FAAB - Conditional bids

Deadheadz

FAAB - Conditional bids

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:17 pm

Never tried this technique so I'm not certain it will work. Does the system allow this type of conditional bid?

1. Clayton Kershaw (P) [Edit] $700

2. Chris Sale (P) [Edit] $700
a. Chris Sale (P) Edit] $300

(the names have been changed to protect the innocent)

The idea is a high Bid2 if Bid1 fails but Bid2 within my remaining dollars if Bid1 is successful.

I've always used a separate bid to do this before but with Cutline FAAB #2 being all or nothing I've got a LOT of bids in and it's much easier to track this way.

Thoughts?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

KJ Duke

Re: FAAB - Conditional bids

Post by KJ Duke » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:07 pm

If you win Kershaw first, you'd be in the running to win Sale for 300.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:18 pm

KJ Duke wrote:If you win Kershaw first, you'd be in the running to win Sale for 300.
Thanks for the confirmation. :D
Seems logical now but in the past I had always assumed the backup bids had to be some player other than the primary bid.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:46 am

KJ Duke wrote:If you win Kershaw first, you'd be in the running to win Sale for 300.

I could be wrong, but...I would have thought differently.

Two separate bids. Two separate cases.

Why would his winning or losing Kershaw have any affect on the Sale bid?

Additionally, why would the computer jump from a $700 (Sale) bid down to a $300 bid? If the $700 bid for Sale is the high bid, it will be awarded and the second $300 should be ignored, no?

I thought how we numbered the individual bids was irrelevant. The numbering of the actual bid, --not the conditionals---was just to identify separate transactions. In other words, whether Sale was #1 or the Kershaw bid was #1 had no bearing on each other. Numbering the conditionals certainly does.

Unless we are taking into account that he cannot have two $700 bids due to a $1000 limit?
So now the question becomes can you bid more than you have?

Additionally, because he makes Kershaw his #1, what does the computer run first? Let's say everyone else makes Sale #1. How does it know to ignore his Sale bid, if its the high bid, unless he's out of money.

If the amounts were $70, not $700, does that make the difference, assuming he as $140 or more?

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:40 am

1. Clayton Kershaw (P) [Edit] $700
a. Chris Sale (P) [Edit] $700

2. Chris Sale (P) Edit] $300

Would be the conventional way to accomplish (what I think is) the intention.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 am

That's one of the reasons I was asking, in case it mattered the order in which you have the bids placed.

If there are 2 bids of $700 and I have only $1000, does the system know I prefer Kershaw to Sale by the number of the bid?
Should I have had Kershaw at $701 then Sale at $700 and a conditional bid of $299 on Sale in case I won Kershaw?

Atlas wrote:

I could be wrong, but...I would have thought differently.

Two separate bids. Two separate cases.

Why would his winning or losing Kershaw have any affect on the Sale bid?

Additionally, why would the computer jump from a $700 (Sale) bid down to a $300 bid? If the $700 bid for Sale is the high bid, it will be awarded and the second $300 should be ignored, no?

I thought how we numbered the individual bids was irrelevant. The numbering of the actual bid, --not the conditionals---was just to identify separate transactions. In other words, whether Sale was #1 or the Kershaw bid was #1 had no bearing on each other. Numbering the conditionals certainly does.

Unless we are taking into account that he cannot have two $700 bids due to a $1000 limit?
So now the question becomes can you bid more than you have?

Additionally, because he makes Kershaw his #1, what does the computer run first? Let's say everyone else makes Sale #1. How does it know to ignore his Sale bid, if its the high bid, unless he's out of money.

If the amounts were $70, not $700, does that make the difference, assuming he as $140 or more?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Atlas

Post by Atlas » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:07 pm

I didn't think the number of the bid prioritized it, just identified it . Only the order of the conditionals is prioritized.
I guess the Tech people would have to supply an answer on how the program was written.

Todd's approach would have been what I thought to be the correct one.

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:12 pm

ToddZ wrote:1. Clayton Kershaw (P) [Edit] $700
a. Chris Sale (P) [Edit] $700

2. Chris Sale (P) Edit] $300

Would be the conventional way to accomplish (what I think is) the intention.
That's how I've always done it until now. With all the DL players on the 10 rosters in a Cutline league right now I'm anticipating a very deep FAAB run with a lot of players getting claimed.

Was curious if I could avoid 30-40 long conditional bids by consolidating each player like so:

3. Bryce Harper (OF) [Edit] $300
a. Bryce Harper (OF) [Edit] $200
b. Bryce Harper (OF) [Edit] $150

4. Yoenis Cespedes (OF) [Edit] $200
a. Yoenis Cespedes (OF) [Edit] $150
b. Yoenis Cespedes (OF) [Edit] $100
c. Yoenis Cespedes (OF) [Edit] $50

whereas the highest bid would be accepted based on the amount of money left after bids 1 and 2 are processed.

I'm thinking it would save time but be catastrophic if the system doesn't support it.
Maybe just to see what happens I should try it for just one player but do the rest in the traditional manner to be sure I get some warm bodies to fill out the roster.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz