The Draft Room, Drafts, and Drafters

DOUGHBOYS

The Draft Room, Drafts, and Drafters

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:41 pm

The first draft in the new NFBC draft room has concluded. Filled with very savvy drafters, there were no picks that left others shaking their heads. Every drafter was ready to draft even this early in the drafting season.
The draft room itself was fully functional. There were absolutely no problems and no stoppages in the drafts.
Place holders, once replaced sometimes weeks or a month later by STATS, are now replaced the same day or next day by the new IT team.
Nice really.
With tips from drafters, the draft room is getting better each day as IT implements those improvements.
I feel that within weeks when Auto1-5 are included and other suggestions are completed, we the NFBC customer will have a draft room to be proud of.
From my point of view, I believe the new IT team should be commended for a good product that is getting better each day.

With the draft room being less of a problem, the problems become that of humans.
We do not mix well clumped in first come- first served sign ups.
I believe that each drafter should have an 'average pick time' next to their name.
This may seem unnecessary to some. I don't believe so.
The average draft time would let everybody know what group a drafter would feel most comfortable.
A drafter taking two hours a pick should not be in a draft where others take 10 minutes.
It creates misery for both the drafter taking two hours and the majority of others who are taking 10 minutes.
Usually resulting in Message Boards threads about slow drafters.
For Greg and Tom, I believe the result would be more folks drafting in DC Leagues.
There could be more challenge leagues created for quickness and possibly even, slowness.
In the future, leagues could be filled by 'time of pick' for drafters rather than 'next up, next in.'
Just throwing this in... we are all stat freaks.
The 'average draft time' would be a statistic to be followed during the off-season.
How cool is that?

Even at this stage of the drafting season, there are grumblings about the clock.
Last year, we had eight hours to make a selection, no matter the time of day.
This year, we have four hours to make a selection with a clock stoppage at night from 1 A.M. TO 9 A.M., est.
It should make sense.
The problem I experienced during my draft was that hardly any selections were made at night.
The gains made during the day with a four hour clock were given away by few or no picks made at night.
The first solution to the problem is more awareness to drafters that picks can be made at night.
Maybe an email included before each draft commences with a reminder would be good.
The second solution would be to decrease the time on the night clock.
Too much thought is given as to west coast or east coast bedtimes.
Last year, we had eight hours to pick, no matter the time of day.
It seems silly to give any drafter 12 hours to make a pick this year, when we felt that eight hours was too long to make a pick at any time last year.
When Auto1-5 becomes available, the night hours of stoppage should be reduced.
12 hours to pick is counter productive to every draft.

I believe that each drafter should have an 'average pick time' next to their name.
This may seem unnecessary by some. I don't believe so.
The average draft time would let everybody know what group a drafter would feel comfortable with in a group.
A drafter taking two hours a pick should not be in a draft where others take 10 minutes.
It creates misery for both the drafter taking two hours and the majority of others who are taking 10 minutes.
For Greg and Tom, I believe the result would be more folks drafting in DC Leagues.
There could be challenge leagues created for quickness or slowness.
In the future, leagues could be filled by 'time of pick' for drafters rather than 'next up, next in.'

For those on the fence in joining a draft....
DRAFT!
The draft room is really good and keeps getting better everyday.
Almost all the minor leaguers that were not in the room at the beginning of the year are now included.
Less and less place holders. The chat room couldn't be much better.
A fun time awaits you when ready to draft.
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

NorCalAtlFan

Re: The Draft Room, Drafts, and Drafters

Post by NorCalAtlFan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:50 pm

Good to hear Dan. Just started my first DC on the new platform.

I don't think time is the issue as much as communication. People get busy, life happens. When that is communicated, most/everyone doesn't have an issue. The fear I have with your scenario is that the "fast" drafters are just going to keep bumping heads with other "fast" drafters and the leagues won't be as organic. Just my 3 cents

mdecav

Post by mdecav » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:26 pm

We have two drafters in DC 2 who are very slow and our draft will likely take 3 weeks to complete.

This is very frustrating. When we finish leagues in 2 weeks it makes the experience much more enjoyable.

What should happen is that there are “fast qualify” drafts where you can join only if your average draft time is better than a certain time. This way we can avoid these types of situations.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:00 pm

NorCalAtlFan wrote:Good to hear Dan. Just started my first DC on the new platform.

I don't think time is the issue as much as communication. People get busy, life happens. When that is communicated, most/everyone doesn't have an issue. The fear I have with your scenario is that the "fast" drafters are just going to keep bumping heads with other "fast" drafters and the leagues won't be as organic. Just my 3 cents
Bryan, you've been drafting a long time. You know how DC drafts work. A few folks use chat. Most do not.
This negates 'communication'.
We don't know whether this drafter doesn't have time to draft, be it his job, family or lifestyle.
And after awhile, we don't care.
We only know he is slow.

Point taken on butting heads in drafts with the same drafters.
But, we're already doing that, and have been, with fast drafts set up by Mikey and myself for a long time.
Why not just have them always be available?
If wanting to 'take a break' from the same drafters, we could 'take the hit' and join a slower paced draft.
On my tombstone-

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Put me in the minority of those suggesting the time per pick clock isn't the panacea others think it is.

In DC6 now and we're already moving nicely. Auto1 will be huge. Once that's a feature, most DCs will cruise. If the ability to predraft multiple rounds is instituted, it'll be even better.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:52 pm

ToddZ wrote:Put me in the minority of those suggesting the time per pick clock isn't the panacea others think it is.
I took a quick look at 'panacea' and saw 'pancake'. I love pancakes.
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:06 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote: With the draft room being less of a problem, the problems become that of humans.
We do not mix well clumped in first come- first served sign ups.
This may seem unnecessary to some. I don't believe so.
The average draft time would let everybody know what group a drafter would feel most comfortable.
Usually resulting in Message Boards threads about slow drafters.
There could be more challenge leagues created for quickness and possibly even, slowness.
Just throwing this in... we are all stat freaks.
The 'average draft time' would be a statistic to be followed during the off-season.
How cool is that?
Perhaps having this statistic posted would change some "slow drafters" behavior. Although, I feel, some would just dig in. Not everyone follows the speed limit because it is posted, but some will when a live radar gun shows their speed.

And what happens when a slower drafter signs up after you. You remove yourself from the draft? Well that just takes away our enjoyment. And most of us just want to draft.

I'm intrigued by the idea, just not sure how effective it will become. I think most players want the draft to move along and I don't want to discourage any new players coming to the NFBC. To NorCal ATL Fan's point the NFBC needs to grow its player pool, we already draft against one another too often.

Agree with the clock at night. We need to come up with a better widget. Potential 12 hours on the clock is way to long.

And we need to reinforce that it is perfectly acceptable, even good etiquette, to draft during the night when the clock has stopped.

Let me repeat, its okay to draft when the clock is stopped.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Really? When I looked it up it showed a resort in South Mission Beach.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Auto1 will fix 95 percent of the overnight clock concerns.
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
ToddZ wrote:Put me in the minority of those suggesting the time per pick clock isn't the panacea others think it is.
I took a quick look at 'panacea' and saw 'pancake'. I love pancakes.
Don't ya hate hit when people waffle with their pick?

Subscribe HERE

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 pm

Auto1 will fix 95 percent of the drafting overnight issue, especially when the picker is close to the wheel.

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:16 pm

ToddZ wrote:Auto1 will fix 95 percent of the drafting overnight issue, especially when the picker is close to the wheel.
I believe it is the opposite, Todd.
If having auto2 when on the wheel, then things would be different.
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Seriously Dan...?

And I prefer crepes. Which I can't have because of these things called carbohydrates.

But IHOP has great crepes.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:20 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
ToddZ wrote:Auto1 will fix 95 percent of the drafting overnight issue, especially when the picker is close to the wheel.
On the wheel is the tough one -- have to hope that person is around. Picking one and waiting obviously accomplishes nothing.

But yeah, Auto2 (or just the ability to predraft by round) would be ideal.

My main point is I suspect everyone knows you can still pick overnight. It's just the draft is halting when someone is off line for the night.
Last edited by ToddZ on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm

SpinningSeams wrote:Seriously Dan...?

And I prefer crepes. Which I can't have because of these things called carbohydrates.

But IHOP has great crepes.
Denny's has improved their pancakes from inedible to delicious.
The only problem is.... eating in Dennys.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:26 pm

ToddZ wrote:
DOUGHBOYS wrote:
On the wheel is the tough one -- have to hope that person is around. Picking one and waiting obviously accomplishes nothing.

But yeah, Auto2 (or just the ability to predraft by round) would be ideal.
Beyond this, I believe the NFBC has to improve awareness for the drafters.
An email to each drafter before the draft containing info about the ability to pick while the clock is stopped at night.
Contained in the same email, after getting auto1-5 activated, should be instructions on how and when to use it.
Just my thought....
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Wouldn't having an "auto 1" and "auto 2" choice conflict? Particularly at the wheel? Auto 1 works for most of the draft, however in light of what Todd mentions, dies at the wheel when one pick is made and waiting on the second.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:38 pm

We would have a choice, Scott.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:39 pm

Those coming to the wheel, and not being able to stay up, would use auto2.
Those elsewhere, would have the choice to use what is best for them.
On my tombstone-

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:43 pm

FWIW -- Auto2 has limits, unless you have a list and just want best player available. It only really works if you can input two distinct lists -- and even then, there will be some at the wheel that want their second pick to play off their first pick.

But, every auto1 happening overnight is one fewer pick needed to be made.

Subscribe HERE

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:53 pm

ToddZ wrote:FWIW -- Auto2 has limits, unless you have a list and just want best player available. It only really works if you can input two distinct lists -- and even then, there will be some at the wheel that want their second pick to play off their first pick.

But, every auto1 happening overnight is one fewer pick needed to be made.
Yes, agreed.
On my tombstone-

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:34 pm

Just an add, another site has 'average draft times' .
It becomes part of the landscape. Another tool.
With many adjustments still to come for our new draft room, this would be far down on the list.
On my tombstone-

SpinningSeams

Post by SpinningSeams » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:50 pm

The topic is good for discussion.
Scott
"SpinningSeams"

rickerbockerNFBC

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Auto one would help. But I mentioned this already several times. Two clocks. 4 hour clock and an overall draft clock (I'm thinking 25 hours). Your overall clock runs out and you go to auto. I'd even be OK going to a 5 or 10 min clock.

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 pm

As one of the members of this year’s first DC draft that just concluded, and one who for the most part had speedy picks (within 10-15 minutes).....

I didn’t really mind the guys who used the entire clock, easier to handle now that it’s a 4-hour clock instead of 8 (SO MUCH BETTER!)

I would probably have a different opinion if it was March, but pre-xmas I’m good.

My main goal for DC Leagues, besides win some $$, is the drafts themselves exponentially boost my draft and player data base.

With that being said, a little heads up is always nice. One of the things I loved about that group of DC League #1 was that guys would give a heads up if they were going to be awhile, myself included. True professionals who would even notify when they logged on and needed a minute to collect their thoughts and make their pick.

My summary: Use the 4-hours when you have to, maintain relationships and communication on chat

Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:50 pm

Oh yea and I AM NOT a fan of that overall draft clock. I think that would work very bad in some people’s cases. Don’t have any kids yet but I see from my battle buddies how hard it can get sometimes.

In a DC Draft last year I remember one of the owners who had back-to-back pics every round; His kid had some type of medical emergency rough 48 hours for the guy; I think he ended up timing out on 4 picks in a row or something (remember still 8-hour clock last year). We were pretty pissed until he logged on told us what was happening. Even thanked us for understanding I kinda felt like a douche for being pissed at him initially. If he had a 25-hour overall clock his team woulda be trashed before he logged back on.

There are a smattering of owners who really don’t have a valid reason for timing out, some are just a bit slow, even met a petty owner once that timed out on purpose every pick we ended up emailing Greg to set him straight. But hey, an owner retarded and can’t make picks on time? That’s one less owner I gotta worry about on the road to the title!