Slow pokes and Draft Champion Leagues

Yah Mule

Re: Slow pokes and Draft Champion Leagues

Post by Yah Mule » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm

In a draft with someone who is currently timing out on the 28th pick in round three. Apparently this is defensible behavior to some people. I think you have to be giant asshole to do something this selfish.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Yah Mule wrote:In a draft with someone who is currently timing out on the 28th pick in round three. Apparently this is defensible behavior to some people. I think you have to be giant asshole to do something this selfish.
maybe 4slot could take your place

KJ Duke

Post by KJ Duke » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Tom Kessenich wrote:
Gekko wrote:Tom - can the NFBC simply just list on the registration page different options to sign up? 2 hour, 4 hour and 8 hour? Let your customers decide
We have the 4-hour leagues for this year Mark. We're not making a change two months into the draft season. Sorry. As I posted earlier, if people want a faster draft start a signup thread here on the boards and as soon as it sells out it will be created. That's easy to do.
I believe future slow drafts should have total time limits rather than a shorter clock as this gives more leeway to the guy who occasionally needs a full 4 hours vs those that are consistently slowing down drafts. Finishing in 3 weeks is a very reasonable pace for 50 rounds, which is 336 hours of a moving clock or roughly 2 picks per hour.

Proposal ▬ Have a total time clock of 1 hour per pick (twice the avg of all owners needed for a 3 wk finish). This accommodates slow drafters, doesn't penalize the "occasional" slow drafter, and shortens the total # of draft days.
• 4 hours per pick, 8 hour overnight pause standard for all drafts
• 50-hour per owner draft limit (overnight pause doesn't count)
• Any owner that exceeds the 50-hour limit shall be reduced to 15 minutes per pick for the remainder of the draft. This would particularly help in the later rounds for those drafts that have drug on for too long.

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:48 pm

Gekko wrote:
Yah Mule wrote:In a draft with someone who is currently timing out on the 28th pick in round three. Apparently this is defensible behavior to some people. I think you have to be giant asshole to do something this selfish.
Very active today... guessing the park-and-ride was slow today buddy? ;)

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:54 pm

Fourslot40 wrote:
Gekko wrote:
Very active today... guessing the park-and-ride was slow today buddy? ;)
unlike some folks (“4slot owners that work for a living and like sleep clocks”), i can multitask :lol:

Fourslot40

Post by Fourslot40 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:58 pm

well played :lol:

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

thepats wrote:I play a lot of the slow drafts. Really enjoy them but would enjoy more if they were quicker. A 2 hour clock would be great!
We've had two time options each of the past few years in the NFBC and NFFC Draft Champions leagues: 8 hours and 4 hours. We now have one options: 4 hours (and Express drafts).

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread to improve this format going forward. We can't pull IT off current programming needs at this point, but maybe manually we can add another time format like 2 hours and plan for some of these other changes starting in football. We HAVE to get all of the in-season baseball items done before adding another project to the team, but manually we can make another time period work.

If the 2 hour time would improve the experience, let me know. We'll let you know how we can do this and still have a Pause. Thanks.
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

rkulaski

Post by rkulaski » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:52 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
thepats wrote:I play a lot of the slow drafts. Really enjoy them but would enjoy more if they were quicker. A 2 hour clock would be great!
We've had two time options each of the past few years in the NFBC and NFFC Draft Champions leagues: 8 hours and 4 hours. We now have one options: 4 hours (and Express drafts).

There are a lot of good suggestions on this thread to improve this format going forward. We can't pull IT off current programming needs at this point, but maybe manually we can add another time format like 2 hours and plan for some of these other changes starting in football. We HAVE to get all of the in-season baseball items done before adding another project to the team, but manually we can make another time period work.

If the 2 hour time would improve the experience, let me know. We'll let you know how we can do this and still have a Pause. Thanks.
I would love a 2 hour DC option for next year. Preferably for all 50 rounds but absolutely from rounds 31-50.
My experience each year, including my current dc that is in round 43 right now, is that the draft slows down to a snail's pace in the last 10 rounds. I just don't think guys are as excited to check the draft as much after rd 35 (maybe rd 40).

Regardless of 4 hours or 8 hours or 2 hours, it sure is great to be able to draft a fantasy baseball team in the middle of winter. We've come a long ways since I first started playing this game. And were the original DCs 50 rounds ? Or less? I think 50 rds is about right. One of these years my 50th rd pick will amount to something. I've hit on some players after round 40 but not round 50. I will eventually.

Anyways, one vote here for the 2 hour dc option for next season.
Richard Kulaski
Fairview, TN

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 am

KJ Duke wrote:
Tom Kessenich wrote:
Gekko wrote:Tom - can the NFBC simply just list on the registration page different options to sign up? 2 hour, 4 hour and 8 hour? Let your customers decide
We have the 4-hour leagues for this year Mark. We're not making a change two months into the draft season. Sorry. As I posted earlier, if people want a faster draft start a signup thread here on the boards and as soon as it sells out it will be created. That's easy to do.
I believe future slow drafts should have total time limits rather than a shorter clock as this gives more leeway to the guy who occasionally needs a full 4 hours vs those that are consistently slowing down drafts. Finishing in 3 weeks is a very reasonable pace for 50 rounds, which is 336 hours of a moving clock or roughly 2 picks per hour.

Proposal ▬ Have a total time clock of 1 hour per pick (twice the avg of all owners needed for a 3 wk finish). This accommodates slow drafters, doesn't penalize the "occasional" slow drafter, and shortens the total # of draft days.
• Any owner that exceeds the 50-hour limit shall be reduced to 15 minutes per pick for the remainder of the draft. This would particularly help in the later rounds for those drafts that have drug on for too long.
Like many other ideas that have been posted on this thread by those in the know, this one has a lot of merit. However,
21 days is still just simply a ridiculously long time to have a draft drag out especially when you're into the mostly filler rounds of 35 and above. Even at the "lightning fast" pace of 14 days to complete one of these DC's, this would be an average of less than four picks per day per owner! Someone from management or a player who loves the nonchalant approach to these contests please explain to me how it's inconceivable that over the course of any given 12 hour day (i.e. even 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. which is a very conservative time estimate of a typical day's drafting time frame) how it would be a "rush" or stressful to pull off completing one 15 pick round every three hours! Seriously? Virtually no one is that busy or off the grid or their mobile device of some sort that much in any given day especially when you figure in weekends which are typically faster and would make up for some of the slower weekdays. I mean how many 70 year-old men do we have doing these drafts, or at least ones that think like them? :P And any solution that is put into effect can't be left solely in the hands of the player with some sort of pie-in-the-sky honor system that is expected to be followed based on a post somewhere on the boards or in the fine print of the rules. It needs to be turnkey with safeguards built in to keep these drafts fun, engaging, and rolling as KJ has suggested here. Average pick times per drafter are needed. Shorter pick clocks are needed especially at certain points of the draft and certain times of the day. And as I have lobbied for for years, text alerts are needed as well. People may or may not get their emails, but they will always get their texts just like back in the old days when everyone read their faxes when they were all the rage. :lol: And finally, different DC draft player categories are needed as suggested by Gekko which will resolve a bunch of these issues: "Sloth", "Snail", "Thoroughbred", and "Cheetah"...and then some animal faster than a cheetah for the Express Drafts or maybe just "Cheetah with Ass on Fire" :lol: This will then make it obvious with whom each of us is getting into bed with when we sign up for these drafts.

And in closing, rather than single out the quotes or the language used by certain members of the management who shall remain nameless, thanks as always for the passive aggressive replies to the constructive criticism which will ultimately make your contests better and better each year when you eventually cave and listen to us when it finally becomes painfully obvious to you that we are right. And no, I don't think I represent the majority of the NFBC constituency...just 99% of it. :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:38 am

Draft we are in moved nicely first 20 rounds. It's been a round per day since, no good, don't understand why people join these drafts and then don't want to make their picks. I like the idea of having a choice between formats.

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 am

I think this suggestion has a lot of merit and should be considered.

FrozenTundra

Post by FrozenTundra » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

Credit to KJ Duke for my prior post.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:15 am

2HR DCs now created!!!!!

Bye bye slow poke f*ckers!!! May you all stew together in your slow cook draft and that it takes 2 months to complete since you can’t rely on more “attentive” owners to bail you out with quick picks.

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

Gekko wrote:2HR DCs now created!!!!!

Bye bye slow poke f*ckers!!! May you all stew together in your slow cook draft and that it takes 2 months to complete since you can’t rely on more “attentive” owners to bail you out with quick picks.

When can we get a "like" button and icon for these boards? :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

Money

Post by Money » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:32 pm

The Gekko of old!! It has to make some of us feel a bit nostalgic and bring a smile to our faces.
Joe

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

The point is everybody has a cell phone capable of doing these drafts now. Take a bit of time to set your queue and your email alerts and you shouldn't have to hold things up for hours on end when you're forced to make picks while you're out and about.

Over the last few years, I've made picks @ Bronco, Avs and Nuggets games; high school, middle school and rec league football, basketball and volleyball games; probably half a dozen airports. If I know I'm going to be somewhere I can't check my phone, such as a movie or concert, I set my auto one. I know I can't get cell coverage up in the mountains, so my wife and I don't plan trips to Rocky Mountain NP while I have slow drafts running, or I load my queue and let the players fall where they may on full auto while admiring nature's grandeur. None of this is particularly difficult if you possess some basic empathy.

Philly High Hopes

Post by Philly High Hopes » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Just wait until spring training starts up. It becomes commonplace for a select few in each draft to intentionally bleed the clock for the purpose of benefitting from breaking news. They justify it but referring to the rules permitting it. This obviously is not in the spirit of courtesy and fair play, but happens anyway. It only takes 2-3 owners to kill a draft. Unfortunately with 15 team DC leagues, it's likely to happen more often than not. Also, I've found that price point is not a factor. I've seen the same thing happen in the $150, $400 and $1000 leagues.

Eliminating the 8 hour leagues and adding 2 hour leagues is a good start.

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

In 3 drafts right now
Jan 11- rd 37
Jan 12- rd 35
Jan 12- rd 32

Brutal

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm

Baseball Furies wrote:

When can we get a "like" button and icon for these boards? :mrgreen:
boom!! must be good if we both agree!!! :twisted:

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Money wrote:

The Gekko of old!! It has to make some of us feel a bit nostalgic and bring a smile to our faces.
and Joe makes it the Triple Threat in agreement!!! thanks Joe.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Philly High Hopes wrote: It only takes 2-3 owners to kill a draft.
i have a feeling the 2 hour drafts will solve this problem and be a big hit. 8-)

Money

Post by Money » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:40 am

Gekko wrote:
i have a feeling the 2 hour drafts will solve this problem and be a big hit. 8-)
In a 2 hour draft we have a couple of guys who time out constantly. The rest go through a break neck pace to keep it moving and it will finish in a reasonable amount of time.

There has been conversation on chat about a penalty for all of these time outs. Right now you get the top of your Q which doesn't seem right. So finally one of them gets caught with nothing in the Q. What is the penalty? Brent honeywell. It seems just to everyone. Everyone except to the powers that be. He has the pick reversed and it's reversed after 3 more reams have already picked. It's the 39th round so no big deal. It just finally seemed like someone got what they deserved.

The penalty for timing out multiple times has to change next season.
Joe

JohnP

Post by JohnP » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 am

Money wrote:
Gekko wrote:
In a 2 hour draft we have a couple of guys who time out constantly. The rest go through a break neck pace to keep it moving and it will finish in a reasonable amount of time.

There has been conversation on chat about a penalty for all of these time outs. Right now you get the top of your Q which doesn't seem right. So finally one of them gets caught with nothing in the Q. What is the penalty? Brent honeywell. It seems just to everyone. Everyone except to the powers that be. He has the pick reversed and it's reversed after 3 more reams have already picked. It's the 39th round so no big deal. It just finally seemed like someone got what they deserved.

The penalty for timing out multiple times has to change next season.
Why do time-out picks get reversed?!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 am

At the top of our draft queue, it states...'If you time out, your next pick will be'....

It is spelled out for the drafter.
Why should a drafter, on the clock for nine hours, have the option to have his pick reversed?
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Daren E

Post by Daren E » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:23 am

I agree. An owner who times out with an empty q should get the next player in the default list just like it says in the rules. Brent Honeywell or not. That's your penalty. I don't care what the excuse is.
Daren E
NFFC Charter Member
5-Time Live League Champion/Las Vegas