? While I have been tempted to play a bunch of DCs I feel like there is even more luck involved in those games because of injuries and not be able to overcome them
For the love of God, Brian, I'm begging you to not go down this road for the sake of all of us.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:44 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:
Deadheadz wrote: My FAAB strategy: avoid leagues with FAAB.

I've played in ME, PT, OC and Saxton's Auctions with FAAB over the past 4 seasons and save for winning my first OC I have always finished in the bottom third of each league. Critical analysis shows my biggest mistakes were made in free agency. Waste of money.

The place I've been finishing in the top third over the same period are the DC leagues. So yes, I'm trying to spend my money wisely but I can't say I have an 'edge' anywhere.
Perhaps one day I will travel to Trumplandia just for the fun of participating in an NFBC auction but it would be a donation surely.

I truly hope your state legislatures don't f-up the season long game before then.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:42 am

King of Queens wrote:Good job, Brian. Looking forward to more of these videos!

I largely agree with your "spend early and often" mantra. Three things I would add:

(1) Make sure that you are spending on potential difference makers. Never spend big on garbage.

(2) Don't chase last week's stats, at least not with large bids. Think Hazelbaker.

(3) No player is worth $901. Ever.
I specifically remember the Hazelbaker week last year and didn't even place a bid. Bunch of OF on that team contending for one spot and not a great minor league track record. Would have been willing to be wrong in that one.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 am

Deadheadz wrote:
Bjs2025 wrote:
Deadheadz wrote: My FAAB strategy: avoid leagues with FAAB.

I've played in ME, PT, OC and Saxton's Auctions with FAAB over the past 4 seasons and save for winning my first OC I have always finished in the bottom third of each league. Critical analysis shows my biggest mistakes were made in free agency. Waste of money.

The place I've been finishing in the top third over the same period are the DC leagues. So yes, I'm trying to spend my money wisely but I can't say I have an 'edge' anywhere.
Perhaps one day I will travel to Trumplandia just for the fun of participating in an NFBC auction but it would be a donation surely.

I truly hope your state legislatures don't f-up the season long game before then.
Unflattering picture of Melissa McCarthy for your avatar BTW

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:10 am

Two more tidbits:

- Save $70 or so for September
- Vroom Vroom. Glean the boards for Gekko advice.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:20 am

New vid today on bankroll-management in fantasy sports. How do you spread the wealth ( or lack thereof)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vxrRIQcUQ

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 am

Another good video, Brian.

Satelites are a great starting and learning experience in the NFBC.
Draft Championships are wonderful, Some prefer the FAAB leagues over the non-FAAB and vice versa, I don't know your preference there.
No matter whether pro-FAAB or not, the DC's offer that carrot of the Overall prize.
I like that aspect of that, as well as honing draft skills for the larger drafts at the end of March.

Usually, I end up with about 25 leagues. 20 or so in prep for the larger drafts.
If not having the money to do a Main Event or big time auction, my plan would be to do a couple of the cheaper drafts, like satelites.
Then, do one near the end of March for more money than your previous drafts.
Make that your big draft. Like your auction from last year.
This should prepare you in the best way, for future years.
On my tombstone-

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Another good video, Brian.

Draft Championships are wonderful, Some prefer the FAAB leagues over the non-FAAB and vice versa, I don't know your preference there.
No matter whether pro-FAAB or not, the DC's offer that carrot of the Overall prize.
I like that aspect of that, as well as honing draft skills for the larger drafts at the end of March.

Usually, I end up with about 25 leagues. 20 or so in prep for the larger drafts.
If not having the money to do a Main Event or big time auction, my plan would be to do a couple of the cheaper drafts, like satelites.
Yes I like the idea of participating in lots of satellites (although not as fun) to hopefully make hay on inferior competition. Also lots of leagues again mitigates risk of one or two big teams. As much as I like overall prize pools I even more like the idea of a higher % payout in a satellite since any one team's chances of winning an overall are pretty low.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Another good video, Brian.

The good thing about FAAB leagues is you get to manage your team.

The bad thing about FAAB leagues is you have to manage your team.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:50 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:New vid today on bankroll-management in fantasy sports. How do you spread the wealth ( or lack thereof)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R7vxrRIQcUQ
Interesting video and topic.

I would say I play this game because: (a) I love baseball and find that playing fantasy baseball - and having skin in the game and a rooting interest in at least one player in virtually every game scheduled - enhances my enjoyment of baseball immensely (can't wait for Opening Day!); (b) I find all facets of fantasy baseball - evaluating players and ranking them, developing drafting strategies and preferences and then trying to implement them, trying to manage roster composition, managing (or trying to manage) FAAB, and setting starting lineups - to be stimulating and very challenging; (c) the serious competition involved in trying to beat 14 (or 449) other guys who know their stuff (many of whom I've had the pleasure of becoming friendly with over the years through the NFBC) is great; and (d) the chance to win "real" money if successful. Yes, without a doubt the money is a great carrot (that tastes great when you get it), but is by no means the only, or even the biggest, reason I play this game. I've had a blast in prior years just playing in a local league where the grand prize was a small trophy and barely enough cash for a nice dinner for two. (How do you value a year's worth of bragging rights among friends?)

In your position, I think you're going about it the right way. I would rather play in a bunch of leagues, with multiple chances to win, than to limit myself to only a league or two, even if those are bigger leagues. I'd also do a combination of DC leagues and FAAB leagues. Nothing like DC leagues to learn the player pool and entertain yourself during the off-season, but you also should do some OC and/or satellite leagues so you get continued experience with FAAB (which is always challenging). Dan's suggestion that you work your way up to your biggest league late in drafting season is a good one. All that being said, if you have success in any of your leagues this year, put some/all of the winnings aside for one or more live events next year. As you probably know from your AC team last year, nothing beats the live events and you'll also get to meet a lot of similarly-obsessed baseball/fantasy junkies.

In response to your question, I'm doing about 15 leagues this year, about the same as last year, although I'm doing more FAAB leagues, which has me a little nervous. This is my sixth year drafting in the NFBC and my fourth having one or more "big" live event teams. Definitely something I had to work myself up to gradually. My first year, I only had a couple of teams, all of which I think were DC leagues. Every year, the majority of my teams are DC teams.

Two quick comments/possible concerns about your video:

1. You almost seem overly fixated on making money, as opposed to enjoying yourself and improving at fantasy baseball. Maybe I'm wrong and I misinterpreted things (and, if so, I apologize). There's nothing wrong with making money, but if that's the only reason you play, you might be destined for disappointment. I hope not. I just think that to have any sustained success against the top competition in the NFBC, you really have to invest the time and effort, both during drafting season and on in-season management. Tough to do, in my opinion, unless you truly love baseball and fantasy baseball. For me, I try to think of fantasy baseball more as recreation with an added bonus of potential winnings. The analogy I've used in the past involves DC leagues. Although I gravitate toward the fast ones because I'm an impatient bastard, most DC leagues give you about two weeks of off and on entertainment (drafting, chatting, strategizing, researching players) and then six months during the season (following and managing your team). In terms of dollars per hours of entertainment, it is a lot cheaper than most things you could possibly do, plus you get the added bonus of a chance to make money.

2. While it may not be quite as high as in some of the big dollar leagues, don't assume that the level of competition in DC or satellite leagues is weak or that you'll be able to walk all over lesser competition. There are a lot of great players in the NFBC, many of whom also found their way here after success in smaller-dollar contests. A lot of these guys may not post on the boards or have won (or even played in) the big dollar leagues, but, trust me, most of them know what they're doing. I've been lucky enough to do well in a few big leagues and also have had the pleasure of getting my ass handed to me in some smaller leagues over the years.

Anyway, good luck this year. I hope you have success and hope to meet you at the NYC live events. Keep up the videos. I've enjoyed checking them out.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Awesome answer and thanks Mike. I should clarify I LOVE baseball and have immense fun doing all this, just wouldn't do it if I wasn't making money. Definitely looking forward to placing in all my satellites this year and getting to another live event next year.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:52 am

I have a different take. If there was no prize money to be won, I wouldn't play fantasy sports. I don't love baseball/football and certainly don't follow/watch teams.

Success at fantasy baseball typically comes down to two things:
1. Do you have a brain that works?
2. Are you willing to pour in more time than your competitors?

Of course, other issues could impact you such as getting shitty 'random' KDS draws every year, being in leagues with more sharks, etc; however you need to answer 'YES' to the two questions above before even thinking about making consistent money playing fantasy sports.

For me this year, I'm scaling back leagues yet again. I had ownership in 3 main events last year. This year, I'm going to pass on the main. Not enough time in the day for me to manage those FAAB leagues, among other reasons.