Review - 2 Hour Draft Champion League

Gekko

Review - 2 Hour Draft Champion League

Post by Gekko » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Through 48 hours, the inaugural 2 Hour Draft Champion League is through 10 rounds. Basically 5 rounds the first day and another 5 rounds the second day. The pace is AWESOME! Just enough time to research and consider players before your pick. MUCH better draft flow than the 4 hour leagues (where i recently went two separate days without even making a pick).

highly recommend the 2 hour leagues.

My only comment is that the sleep clock should be shortened from 8 hours to 6 hours. but that comment is for all drafts.

Baseball Furies

Re: Review - 2 Hour Draft Champion League

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am

What took you so long? :P I won't do one of these at any less than double that pace. But five rounds per day is tolerable and I may even slum and do one of these. :mrgreen: I'm sure my presence alone would bump the pace up another round or two per day. :lol:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

uky

Post by uky » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:54 am

Sounds like a good option for fast/slow drafters...
Bill Cleavenger
Big Blue Nation..We don't rebuild, we reload

Greg Ambrosius

Post by Greg Ambrosius » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:01 am

Gekko wrote:Through 48 hours, the inaugural 2 Hour Draft Champion League is through 10 rounds. Basically 5 rounds the first day and another 5 rounds the second day. The pace is AWESOME! Just enough time to research and consider players before your pick. MUCH better draft flow than the 4 hour leagues (where i recently went two separate days without even making a pick).

My only comment is that the sleep clock should be shortened from 8 hours to 6 hours. but that comment is for all drafts.
This is good to hear. Glad to see both formats are filling at similar paces and people are choosing which format they want to compete in. Choices are always good.

As Darik said on our podcast this week: "Why didn't we do this earlier?" I mean we always had two speed options and why we didn't institute a 2-Hour and a 4-Hour DC right away is our fault. I think we first wanted to see how the 4-Hour format would go before officially abandoning the 8-hour time period. I know I was still a bit leery that everyone would want that "faster" format, but it's worked well.

Our football guys are still asking for an 8-hour option and I know we have to offer that with the MFL 10s, but I think once our NFFC guys get used to the 4-Hour format they'll never turn back. Offering 4-Hour and 2-Hour options right away in football makes the most sense, and with any luck, we'll have NFFC drafts rolled out before the first of March.

All is good. Thanks for the push to add the 2-Hour DCs. Now let's draft!! :D
Greg Ambrosius
Founder, National Fantasy Baseball Championship
General Manager, Consumer Fantasy Games at SportsHub Technologies
Twitter - @GregAmbrosius

mkieffer

Post by mkieffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:53 am

Glad it's going well for you. We are in the 1st round, not even halfway through the first round and about to get our first time-out....

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:18 pm

mkieffer wrote:Glad it's going well for you. We are in the 1st round, not even halfway through the first round and about to get our first time-out....
It’s possible the owner doesn’t realize the draft started. Even so, at least a timeout only holds you hostage for 2 hours instead of 4 (or previously 8)

mkieffer

Post by mkieffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 pm

Possibly. Maybe I just am not built for slow drafting. But the expresses are hard because it's hard to have time to sit there for 50 rounds in 1 sitting.

Probably the perfect setting would be express for the first 24/25 rounds, then slow draft the last rounds. Oh well though.

mkieffer

Post by mkieffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Still in the first round in this league. 2nd timeout of the day, no communication from the owners... Definitely not doing another slow draft on NFBC unless I know the group...... Hope other's experiences are better than mine.

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:59 pm

mkieffer wrote:Still in the first round in this league. 2nd timeout of the day, no communication from the owners... Definitely not doing another slow draft on NFBC unless I know the group...... Hope other's experiences are better than mine.
Sometimes it is better to know the group.
Five hours into the Mia Draft and we're finishing the eighth round.
Shoot me an email and I'll put you on the list for a 'fast/slow'.
These usually last 48-96 hours...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

mkieffer

Post by mkieffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:52 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:
mkieffer wrote:Still in the first round in this league. 2nd timeout of the day, no communication from the owners... Definitely not doing another slow draft on NFBC unless I know the group...... Hope other's experiences are better than mine.
Sometimes it is better to know the group.
Five hours into the Mia Draft and we're finishing the eighth round.
Shoot me an email and I'll put you on the list for a 'fast/slow'.
These usually last 48-96 hours...
Sent you a PM

Baseball Furies

Post by Baseball Furies » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Greg Ambrosius wrote:
Gekko wrote:Through 48 hours, the inaugural 2 Hour Draft Champion League is through 10 rounds. Basically 5 rounds the first day and another 5 rounds the second day. The pace is AWESOME! Just enough time to research and consider players before your pick. MUCH better draft flow than the 4 hour leagues (where i recently went two separate days without even making a pick).

This is good to hear. Glad to see both formats are filling at similar paces and people are choosing which format they want to compete in. Choices are always good.

As Darik said on our podcast this week: "Why didn't we do this earlier?" I mean we always had two speed options and why we didn't institute a 2-Hour and a 4-Hour DC right away is our fault. I think we first wanted to see how the 4-Hour format would go before officially abandoning the 8-hour time period. I know I was still a bit leery that everyone would want that "faster" format, but it's worked well.

Our football guys are still asking for an 8-hour option and I know we have to offer that with the MFL 10s, but I think once our NFFC guys get used to the 4-Hour format they'll never turn back. Offering 4-Hour and 2-Hour options right away in football makes the most sense, and with any luck, we'll have NFFC drafts rolled out before the first of March.

All is good. Thanks for the push to add the 2-Hour DCs. Now let's draft!! :D
There has been a faster DC option for years: it's called the "Fast DC", and people have always loved it and have since its inception. Not sure why faster drafts are all of a sudden a revelation and all the rage when they have been since this option came into being years before the 2-hr option and it's such a surprise that it's popular. Perhaps if we stop comparing football to baseball, and surveying that group instead of this one. Completely different animal...with emphasis on the word animal. :P :lol:

Oh the trials and tribulations of being an unappreciated, innovative genius. :mrgreen:
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." ~Dave Barry

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:32 pm

I am doing $50 DC league. The pace is poor. I realize it may be the level of competitor. But not being there at all.. These all should go to 2 hours and no 4 hours at all..I am #1 and my some of my picks are made at 3am because # 2 is not there a time to go to bed..So a 6 hour clock and 4 hours to pick????

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:36 pm

orangemen90 wrote:I am doing $50 DC league. The pace is poor. I realize it may be the level of competitor. But not being there at all.. These all should go to 2 hours and no 4 hours at all..I am #1 and my some of my picks are made at 3am because # 2 is not there a time to go to bed..So a 6 hour clock and 4 hours to pick????
ya, just go with 2 hour drafts from here on out. leave the 4 hour ones to the owners who like to time out. may they rot with each other :lol:

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:39 pm

sorry to hear this. keep in mind, even if every owner made their pick in 1 hour, each round would take 15 hours, ie, 1 day. so while the 2 hour clock will help in mitigating "time being held hostage", its not a guarantee for a 5 rounds/day pace.

orangemen90

Post by orangemen90 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:03 pm

Gekko wrote:
orangemen90 wrote:I am doing $50 DC league. The pace is poor. I realize it may be the level of competitor. But not being there at all.. These all should go to 2 hours and no 4 hours at all..I am #1 and my some of my picks are made at 3am because # 2 is not there a time to go to bed..So a 6 hour clock and 4 hours to pick????
ya, just go with 2 hour drafts from here on out. leave the 4 hour ones to the owners who like to time out. may they rot with each other :lol:
where is a like button when ya need it..

mkieffer

Post by mkieffer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Gekko wrote:
sorry to hear this. keep in mind, even if every owner made their pick in 1 hour, each round would take 15 hours, ie, 1 day. so while the 2 hour clock will help in mitigating "time being held hostage", its not a guarantee for a 5 rounds/day pace.
I totally get that.... Except we are talking about the first round here. The draft started today at like 10am Eastern on a Saturday..... The pace picked up this evening, we are 2.5 rounds done.

I guess what I kind of expect on a weekend in the early rounds is for the pace to move a little quicker than during the week and quicker than when you are deeper in drafts. I don't know. Doesn't matter now I guess.

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:12 pm

In my experience, the first round could be one of the slower ones because not all owners are aware the draft started. Sounds like you are moving now!!

Gates

Post by Gates » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:09 am

Will it be possible to get the 2 hours Cutline? As we speak I have 2 Cutline slow drafts still going, we are in the 30+ Rounds only and we started Jan 21st and 22nd. Not even a 3 rounds pace per day for a 10 teams league, dreadful. We have 2 to 3 rally killers in each drafts, letting the clock go the full 4 hours every 2 rounds or so. We have lost primetime picking on many nights, from 18:00 to 22:00, only one or 2 picks done. Bring on the 2 hours if possible.

Gaëtan
Go ahead, make my day...

Gekko

Post by Gekko » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 am

After doing a 2 hour draft, the old 8 hour drafts seem so silly it’s not even funny. Heck, even the 4 hour drafts will be considered dinosaurs very soon.

Optimal set-up for me would be:
Rounds 1-29 = 2 hour limit per pick
Rounds 30-50 = 1 hour limit per pick
Assuming this set up, I would keep the 8 hour sleep clock as is. Most drafts would be done in 2 weeks or under.

It’s been my experience that as drafts get into round 30+, some drafters lose excitement as well as attentiveness. Even in the 2 hour league I’m in now, we have owners timing out on a daily basis now that their attentiveness is gone. A 1 hour clock in the later rounds would keep the draft moving for owners that still care. And auto 1 works beautifully. I’ve used it multiple times during this draft.

mkosmoski

Post by mkosmoski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:36 am

I am in this same Draft with Mark and agree with the above recommendation.
Hopefully this is something that can be Programmed?

Regards

Mike K - Frozen Ropes

Gb2715

Post by Gb2715 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:12 pm

I'm in a DC right now. Started in morning 4 days ago. We are in rd 10. Just brutal!!!! Makes these not even enjoyable

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:21 pm

I am in the 1K DC, its our 21st day we are on round 43. The main culprit is Andy Robinson, he has taken more time than anyone, and has timed out 3 of his last 4 picks. He is on the clock right now, I picked first in this draft and was able to make the 2/3 turn that first Saturday.

Since then I have made exactly one turn pick(2picks) each day, never less than one turn, never more, so here we are round 43 on day 21.

I am just surprised that a league that is this high in dollars, with an owner who i see on the sign up list plays in the highest of high in private leagues can just be so non-corteuous to his fellow drafters.

Darik B

Post by Darik B » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:51 pm

Noted, Gekko...noted
Gekko wrote:After doing a 2 hour draft, the old 8 hour drafts seem so silly it’s not even funny. Heck, even the 4 hour drafts will be considered dinosaurs very soon.

Optimal set-up for me would be:
Rounds 1-29 = 2 hour limit per pick
Rounds 30-50 = 1 hour limit per pick
Assuming this set up, I would keep the 8 hour sleep clock as is. Most drafts would be done in 2 weeks or under.

It’s been my experience that as drafts get into round 30+, some drafters lose excitement as well as attentiveness. Even in the 2 hour league I’m in now, we have owners timing out on a daily basis now that their attentiveness is gone. A 1 hour clock in the later rounds would keep the draft moving for owners that still care. And auto 1 works beautifully. I’ve used it multiple times during this draft.

Wolfpac

Post by Wolfpac » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:51 pm

Wolfpac wrote:I am in the 1K DC, its our 21st day we are on round 43. The main culprit is Andy Robinson, he has taken more time than anyone, and has timed out 3 of his last 4 picks. He is on the clock right now, I picked first in this draft and was able to make the 2/3 turn that first Saturday.

Since then I have made exactly one turn pick(2picks) each day, never less than one turn, never more, so here we are round 43 on day 21.

I am just surprised that a league that is this high in dollars, with an owner who i see on the sign up list plays in the highest of high in private leagues can just be so non-corteuous to his fellow drafters.

He has now timed out two more times making it 5 of last 6, now in my opinion he's just trolling and being bush-league

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm

It's a drag when people lose interest after round 30 (or sooner) and drag down the pace. What's really annoying is when you see these slowpokes are joining other drafts while they're driving your draft into the ditch repeatedly. You know, I get that it's more fun to draft Francisco Lindor than Freddy Galvis, but have a heart and think about other people.