Live Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Greg Ambrosius

Live Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 am

Now that we finally have the Bellagio locked in for Las Vegas, and New York and Chicago are set, maybe it's time to open the floor for some conversation about our 15th NFBC season. I'm feeling good about the upcoming fantasy baseball season, so let's open it up for questions and answers.

While I feel very good about everything on the management and tech side, I do have some concerns about the slow, slow off-season. It's hard to believe that top free agents like J.D. Martinez and Mike Moustakas are still unsigned, and we still have some serviceable free agent pitchers still on the market. Many of the big-market teams are trying to remain near or below the luxury tax line, while some of them may be saving up for next year's big free agent off-season. Either way, it's been a BORING baseball off-season. Hopefully things pick up soon.

Bring on the questions about the live drafts, online drafts, SportsHub, the industry in general, or baseball questions. We're here to answer them all and will continue with a thread like this through the drafting season. Here we go!!
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Red Sox Nation-

Re: Live Chat With Greg, Tom & Darik

Post by Red Sox Nation- » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:27 am

Hi Greg,

Any updates on the FAAB system? I liked what i heard during your last update. Thanks!

Jason

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:38 am

Red Sox Nation- wrote:Hi Greg,

Any updates on the FAAB system? I liked what i heard during your last update. Thanks!

Jason
We tested it again last week and it looks great. We will invite some NFBC owners who have already drafted to test it out in the next week or so. We are getting closer to showing everyone how this works and how it will save you valuable time each Sunday.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:14 pm

Gents - when do you expect the Cutlines to pick up?
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:25 pm

ToddZ wrote:Gents - when do you expect the Cutlines to pick up?
Last year at this time we had two Cutlines done (second was on Jan. 14) so we're just a tad bit off last year's pace. When you factor in the six sold out 4-hour leagues we're actually ahead of last year's pace. January is historically a tough month to get a lot of non-slow draft leagues done but we definitely would like to begin selling out more Cutlines. I expect the pace to begin picking up soon.
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

ToddZ

Post by ToddZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:46 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Last year at this time we had two Cutlines done (second was on Jan. 14) so we're just a tad bit off last year's pace. When you factor in the six sold out 4-hour leagues we're actually ahead of last year's pace. January is historically a tough month to get a lot of non-slow draft leagues done but we definitely would like to begin selling out more Cutlines. I expect the pace to begin picking up soon.
Thanks Tom. Was selfishly hoping an earlier launch date than last season would lead to more early interest. I hope it's not because the perception there's an advantage to drafting later since I debunked that when you guys were thinking of the 2018 changes.

Have fun in LA -- remember, you can take the LA out of IoLA, but you can't take Iola out of LA, or something like that.
2019 Mastersball Platinum

5 of the past 6 NFBC champions subscribe to Mastersball

over 1300 projections and 500 player profiles
Standings and Roster Tracker perfect for DC and cutline leagues

Subscribe HERE

Tom Kessenich

Post by Tom Kessenich » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 pm

ToddZ wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Thanks Tom. Was selfishly hoping an earlier launch date than last season would lead to more early interest. I hope it's not because the perception there's an advantage to drafting later since I debunked that when you guys were thinking of the 2018 changes.
I could be wrong but my feeling is for many/most fantasy players it's still football season. Diving into a slow draft will work but the real interest in drafting tends to come after the Super Bowl. I think we had 5-6 total Cutlines in January last year so it's still real early for a lot of folks. Interest will pick up soon enough. :)
Tom Kessenich
Manager of High Stakes Fantasy Games, SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @TomKessenich

76erfan

Post by 76erfan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:13 pm

130 free agents out there still. so much hot stove not cooked yet. thats a factor

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:15 pm

76erfan wrote:130 free agents out there still. so much hot stove not cooked yet. thats a factor
+1

As soon as I see where more players land, or Feb 1 (whichever comes first) I expect to dive into more drafts. Can only speak for myself tho.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

Money

Post by Money » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:13 pm

What will live scoring look like this year? In the past there have been some hiccups with YTD stats blinking in and out and am curious if that will be taken care of.

The new site and it's additions along with the ADP flexibility look great. Good luck moving forward in 2018.
Joe

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 am

Greg, who is your top pick for minor league arm that will get the opportunity to have significant fantasy impact? Reyes? Buehler? Flaherty? Honeywell? Kopech? Gohara? Woodruff? Mahle? Puk?

Tom? Your thoughts?
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:01 am

Money wrote:What will live scoring look like this year? In the past there have been some hiccups with YTD stats blinking in and out and am curious if that will be taken care of.

The new site and it's additions along with the ADP flexibility look great. Good luck moving forward in 2018.
The live scoring should look and work very similar to what we had at STATS. We don't have that page completed yet, but we will have the same + and - on Live Overall Standings and other similar features. The bugs we had before certainly shouldn't carry over and that includes what you mentioned above and the issues with Doubleheaders. But we'll know more about this page once we test it out in March.

We know this is an important part of the fun, so we'll do everything we can to get this right.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:47 am

Edwards Kings wrote:Greg, who is your top pick for minor league arm that will get the opportunity to have significant fantasy impact? Reyes? Buehler? Flaherty? Honeywell? Kopech? Gohara? Woodruff? Mahle? Puk?

Tom? Your thoughts?
For me this is an easy one Wayne: I love Honeywell first and Kopech second. I saw both pitchers start the 2016 Rising Stars Game in Arizona and both were hitting 100 mph. They both looked like studs who could be dominating on the mound.

Now Reyes may top them both this year and his ADP in the NFBC right now is 261, ahead of anyone else here. He sure looked like a stud in 2016, but coming off injury and missing a full year makes things iffy. But he could easily be the best for 2018.

Honeywell is my favorite because he has a couple of dominant pitches and I think he's going to be able to combine strikeout ability with good control. He's been dominant everywhere before last year and even then he showed off his skills. After going 1-1 at Double-A Montgomery in two starts with a 2.08 ERA and 0.62 WHIP, he was promoted to Triple-A Montgomery where he went 12-8 with a 3.64 ERA and 152 strikeouts in 123.2 innings. He walked only 31. He's still just 22, and at 6'2", 180 his fastball could even improve as he adds a little muscle to that frame. I talked with someone who knows him well and he doesn't think Honeywell will start the year in Tampa, but he's due for a mid-season callup at the latest and could be one of the real good ones for years to come.

Kopech intrigues me even more, but I'm not sure his control will ever be as good as Honeywell's. At Double-A and Triple-A last year, the 21-year-old struck out 172 batters in 134.1 innings with 65 walks. He had only three starts at Triple-A, so don't expect the White Sox to rush him to the majors right away. But he also gave up only 92 hits and his fastball is better than Honeywell's. When he arrives, fantasy owners are going to love this kid.

I'm watching both of these guys. Honeywell is going 283rd in NFBC drafts now, while Kopech is going 337th. I know Buehler
is a favorite of a lot of our owners and Gohara maybe has the best chance for most starts this year, but give me Honeywell and Kopech for the long run. I think everyone is going to like these two guys.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:49 pm

The DC format is something I've found being less a part of due to the human rain delay factor. I've grown tired of being online and checking in all day just to hear from those slow folks that didn't care about anyone else that I should use Auto1 at 11pm after I've gone to bed. I just don't have the patience for it.

As discussed in other forums, what are the odds of creating an average selection time per player so folks can decide if they want to join a DC league? Thanks.

jvetter

Post by jvetter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:52 pm

In reference to this thread about Cutline optimal scoring, scoring changes, and deadlines(http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p201896), will the new software allow for more fair application of official scoring changes than when the official scoring change happens to take place (such as tracking player eligibility over time)? Or perhaps not allowing any scoring changes?

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Fourslot40 wrote:The DC format is something I've found being less a part of due to the human rain delay factor. I've grown tired of being online and checking in all day just to hear from those slow folks that didn't care about anyone else that I should use Auto1 at 11pm after I've gone to bed. I just don't have the patience for it.

As discussed in other forums, what are the odds of creating an average selection time per player so folks can decide if they want to join a DC league? Thanks.
John, the average selection time is not a cure-all for this format. In fact, in talking with the MFL10 guys they see it as a negative. It just creates more bickering toward those owners who aren't in a hurry. I know everyone wants me to say that yes, this will cure everything, and we'll add it soon. But it won't be the cure-all. It's not the answer.

If anyone wants to do faster drafts at 2 hours per pick, 1 hour per pick, no Pause at night, whatever you want we now have the ability to change the 4-hour clock and make this happen. All of those options won't be on Registration or it would just clog up the signup page, but if you want faster picks in this format we can do it. Or there's always the Express DC drafts or the real fast ones that MTM hosts.

All it takes is one owner not in a hurry to frustrate other owners and we understand that. We are going to continue to make the tools to make your picks better and offer varying time frames outside of 8 hours for those who want it. But at the end of the day, even at 1 minute per pick, there's always an owner or two who frustrates others by taking longer to pick. At 750 picks, it's a format that will never please everyone. But with no FAAB, it's still a good, popular format.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:28 pm

jvetter wrote:In reference to this thread about Cutline optimal scoring, scoring changes, and deadlines(http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p201896), will the new software allow for more fair application of official scoring changes than when the official scoring change happens to take place (such as tracking player eligibility over time)? Or perhaps not allowing any scoring changes?
Scoring changes will always come from Elias, MLB's official stat provider. And we'll always update those changes that we get from our stat provider. Sorry, but we need to make sure the NFBC stats match the MLB stats at the end of the season.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:46 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fourslot40 wrote:The DC format is something I've found being less a part of due to the human rain delay factor. I've grown tired of being online and checking in all day just to hear from those slow folks that didn't care about anyone else that I should use Auto1 at 11pm after I've gone to bed. I just don't have the patience for it.

John, the average selection time is not a cure-all for this format. In fact, in talking with the MFL10 guys they see it as a negative. It just creates more bickering toward those owners who aren't in a hurry. I know everyone wants me to say that yes, this will cure everything, and we'll add it soon. But it won't be the cure-all. It's not the answer.

If anyone wants to do faster drafts at 2 hours per pick, 1 hour per pick, no Pause at night, whatever you want we now have the ability to change the 4-hour clock and make this happen. All of those options won't be on Registration or it would just clog up the signup page, but if you want faster picks in this format we can do it. Or there's always the Express DC drafts or the real fast ones that MTM hosts.

All it takes is one owner not in a hurry to frustrate other owners and we understand that. We are going to continue to make the tools to make your picks better and offer varying time frames outside of 8 hours for those who want it. But at the end of the day, even at 1 minute per pick, there's always an owner or two who frustrates others by taking longer to pick. At 750 picks, it's a format that will never please everyone. But with no FAAB, it's still a good, popular format.
Of course, there is no cure-all for slow drafters. If used well, an average time beside each players name could be a useful tool however.
Most sites keep the average draft times within a draft.
This is a waste of the tool and the mistake most sites make(I'm guessing we can include MFL).
It creates bickering, as said, if one drafter takes much longer than others in some drafts.
If knowing an average drafters time, such as this list, BEFORE the draft...

Dan Kenyon ADT 4:30
Shawn Childs ADT 181:00
Mike Mager ADT 3:00
Scott Davis ADT 9:00
Chad Fleming ADT 25:00

It may help placements and give heads up to drafters what to expect...

If wanting a fast pace, they would know that Shawn (sorry Shawn, just an example) would not be a good mate for a quick draft.
This could also work the other way. There are some who want the eight hour clock and longer times to select a player. In this case, Shawn would be perfect for them.
Within a draft, yes, bickering can be made of time taken.
Before a draft, it could be a useful tool for drafters.
As yet, that I know of, no site has used 'average draft time' in this way...
Could be something for the future?
Just my two cents...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Teufel Hunden

Post by Teufel Hunden » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm

[/quote]

All it takes is one owner not in a hurry to frustrate other owners and we understand that. We are going to continue to make the tools to make your picks better and offer varying time frames outside of 8 hours for those who want it. But at the end of the day, even at 1 minute per pick, there's always an owner or two who frustrates others by taking longer to pick. At 750 picks, it's a format that will never please everyone. But with no FAAB, it's still a good, popular format.[/quote]

I don't understand why we can't just go to a chess clock? 18 hours/owner with a 6 hour stop from 0200-0800 eastern time every night. Once an owner uses up their allotted time then they are placed on auto for the duration. Maximum time for each draft is then 15 days.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:31 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Fourslot40 wrote:The DC format is something I've found being less a part of due to the human rain delay factor. I've grown tired of being online and checking in all day just to hear from those slow folks that didn't care about anyone else that I should use Auto1 at 11pm after I've gone to bed. I just don't have the patience for it. As discussed in other forums, what are the odds of creating an average selection time per player so folks can decide if they

want to join a DC league? Thanks.

Of course, there is no cure-all for slow drafters. If used well, an average time beside each players name could be a useful tool however.
Most sites keep the average draft times within a draft.
This is a waste of the tool and the mistake most sites make(I'm guessing we can include MFL).
It creates bickering, as said, if one drafter takes much longer than others in some drafts.
If knowing an average drafters time, such as this list, BEFORE the draft...

Dan Kenyon ADT 4:30
Shawn Childs ADT 181:00
Mike Mager ADT 3:00
Scott Davis ADT 9:00
Chad Fleming ADT 25:00

It may help placements and give heads up to drafters what to expect...

If wanting a fast pace, they would know that Shawn (sorry Shawn, just an example) would not be a good mate for a quick draft.
This could also work the other way. There are some who want the eight hour clock and longer times to select a player. In this case, Shawn would be perfect for them.
Within a draft, yes, bickering can be made of time taken.
Before a draft, it could be a useful tool for drafters.
As yet, that I know of, no site has used 'average draft time' in this way...
Could be something for the future.
Just my two cents...
I don't expect an MTM type of speed, however I do expect that for the vast majority of the rounds that most are respectful to others. Everyone understands a draft is happening. If someone is in a meeting or busy fine, but it should be a one off and not a regular thing. That's where I think the time notation couldn't hurt at least. There is accountability. I mostly DC Express drafts because of this issue. I would join more contests and maybe others would too with this tool. My three cents :D

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:31 pm

I'm not saying the clock wouldn't help. I'm just saying it's not a cure-all for slow drafts. We will look at some type of average pick per owner within an individual league and see if it helps or hurts. Hopefully this is something that can lead to faster drafts and more participation. We're all for that. If we need to expand this beyond individual leagues, we'll look at the good and bad of that.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

King of Queens

Post by King of Queens » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:48 am

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
jvetter wrote:In reference to this thread about Cutline optimal scoring, scoring changes, and deadlines(http://nfbcforums.stats.com/viewtopic.p ... 91#p201896), will the new software allow for more fair application of official scoring changes than when the official scoring change happens to take place (such as tracking player eligibility over time)? Or perhaps not allowing any scoring changes?
Scoring changes will always come from Elias, MLB's official stat provider. And we'll always update those changes that we get from our stat provider. Sorry, but we need to make sure the NFBC stats match the MLB stats at the end of the season.
There should be a rule in the non-Cutline leagues that "All stats are final as of October __, 2018". This way there can be no dispute if, two months after the season ends, a pitcher has 3 earned runs changed to 3 unearned runs.

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:55 am

Just a heads up on the programming progress: We are putting on the finishing touches to our new FAAB setup and Set Lineup page with the Search feature this week and we will be ready for testing early next week. I'm going to reach out to a handful of owners who currently have drafted teams and have them take a test run through these new features and provide feedback.

We will tweak recommended changes from these owners and then decide on the next steps. If all is good we can shoot a video of the new features and put it on the site, and maybe even make it available to more owners sooner than expected. We feel like we have tested this out pretty well, but we're really looking forward to the feedback from our customers.

I'm sure everyone who has drafted a team already would love to be among the first round of testers, but let me reach out to a handful of you to get this rolling first and if we need more testers we'll make it available to more of you. If all goes well everyone will have ample time to see these new time-saving features.

I'm VERY happy with what we have now. I'm positive these new features will save everyone time during the season, especially on Sundays. Stay tuned and get ready for this feedback, not only from me, Tom and Darik, but by your fellow NFBC drafters who will be seeing this in a few days. Thanks all and stay well.
Greg Ambrosius
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 am

soon to be 24 hours in a slow draft without having made a pick. :evil: :( :roll:

while the switch from 8 hours to 4 hours undoubtedly helps in some cases, in others, it doesn't. if every drafter simply averaged a mere 1 hour per pick, each round would take roughly 1 day, ie 50 days to complete a draft. chess clock looking like the only real game changer in this regard

COZ

Post by COZ » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:21 am

Has any thought been given, or any discussion been had, about eliminating the overall prizes for the auctions & higher dollar DC's and just treating them as Satellites and having more money in league prizes??? I know I personally would prefer that auctions & $400DC's & $1000DC's be treated as satellites & not part of an overall contest. Seeing as typically the higher dollar DC's have a higher skill level of participant, what are the numbers for the 400DC's & 1000 DC's cashing in the overall contest, my guess is not well given they're competing against the candy-ass 150's? And if you were to consider this, how much more $$$ would be allocated back into the league? And why not just make it a $500DC instead of 400 so we would then have the lottery ticket $150DC's part of the overall contest, and a $500 & $1000DC as stand-alone satellites not part of the overall contest with more money put back into the league? More options & choices without handicapping those in the higher dollar DC's. I understand it for the Main Event, the OC, & Cutline, but other than those "National" contests, I for one feel the NFBC as a whole overvalues the allure of the lottery-ticket overall prize at the expense of the allure of league prizes in these other contests.
COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci