No Events Fees Or Co-Manager Fees For 2018 NFBC

Greg Ambrosius

No Events Fees Or Co-Manager Fees For 2018 NFBC

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Okay, we have finalized our plans for 2018 NFBC and we've also finalized our budget. We are expecting continued growth for all of our contests and expect our 15th season to be our best ever. Damn, NFBC XV is here!! We can't wait to announce everything.

One thing I did want to get out in front of you right now is the fees for competing this year. There was great consensus across the board on all of this and honestly the decisions were pretty easy.

First of all, we want to announce that we are eliminating all Events Fees and Co-Manager fees from the NFBC in 2018. While we felt it was needed in the past to offset our food & beverage expenses at all of the live events along with licensing fees and state taxes, at the end of the day those are revenues that became more troublesome than they were worth. Yes, we used them as incentives to buy multiple contests and events, but from an accounting standpoint it just makes sense to budget those expenses and budget set revenues. Those fees were impossible to guesstimate from one year to the next.

So we have eliminated all $75 Events Fees and all $50 co-manager fees. Everyone will be able to easily add a co-manager from your My Teams page after you sign up, so don't fret when you can't find the co-manager option on Registration. It will be an easy process to add a co-manager from your My Teams page at anytime after you sign up and even during the season. We will also set it up so that you can have multiple co-managers if needed, something Tom and I did manually in the past.

Now, hopefully that is good news.

We also know that you'll probably just use that savings to buy more teams, so it's all good!! 8-)

In doing that we are also making one change. We will have Special Packages on Registration for an Online Championship 3-Pack at $1,000 and the Cutline Championship Special Packages for 3 teams, 5 teams and 9 teams. This year we are ONLY honoring those if you buy multiple teams at once. In the past if you bought them separately, Tom or I would manually go into accounting for that 5th or 9th team and take off the discount. Well, we reached 10,700 teams in the NFFC this year and as we continue to grow that just becomes too much. So now we ask everyone to sign up for the Special Packages at once if you want the discount and we can always change the dates of the contests later. Pick much later dates if you're not sure when you will draft them and we can always switch you out. That's easy to do. But from an accounting standpoint and from our standpoint, this is the best way to handle these packages.

As for the entry points, nothing is changing. The Main Event is still $1,600, the Auctions are still $1,300, the high-stakes private leagues are still $15,000, $10,000, $5,000 and $2,500 and the Online Championship is still $350. We will still offer $150, $400 and $1,000 Draft Champions Leagues.

The only change involves the Cutline Championship. We are still keeping it at $125 per team with a $50,000 grand prize and the same balanced overall prize pool. The regular season still ends at the All-Star break and we believe some new features with FAAB will make this contest more appealing. The price will be $125 if you sign up for any contest by Feb. 28th and $150 after that. We are incentivizing people to draft early and to plan ahead earlier because last year there was a falloff for that contest in March. You don't have to draft before March 1st, but lock in your teams by then and you'll be rewarded. There will be no roster expansion during the season and drafts will be 42 rounds.

The plan is also to return the NFBC Post-Season contest in 2018 with prizes based on only 300 teams. We want to build this product the same way we built the NFFC Post-Season Contest, which this year will have a $100,000 grand prize. It will be tough to ever get that big, but we believe a lot of people do want to compete in a playoff contest.

As for the prizes, our national contest payouts will remain between 78 and 80 percent. We aren't lowering the payouts for these or the Super, Ultimate, Diamond or Platinum. Satellite Leagues remain the same as well. We are keeping these payouts even though we are now paying taxes on state resident fees in multiple states and even though we became licensed earlier this year in Indiana and Virginia at $50,000 apiece. We thought about lowering prizes across the board or applying those state fees to state residents, but at this point the entire legislative world is so in flux and it could change dramatically with the New Jersey sports gambling bill in front of the Supreme Court. We felt it was just best during our first year with SportsHub running everything to keep everything consistent and to analyze this more closely in the future.

We are concentrating on growth and better technology this year. We want the playing experience to be the best it can be and I really think we have the programmers to make that happen. Everything is based on growth and ease of managing more teams this year, so the prizes need to remain strong and next year we can even bump up more of the national prizes.

Speaking of which, the Main Event top prize remains at $125,000, the Online Championship again is $100,000 and the Auction Championship is $25,000. Each of those have room to increase in future years, maybe even as early as 2019. I already said that the Cutline Championship will be $50,000 again, while the Draft Champions National Championship increases from $28,000 to $30,000. I think that's all of it.

We want to get you paid for 2017 before announcing everything for 2018, but I wanted to get all of this out there first. Hope this works for everyone. Thanks and enjoy the MLB playoffs.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

EA Sports

Re: No Events Fees Or Co-Manager Fees For 2018 NFBC

Post by EA Sports » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Great news on the fees! As far as the Cutline packages... it would seem to me that you are creating more work for yourself. Not sure about others but the Cutline seems to be more of an impulse purchase for me. Never booked until 48 hours before. If asked to sign up for 9 dates in advance I would be swapping drafts more than I would keep them, annoying the hell out of Tom ;) . If there was a way to sign up for the drafts and fill the dates as desired that would be ideal. My 2 cents.

Eric
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win" - Bobby Knight

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:04 pm

EA Sports wrote:Great news on the fees! As far as the Cutline packages... it would seem to me that you are creating more work for yourself. Not sure about others but the Cutline seems to be more of an impulse purchase for me. Never booked until 48 hours before. If asked to sign up for 9 dates in advance I would be swapping drafts more than I would keep them, annoying the hell out of Tom ;) . If there was a way to sign up for the drafts and fill the dates as desired that would be ideal. My 2 cents.

Eric
Honestly swapping dates is much easier for us than individually signing folks up and manually running the discounts. Yes we will see if we can have some kind of default date for that type of situation. We will look into that. Thanks.

And we will keep the 3-Pack discount at $350 after March 1st and the 5-Pack discount too and the 9-Pack discount as well. Again, after March 1st the incentive is to play more at the lowest price possible.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:02 am

Greg I am so glad youre keeping payouts the same, i do think that the Supreme Court will strike down PASPA, and this year should be about good will and growth, even if the margins are slimmer the profits can be larger with growth, but obviously you know this by your decisions.

Anyway great job and Ill see you in Vegas this year!

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 am

Everything looks good. I do agree with this: "If there was a way to sign up for the drafts and fill the dates as desired that would be ideal. My 2 cents." Look forward to seeing you at FPAZ - where we can commiserate on our "loss."

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:21 am

Wolfpac wrote:Greg I am so glad youre keeping payouts the same, i do think that the Supreme Court will strike down PASPA, and this year should be about good will and growth, even if the margins are slimmer the profits can be larger with growth, but obviously you know this by your decisions.

Anyway great job and Ill see you in Vegas this year!
Sounds good. That would be a game changer for the industry, but only if a federal law encompasses this across the country. If it's left to each state to regulate differently like what we're seeing in DFS then it will get difficult. You'd think Congress would want to get in front of this, but we'll see. Regulate it and tax it fairly. Then you'll see growth and consumer protection.

We're still working hard on the host hotels for New York and Las Vegas. We're getting closer. Thanks and I'll see you in Sin City during March Madness.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 am

FrozenTundra wrote:Everything looks good. I do agree with this: "If there was a way to sign up for the drafts and fill the dates as desired that would be ideal. My 2 cents." Look forward to seeing you at FPAZ - where we can commiserate on our "loss."
Just two weeks away. And we have to celebrate your Arizona Fall League DC title. Good job. That was a good, tough league. We'll do it again on Friday night. And yes, the entire state is still in mourning over the Rodgers injury. Winter has come early to Wisconsin. :(
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Josh R

Post by Josh R » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:08 pm

Any chance of changing the $400 draft champions league back to 1400/1400/1400? Seems like a lot more leagues filled up when it was that way.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:01 am

Josh R wrote:Any chance of changing the $400 draft champions league back to 1400/1400/1400? Seems like a lot more leagues filled up when it was that way.
More leagues did fill up that way, but I don't think it's a similar contest when battling for the overall prize pool. There were more owners in this format punting categories and playing for third place because that prize was the same as first place. You can say that's all part of the strategy for an individual league, but again it wasn't the same contest as the $150 and $1000 when there were tiered prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd and owners were battling for overall prizes.

The $400 DC prizes haven't changed in 2018. Sorry.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Honestly swapping dates is much easier for us than individually signing folks up and manually running the discounts. Yes we will see if we can have some kind of default date for that type of situation. We will look into that. Thanks.

And we will keep the 3-Pack discount at $350 after March 1st and the 5-Pack discount too and the 9-Pack discount as well. Again, after March 1st the incentive is to play more at the lowest price possible.
Never having bought a 5-pack (but likely to get one in 2018) my assumption was it was a product you bought in advance and then used as drafting season went along with the balance decreasing every time you entered another contest.

If there's differing prices drafting before and after Mar 1, are there two different 5-packs I need to buy because I can't use one for all my Cutline entries Jan 1 - Mar 25?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz