BATS

which one?

Post by BATS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:15 am

Dahl or Scwarber?

DOUGHBOYS

Re: which one?

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:32 am

BATS wrote:Dahl or Scwarber?
The easy answer would be to say, which player fits into your strategy or roster construction to make a better fantasy team.

Schwarber is a smashmouth player. He looks like he owns the batter box in looking so hitterish.
A guy that was just born to rake.
The problems are...

1. He is coming back from a horrific injury. One that may bite him again.

2. Defensively, he is a horrible left fielder and a way below average catcher.
I can easily see him getting hurt again at either spot. He is a DH in a non-dh league.

The power is alluring.
And hitting at the top of the lineup is Joe Maddon coating Schwarber in honey to draw fantasy drafting flies.
I've been able to resist. It is hard for me to see him playing the full season.

I have a bias with Dahl. I saw and scorekept every home game of his first minor league season. He flirted with hitting .400 most of the year and set a team record for consecutive games with a hit.
Corey Seager and Dahl toyed with the league that year.
Schwarber has the power of a diesel truck, Dahl has the finesse of a Ferrari.
Dahl has that left handed swing that looks so sweet.
He'll hit for average in that he is a gap to gap hitter more than a power hitter. But, he can still turn on the ball as well.
He runs really well too.
He played center field in the minors and can switch there if Blackmon is traded at some point.
The problems are....

1. Dahl is also injury prone. Last year, he played in over 150 games. It was a first for him. He has only played 100 games twice.

2. Dahl hasn't gone through an adjustment period for MLB pitchers. Some hitters do and some hitters do not make the adjustments to pitchers once they are a known quantity.

For me, the Schwarber or Dahl question comes down to who will play more.
Who will have the better chance of staying healthy.
I would lean towards Dahl. He has played outfield his whole life and maybe last year, he discovered a way to stay healthy.
Schwarber seems like an accident waiting to happen in the outfield.
I'd pick Dahl.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

BATS

Post by BATS » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:07 am

Thank you for such a swift and thoughtful reply, Schwarber moving to leadoff diminishes his value some in my eyes due to the lack of rbi opportunities. Did not know as much about Dahl, just intrigued by the 20/20 potential and a coors avg bump. Am asking since I was offered Schwarber for Dahl elsewhere. Have good speed but short on rbi. Just didn't think this was the answer. Thanks again Dan.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:29 am

The sheer ceiling of Dahl makes him an easy lock over fat Schwarber all day for me. I'd take Dahl by the 5th round.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:01 am

listen, this one isnt even that close. like others have mentioned. only one of those players (dahl) has a CHANCE to put up a special season.

too many obstacles to schwarber havng a successful season:
1. platoon hitter. performance vs LH (strikes out 50% of the time) will likely have him riding bench the majority of time
2. will be removed in later innings of games for defensive purposes
3. significant known injury and has significant injury risk due to playing a position is he not really equipped to handle
4. how is he any different than jay bruce who is probably going 8-10 rounds later?

it's possible dahl will put up 20+hr/20+SB with a very good batting average. seems so obvious which is why i'm commenting. SMARTEN UP PEOPLE! :twisted:

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:28 am

I agree with everyone here, but will add one proviso. Schwarber is a monster bat. A truly special bat. And I do not think the Manager is batting him leadoff for any other reason than to get him the 3/4 AB's before he is replaced defensively. And on the games he is not in, he is the first bat off the bench. 500+ ABs? No, but 450 is within range and what he can do with those 450 AB will be special.

Still Dahl, but....I have it closer than the rest perhaps.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:57 am

Edwards Kings wrote:I agree with everyone here, but will add one proviso. Schwarber is a monster bat. A truly special bat. And I do not think the Manager is batting him leadoff for any other reason than to get him the 3/4 AB's before he is replaced defensively. And on the games he is not in, he is the first bat off the bench. 500+ ABs? No, but 450 is within range and what he can do with those 450 AB will be special.

Still Dahl, but....I have it closer than the rest perhaps.
I've never been one to draft one dimensional sluggers early because that skill set can be found much later. Taking .250 hitters early makes me hesitant to take low BA guys in later rounds because I don't want to finish bottom third in BA. This is why I don't get on the Sano bandwagon, either. His 36% K rate would have easily led MLB if he had enough AB's last year.

If Byung-ho Park wins the DH job, the Twins could have three guys in their lineup with K rates over 30% this season, unless Buxton starts fanning less, but with his contact rate, that will be difficult.