Come At Me Bro $250 FAAB Auction Sat Mar 18 (post analysis)

Bjs2025

Re: Come At Me Bro $250 FAAB Auction Sat Mar 18 (post analys

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:34 pm

For your viewing pleasure:

Buster Posey $30
Austin Hedges $1
Paul Goldschmidt $40
Brian Dozier $23
Alcides Escobar $1
Eugenio Suarez $1
Martin Prado $1
Daniel Murphy $20
Michael Brantley $2
Nelson Cruz $26
Mark Trumbo $18
Adam Duvall $10
Jay Bruce $3
Kevin Pillar $1

Corey Kluber $31
Kenley Jansen $21
Dallas Kechel $13
Raisel Iglesias $7
Jake Odorizzi $4
Drew Pomeranz $3
Colin McHugh $2
Junior Guerra $1
Tyler Skaggs $1

Reddick
Span
Jose Iglesias
Dayton
Moncada
Nolasco
De Leon

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:05 pm

Rotobro - not bad, but certainly not outstanding.

Buster Posey $30 [About $10 more than I'd pay for any catcher. I'm thinking owners gathered intel from your videos and used it against you here. bad buy]
Austin Hedges $1 [guy who has never done anything in the bigs, except suck and he's already dinged up. good thing he was only $1]
Paul Goldschmidt $40 [paid up for top guy]
Brian Dozier $23 [last year was career year. if his HR goes back to mid 20's with a .240-.250 average, this looks silly]
Alcides Escobar $1 [good buy for $1]
Eugenio Suarez $1 [good buy for $1]
Martin Prado $1 [if you've been paying attention, he is hurt and likely gone for a while]
Daniel Murphy $20 [not bad price; however questions remain about his health, esp given how his season ended and his lackluster spring]
Michael Brantley $2 [great buy for $2. people forget how valuable he was before getting hurt. could return $15-$20 if healthy]
Nelson Cruz $26 [i would prefer to get him a little cheaper, as everyone succumbs to father time, and anyone who owned cruz last year knows he was dinged up multiple times]
Mark Trumbo $18 [seems like good price for massive guaranteed HR]
Adam Duvall $10 [would have liked single digits for him; however not bad]
Jay Bruce $3 [STEAL]
Kevin Pillar $1 [good buy for $1]

Corey Kluber $31 [paid up for top guy]
Kenley Jansen $21 [paid up for top guy]
Dallas Kechel $13 [if he bounces back, will shred this price]
Raisel Iglesias $7 [GREAT price for guaranteed closer]
Jake Odorizzi $4 [he's being undervalued for some reason. always has great ratios. i have him around $7 on my board so nicely done]
Drew Pomeranz $3 [good price to get him]
Colin McHugh $2 [okay]
Junior Guerra $1 [STEAL]
Tyler Skaggs $1 [good price, but gamble pick]

Summary - if you didn't waste $30 on a stinking catcher and reinvested that money into upgrading other weaknesses, team would probably look a lot better. i say you finish 5th or 6th. thanks for posting.

Gekko

Re: Come At Me Bro $250 FAAB Auction Sat Mar 18 noon (full?)

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:38 pm

mbendar16 wrote:
SP Fulmer (10) Ray (4)
i have both of these guys at least $3 higher on my board. good job

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Full disclosure, Moncada was a complete mistake. Prado and Yoan are not meant to be in my lineup, i threw out Moncada early to try and have someone bid him up a bit and didnt want him at all. I took Prado in reserves as he was way to good value for a 3B that late and from what I've read Miami doesnt seem to concerned about his hammy. Otherwise I give the overall draft performance an A but a B- for my own personal expectation. I think I got fantastic SP values late and same with some hitters. Pissed off a bit at the Trumbo and Brian Dozier buy because i paid about full price for them, i needed to be more patient because there were some more great values to come. One of the best end games I've ever had though. NEVER expected to get Kenley Jansen but I know how stupid closer bidding gets and that was my full price for him. I knew that was a "bargain" for the top guy.

Had tons of fun, like the team but I could have done better. I do think its the best team in the league however.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:40 pm

76erfan wrote: P Eickhoff, Jerad (P) $3
i'm not sure why he doesn't get any respect. solid buy at that price

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:

Otherwise I give the overall draft performance an A but a B- for my own personal expectation.

I do think its the best team in the league however.
honestly man, only two ways you cash...
1. strike FAAB gold
2. brantley and keuchel are both dominators

if that is your "A" draft performance, it measures a B- on the "real world scale"

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:44 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:Full disclosure, Moncada was a complete mistake. Prado and Yoan are not meant to be in my lineup, i threw out Moncada early to try and have someone bid him up a bit and didnt want him at all.
will you do a video on how you outsmarted yourself? :twisted:

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:49 pm

ChipChopChip wrote: P JON GRAY $8
seeing how i owned him on just about every one of my faab teams last year, i'm somewhat surprised you were able to get him for $8. seeds of greatness began to sprout last year. ya, i know pitching in coors sucks; however he started throwing a next pitch during the season last year, specifically to help with the coors impact. this spring, he is dominating as well. maybe i'm missing something?

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Rotoboy did well. He has a 50/50 chance to be in the money i.e. Top 3. He's definitely top half.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm

DJMDJM wrote: Glasnow 3
VERY hard to use an auction roster spot on a guy who will be in minors for good chunk of season. could be good later in year, but now a pitcher in reserve round has to be your starter

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 pm

morons wrote:Here's my squad...If the saying that "Catchers win Fantasy Baseball Leagues" is indeed true, I'm in trouble
C- Sandy Leon-1
C- Jorge Alfaro-1
leon for $1...steal
alfaro for $1...likely waste

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

morons wrote:
OF-Mookie Betts-38
forgot to mention, this price looks like a good value, given the other high end prices i've seen 8-)

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Gekko wrote:
morons wrote:
OF-Mookie Betts-38
forgot to mention, this price looks like a good value, given the other high end prices i've seen 8-)
he was the first player nominated and admittedly I was skiddish for some reason. Should have gone $39

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:21 pm

It has a grading system that you can click when you finish the draft and it says that Rotoboy won the draft. I think it is fantasy pros that does the grading and they are correct like 100% of the time.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:It has a grading system that you can click when you finish the draft and it says that Rotoboy won the draft. I think it is fantasy pros that does the grading and they are correct like 100% of the time.
No matter how well you do in an auction... and this really goes without saying but the performance of the players always trumps your performance in an auction or draft. Like I said, he has a 50/50 chance of being in the money. His mistakes are his catchers and shortstops but that's minimal. Not a big fan of Pomeranz, McHugh or Skaggs, but he was going off the projections to get them.

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:59 pm

I might have been using a little bit of sarcasm. We all have guys that need to outperform. I think Rotoboy is short on steals, batting average and his backend pitching is suspect.

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:I might have been using a little bit of sarcasm. We all have guys that need to outperform. I think Rotoboy is short on steals, batting average and his backend pitching is suspect.
He's a little short on steals but that's actually why I like Moncada and Span on the bench. Nolasco and Dayton are also projection plays.

Being first in the projections doesn't mean that you're that good, but he distanced himself from the pack pretty good.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:36 pm

morons wrote:Here's my squad...If the saying that "Catchers win Fantasy Baseball Leagues" is indeed true, I'm in trouble

C- Sandy Leon-1
C- Jorge Alfaro-1
1B-Joey Votto-33
2B-Jose Altuve-36
3B-Ryon Healy-7
SS-Orlando Arcia-3
CI-Trevor Plouffe-1
MI-Danny Espinosa-1
OF-Mookie Betts-38
OF-Kris Bryant-41
OF-Adam Eaton-12
OF-Keon Broxton-9
OF-Sin Soo Choo-2
UT-Victor Martinez-3

Cole Hamels-20
Kenta Maeda-17
Alex Cobb-2
Jharel Cotton-3
Edurado Rodriguez-1
Robert Gsellman-1
Trevor Bauer-1
Craig Kimbrell-18
AJ Ramos-8

Kenny Vargas
Matt Duffy
Jarrett Parker
Delino Deshields
Jose Berrios
Nate Karns
Tyler Thornburg
I like the low dollar arms you collected.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:38 pm

DJMDJM wrote:Rotobro suffered a royal beat down. One of the worst squads I've seen in a while. Love to see what others think after he posts his team

Mccann 10 Bandy 3
Carlos Santana 10 AGon 8
Headley 1
Zobrist 5, Didi, 7, Tulo 10
Utility Swanson 7
Pollock 31
Blackmon 35
Mccutcheon 21
Peralta 3
Saunders 5 (last pick)
Sale 31,Arrieta 26, Samarzija 9, Allen 15, Robertson 12, Addison Reed 4,Conley 2, Hellickson 2, Glasnow 3
Unpleasant side effect of Dahl's injury is it seems to have made Blackmon's price go up.

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:59 pm

ChipChopChip wrote:It has a grading system that you can click when you finish the draft and it says that Rotoboy won the draft. I think it is fantasy pros that does the grading and they are correct like 100% of the time.
I don't want to come off like a braggart, but I finished second in their pitching projections once.

Bjs2025

Post by Bjs2025 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 pm

My review of the auction and my team here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHjYIOlw1hA

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm

Bjs2025 wrote:My review of the auction and my team here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uHjYIOlw1hA
Nice job, especially since this was your first auction of the year.

I would have been pissed at those guys if they wouldn't have run you up on Posey. Good job, fellas. You justified that price by saying Lucroy and Sanchez were also expensive, but you didn't say what they cost. How far would you have gone on Buster?

I agree with the consensus that Hedges was the wrong way to go. Best case scenario is Posey hits around .320. A high volume/low BA guy is very counter productive. I understand not wanting to invest more in the position, but a low at bat do-no-harm-guy would have been better, IMO.

I thought your worst piece of advice from prior videos was to nominate a replacement level player and try to stick somebody with him. I loved seeing this bite you in the ass today with Moncada. Also, that you didn't want to admit it right away. :lol:

We'll see, though. If he can trim the K rate from horrific to merely unsightly, you'll have a bargain and some much needed bags.

I love the price on Murphy and Cruz consistently outperforms his unit cost. Suarez is lost in the shuffle @ 3B this year and a fine fallback option.

Brantley was definitely worth the two bucks. I've seen him go for much higher prices. The shoulder still worries me. Labrum surgery seems to always come with a lengthy recovery time. But again, for $2, this is a very good gamble.

Bruce will be a steal if he gets moved. If he doesn't, he will continue to struggle, IMO. He is way too sensitive to play in New York.

You didn't overpay for Kluber. The SP market is kind of fluid in every auction. You either pay up or hope you can find a discount ace. The problem with that is the inflated prices can seep down several tiers. Better to just lock up your 220 inning anchor if possible.

Keuchel could be a terrific bargain. He looks good this spring. Of course, he looked like vintage Maddux last March, too. I saw him pitch a lot last year and for him it's all about keeping the ball down. He couldn't do it last year and batters squared him up way more than they did in 2015.

Again, nice effort. Looks like things are tightening up as we get close. Like Andy said, not a lot of bargains today. I expect this to be a very competitive league with a number of teams in contention.

TOXIC ASSETS

Post by TOXIC ASSETS » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 am

ChipChopChip wrote:I am not loving this team

C RUPP $5
C WOLTERS $2
1B CHRIS DAVIS $22
2B FORSYTHE $4
SS ASDRUBAL CABRERA $4
3B BREGMAN $18
MI WALKER $3
CI RENDON $16
U THAMES $7
OF SCHWARBER $13
OF KIERMAIER $9
OF KEPLER $3
OF MARGOT $3
OF TREA TURNER $34

P CARRASCO $20
P HILL $15
P PRICE $14
P PAXTON $12
P MUCCLULLERS $10
P JON GRAY $8
RP OH $17
RP GREG HOLLAND $10
RP BEDROSIAN $9
When your first comment is 'I'm not loving this team' and then the first guy is a $5 Phillies player --- I can kind of see why.
Carrasco & Price are both hurt already.
Ouch.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:11 am

Thanks for sharing guys. Interesting teams and comments.

Everyone is tied for first right now and as we all know this is only the first hurdle. In-season management (injuries, FAAB) will separate the sheep from the goats as it always does.

Signed,

Usually a Goat.
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

ChipChopChip

Post by ChipChopChip » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:04 am

TOXIC ASSETS wrote:
ChipChopChip wrote:I am not loving this team

C RUPP $5
C WOLTERS $2
1B CHRIS DAVIS $22
2B FORSYTHE $4
SS ASDRUBAL CABRERA $4
3B BREGMAN $18
MI WALKER $3
CI RENDON $16
U THAMES $7
OF SCHWARBER $13
OF KIERMAIER $9
OF KEPLER $3
OF MARGOT $3
OF TREA TURNER $34

P CARRASCO $20
P HILL $15
P PRICE $14
P PAXTON $12
P MUCCLULLERS $10
P JON GRAY $8
RP OH $17
RP GREG HOLLAND $10
RP BEDROSIAN $9
When your first comment is 'I'm not loving this team' and then the first guy is a $5 Phillies player --- I can kind of see why.
Carrasco & Price are both hurt already.
Ouch.

In my opinion you have to take a few chances in a draft of 15 players to win. Carrasco and Price are two of my gambles. I picked up some fill in guys in the reserves rounds waiting on Carrasco and Price return.