Slow pokes and Draft Champion Leagues

Southern Comfort

Re: Slow pokes and Draft Champion Leagues

Post by Southern Comfort » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:57 pm

We just had a guy time out and tried to change pick, Buchar did a double-check and then let the guy know it’s not gonna happen, my NFBC saviors usually get things resolved pretty quick in my book #imjustsaying

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:25 pm

Southern Comfort wrote:We just had a guy time out and tried to change pick, Buchar did a double-check and then let the guy know it’s not gonna happen, my NFBC saviors usually get things resolved pretty quick in my book #imjustsaying
Way to go, Darik! And way to go to all who contributed to the thread.
#alltogetheritworks
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:23 am

I think Philippe27's idea for a total time clock is a great idea. Like him, I usually have been able to make my picks within 15 minutes or so, but a couple of times I had to go to a couple of hours. No idea what total time would be reasonable, but I'm sure Greg and company could come up with something reasonable. Of course, this assumes it can be programmed. In my just concluded draft (29 days) we had a couple of guys who consistently took hours to make their picks. A total time allowance would address that kind of "participation."

Money

Post by Money » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:55 am

There is just a strange sense of complacency that has taken place in the new drafts with 2 hour time limits. It used to be 3 or so players that would consistently take hours at a time off the clock and the rest would go like mad men to keep the thing going. Now we have 6-8 players routinely taking 1 -2 hours per pick, almost every pick. This slows down the draft immensely. What this also does is essentially ends the draft for the evening once the clock gets inside an hour and a half or so of being turned off.

The player clock idea is the only answer that makes any sense up until now. Maybe this doesn't need fixing for many, for me it's just plain frustrating.
Joe

Rotties

Post by Rotties » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 am

What's really amazing is most of the guys that consistently time out absolutely refuse to use auto. We finally have a great tool being able to set separate rounds of auto but some guys would rather time out anyway. They still get the top guy in the queue but make the rest of the league wait 2 hours instead. Guess it's like driving 55 in the left lane. SMH.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:02 pm

Sounds like those drafters who feel entitled to their "x" hours continue to behave the same no matter the value of "x", and quick drafters are punished in the same way just in shorter intervals.

Total time clock will pressure "entitled" drafters to save time for later but still maintain the fail-safe longer times of all for the occasional emergency. The more we see the effects of offering more time per pick options and yet see the same drafters taking advantage in the same way, the more I would like to see a standardized time per pick along with a total time clock per drafter.

I also believe there is a probable difference in the quality of drafter populating faster vs slower leagues, which I find troubling in an overall contest.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:18 pm

KJ Duke wrote:Sounds like those drafters who feel entitled to their "x" hours continue to behave the same no matter the value of "x", and quick drafters are punished in the same way just in shorter intervals.

Total time clock will pressure "entitled" drafters to save time for later but still maintain the fail-safe longer times of all for the occasional emergency. The more we see the effects of offering more time per pick options and yet see the same drafters taking advantage in the same way, the more I would like to see a standardized time per pick along with a total time clock per drafter.

I also believe there is a probable difference in the quality of drafter populating faster vs slower leagues, which I find troubling in an overall contest.

This is true. I thought about this when they started the 2 hour drafts. So I have to battle with the best in these 2 hr drafts just to have a draft move along? Or I can join a 4 hr and suffer through it but be with less experienced or less attentive owners? 4 hr drafts are slow as hell but you seem to be drafting with less attentive and less experienced players. So in an overall I feel I have an advantage over the 2 hr drafts. Just my opinion.

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:38 pm

What would you put the clock at? 25 hours? 30 hours? 40? Pause overnight?

I like the idea. It wouldn't be as painful watching 4 hours a daylight get burned if we knew there was a ramification for it.

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Money wrote:There is just a strange sense of complacency that has taken place in the new drafts with 2 hour time limits. It used to be 3 or so players that would consistently take hours at a time off the clock and the rest would go like mad men to keep the thing going. Now we have 6-8 players routinely taking 1 -2 hours per pick, almost every pick. This slows down the draft immensely. What this also does is essentially ends the draft for the evening once the clock gets inside an hour and a half or so of being turned off.

The player clock idea is the only answer that makes any sense up until now. Maybe this doesn't need fixing for many, for me it's just plain frustrating.
It's weird man. We started March 1st. Round 25 now, but has slowed down the past few days. We'll be pushing opening day. 4 hour clock...What're you going to shorten the clock to? Have several owners taking at least an hour to pick. 2 hours isn't really going to make a difference. It's going to have to be 1 hour or 30 minutes. DC leagues were still signing up this week. It's going to be a wild finish in some leagues.

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm

Greg, Tom, and I are all in MAJOR favor of a "total timeclock per owner per draft"...if we can deliver it technology-wise. As you all know, I am not a tech or IT guy so I don't want to make a grand promise. But if it is feasible for us to implement this for upcoming seasons/sports, we will do everything we can to do so.

We can debate on total time per owner at a later time (would obviously differ in different contests). We'll get you all involved with this anyway. Count on it.

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Darik B wrote:Greg, Tom, and I are all in MAJOR favor of a "total timeclock per owner per draft"...if we can deliver it technology-wise. As you all know, I am not a tech or IT guy so I don't want to make a grand promise. But if it is feasible for us to implement this for upcoming seasons/sports, we will do everything we can to do so.

We can debate on total time per owner at a later time (would obviously differ in different contests). We'll get you all involved with this anyway. Count on it.
Awesome!

50 hrs for DC, 42 hrs cutline (1hr x #Rds) would be a good starting point.

When I looked at this earlier and crunched numbers, I'd estimate most DC's would finish in the 2-3 week range while cutlines finish in 1-2 weeks. I think that would be a reasonable pace for most, also far more consistent than what we have now and allow for more drafts and less admin time per draft. 8-)

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Not sure about other leagues but in my last 2 there have been nearly half who are totally new to NFBC. It’s probably got a lot to do with the casual attitude toward making prompt picks.
The overnight pause seems to bring the idea “if it’s after 8pm and I’m not on deck there’s no reason to log in til the morning”.

We get 1-3 picks overnight and then a small flurry of picks around breakfast time. The rest of the day is 1-2 picks per hour. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

As long as you market to new customers you’re going to have a learning curve.
Maybe the next video needs to be a slow-draft etiquette tutorial.
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Can we have an “I went all day without making a pick” badge?

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:20 pm

BartoloColonsFitbit wrote:Can we have an “I went all day without making a pick” badge?
I'll start printing the 'Don't Be A Dick, Make A Pick!' bumper stickers...

I do believe it is a different mindset among 'bad' drafters.
They' put themselves on auto, not wanting to make 14 drafters not wait eight hours.
But in their minds, two hours or even four hours is an ok time period to make others wait.
Incredible really.
Makes us wonder why they sign up if continuously tardy.

Drafting season is always the same- Can't wait for it to start, can't wait for it to end
On my tombstone-

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:36 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
BartoloColonsFitbit wrote:Can we have an “I went all day without making a pick” badge?
I'll start printing the 'Don't Be A Dick, Make A Pick!' bumper stickers...
Can I place an order of 50 for next season?

California Aces

Post by California Aces » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:57 pm

I like what happen in my league. Two days after Honeywell gets Tommy John surgery, the slow poke picks him. HA!

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 am

Darik B wrote:Greg, Tom, and I are all in MAJOR favor of a "total timeclock per owner per draft"...if we can deliver it technology-wise. As you all know, I am not a tech or IT guy so I don't want to make a grand promise. But if it is feasible for us to implement this for upcoming seasons/sports, we will do everything we can to do so.

That would be tremendous. Not only would it improve the game, but I suspect it would increase the number of participants.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:57 am

I'm kinda hoping the clock reductions in current drafts come fairly soon.
I would rather see a gradual reduction of the clock, rather than just a big reduction at the end.
Four hours to three hours would at least be a nudge in four hour drafts.
My draft is in its ninth day and 16th round. A no hoper.

Any chance of this happening soon Greg, Tom, or Darik?

Also, it was mentioned that an hour may be knocked off the front end of the sleep clock...Is that going to happen?
On my tombstone-

Money

Post by Money » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:14 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I'm kinda hoping the clock reductions in current drafts come fairly soon.
I would rather see a gradual reduction of the clock, rather than just a big reduction at the end.

Also, it was mentioned that an hour may be knocked off the front end of the sleep clock...Is that going to happen?
I 2nd, 3rd and 4th this as I'm sure 85% of all participants would. With the drafting season hitting full stride these slow drafts will be bogged down even further.

This is an opportunity to be pro active and make a lot of players happy. I recommend taking the time clocks down by 1 hour ASAP.
Joe

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:34 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:I'm kinda hoping the clock reductions in current drafts come fairly soon.

BRUTAL!!!!
I've always said that they are losing business by not having these go faster. My reasoning is that most don't want to do to many drafts at one time. So the quicker they get done the more drafts that sell out. Also they have to shut leagues down at a certain date because they might not get done with 4 weeks left to go before opening day. That is ridiculous!!! You should be able to have theses drafts done in less than two weeks regardless of pick clock. Common curtesy would be to pick in a timely manner and not burn 3-4 hrs every damn pick! Most people need to figure out that all of us that pick within secs or minutes is the reason these drafts get done at all. I have spent a lot of cash this year on drafts and I would have joined at least a dozen more DC's if they moved quicker and were offered longer. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And that is why I say they are losing money. Less leagues less rake.

Philippe27

Post by Philippe27 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:11 pm

Gb2715 wrote:

BRUTAL!!!!
I've always said that they are losing business by not having these go faster. My reasoning is that most don't want to do to many drafts at one time. So the quicker they get done the more drafts that sell out. Also they have to shut leagues down at a certain date because they might not get done with 4 weeks left to go before opening day. That is ridiculous!!! You should be able to have theses drafts done in less than two weeks regardless of pick clock. Common curtesy would be to pick in a timely manner and not burn 3-4 hrs every damn pick! Most people need to figure out that all of us that pick within secs or minutes is the reason these drafts get done at all. I have spent a lot of cash this year on drafts and I would have joined at least a dozen more DC's if they moved quicker and were offered longer. I'm sure I'm not the only one. And that is why I say they are losing money. Less leagues less rake.
Totally agree, if they can figure out the total time clock per owner, it'll definitely fix that. They could start drafts two weeks from opening day, just have to do the math and give each owner that amount of time to make their 50 picks.

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Count me in on the total time per owner per draft option for both BB and FB.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas

BartoloColonsFitbit

Post by BartoloColonsFitbit » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:27 am

So far, moving the clock from 4 to 3 hours has been like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic

damien p

Post by damien p » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:10 pm

In my opinion I am all for the chess style time clock.
I brought this up over 5 years ago on the boards, but did not gain any traction. I am glad to see it is now and am hopeful that this could be implemented. The 4 or 8 hour clock would still have to be in place to prevent someone from being on the clock for 20 plus hours.
damien passalacqua

Deadheadz

Post by Deadheadz » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:18 am

Just became apparent at least one owner in my league was under the impression you can’t make picks while the clock is paused overnight.

If there’s a misunderstanding of the clock pause by 1 or more in every league it explains a lot.
How can NFBC get the word out to newbies to let them know to keep making picks?
The Bill Buckner of FAAB
Deadheadz