MLB's 10 Day DL Rule - An Interesting Analysis

mkosmoski

MLB's 10 Day DL Rule - An Interesting Analysis

Post by mkosmoski » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am

Major League's 10 Day DL Rule had an impact on our Fantasy Teams in 2017.
Ron Schandler did some good research on this Topic. He compared the 2016 and 2017 Seasons
for the number of players going on the DL and for how many days.

2016 - 478 Players; 31, 329 DL Days
2017 - 533 Player; 30,913 DL Days

This was an 11.5% increase in the number of players being shelved, and
84 of the players only Spent the 10 Day minimum on the DL. This is probably why the Number of Days decreased overall.

Good Research by our Friends at BBHQ.

But what is really happening here?

I bet there was a good chance when you set your NFBC Lineups last year on a Monday, that you learned later in the week
that your Starter was being skipped due to "Lower Back Tightness", or something along those lines.

What Teams are doing with the 10 day DL for their Pitchers is to give them extra Rest during the season. It is a way to manage their innings for the Season. Better to keep them fresh for October than get an August pounding in Coors. Of course, how do you prove this? Teams would never Lie, right? But, if it walks like a Duck, it is probably a Duck?

I would like to toss out the Idea that the NFBC should allow us to make Changes to our Pitchers on a Friday, like we can do with our Hitters. This won't cure all of those 10 Day DL issues, but it would give us a better fighting chance to circumvent them.

So, I propose that we look into the idea of doing 2 Changes a Week(Monday and Fridays for all Players)
This might be too late for this year, but it is food for thought for future years, especially if the 10 Day DL sticks around.

Regards

Mike Kosmoski

Yah Mule

Re: MLB's 10 Day DL Rule - An Interesting Analysis

Post by Yah Mule » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:49 am

COZ

Post by COZ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:20 pm

mkosmoski wrote: So, I propose that we look into the idea of doing 2 Changes a Week(Monday and Fridays for all Players)
This might be too late for this year, but it is food for thought for future years, especially if the 10 Day DL sticks around.
Yes! Doughboys in 3....2....1....

COZ

"Baseball has it share of myths, things that blur the line between fact & fiction....Abner Doubleday inventing the game, Babe Ruth's Called Shot, Sid Finch's Fastball, the 2017 Astros...Barry Bonds's 762 HR's" -- Tom Verducci

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:11 pm

COZ wrote:
mkosmoski wrote: So, I propose that we look into the idea of doing 2 Changes a Week(Monday and Fridays for all Players)
Yes! Doughboys in 3....2....1....

Ha! Too funny!

I would love to beat the drum for this, but the drum always kicks my ass!
NFBC'ers have become more steadfast in their fight to keep every rule as is.
And with each passing year, they become more entrenched in what they consider, 'tradition'.
Hopefully, a majority of younger players will bend ears better than I.
Thanks for the shout-out :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:17 pm

Maybe I can't help myself...Dammit Coz!
I know, eventually, we will go to this. It is just never 'now'.

Last year, the 10 day disabled list.
This year, the season is starting early to accommodate more off days during the season.
We also have pitchers getting extra rest, bullpen starts, and six man rotations popping up.
Not to mention that only one Starter (Corey Kluber) even averaged seven innings a start last year.
Or that our game has gone from a Starting Pitchers game to a bullpen game in the space of 15 years.
There.
Now, one of you pro-active younger fellas, run with the ball!
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!