In the Year 2018, 25/25

DOUGHBOYS

In the Year 2018, 25/25

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:26 am

There were only nine players who reached 20/20 status last year.
As drafters, we do different things in our minds with that performance.
For players like Jose Altuve and Mookie Betts, it is almost expected, which is why they are in the first round of every draft.
For players like Tommy Pham and Elvis Andrus, we are suspect in whether they can repeat the performance.
And for a player like Keon Broxton, his 20/20 season is clouded this year with whether the strike outs make that an unrepeatable performance or whether it'll be the playing time.
In either case, we shuffle him off to Buffalo in our drafts, which is to say that he becomes an end piece for drafters.

What about 25/25? No, not the song, Wayne.
Last year, not one player reached 25/25 status.
Amazing, considering that so many players reach 30/30 heights during draft season.
How many times have we seen this blurb in a chat room....'Possible 30/30 guy'.
Um hmm, and it is possible that I can win the lottery.

Nobody talks about 25/25.
We prefer the eveness that is 20/20 or 30/30.
I'll take 25/25!
In 2016, Mike Trout, Mookie Betts, and Wil Myers were 25/25 players.
As stated, there were none in 2017.
And, there were none in 2015. or 2014.
25/25 has become the new 30/30.
Stolen bases are not swiped as easily as in prior years.
Heck, last year, only 14 players fulfilled the 25 stolen base requirement in total!
Included in those 14 were 25/25 no-hopers Dee Gordon, Trea Turner, Billy Hamilton, and Rajai Davis.

Let's go back through history with 25/25 in mind.
Carlos Beltran did something that will probably never happen again in baseball.
Beltran had a 25/25 season three times for three different teams.
Lost in the steroid era stats that were 2004, Beltran had a 38/42 year.

Every team in baseball has had a player with a 25/25 year.
A lot of those players are still active.
Or sort of active in the case of BJ Upton and Brandon Phillips.
Curtis Granderson, Chris Young, Jacoby Ellsbury, Carlos Gonzalez, Ryan Braun, Matt Kemp, Ian Kinsler, and Hanley Ramirez have all done the trick during their careers.

Some baseball teams have not had a 25/25 performance for a very long time.
The last time an Oakland Athletics player had a 25/25 season was when Jose Canseco 'achieved' the mark in 1991.
Every time we say that Canseco achieved anything, it is with the use of air quotes.
The Tigers never seem to sign or bring up players with two way abilities.
Their players seem to be slugs for the most part.
Do you remember the last player that went 25/25 for the Tigers?
It was way back in 1986.
A player more noted for a pinch hit home run in the World Series for another team.
That's right, Kirk Gibson was the last player to go 25/25 for the Tigers.
BUT, Gibson was not the last man who had a 25/25 for a Major League team.
We'd have to go 10 years previous to 1976 to find the last 25/25 hitter for a team.
The Baltimore Orioles.
The Orioles have not had a 25/25 player in 41 years.
And it doesn't look like that will change soon. They have never been nicknamed the "Flying Orioles'' .
If any team has mastered the art of station to station baseball, it is the Orioles.

And, I could let you have guess after guess in who the Orioles last 25/25 player was and you would not come up with the player.
So, hints...

The player is in the Hall of Fame.
Most fans forget that he even played for the Orioles.
In that year of 1976, he went 27/28
Most would never suspect that he stole that many bases, but he stole 25 or more on three different occasions.
His power and notoriety was what got him to the Hall of Fame.
Here is the answer if still struggling....

Reggie Jackson

Will there be a 25/25 player this year?
Heck yeah.
I've been told so by many drafters in chat that they have these type of players.
Besides, it's March and we're still hopeful that our roster is chockfull of these players.
The reality however is that it probably will not happen.
25 stolen bases for powerful men has become a high hurdle.
And team philosophy like the Orioles station to station baseball have become the norm in baseball.
Still, we can't rid ourselves of the thought that we have that player on our rosters right now.
It's the way we roll.

(Wayne, thanks for the idea for this post :D )

Edit- Oops, meant to post this under my Stuff...
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Philippe27

Re: In the Year 2018, 25/25

Post by Philippe27 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 am

Nice post.

I'll let everyone else worry about getting their 25/25 or 20/20 guys, meanwhile I'll try and build a team of 17 hitters than will go in and out of the starting lineup and will get me the magic 340/150 for the Main Event

Yah Mule

Post by Yah Mule » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am

Mr October would have taken a run @ 30/30 if he didn't get a Dock Ellis fastball in the pumpkin that summer.

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:10 am

Great post, Dan. I had totally forgotten that Reggie played for the Orioles. Could have sworn he went from the A's to the Yankees to the Angels. Now that is an excellent trivia question! I'm going to try it out now on a friend who's an Orioles fan - no way he gets it!

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

DOUGHBOYS

Post by DOUGHBOYS » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:29 am

Thanks Mike.
Beltran having a 25/25 for three different teams slayed me.
Not surprisingly, Bonds had 25/25's for two teams.
Sammy Sosa was the last Cubs player.
Funny in how many 25/25 seasons happened during that era :P

Be great to finally meet you in Las Vegas this weekend, Mike.
I get a lot of folks who write me asking about the Live Events and whether it is worth it to go.
Yours, I remember most.
So full of excitement and fascination that it would have been a crime for you not to experience what a great time is had at these live events.
You were on the fence then, could you imagine NOT going now? :D
On my tombstone-
Wait! I never had the perfect draft!

Bronx Yankees

Post by Bronx Yankees » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:07 pm

DOUGHBOYS wrote:Thanks Mike.
Beltran having a 25/25 for three different teams slayed me.
Not surprisingly, Bonds had 25/25's for two teams.
Sammy Sosa was the last Cubs player.
Funny in how many 25/25 seasons happened during that era :P

Be great to finally meet you in Las Vegas this weekend, Mike.
I get a lot of folks who write me asking about the Live Events and whether it is worth it to go.
Yours, I remember most.
So full of excitement and fascination that it would have been a crime for you not to experience what a great time is had at these live events.
You were on the fence then, could you imagine NOT going now? :D
Dan - Can't wait to finally meet you after drafting and conversing with you for years.

Oh, my goodness. It seems like so long ago when, after playing in only lower-stakes leagues for my first two years with the NFBC, I was on the fence about competing in the Main Event and reached-out to you for advice. No, I cannot imagine missing out on the last five years of drafting live. It has been an awesome time and I am so glad I took the plunge (and thanks again for the shove off the fence!). My first three years, I stuck to NYC and had a great, great time. Last year, my wife surprised me at Christmas with plane tickets to Vegas because she knew I wanted to check-out the live drafting experience in Vegas. This year, I kind of just casually mentioned that of course I'd be drafting in both locations again. ;) Somehow, she puts up with me, so I fly out tomorrow and couldn't be more excited. There is absolutely nothing like drafting in these live events - so much better than on-line in my opinion. Also, it has been an absolute pleasure getting to know so many fellow NFBC'ers year after year. After initially not knowing anyone, recent years have felt like a reunion of sorts. I kind of joke that these two weekends in March are like double Christmas for me and, in a sense, I mean it. I feel very fortunate to be able to able to do these leagues.

By the way, I stumped my Orioles friend with that 25/25 trivia. After multiple incorrect guesses, I even gave him 1976 and he still couldn't get it. Like me, he had totally forgotten about Reggie playing that one season in Baltimore.

See you tomorrow night or Friday!

Mike
Mike Mager
"Bronx Yankees"

Edwards Kings

Post by Edwards Kings » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:29 am

DOUGHBOYS wrote:(Wayne, thanks for the idea for this post :D )
Now it's been a long 15 years.
"Take no walks" was Kenyon's tears.
Not an OBP league, he always knew.
Now Votto's reign is finally through.
While enduring the constant fight,
"Value" is twinkling like Vegas starlight.
No projections or ADP in a land far away,
Ever and proud, Big Dan fights his own way.

:D
Baseball is a slow, boring, complex, cerebral game that doesn't lend itself to histrionics. You 'take in' a baseball game, something odd to say about a football or basketball game, with the clock running and the bodies flying.
Charles Krauthammer