My First Live Auction

Wolfpac

My First Live Auction

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 am

Ok Im going to enter my first ever auction of any kind this season in Las Vegas, come and join me and take my money. I read the rules but i have some questions can anyone please provide me with all i need to know.

Ok i know the basics we need to fill a legal 23 man lineup with 260 bucks or less, that i get. i also understand that you have to declare the position the player is being slotted into, but here i what i don't know.

1.) Can you later declare to move that player to a new spot once you added a player later, like early in the draft you might not know if a Marwin Gonzalez is going to be a MI or 3B, or CI or what have you, it might depend on whose available later?

2.) How does the bidding work, ok i get that you nominate a guy with a bid, then how does it go...can someone give me like a paragraph explanation on how this thing works in practice.

3.) any other tidbits i need to know before i do one of these bad boys.

Greg Ambrosius

Re: My First Live Auction

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:48 am

Wolfpac wrote:Ok Im going to enter my first ever auction of any kind this season in Las Vegas, come and join me and take my money. I read the rules but i have some questions can anyone please provide me with all i need to know.

Ok i know the basics we need to fill a legal 23 man lineup with 260 bucks or less, that i get. i also understand that you have to declare the position the player is being slotted into, but here i what i don't know.

1.) Can you later declare to move that player to a new spot once you added a player later, like early in the draft you might not know if a Marwin Gonzalez is going to be a MI or 3B, or CI or what have you, it might depend on whose available later?

2.) How does the bidding work, ok i get that you nominate a guy with a bid, then how does it go...can someone give me like a paragraph explanation on how this thing works in practice.

3.) any other tidbits i need to know before i do one of these bad boys.
You don't have to declare the position you are taking for the player you draft. We can move him when needed during the auction. In other words, if Marwin Gonzalez is picked up, we can move him wherever needed during the auction as you add players.

Sure. You bid $20 for Clayton Kershaw then you hear $25, $30, $35, $40, $41, $42, Going once, going twice, $43. People are just shouting out the numbers and the auctioneer repeats them and points to the person who got the bid in. It keeps flowing until he says Going Once, Going Twice, Sold.

Have a spreadsheet ready because these move along. Know what you want to spend on each guy quickly and don't try to do too much. Some first-timers come in and try to keep track of every bid of every player when it's already on your My Teams page in real-time. Just concentrate on who you want and build that winning team. You are in play on every single player nominated, so it's one helluva thrill. Enjoy and good luck.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks Greg, that clears it up alot. I will have a nice spreadsheet handy. This does sound like a lot of fun.

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:23 am

Hope you enjoy it. I actually like auctions the best, though my results are the worst. A couple of things:

1) Watch your money. The facilitators and their teams do a GREAT job, but everyone is human. If you have a question, asking for clarification is very much ok. The facilitator at relevant intervals will do money checks as well. Oh, and don't hoard your money (if that is your style) too long and end up with $20 bucks left after getting your 23rd player. I did that just a couple of years ago and no, no matter how much I cried, they would not let me use it the next year.

2) The facilitators are great and as Greg mentioned, they will have a steady and repeatable cadence of "going once....going twice...sold" so you can time you late jump in bids pretty well. But once the "S" in "sold" starts, that is it.

3) And most importantly, minimum opening bids for all Braves players is $20. Not a rule, but a tradition. 8-) :lol:
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:22 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Hope you enjoy it. I actually like auctions the best, though my results are the worst. A couple of things:

1) Watch your money. The facilitators and their teams do a GREAT job, but everyone is human. If you have a question, asking for clarification is very much ok. The facilitator at relevant intervals will do money checks as well. Oh, and don't hoard your money (if that is your style) too long and end up with $20 bucks left after getting your 23rd player. I did that just a couple of years ago and no, no matter how much I cried, they would not let me use it the next year.

2) The facilitators are great and as Greg mentioned, they will have a steady and repeatable cadence of "going once....going twice...sold" so you can time you late jump in bids pretty well. But once the "S" in "sold" starts, that is it.

3) And most importantly, minimum opening bids for all Braves players is $20. Not a rule, but a tradition. 8-) :lol:

Haha that is actually ALL great advice, are you doing any auctions this year?

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:50 pm

Yes. I will have one team in the Auction Championship, but will be playing out of NYC this year (my eldest will be in a final semester at NYU, so Dad will be making an appearance).
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:57 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Yes. I will have one team in the Auction Championship, but will be playing out of NYC this year (my eldest will be in a final semester at NYU, so Dad will be making an appearance).
Wayne - Great to hear that you'll be in NYC this year. You will enjoy drafting in The Big Apple! See you then.

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Looking forward to it Mike.

Lowy already got me a map so I can get around....

Charles Krauthammer

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:45 pm

It was a little more detailed than the one MtM got me...

Charles Krauthammer

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Yes. I will have one team in the Auction Championship, but will be playing out of NYC this year (my eldest will be in a final semester at NYU, so Dad will be making an appearance).

Lets battle again for the overall prize pool

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Looking forward to it Mike.

Wayne, looks like you’re all set. You’ll have no problems navigating around.

I like how even Glenn’s map has the “Greatest Franchise Ever” situated in the Bronx, while the “Doomed Baseball Team” appropriately is located in Queens. Very accurate in at least that respect. :D

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 pm

Edwards Kings wrote:Looking forward to it Mike.

My only visit to New York was for Super Bowl 48. The game was actually played in East Rutherford in a stadium that would have been ugly in 1972. The NFL enacted a plan to essentially hermetically seal the entire state of New Jersey so that not a single tourist dollar was spent there during the entire week and NJ locals seemed well aware it was happening, but resigned to their fate.

Auctions have become my favorite way to draft. I'll be doing two in Vegas this year and hopefully Andy will coordinate and run some more online auctions this year.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:39 am

I’m doing the auction on March 22nd. Maybe we will be in the same league.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:41 am

Sorry March 23rd auction at 4pm

rickerbockerNFBC

Post by rickerbockerNFBC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am

You will love it. I bet you do a 2nd auction next year. Drafting is fun but auction drafts are the best. And you can implement more strategies than a snake draft. The best tidbit I can offer is make sure you know position eligibility as its crucial especially later in drafts. Good luck.

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:28 pm

My advice - get the Rotoboy Auction DVD series. If you order soon you get the Mikey / Rotoboy bonus Christmas compilation - Prancing Pectorals.

Texas Connection

Post by Texas Connection » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 pm

I would like to invite you to switch your auction time on the 23rd from the afternoon to the morning. I will be in that one and I want to get even with you from the beat down you gave me in the main event last year. As a further incentive for you to switch, I will give you 50 bucks towards your entry fee or will give you a $100 if you beat me. Look forward to seeing you in Vegas. Jon

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 pm

Texas Connection wrote:I would like to invite you to switch your auction time on the 23rd from the afternoon to the morning. I will be in that one and I want to get even with you from the beat down you gave me in the main event last year. As a further incentive for you to switch, I will give you 50 bucks towards your entry fee or will give you a $100 if you beat me. Look forward to seeing you in Vegas. Jon

Though I admire your offer, I respectfully decline.

I see we are already both in the March 22nd main event, I do look forward to meeting you, it was a hell of a last month of the season. I don't know what I am doing in the Auction( hence rookie status) and that later time works better for me, since I'm doing one draft a day over 4 days. ( also it conflicts with the Ultimate auction, where all of you auction experts are in.)

So I say we settle our score on March 22nd Main, in a level playing field, no extra money needed to incentivizing me to beat you again(pride will do just fine).

See you then Jon.

Wolfpac

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Wolfpac wrote:
Texas Connection wrote:I would like to invite you to switch your auction time on the 23rd from the afternoon to the morning. I will be in that one and I want to get even with you from the beat down you gave me in the main event last year. As a further incentive for you to switch, I will give you 50 bucks towards your entry fee or will give you a $100 if you beat me. Look forward to seeing you in Vegas. Jon

Though I admire your offer, I respectfully decline.

I see we are already both in the March 22nd main event, I do look forward to meeting you, it was a hell of a last month of the season. I don't know what I am doing in the Auction( hence rookie status) and that later time works better for me, since I'm doing one draft a day over 4 days. ( also it conflicts with the Ultimate auction, where all of you auction experts are in.)

So I say we settle our score on March 22nd Main, in a level playing field, no extra money needed to incentivizing me to beat you again(pride will do just fine).

See you then Jon.

Wolfpac
Refusing Jon's offer? Oh-o...Expect a visit from Jon's "co-manager", Luca...

Charles Krauthammer