Splits and Stuff

DOUGHBOYS

Splits and Stuff

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:47 am

Full Price Positionality, Half Priced Statistics

Is a player with multi-positionality valuable, if he only hits half the time?
Well. yes.
I am talking about you, Brandon Drury.
Drury, like most of his Arizona teammates gets homesick.
Anytime away from his home ball park, he and his teammates makes their owners sick as well.
Drury has 2B, 3B, and OF eligibility. One of the best mixes a player can have.
But, Drury sits on my bench when Arizona takes to the road. Here is why....

Home- .385/14/4/16/1
Away- .183/5/1/6/0

Those are numbers embraced by past Rockies players.
The good thing about players like this is that the stats and especially, his schedule, tell us when to play him and when to bench him.
Drury also hits better this year vs RH than LH.
.241/5/1/1/0 vs southpaws. .305/14/4/21/1 against right handers.
Managers are slow to grasp the concept of reverse splits though, so when Drury is 'rested', it is always vs. a righty.
I just always hope that it happens on the road.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Is Bryce Harper, Mr. April?

We know that Harper sweats talent. He is only 24 and has shown us, one season, that he is capable of being a top round player.
Harper had nine home runs last April, he finished the season with 24 homers.
This season, he matched that April with nine homers again. Five weeks later, he has 15.
At the end of April, Harper was hitting .391, a pace a hitter like Harper could never keep, for sure.
Since, Harper has hit .243, ironically, the same batting average he finished with last year.
Last year, Harper made his owners drafting of him as one of the top three players, tolerable by stealing 21 bases.
This year, one.

.330/118/42/99/6
Those were Harper's numbers in 2015.
Except in April, he has come nowhere near those kind of numbers since.
It is alarming that 18 of his 39 homers since that year, has come in the opening month.
If nothing else, it is something to monitor.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who woke up Daniel Murphy?

Daniel Murphy, almost single-handedly, led the Mets to World Series bliss in 2015.
His numbers changed dramatically, two months before that post-season.
If we include the August and September from 2015, add in his playoff totals, and what Murphy has done since, here are Daniel Murphy's stats for less than two year's work.....A .339 batting average and 50 home runs.

Before those last two months in 2015, Murphy , in seven years, was hitting in the .280's and had only struck 52 homers in those seven seasons.
This year, he was 'Missouri/Missouri' (show me twice) by most drafters.
His ADP after March 1 was 40. Behind Rougned Odor, four spots ahead of him.
(Editors Note- If you got 'value' by getting Odor in the 4th round, how is that 'value' looking now?)
(Editors Note 2- Odor is 10-60 with zero extra base hits vs. lefties this year, zero)
Although playing on a team with possible MVP'ers like Ryan Zimmerman, Bryce Harper, Steven Strasburg, and Max Scherzer, Murphy is the glue that is making that team stick.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!