The NFBC DL Team

DOUGHBOYS

Re: The NFBC DL Team

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon May 22, 2017 10:37 am

knuckleheads wrote:Dan, your whole value argument seems mislabeled to me.

It seems what you are really bothered by is drafters commenting on their projections as if they were fact rather than opinion, and then describing it as value as if the stats were facts.

When a drafter says I 'got good value' for Trout at pick 5, it's true that he did during the draft. The drafter did as well as he possible could have at pick 5 -- at the time of the draft. That doesn't guarantee he'll get good value for Trout during the season.
Every player is an unknown quantity on draft day. All we have is their past to foretell their future.
We all see players pasts differently.
Yet, we want to attach 'value' into many, many opinions.
We can say the word 'value' over and over again. It doesn't make it so.
Sure, you could say Mike Trout is a 'value pick' with the fifth pick, I get that.
That is Captain Obvious.

Let's go down in the draft.
I have a friend who says that Jorge Polanco will be a 15-15 hitter/ base stealer during drafting season.
I also heard a few radio guys touting Polanco during draft season, calling him a 'value'.
First, it is INCREDIBLE in how many players have 'value' during drafting season.
I would venture to say that somewhere, sometime EVERY player has 'value' according to radio guys.
Not just the value that is accepted by us, but implying that these players will be better players than they are.

Anyway, to my friend, Jorge Polanco has value in the 25th round. He doesn't to me.
ADP puts him at around the 25th round too.
I think of him as a low grade middle infielder, while my friend and radio guys are touting 'value'.

'Value'' on draft day is only opinion!
It is the opinion that Polanco will be better than others think, disguised as 'value'.
ADP is opinion of many, but somehow, it too becomes value.
Chad bases his teams off of ADP. Respecting others opinions, then trying to beat their opinions with picks that may be overlooked.
These are called 'value picks' by many.
In reality, it is a lesser group of drafters, not thinking like the masses.
It is still OPINION. Not 'value'.

I can argue the point forever and I know that most want to quantify what we do as something more than giving opinions on players.
Chad wants to call his picks 'value picks' rather than saying he is using his opinion in drafting the best player available for his team. I get that.
Radio and print fellas look smarter in writing a player has more 'value' than another player than simply saying that one player is better than another.
I get that too.
Any which way it is played, in the end, it is our own opinions, not 'value'.
If wanting to use the word, value, go for it. Turn on the radio, They say it over and over again.
They're the smart one's.
Not me. :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

knuckleheads wrote:Dan, your whole value argument seems mislabeled to me.

It seems what you are really bothered by is drafters commenting on their projections as if they were fact rather than opinion, and then describing it as value as if the stats were facts.

When a drafter says I 'got good value' for Trout at pick 5, it's true that he did during the draft. The drafter did as well as he possible could have at pick 5 -- at the time of the draft. That doesn't guarantee he'll get good value for Trout during the season.
Empirical evidence has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that getting Trout at any point in a draft guarantees great value.

Cocktails and Dreams

Post by Cocktails and Dreams » Mon May 22, 2017 11:04 am

I would much rather listen to Dan on the radio. Would be an interesting show.